Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

RET_COP
Bagels it is

JAMO
It’s hard to beat a CENSORED butt

HOT FINGERS
Well, I never got your storey in Crusin’ Style Magazine.

DIMIS
Just look for 1/18 scale Cobra Roadsters (CHROMED) I have over 100 models all are cobras.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
(No doubt, most will blame it on the donuts.)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Drag radials and Half shafts DO NOT play well together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Thomas, I think the half shafts, rear end, etc. will be up to the task, even with drag race slicks (which he apparently does not have). Reports of half shaft breakage are actually pretty rare, all things considered. There are surprisingly robust.

Clutch could be a question mark, I don't know what he's running.

My half shafts were bent like a pretzel. Both universals were dust....

Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We could post pictures, tell stories and cite examples of broken half shafts, and burned Ferraris, all day. It don't mean nothing. It is not likely either event will happen in the upcoming race. Plenty of Cobra's with IRS see both track and drag race duty without incident and plenty of Ferrari's manage to get around without bursting into flame.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

MdMan - sorry to see that. Beautiful car. All the DC-area Cobra guys were a lot of fun, true gentlemen, with gorgeous cars. -Tom
Old 02-22-2011, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All,

Dan ran a few times yesterday. His best two were 11.96 and (I think) 12.05. There were some other times in there that were, um, not as good. On the other hand, he only needs to win 1.

He reports a 60' time of 2.01 and a trap speed of under 120. So to my surprise, thus far we're basically starting out together (my 60' of around 1.91) and the Ferrari is pulling away some (my trap speed of 132+). I'm really hoping to bring my 60' time down.

Reports from the front are that his tires make it incredibly scary and dangerous. He's headed back to the drag strip today to give it another run.

I offered to let him stand on 11.96, and just apply his best time against me, but he declined. He's going for the brass ring, folks.

Note as well that the comparison of my time in Maryland to his in Vegas is misleading, and biased some towards me. He's on a much better prepped track, and with warmth tires grip better; those factors will help my time. But on the other hand, the effect of that elevation, and the fact that I ran on such a cold clear day, means that my times were probably artificially reduced. My best bet is that the times I ran in Maryland would be around .25 seconds slower in LV. Specifically, I think I'm going to lose 40-ish HP, and I'm going to not be as able to pull away.

If you begin with my worst time (other than one screw up of 12.25) of 11.55, add the .25 seconds for the different tracks, and add the .2 seconds I spotted Blitz, then I'm at 12.0 and he's at 11.96! That of course is my worst time compared to his best time, but those two opposites could line up. So a lot of who wins this thing depends on how much we each improve at this point.

I've mentioned several things that I believe will get me .3 to .4 in improvement. No doubt, Dan can do better as get gets more comfortable. We'll see!

In terms of the date we run the race, we're still working to find a date in March that works.

-Tom

Last edited by tommygold; 02-22-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Old 02-22-2011, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Tom - you should come out in the spring and join us at Cars and Coffee in Great Falls (lots of classics and exotics, including lots of Ferraris) and then our Cobra breakfast afterward.

Hopefully we can figure out another track day too so more of us can join. A CACC track day has been on our list of events to do.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DCd - I look forward to it. Best, Tom
Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Yep, not gonna be a race unless Dan is allowed to change tires. Those 15" BB's are outdated and worthless compared to Tom's 20" 295-35 Michelin Pilot Sports, that Ferrari says are "specially tuned for the car".
Tom said Dan had grooved slicks on his Kirkham and that he was OK with that. Well, that's all drag radials are.........a grooved slick (cheater slick).
Allow Dan to run BFG Drag radials on the back Tom and at least make this a decent race! Dan's only other chance was for you to screw up the start and even THAT'S gone out the window since you guys aren't using a tree.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

T-SPF, With Dan's current (barely death defying) times, it's already a race, albeit so far one that depends on my have a bad time and him having his best. (I did incidentally have one 12.25, so anything is possible.) But even if you take my average time of 12.45, that's probably 12.9-12.0 with adjustments (before I start improving), and he's already at 11.9 without much track practice (though I don't think he can get on the track after today). A tire change isn't happening. Just to repeat, the point here isn't to have the fairest race between the cars -- if it were, I wouldn't have to win all three. (I don't actually have the Michelins by the way; I have Pirelli Corsas -- 295/35/20; and he doesn't have billboards, he has some Goodyear tire that looks like them but is some sort of track slick.) I think he's over at the strip now, and for all we know he's going to report back that he dropped it into the 10s. (I've been checking online sites for word of a crash at LVMS, and nothing to report there so far.)

