Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2010, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     
Default I hate tirekickers!!!

Alright, I've gotta vent here! I had really no interest to sell my car as I have just barely finished her! I was approached by someone on this forum about selling my car. I didn't track him down or comment on his posts, he found me. I didn't PM him on selling my car. I was approached via PM about my car and my plans. Until now I hadn't really considered it too much but man did he get others stirring. The wife first said no, then all of a sudden it's like well maybe we should. Then I'm trying to figure all this out, what should I do, if I sell- I'm out, do I buy again, just thinking things through plus and minuses. I go and spend time I didn't have to put it up on a lift and take pics for this guy! I spend hrs writing up emails and descriptions of the car. We actually go back and forth a few emails on the price and then boom... nothing! I mean nothing! What the heck! I know selling something isn't easy and it takes work but this is crappy. If I was seriously selling I would be expecting some additional work out there to make it happen. The fact that I was approached, I was asked to make decisions that I hadn't thought of, spent too much time on this, and then not even a response...

I should have known better given his "newbie" status and less than 5 posts on this great forum! Sorry to vent but I'm just frustrated. I guess next time I'll just say here it is, that's the price, come see it and see where it goes from there! Question though for future, is Cobra Country the best place to market this type of car? Again, sorry to vent but I'm sure someone here will have some great advice on what to do next time around. Thanks, Matt
Old 07-20-2010, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B & B
Not Ranked     

Definitely frustrating. You are the better person and go the extra mile like so many other members on this forum. That is what makes this forum such a great place. Unfortunately, you came across a newbie who does not share the same respect that we all have for each other.

You can observe a lot from just watching.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 408w 500 h.p. 550 ft.lbs
Not Ranked     

If he does not respond (positive or negative)---OUT HIM here.
You may save other members the same aggravation in the future.

JMO.
Craig
Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

DONT SELL IT.....
and if you do sell it....
DONT SELL IT TO HIM....
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Matt'

Question though for future, is Cobra Country the best place to market this type of car?

Cobra Country is a good place to list this type of car and he seems to move them pretty well. He came up to one of our Cobra Gatherings a few years ago and took a lot of pictures and I talked to him about several things. That site has a lot of exposure and if you look at the ones marked sold they normally have a pretty good list of them. But with the economy the way it is, I don't know if it would sell faster somewhere else or not.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 07-20-2010, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

I know it's frustrating but sometimes, those tire kickers turn out to be buyers with a lot of money. Here's a case in point.

About three years ago, I had just finished building my third airplane and she was a thing of beauty, magazine cover, internet coverage, etc. One day this guy emails me about selling her. Same as you, it wasn't for sale, etc. I told him no. Two days later, he emails me again and asks if I was sure. By this time, I tossed out a ridiculous number just to get rid of him. He hems and hawas about the price and my response was "If you want my pride and joy, that's what it's going to cost." I figured that was the end of that. Three days later he calls me and asks when can he come pick it up.

I suspect that you (and many others) will face the same question over and over again. Just have a big number in mind and shoot it to them when they ask. If you get it, great. If not, who cares, it's not for sale.

Sometimes miracles happen.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Some people would complain if they were a cow knee-high in alfalfa.

Poor me. I'm so rich I can afford a Cobra. But I am indecisive about selling my Cobra and feel I got suckered to waste sometime. Boo hoo.

Man-up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZEkFLXh9Y

Last edited by Paul F; 07-20-2010 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: Added Youtube clip
Old 07-20-2010, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
Some people would complain if they were a cow knee-high in alfalfa.

Poor me. I'm so rich I can afford a Cobra. But I am indecisive about selling my Cobra and feel I got suckered to waste sometime. Boo hoo.

Man-up!
LOL....while I think this is a terribly abrasive response devoid of any cobra brethern sympathy and assistance in answering his question, I kind of agree...

The good thing is, you have the pics/text/documentation for following through with a future sale if you choose to do so. The other GREAT thing is you still have the best replica make in your garage!

Belive me though, I sympathize. I'm currently trying to sell a 2005 Lotus Elise that my ERA FIA is replacing. I've had that car sold 3 times now. The pleasure car market is a bit choppy now to say the least!

Good luck to all in the same boat!

- Allen.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Always have a number in the back of your head about a sales price as Indy Cobra suggested a couple of posts back. This number should be one that you would be willing to hand the keys over on the spot if cash was placed on your hood and feel good about the sale.

