LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2002, 06:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Rumor has it...

Doug,

Rumor has it that Jimmy's Excalibur with a monster 514 stuffed in it will be on the street this week!

BEWARE...You'll need more than a supercharger!

Also, I had a chance to visit with DLS in Green Bay and check out his newly acquired Excalibur. He's done some really nice modifications and has others planned! Great guy! Great car!

What do you think about getting the Milwaukee area Excalibur "Gang" together some day/evening?

Can you contact Todd and the green #31 that you located?

BTW...Did Todd sell his Blue #71?

Tom

PS Eric...did you ever get your brakes straightened out?
Old 07-22-2002, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would like to get together. Let me know when and where.

Dennis
Old 07-22-2002, 08:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

HI, DOUG,

I SHOT A BLANK ON THE SUPERCHARGER. I WANTED TO INSTALL A KENNE-BELL 9 PSI BLOWER. IT FIT ONTO THE ENGINE JUST FINE BUT WE COULD NOT CLOSE THE HOOD. AT CONTACT THE HOOD WAS OFF THE BODY BY 4 INCHES AT THE REAR. EVEN IF WE HAD INSTALLED THE 351W ENGINE MOUNTS AND GAINED ANOTHER 3/4 INCH IT STILL WOULD NOT HAVE WORKED. I EVEN CONSIDERED CUTTING THE HOOD ( ABOUT 4" X 4 ") TO ACCOMODATE THE FRONT PULLY/SHAFT AND WE STILL WOULD HAVE BEEN ABOUT 2 INCHES OFF THE BODY. AN ENTIRELY NEW CUSTOM HOOD WOULD BE THE ONLY WAY TO GO BUT I JUST DON'T WANT TO SCREW-UP THE GREAT LINES OF THE EXCALIBUR WITH SOME ABOMINATION.

GAME PLAN RIGHT NOW IS TO GET THE GT-40 RUNNING PROPERLY. I THINK I MIGHT HAVE THE COOLING PROBLEMS FIXED. FINAL BLEED AND TEST RUN AT HIGH RPM TODAY (96 DEGREES AND 75% HUMIDITY - A GOOD TEST. IF THAT WORKS THEN THE ERA COBRA COMES OFF THE LIFT IN THE OLD BURNED OUT GARAGE - GOES INTO THE SHOP TO HAVE THE FLYWHEEL REPLACED AND A NEW STARTER AND A TUNE-UP / CLEAN-UP. THEN IT GETTS DRIVEN TO THE UPHOLSTERY SHOP TO HAVE THE NEW TOP AND SIDE WINDOWS AND TONEAU COVER FITTED AND INSTALLED. NEXT STOP IS THE PAINT SHOP. IT HAS THE LEAST AMOUNT OF PAINT DAMAGE OF THE THREE. AT THAT POINT I WILL HAVE "ONE CAR" COMPLETELY DONE AND ON THE ROAD.

NEXT STEP IS TO GET THE GT-40 INTO THE PAINT SHOP AND DETAILED. TWO DOWN - ONE TO GO.

LASTLY - BACK TO THE EXCALIBUR - I'M GOING TO INSTALL A SET OF TRICK-FLOW ALUMINUM HEADS, AN IMPROVED INTAKE SYSTEM, AND A SLIGHTLY HOTTER CAM AND BIGGER INJECTORS. I SHOULD BE ABLE TO ADD A RELIABLE 100 HP USING THE ENGINE ONLY AND JUST A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS OVER WHAT THE KENNE-BELL WOULD HAVE COST.
LAST STOP IS TO GET THE EXCALIBUR INTO THE PAINT SHOP FOR A COMPLETE RE-PAINT.

BY THE TIME ALL OF THAT IS DONE I SHOULD HAVE THE NEW HOUSE WELL UNDER WAY AND THE NEW GARAGE / SHOP FINISHED.

I REALLY WANTED THAT KENNE-BELL BUT THAT'S RATHER LIKE ICE WATER IN HELL. SOMETIMES WE JUST DON'T GET WHAT WE WANT. I BELIEVE THAT I'LL BE JUST AS HAPPY - MAYBE MORESO WITH THE ENGINE MODS INSTEAD.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 07-22-2002, 09:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Still interested?