Last edited by tommygold; 02-22-2011 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-22-2011, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

You're right Tom. My bias for Cobra's is getting in my way of seeing the true nature of what we're talking about here. As you say, this isn't about the "fairest race"..........this is a BET. -You were just a better negotiator, that's all.

I guess that's why you're a lawyer and Dan's a poker player.
You negotiate what's in the best interest of your client (which is YOU on this case), and Dan makes high stake bets that can be a little crazy (odds aren't in his favor) and hopes for a bluff that will get him a win.
-Odds aren't in his favor here.

Cudos to you for negotiating the better terms counselor.

BTW- Those Pirelli Corsas are bad-ass tires too.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 02-22-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dan reports: blew his clutch. Track is closed until race day, which is now confirmed as March 9, 2011.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-427 stroker
Not Ranked     

I know the feeling. This video is from the day when Tommy G rented the track in Maryland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Szkodsfjws.....
Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've gone through a few clutches myself, which is only one of several reasons I think the clutch is at more risk than drive train parts.

My current clutch is the strongest I've ever run to date. It does have some slight chatter on take off because it's designed to hook up, not slip. The chatter is insignificant, compared to replacing the clutch! If I blow THIS clutch, I'm going dual disc next time, the chatter don't matter.

...on a side note, the Bahrain F1 race has not been cancelled, instead, it will now be run with tanks! Check out THIS Ferrari weapon of choice.

Last edited by Excaliber; 02-22-2011 at 05:19 PM..
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

458 on speed now!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

Ok so after I was kind enough to change the date w/o a penalty to Tom and was allowing him to **** me on my tires after we specifically agreed i got slicks, he is now trying to cheat and have ferrari Wynn "tune" his car for race gas and change his shift points so he can rev higher. When we made the bet he agreed to have his car "bone stock" and as he bought it with nothing at all done to it. We have set the race date for March 9th and I already paid for the track, sadly for me the track is closed until the 8th, and I am gonna have to wait to see if my clutch is completely toast and how long it will take to replace it with the exact same one if it is unusable. I'll keep you posted as Tom continues to try and be a weasel.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzforce View Post
I'll keep you posted as Tom continues to try and be a weasel.
Them's sounds like fight'in words!!!

Come on Tommy - take the bait, dam it...!

I have a heap more pop corn to get thru.

Ahhh, I'm loving this thread.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Blitz - I'm sure we could throw out some similar suggestions to help even things up if you'd like.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Think Hot Lap Tire Treatment

Blitzforce,

Old 02-23-2011, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Blitz is so funny late at night when he is, um, medicated. He gets his car tuned to race and screams (literally) when I go to have my car tuned. I can't change the car, so doing something that would make it more capable of taking race gas would be out of bounds. It takes 103 octane out of the box, and the hilarious thing is that Blitz knows it. I don't know what would make him think I was doing something to change its fuel capability other than those crazy chemicals, combined with the fact that each time something goes bad at the track he gets hyper-paranoid. If he's getting his car tuned, so am I; that's all. Blitz is also working hard to figure out whento shift. So I want to tell my car to shift at its max revs (9150) rather than redline (9000) but this is somehow a foul? Mods, are we sure we can't do another poll, because I wanted everyone to vote on whether his screenname should be blitzfarce or blusterf@ck. HeHe.

Last edited by tommygold; 02-23-2011 at 04:47 AM..
Old 02-23-2011, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Blitzforce has no computer to tweak

Novitec Rosso has wielded some magic with the Ferrari 458 Italia, a reprogrammed ECU with newly calibrated mapping for ignition and injection. The tuners raise output of the two-seat berlinetta to 609 hp--up noticeably from 570 hp in conventional configuration. Top speed is raised from 202 mph to 205 mph.