If you are never asked for this sales price so what but what if you are asked? Over the years I have sold a couple of things this way. Still almost giggle over the deals, neither was a Cobra but 2 great deals and they were just as happy. Why not?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

It won't take Lieutenant Columbo to crack the case of the "tire kicker." If you go back and do a little digging, you can tell that the guy is looking for an "excellent" car at the "median" market price. Doesn't sound like a deal where FIA-ERA is going to be laughing all the way to bank.

I don't get wishy-washy sellers either. Either your car is for sale or it isn't. If it's for sale, set your price. I also love the buyers looking for the deal of century on the "whisper market."

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/427so, ERA GT #2002
Not Ranked     

Matt: Keep in mind the old saying, "You've got to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince." In this economy, it's not going to be easy to sell much of anything for what it's worth except for gold.

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough HORSEPOWER." Mark Donohue
Old 07-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
It won't take Lieutenant Columbo to crack the case of the "tire kicker." If you go back and do a little digging...
Yep, and at the time you could spot it as trouble coming down the road.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The only problem I have with Cobra Country is the limited time frame you ad runs vs the price you pay to run it. It's kind of expensive, so a couple of things on that:

Price it reasonable if you really want to sell it. The competition is keen, it don't matter what YOU have spent on it, it will sell at market value and your going to take a loss, that's it. So, you have to leave the emotion at the door and figure out it's true market value or your wasting your time and money on Cobra Country.

More pics:
Can't have to many, assuming the car stays like it is when the pics were taken it's a good investment (for YOUR own reference down the road) to have some good pics of the build. I did that some years ago with mine, thought I would sell. Took a lot of pics, spent a lot of time doing it. Then decided not to sell, those are the best pics I have of the car. Time and effort well spent.

Tire kickers are part of the game, you got a taste of it, when your ready to sell, reflect on that. It's a stinkin' hassle anyway you cut it, anyway you do it. Heck at least you got an offer, lot's of guys pay the ad price, spend the time and get nothing but tire kickers and no sale. Usually over priced for market value....

What really pisses me off with a used car sale Ad. No price is listed!!!! Man I hate that, now thats a guy wasting MY time, freakin' jerk, if your serious, list the dang price or stay off the air.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I had something similar. I have rims with old racing tires on them for sale here on CC and I get an e-mail from a guy. It was even discussed that the tires were old and that I would not use them to drive on. We e-mail back and forth on the price and I agree to an offer. He then wants me to send more pictures of them. Then he says something about the tires being unusable (we had already discussed that).

We had discussed all of the pros and cons. He made an offer that I accepted (close to 50% less then advertised). Then nothing. Not even an "I changed my mind".

Oh well, What the he!!.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
What really pisses me off with a used car sale Ad. No price is listed!!!! Man I hate that, now thats a guy wasting MY time, freakin' jerk, if your serious, list the dang price or stay off the air.
Or a dealer/manufacturer advertising their new cars "fresh off the boat" with no price. You must contact them first to get a price. What's the big secret? I won't give them my business. I like how the Kirkhams have their price and options listed on their website.

Tire-kickers are part and parcel of selling a car. It is what it is. I like the prince and frog analogy/metaphor.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
Then nothing. Not even an "I changed my mind".
That's just plain rude. I always wonder when someone does that to me if they died or something. Especially if someone else comes along. I've had "X" interested, they disappeared and "Y" bought it. I even called and left a message for "X" to s*** or get off the pot. No response, sold to "Y". "X" calls back, explain I sold to "Y", and that I'd told "X" that he had a deadline. There were two happy people - Me and "Y". Oh Well.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     
Default My Story

Just be patient and stay the course as others have said. Read my first Cobra buying experience and see both sides...
In the summer of '08, there was a 4 year old Blue/White stripe SPF, Roush 402R and only 2200 miles. It was advertised on Craigslist in the LA area. Asking price 55k. This was right around when prices were dropping. We emailed each other and I asked if the price was negotiable. His response: "I love it when people try to 'grind' (not the word used) you down before seeing the merchandise". Ooook. I was willing to do 50k (if it was as clean as mentioned-it was) but I took his response as my exit.
Months later I see the same car in Craigslist. ASKING 49k! So I contact him and say I'm still interested. He was much friendlier this time. He GAVE me the upper hand and I'm sure he thought I was an ass. Oh well. I bought it for 47k and sold it 18 mos later for 50k. The tough guy pro hockey player exterior was humbled by his own doing.
Just shoot straight, be patient and you'll be happy in the end.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
Always have a number in the back of your head about a sales price as Indy Cobra suggested a couple of posts back. This number should be one that you would be willing to hand the keys over on the spot if cash was placed on your hood and feel good about the sale.

