9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     
Default Roush Engine Failure – Pictures

“This thread is not intended to bash Roush” I need assistance dealing with this problem.

My Roush 451FE with 2300 miles has a rocker arm shaft that broke in two. The nut securing the shaft next to the oil galley rocker came off.

This caused the shaft to bend and brake.

The engine is just over the 2 year warranty and there could be internal damage as well. I called roush 2 times and sent an email, no response.
Question – Is the nut not being torqued a manufacture defect?
Question- With only 2300 miles on a $23K engine should roush be responsible for parts and labor?
Any ideas would be appreciated. Peace, Darren

Last edited by N2VENOM; 11-09-2010 at 10:29 AM..
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Who did you buy the engine from? A Roush dealer or an installer? Get them involved ASAP.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Darren, I have a question. Did you or any mechanic do any maintenance on the engine during the 2+ years and 2,300 miles that you owned it? Or, was the engine completely buttoned up the entire time.

My perspective is that: a) an engine should be checked at least once after about the first 500-1,000 miles and probably every 1,000 +/- miles thereafter and b) these are high performance engines and a two year warranty is a two year warranty.

Having said that, I think I've read threads where Roush has helped folks with broken engines after the warranty period.

It's very unfortunate and I wish you the best of luck getting your car back on the road ASAP.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham KMP500 LeMans- Roush 451 Shelby block; KMP Flip-top with cammer: KMP 289 Bronze under construction.
Not Ranked     

I purchased from Hillbank Motorsports, Irvine Ca. in 2007. I called this AM. They were helpful, but told me to call Roush. Again......

Rodknock, "I have a question. Did you or any mechanic do any maintenance on the engine during the 2+ years and 2,300 miles that you owned it? Or, was the engine completely buttoned up the entire time."

It was buttoned up the entire time.. Lesson learned. Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm curious, do you know what brand of rocker arm assembly your Roush engine has installed?

I'm very, very far from being a mechanic, but did/do your rocker arms have locks on them?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2VENOM View Post
I purchased from Hillbank Motorsports, Irvine Ca. in 2007. I called this AM. They were helpful, but told me to call Roush. Again......

Rodknock, "I have a question. Did you or any mechanic do any maintenance on the engine during the 2+ years and 2,300 miles that you owned it? Or, was the engine completely buttoned up the entire time."

It was buttoned up the entire time.. Lesson learned. Thanks
Did you do the install or was the motor already installed? I would recommend that you get Lance from Hillbank involved. Roush moves slowly, but they do have a track record of standing behind their product.

I had an issue with my Roush motor (that was also slightly out of warranty) and they paid for all parts and labor. If you send me an email, I'll forward the PDF of the Roush warranty claim form so you can kick off the process.

Also, don't proceed with any tear down or repairs until you get Roush involved.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: N/A
Not Ranked     

Hi Darren:

You should call Roush Warranty at 800 597-6874, push 1, then 3. They are not very good at returning phone calls in a timely way, but they will respond eventually - keep calling them. My 402R has had several issues taken care of by them under warranty. I realize your motor is out of warranty, but it should be noted that if a Roush engine is opened without their permission it may invalidate the warranty, so the suggestion that it's a good idea to pull the valve covers and check may not be a good idea without permission from them in writing.

If you don't get any satisfaction from the Warranty guys, I can provide Jack Roush's mailing address if you want to go up the line with this. This certainly should NOT have happened.

grybrd
Old 11-09-2010, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You have a PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

$23K??? Wow, the Roush name sure carries a premium!

This is likely the result of improper (low) torque on the nut, which allowed it to back-off and then the shaft snapped due to excessive deflection at the stress-riser (hole). In-spite of many 'experts' guidance your may recieve, including those from Roush, a properly torqued fastener will not back-off in this application. If they did, we'd never keep main caps attached to blocks or head bolts in heads. This has all the signs of improper assembly.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MK III 428CJ
Not Ranked     

That cannot be correct.
That is you pay that much for an engine and you should check fastners every 1,000 mi, where did that come from?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm curious, do you know what brand of rocker arm assembly your Roush engine has installed?

I'm very, very far from being a mechanic, but did/do your rocker arms have locks on them?
The specs on the Roush site indicate that they use Harland Sharp shaft style rocker arms.

http://www.harlandsharp.com/styles.htm

Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
That cannot be correct.
That is you pay that much for an engine and you should check fastners every 1,000 mi, where did that come from?
Agreed. I have never heard of a requirement that you re-torque your valve train. If you have hydraulic lifters, you almost never pull your covers off period.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys need to read better. It's not a requirement, but a suggestion from ME and I'm more anal than most. Don't check your hydraulic roller cam, no skin off my back. I don't care.

Harland Sharps are good rocker arms, I haven't heard about them having many problems.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Harland Sharps are good rocker arms, I haven't heard about them having many problems.
Well, even though it's a little late, he might want to pull the valve cover on the other head and check the torque on the fasteners over there. If one or more of them were obviously loose....
Old 11-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think the OP is supposed to even touch his engine until he hears something from Roush.

Personally, after about 1,000 +/- miles on a brand new $20K +/- all aluminum FE, I would be spend the time and/or money to have the engine, headers and the rest of the car re-torqued and re-tightened.

Maybe even change the oil with a good oil filter that has a micron rating of around 25.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I don't think the OP is supposed to even touch his engine until he hears something from Roush.
C'mon, this isn't a death investigation. A bolt came loose, his shaft broke, and if he said "I took the other valve cover off and found two bolts that were finger tight" I think that's perfectly fine. I wouldn't go overboard on preserving a chain of evidence -- if he has someone else there with him when he looks at the other shaft, and takes photos, that's good enough for me.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Agreed. I have never heard of a requirement that you re-torque your valve train.
But it is something that you recommended I check when I did my lash last year, which of course I did....

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

Not being familiar with Roush on whether there are direct purchases at retail and Dealer purchasers or only Dealer purchases. Was the purchase check made out directly to the Roush Dealer or to Roush ? If made to the Dealer, might suggest they should be providing direct assistance in problem resolution. Would think that a Dealer has a direct phone number which is not available to the general public. Or, is there a provision in the warranty which specifies how to submit claims etc ?

Roush web site mentions response is within 72 hours, when using their formatted form

At some point in time, might want to consider pros/cons, as a precautionary step, documenting, including pictures, time line etc., the situation to all parties and sending by USPS with signature required on the return receipt.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
But it is something that you recommended I check when I did my lash last year, which of course I did....
You have solid lifters, so you have to remove your covers. And, you had the four bolts right there in front of your nose. And, you had a torque wrench in your hand. Brent, Barry, and Keith can all correct me if I'm wrong, but I would venture to say that none of them ships off an engine with a note that says "please re-torque your valve train after 1000 miles."
Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

From my very painful experience with Roush Iwill say to make sure you have all your documentation in writing of maintenence and service done, any previous communication and problems well documented and be prepared for a long drawn out battle, especially since you are out of warranty. They talk a good game but in my own personal experience, they dont stand behind their product without a fight.
Ron