Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02423 KCR 445W 611hp 599ft lbs
Not Ranked     
Default Best way to adjust rear coil overs for proper height on my SPF

I am told that the ride height for the Superformance Cobra should be 27" from finished floor to bottom of wheel lip measured at the axle centerline. My front is about an 1/8" shy...not bad but the rear is squatting and needs to be raised about 3/4". My question is what is the best way to do this procedure if you don't have the proper coil over wrench or wrenches. Would it be best to acquire these tools to do the job or use a blunt instrument and hammer to spin the ring? Can this procedure be done with the wheel on while raised above ground? I know there are many variables but anyone with experience know about how many turns it will take to raise the rear approx. 3/4"? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Assuming you have Bilstein Shocks, just give them a call and purchase 2 wrenches. Very inexpensive and makes the job much easier. Check the rear spring upper brackes while you are there.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 02-28-2012, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Blas...I agree with the wrenches. My car is 2423 so I believe they are the Bilstein Shocks. I'll call to see if I can get some ordered unless some club member has a set they would like to get rid of.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Okay. Not having any luck getting on the Bilstein website. Looking for a contact number should anyone out there have a number handy. Also, what information will be needed to acquire the proper wrenches. I found 2305BE5-6413-MO engraved in the housing. Housing diameter appears to be 2". Went to Summit and Jegs website and nothing exclusively for Bilstein. All other Bilstein wrench searches only brought up tools for tuners. Anybody have a source please let me know.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman1961 View Post
Okay. Not having any luck getting on the Bilstein website. Looking for a contact number should anyone out there have a number handy. Also, what information will be needed to acquire the proper wrenches. I found 2305BE5-6413-MO engraved in the housing. Housing diameter appears to be 2". Went to Summit and Jegs website and nothing exclusively for Bilstein. All other Bilstein wrench searches only brought up tools for tuners. Anybody have a source please let me know.

Just get the wrench for the qa 1 at Jegs and it will work just fine for the Bilsteins...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Just Google Bilstein spanner wrenches and you'll find plenty. Lots of companies make and sell suitable spanners. You'll need to know notch or pin style I think.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar LS 427, Keith Craft 501,Toploader
Not Ranked     

It's just a spanner wrench, they do all coil-overs. Get it at Jegs.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Could someone be specific with a part number? The locking ring is smaller than the adjustable ring. Just want to make sure I get spanner tools that works for my application. I'll call their tech line to see if they can help but I have my doubts they will know the information I seek.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Could someone be specific with a part number? The locking ring is smaller than the adjustable ring. Just want to make sure I get spanner tools that works for my application. I'll call their tech line to see if they can help but I have my doubts they will know the information I seek.
Jegs part # QA1 T120W sells for 16.99 and if your lucky they'll send you a free cap!
This will work on the lock ring as well...
Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

That 27 inches can vary based on tire sizes. It's best to measure from the center of the wheel to the top of the arch, or from the floor to the frame.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance SP02228, ROUSH 402R w/custom DiVinci Performance Carb.
Not Ranked     

If you have not joined SCOF, you should think about it. their tech library will have all the info you could possibly need. spunky conversations as well, one of my favorite parts of the day is reading the forum!

Superformance Cobra Owners Forum
Old 02-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Isn't anyone gonna tell him that if he needs to check his corner weights after adjusting his ride height, or do you guys not bother with that....?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just for your info,if you plan to do any aggressive road courses or even drive the car harder than normal you should have the suspension scaled after your ride height is established.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the part numbers!! I also considered the tire size. I figured since I have the factory 275 rear tires that the 27" dimension would apply. I know it would be a lot of fun...as of now their will be no tracking of the car. Just pleasurable street driving!

Last edited by Pman1961; 02-29-2012 at 05:09 AM..
Old 02-29-2012, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Patrick,
Ok, Ill bite. Who is “you guys”? Do you have anything to offer to this discussion other than your ever-present distain for SPF and baseless E(RA)litism?
As is typical, you insult ALL SPF owners and add nothing to the discussion.
You suggest “corner weighting” a street car on street tires is beneficial? Please tell us oh high performance Guru, the benefit for the guy that just wants a “pleasurable street driver” By the way, you run a 235/295 P-car tire combo and your preaching to us about corner weight? I hope everybody laughs at you like I do.

If your not here to add to the conversation, go back to your bestiality web sites…That you know so little is clearly evident.

Jason
Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

You Need to put the car on scales. It is a must for a properly balanced car and driving experience. Just measuring ride height will never get you close enough.

Quote:
Thanks for the part numbers!! I also considered the tire size. I figured since I have the factory 275 rear tires that the 27" dimension would apply. I know it would be a lot of fun...as of now their will be no tracking of the car. Just pleasurable street driving!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-CEL View Post
Patrick,
Ok, Ill bite. Who is “you guys”? Do you have anything to offer to this discussion other than your ever-present distain for SPF and baseless E(RA)litism?
As is typical, you insult ALL SPF owners and add nothing to the discussion.
You suggest “corner weighting” a street car on street tires is beneficial? Please tell us oh high performance Guru, the benefit for the guy that just wants a “pleasurable street driver” By the way, you run a 235/295 P-car tire combo and your preaching to us about corner weight? I hope everybody laughs at you like I do.

If your not here to add to the conversation, go back to your bestiality web sites…That you know so little is clearly evident.
Of course I was insulting SPF; I insult every car other than ERA... it's part of my shtick. I stand by corner weighting for a street car. I had ERA do it, but my local club has a set of scales and we put all of the cars on them (including mine). It's not a big deal and I, personally, believe it makes a big difference and it costs absolutely nothing. Ask anybody who had their weights "out of whack" on a street car and then had them set properly.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SUPERFORMANCE w DOUG MEYER ENGINE
Not Ranked     

Hi Pman
You have a 600hp car. For your own safety the suspension should be set up perfectly, not guesstimated
Old 02-29-2012, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Patrick---Quite possibly D-Cel 's car had the corner weights off when he got sideways stopping in the wet and got rear ended---
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Patrick---Quite possibly D-Cel 's car had the corner weights off when he got sideways stopping in the wet and got rear ended---
He was lucky that he was not very seriously hurt. Jason's heart is in the right place -- he just gets mad at me really fast.