14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Errrr..........excuse me Patrickt

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
We hashed this out months ago. I tried to shame him in to getting a stick, but failed.
I do not recall ever being shamed by anyone, well err, no, lemme think on that again....yep, perhaps just one time...... when Jamo bashed my post about a fire in California. John, AKA, tin-man
Old 11-30-2010, 01:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default Its called a Freudian moment......

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQCYCLEWERKES View Post
Sounds like to may have gotten another Cobra.... In more ways the one.
little does this gracefull Gazelle from Africa realize what the boys will do when the Beast of Roushwerkes straps on his torque controller and Erick of Voss Performance hoists them up on a pulley and shoves the combo deeply into the engine compartment of the roller, gasp, oh, oh, but then......well you get the picture, an American Legend is born. Freudian moment, kinky, WTF, is all commin' together, yeah, so it must be the angst fryin' my mind. Generally I am a mild bible thumping church going fine upstandin gent, but I gotta tell ya, this waiting is driving me nuts....... I need a drink. John, AKA, tin-man

Old 11-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That's a nice shot. Do they put the engine/trans in as a single unit? Or do they put the engine in by itself and then put the trans in separately?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks............quite an innocent picture

Quote:
That's a nice shot. Do they put the engine/trans in as a single unit? Or do they put the engine in by itself and then put the trans in separately?
Patrickt, based on a video I saw of Erick at work he inserts the entire engine-tranny assemby and then works his magic putting all the rest of the components together. . John. AKA, tin-man
Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2899 Dart 440 stroker 771 hp w/nitrous
Not Ranked     
Default Black Cobra

John - #2899 has some similarities. Check out ...My friends new superformance cobra on you-tube. It will help pass the time. Hated waiting too...at least you do not have snow to contend with. I'm excited for you!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SPO2820 408W; former ERA CCX 3-3408 owner
Not Ranked     
Default Right around $100k?

Tin-man: When all is said and done how much will you have invested in this turn-key? I'm guessing at least $100k? ($50k for the roller and Ca. sales tax, $30k for the motor, trans and air intakes, $20k for the Voss install and miscellaneous?)
Old 12-03-2010, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Hang in there Tin Man,
I would plan on late January as not much gets done around the holidays anywhere anymore. As I suggested before, given the short itme you will have her every year when on break from China, even it is takes more time let them works out the bugs before you take possession. Roush has a looooooong history of slow for repair work once the customer takes possession and ask for as much paperwork/proof of install as possible. For spending well north of $100K on a car you would think you would get more paperwork than a 2 page receipt of the list of the car and compnents. I would also make sure you ask for Roush warranty in writing (I got none) and scpific things that will void the warranty. Roush is fuzzy on those details but will be fast to try to void the warranty saying you did something worng if the motor has problems. Take it form someone who knows the hard way!
Ron
Old 12-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
Hang in there Tin Man,
I would plan on late January as not much gets done around the holidays anywhere anymore. As I suggested before, given the short itme you will have her every year when on break from China, even it is takes more time let them works out the bugs before you take possession. Roush has a looooooong history of slow for repair work once the customer takes possession and ask for as much paperwork/proof of install as possible. For spending well north of $100K on a car you would think you would get more paperwork than a 2 page receipt of the list of the car and compnents. I would also make sure you ask for Roush warranty in writing (I got none) and scpific things that will void the warranty. Roush is fuzzy on those details but will be fast to try to void the warranty saying you did something worng if the motor has problems. Take it form someone who knows the hard way!
Ron
John, that's pretty good advice from Ron. Have them break the car in for you and take it for at least a hundred miles of driving before they pronounce it "fit for delivery."
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR from Levy Racing 302 FI w/Edelbrock Performer heads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
John, that's pretty good advice from Ron. Have them break the car in for you and take it for at least a hundred miles of driving before they pronounce it "fit for delivery."
I'll do it. I'll do it. Cuz I'm a nice guy I won't even charge you to go to Calif.

Now isn't that better than "what he said"

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes. Finally got around to going to the VA.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Well, I'm not sure I know what to think about this.