Les

Excalibur Cobra #20 (Green) is for sale in Green Bay, WI (One owner 3000 miles $35,900)

and #71 (Blue) is for sale in Milwaukee, WI ($46K)

Tom

Last edited by ohekk; 07-22-2002 at 12:58 PM..
Old 07-25-2002, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

Hi Blackjack,

Hey, I want to join your car club. Sounds like you could provide the cars, and what great choices.

Which one do you like best?, and how does the Excalibur compare to the other 2.

It's a miracle that the fire was hot enough in the garage to ruin the paint, but not melt the bodies. Those would be hard cars to have to replace.

Did you try any other supercharges? I know the factory offered one as an option so there must be at least one that fits.

Are you going to do anything about the exhuast. There must be better catalytic converters available now that are less restrictive. I'll bet the stock system steal 25 HP. I get tested here so I can't just rip the whole thing off.

I love mine. It's all Black with no stripes like yours and has saddle interior. Needless to say it always attracts attention. I've had it on the track and it handles great. Took it on a motorcycle rally with a bunch of freinds with bikes awhile back and kept up with all the crotch rockets. It does need another 100 HP or so, but that will come when the econopmy improves. Theres really almost no limit to what you can do to a 5 Liter if you want to spend the money.

I love the Excalibur because it's a little bigger and more comfortable, plus you sit a little lower so the wind isn't as bad. The build quality seems very good. I wish I could drive some of the other replcas to compare, but havn't had the chance. I also think the longer body gives it better lines.

I also love it because it's not a Porsche, which are great cars, but are becoming more common around here than Volkswagons. I think it just takes more imagination to drive an Excalibur Cobra.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1994 Excalibur Cobra. Red with white stripes and black leather interior. 5.0 with 5 speed. Upper and lower A frames with standard coil spring. It sounds like SOME later models had coil overs up front? Cool, I want coil overs too, ha ha! 150 lb spring in the rear.

I have the 9" read end with posi. My tach reads 7000 and it is really 6000. Confirmed, temp gauge reads higher than actual.

Vin: 1XACA2312RM123033

I am top ten in SCCA points in Hawaii and running against some VERY prepared cars and holding my own! My first "serious" year. The big block Cobras cannot keep up on the short courses, I eat them up in the corners. Could be they just not good drivers? I think their front end is to heavy. Carol Shelby found the same thing, the 289's were faster on the road course than the big blocks!

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-05-2002 at 09:59 PM..
Old 08-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1994 Exclaibur Cobra, Vin #3033. More details after reading ALL the posts again!

Polished front calipers replaced with Dynalite Wilwood calipers. exact match!

Front springs (were sagging, to low on the ride height) were replaced with Mustang II 1978 V-6 with AC front springs CUT DOWN to 10 inches high. This raised ride height by about one inch. Tubular A arm suspension with typical coil spring set up.

The 245X50X16 25" tall front tires were replaced with 255X50X16 25.5" tall (same as in the rear). Going to Yokohama 245X50X16's in the front (they are 24.5 inch tall) for road racing application.

Third brake light. Soft top and Tanue cover. IS there a HARD TOP AVAILABLE??? Would like to buy!

Cat Converters and smog pump removed, HUGE difference in horse power! FEEL the extra thrust! WHO makes side pipes? Heard rumors the body is a knock off on Classic Roadsters. An engineer guy that worked for Classic went to work for Excalibur! The frame is all Excalibur and the Classic Roadsters headers won't fit.

McKenna Ford dealer sold the cars here locally in Hawaii. I'm trying to find the Hawaii cars. My car was originally bought on the mainland and shipped to Hawaii. I am the second owner with 12000 miles on it now.

I suspect average price would be about 32 to 35,000 (kinda low for such excellent quality)! SUPERB road racing car but short on horse power!

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-05-2002 at 10:01 PM..
Old 08-13-2002, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.excaliburautomobile.com/Pages/homeus.htm

Hope this link works! A French Excalibur web site that has some good "brochures" posted on the Cobra!
Old 08-18-2002, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Hardtop

Hi Excaliber,
I got a Hardtop, bought it together with the car. Far as I know it was made by the Dealer himself. It is not for sale, just to show.
I`ll try to post a picture.