If you are never asked for this sales price so what but what if you are asked? Over the years I have sold a couple of things this way. Still almost giggle over the deals, neither was a Cobra but 2 great deals and they were just as happy. Why not?
zacctly, in the early 90's I was restoring a 65 fastback to replicate a red/white stripe 66 GT-350, took me a little over a year working weekends.anyway, my neighbor had watched the process from day one and when the car was in primer and the motor/trans. still sitting on the floor, he comes by one saturday to visit as he often did, I had a large photo of the car I was replicating on the wall and when people came by and asked about color,etc., I would point to the photo and say that's what it'll look like when finished...anyways, I'm sitting on a creeper working on the front brakes as we chatted, after a while I saw him at my workbench writing on something, didn't pay too much attention, then as he's leaving, he says to me: "when she looks like the picture on the wall, bring it over to my house, it's mine", I say "WHAT", he says the check in on your workbench for it.... when I finished up, I went to see this check, good golly, it was for roughly double what I would have in the car when finished!!!!!!!!!!!

I showed it to my wife and she about flipped out and said hurry and finish that damn car before he changes his mind. I kept the check for a week and thought about it and finally told my wife I couldn't do it, after spending over a year on this car, I would hate myself if I'd never got to enjoy it a little, so I told the guy so as I returned his check......told him come see me in a year or so and maybe we can deal....

Since then I've had someone make me an offer at least once a year, I really don't want to sell the car and tell them so, but if they make me "an indecent proposal", then they can have it,but it better be really indecent!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought long and hard on just how much $$$ it would take for me to part with the car and have stuck to that number when asked, anything less and I would never forgive myself, and as I said, I don't want to sell it.....one guy came by out of the blue one day and said how much, told him it wasn't for sale, but if I had to part with it, it would take $$$ this much, he said he understood and left, others pretend to be interested buyers when I know damn good and well they either can't afford it or have no intentions of buying it, just want to act like they can....To those guys I simply say: there's the car, this is the price, you want or you don't, no dickering,no nothing, buy it now or leave me alone.......

But do think long and hard about exactly how much $$$$ it would take to make you part with the car and stick to it, if you don't you may regret it later on........

David
Old 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
... he says to me: "when she looks like the picture on the wall, bring it over to my house, it's mine", I say "WHAT", he says the check in on your workbench for it.... when I finished up, I went to see this check, good golly, it was for roughly double what I would have in the car when finished!!!!!!!!!!!

I showed it to my wife and she about flipped out and said hurry and finish that damn car before he changes his mind. I kept the check for a week and thought about it and finally told my wife I couldn't do it, after spending over a year on this car, I would hate myself if I'd never got to enjoy it a little, so I told the guy so as I returned his check......told him come see me in a year or so and maybe we can deal....

Since then I've had someone make me an offer at least once a year, I really don't want to sell the car and tell them so, but if they make me "an indecent proposal", then they can have it,but it better be really indecent!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought long and hard on just how much $$$ it would take for me to part with the car and have stuck to that number when asked, anything less and I would never forgive myself, and as I said, I don't want to sell it.....one guy came by out of the blue one day and said how much, told him it wasn't for sale, but if I had to part with it, it would take $$$ this much, he said he understood and left, others pretend to be interested buyers when I know damn good and well they either can't afford it or have no intentions of buying it, just want to act like they can....To those guys I simply say: there's the car, this is the price, you want or you don't, no dickering,no nothing, buy it now or leave me alone.......

But do think long and hard about exactly how much $$$$ it would take to make you part with the car and stick to it, if you don't you may regret it later on........

David
The very same thing happened as I was building my house. I was there doing some eletrical work and a fellow stopped by. He said he'd been watching and doing "inspections" while I was building (but never when I was there), and that he wanted to buy it. Now. It would have been a very good "custom home profit" for any builder. It turns out he offered more than I can sell it for in today's market which is below my original build cost including landscaping.

Two things kept me from doing it:

1. We were renting the place next door while the build was going on. If we'd sold we'd have had to find a new place since the developer wouldn't have let us stay.

2. My wife and I didn't want to go through extending our move in time.

Never again. I'm not emotionally attached to any house or car, and so they are always for sale, for the right price.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

FIA-ERA,

Matt you would be helping all of us if you told us who he/she is. Nobody, has to "slam" the guy or gal. We will know, is all..........