Erick of Voss Performance tells me the December 21st pick -up date is off. Bummer huh after waiting for almost a year? Seems Roush forgot to ship a spacer plate and flex plate with the engine and they are currently making them. Are these component integral to an engine and if so does this make any sense that these would be left out of the crate package? I ceratainly hope this in not the harbinger of things to come, I dropped US53,175 on this engine tranny/combo so I am expecting that everythng will work well. Naivette ya think? tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 12-04-2010 at 01:08 AM..
Old 12-04-2010, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2899 Dart 440 stroker 771 hp w/nitrous
Not Ranked     
Default Exhaust for Tin-Man

Tin-Man .....Don't stop now! Check-out Firefly Performance.com Ron is a SPF owner and retired Ford engineer who has designed headers and side-pipes specifically for the SPF. Free flowing and sound awesome! It will be money well spent. They look so much better than stock pipes.The sound..........sets you apart from the rest!!! MT
Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin-man View Post
Erick of Voss Performance tells me the December 21st pick -up date is off. Bummer huh after waiting for almost a year? Seems Roush forgot to ship a spacer plate and flex plate with the engine and they are currently making them. Are these component integral to an engine and if so does this make any sense that these would be left out of the crate package? I ceratainly hope this in not the harbinger of things to come, I dropped US53,175 on this engine tranny/combo so I am expecting that everythng will work well. Naivette ya think? tin-man
The flex plate bolts to the end of the crankshaft and then the transmission torque converter bolts to it. I'm assuming the spacer plate also has to do with the transmission to engine interface. Both are external on the engine and will not affect the engine build.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Flexplates and flywheels are off-the-shelf type items that you can get shipped from Summit in, like, two days. Lykins would probably drive it over to your builder's house personally (and pick up a pizza on the way). If the spacer is anything similar to the spacer that is in front of my manual transmission, that too is an off-the-shelf item. I don't see why this is big a deal.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tin Man,
Dont ever assume the money spent with Roush will guarantee no problems. Those of use that have had the 511 for a while and have spent months sorting it out can attest to the fact that you would think with spending that kind of money would get you better service but it doesn't. What I will say is when the motor is dialed in, nothing else compares. No 427 side oiler on its best day has the pull of this motor but on the other hand the side oiler is alomst impossible to break and there are a LOT of things that can go wrong with the 511.

Many parts while off the shelf from other outside vendors Roush still orders in to their factory then re-ships them so what should take 2 days takes 2 weeks (or longer) I can only use my expereince but I would plan on late January if you were promised it late december. Sorry to be negative but want you to be prepared. No matter how long though the smile you will have once you are there to fire it up will make it all worthwhile!!!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CSX4910 -- your engine is work of art.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisonsnake View Post
Tin-Man .....Don't stop now! Check-out Firefly Performance.com Ron is a SPF owner and retired Ford engineer who has designed headers and side-pipes specifically for the SPF. Free flowing and sound awesome! It will be money well spent. They look so much better than stock pipes.The sound..........sets you apart from the rest!!! MT
I'll consider this switch after I have taken delivery of the standard Superformance, I wanna see and hear what I got for my hard earned gelt. If I am dissapointed I will do the switch.Cheers tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 12-04-2010 at 07:43 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Outstanding.

Quote:
CSX4910 -- your engine is work of art.

This is what brings me hope since it has a wow factor and enough power and torque to satify the average gent so I am hoping all goes well with my 511. It would be a huge dissapointment for me to experience the same issues as CX4910 did. But then Roush has assured me all the issues they have experienced with prior engines have been resolved. tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 12-04-2010 at 07:29 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default John, thanks for this explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback51 View Post
The flex plate bolts to the end of the crankshaft and then the transmission torque converter bolts to it. I'm assuming the spacer plate also has to do with the transmission to engine interface. Both are external on the engine and will not affect the engine build.
after hearing all the previous complaints about Roush, I was exceedingly pissed when I heard this. I though, wow, its already starting and that puts me into a situation where I must fly back to the States in January at my own expense. What this means is I get to spend an additional 4 grand [round trip costs from HK to Lax and back] that adds to the total cash outlay for the cost of the car that could have been prevented if Roush had done it right the first time. John, AKA, tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 12-04-2010 at 07:45 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsullivan View Post
Tin-man: When all is said and done how much will you have invested in this turn-key? I'm guessing at least $100k? ($50k for the roller and Ca. sales tax, $30k for the motor, trans and air intakes, $20k for the Voss install and miscellaneous?)
Sent you a PM. John AKA, tin-man
Old 12-04-2010, 08:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hang tough Tin Man but I have found you have to hold Roush' feet to the fire before they make something right. They eventually did right by me but I was without the motor and car for 5 months. Hopefully they have worked the bugs out.