Aloys
Old 08-18-2002, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Hardtop

More later.
Aloys
Old 08-18-2002, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hardtop

Pic
Old 08-18-2002, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Unhappy Sorry

Hi Folks,
sorry for the mess, I`ll try again later!
Aloys
Old 08-18-2002, 02:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Keep trying! Would love to see the hardtop pic. Hmmm,,,,wonder how I could get one made......
Old 08-28-2002, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I HAVE EXCALIBUR #121. IT IS A 1996, 302 HD TRUCK BLOCK WITH A KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER, NOW 450 HP, 3.73, 8.8 REAR, 5 SP W .68 OD IN 5TH, AIR COND. RED WITH BLACK LEATHER, ETC. IT HAS BEEN A FUN CAR, 10000 MILES AND LOTS OF AVAILABLE SUPPORT FROM KENNE BELL. THE GUYS AT EXCALIBUR IN MILWAKEE TOLD US 165 CARS WERE PRODUCED. HE ALSO REMEMBERED TESTING MY CAR WITH THE BLOWER. GOOD PEOPLE. THEY STILL LOVE CARS. MUCH MORE FUN THAN THE TRAILERS THEY NOW BUILD.
I ALSO RECOMMEND UNIQUE COBRA, GADSTEN AL, MY FIRST SNAKE. GREAT CAR, GREAT SUPPORT.
I AM IN LIGHTHOUSE POINT, SOUTH FL AND WOULD ATTEND AN EVENT IN CENTRAL FL.
NICE TO SEE THE LOST EXCALIBURS SURFACING, B. SMITH
Old 08-29-2002, 12:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, I been trying to find out how many Excalibur Cobras were built forever! So, it looks like 165! Interesting! I was told when I bought mine it wouldn't do that well in an SCCA event. But I'm holding my own and finding the car does very well indeed!

A super charger! Very cool, I want one, ha ha.

Ernie
Old 09-04-2002, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default NEED HELP ON FRONT BRAKES !!!

HI, GUYS:

MY EXCALIBUR IS A 1995 - PROBABLY AN EARLY ONE BECAUSE IT HAS A '94 ENGINE.

OTHER POSTS ON THIS THREAD INDICATED THAT SOME OF THE FRONT BRAKES ARE FROM A 1979 GRENADA AND ANOTHER MENTIONED A 1982 MUSTANG V-8.

I APPARENTLY HAVE NEITHER.

I HAVE A FRONT BRAKE THAT IS "DRAGGING" AND SPREADING BLACK SOOT ON THE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL. (WHILE AT THE SAME TIME WEARING DOWN THE PADS). MY MECHANIC SAID THE CALIPER WAS THE PROBLEM BUT IT IS DEFINATELY NOT FROM A MUSTANG OR A GRENADA.

IT IS A FOUR PISTON STAINLESS STEEL CALIPER. HE SAYS IT'S REBUILDABLE IF WE CAN DETERMINE WHAT KIT TO ORDER TO REBUILD IT.

ANY ADVICE OR RECOMMENDATIONS HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS, AND, Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY.

BLACKJACK
Old 09-04-2002, 08:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobraeric in Germany had similar situation and found the calipers
to be Wilwood.

Tom
Old 09-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Blackjack, Haven't seen you post in awhile. I guess things are getting better around your house!

Still don't know what calipers I DID have, but replaced them with Wilwood. The old were polished aluminum (looks like stainless steel, maybe it was?). Four piston Wilwoods just like the old ones. Mine were dragging also! I was able to get a diagram off their web site that showed the deminsions (thickness, mounting holes, etc.) sure enough, it was an EXACT match. I ordered pads, brake fluid and calipers for about $380 bucks. Wilwood refered me to a "dealer" in Calif. to make the actual purchase. Man, these new brakes are great!

Front end was a "little" to low. Got new 1978 Mustang II coil springs for a V-6 with AC. Then CUT them down to 10" in height (or same height as the old springs in other words). This raised the car by 1/2 to 3/4" in ride height. I suspect the OLD springs were "sagging". Now it's perfect, I JUST clear the speed bumps around my house! AND, the car handles better than ever!
Ernie

Anyone know what springs fit the back? Mine have a tag that says 150 lbs, which is WAY to weak.

94 model with a 93 engine.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-04-2002 at 09:28 PM..
Old 09-04-2002, 11:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool Excaliber Hard Top (Aloys in Germany)

ALOYS sent me these pics of his Excalibur Hard Top. I had to "cut them down to size" in order to post.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-17-2008 at 06:46 PM..
Old 09-04-2002, 11:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Cool Excalibur, Aloys Hard Top

From the rear. Cool wrap around back glass (or what ever it is).

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-17-2008 at 06:46 PM..