Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2003, 09:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is my understanding the Classic Roadster headers won't bolt up to the existing Excal side pipes. You need to order BOTH headers and side pipes. Approx $350 for hearders and $350 for side pipes. These are unpainted steel, you pay shipping (a TON of money if you live in Hawaii)! The sidepipes are a new design with better "flow". I removed the "cats" and had a custom pipe built (local exhaust shop) from the headers to the side pipe.

I've decided I want to keep my chrome side pipes! Evidence of how "restrictive" they are? I "blew out" the baffles a long time ago by down shifting at high rpm on the race track! The BAD NEWS is the baffled insert is now "rattling" around inside the "empty" shell of the side pipe. I hear it from time to time when I hit a bump. The sidepipes now have NO restriction, power is MUCH better, but man are they LOUD, like NO mufflers at all LOUD.

I'm having headers custom built to match the sidepipe inlet. Local exhaust guy says $450. Plus he thinks he can "tack weld" the baffle in the sidepipe to keep it from "rattling" around.

Ernie
Old 09-17-2003, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default PIPES

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE ERNIE....I WAS CURIOUS.....
NO COOKIE CUTTER REPLACEMENTS YET, I GUESS.

THE EXCAL EXHAUST SYSTEM MUST HOLD SOME SORT OF RECORD FOR RETARDED ENGINEERING THANKS TO "DOT".

STILL A GREAT CAR.....

B. SMITH
Old 09-17-2003, 09:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Headers/Exhaust

Had my sidepipes "cleaned" out 2 years ago, now only the 4 cats keep back the noise (..as good as they can...)
This winter I`ll have new headers and a completely new routing for the pipes all the way to the collectors installed. Hope I will never again have to deal with that header-s...t.
Car so far has served me without any real problems for 43000km`s
Old 09-17-2003, 10:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

By the way,,,,what kind of miles you guys have on your Excals?

I'm getting close to 19K on mine. Runs like it was new, uh,,,,actually better than when it was new!

Ernie

EDIT: Yo Blackjack, I also replaced my rear axle bearings when I first got the car. It was leaking oil onto the rear wheels when I bought it.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-17-2003 at 10:23 AM..
Old 09-17-2003, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

ERNIE - -

JUST PAST 16K.

HAD THE TRANSMITION OVERHAULED TWO WEEKS AGO. (FORD AODE). IT NEEDS TO GO BACK TO THE SHOP AGAIN.

REPLACED THE REAR AXLE BEARINGS IN JUNE - - NOW DEVELOPED AN OCASIONAL "GRINDING" SOUND FROM THE REAR END WHEN STARTING OUT, ESPECIALLY WHEN TURNING. NOT SURE WHAT THE HECK THAT IS.

REPLACED THE RADIATOR TWO YEARS AGO.

REPLACED THE "MICKEY MOUSE" MUFFLERS TWO YEARS AGO.

OTHER THAN THAT, IT'S BEEN PRETTY GOOD.

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 09-17-2003, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 09-17-2003, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default rear end

BLACKJACK, THE NOISE IN THE DIFFERENTIAL IS THE POSI CLUTCHES CHATTERING. EASY FIX.

GO TO ANY AUTO PARTS STORE AND GET A TUBE OF POSI REAR END TREATMENT, ANY BRAND WILL DO. SQUIRT THE TUB IN AND WITHIN ABOUT 50 MILES THE NOISE WILL DISAPPEAR.

I HAVE USED IT ON 3 CARS AND A JEEP SO FAR WITH 100% SUCCESS.

A GOOD PLACE TO START,,,, B. SMITH
Old 09-17-2003, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     

HEY - -

THANKS VERY MUCH. I'LL TRY THAT. I'LL PICK SOME UP TOMORROW.

BJ
Old 09-18-2003, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

Blackjack,

I happened to be at a local car show last night and ran into another ex Excalibur employee. He had been there for several years and confirmed everything you said about the exhaust system. It was all necessary to meet DOT noise and pollution specs. He also told me that the very early Cobra's were built under some kind of exemption that allowed them do ignore most of the DOT specs. Several of these had 351's. When they reached a higher production level, I think around late 84 they had to start complying.

Barry,

Last year when I had several holes in my exhaust after breaking the support arm welds, my light came on a lot too. When I fixed the exhaust it stopped. I think it's a check engine light which comes on if it senses the pollution controls are out of spec.

Doug
Old 09-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Doug... That should be '94...

...and you're right...Excalibur was given an exemption however I understand it was for front/rear and side impact tests requiring the shoulder restraints.

They were given the exemption because they built less than 50 cars per year.

It was the required crashing of 3 cars that inevitably forced the production to stop.

NOTE: It was later learned that DOT was responsible to pay for the vehicles that were to be tested. Of course, Ford, GM and Chrysler could afford donating cars whereas Excalibur could/would not.

Also: Excalibur Cobras were marketed and sold as EPA compliant and therefore had to pass the emission test...and that's why they have that goofy exhaust system!

Doug...stop over this weekend if you have time!

Last edited by ohekk; 09-18-2003 at 09:55 AM..
Old 09-18-2003, 07:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

I have just over 10,000 on mine. Bought it 2 years ago with 3,000 on it. Only problems have been exhaust and I had to replace the clutch cable last spring. Runs just great. Sometimes on rough roads the car rattles a little, but on smooth roads it' a pleasure to drive. The air works pretty good to, even with the top off.
I think we'll all find that the Ford drive train in such a light car will be pretty much indestructible, but we'll have minor problems with other things due to the fact that it's a hand built car.
Old 09-18-2003, 07:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a rattle I couldn't figure out for awhile. It was the HOOD!! I adjusted it so that it latched tighter and adjusted the rubber stoppers on both sides so the hood is nice and firm now. I also tightened up all the bolts and screws I could under and around the dash and center console area.

Much better now!

Ernie
Old 09-19-2003, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey has anyone found a better air intake system? I removed and cleaned what I'm assuming is the factory K&N air filter (part# RU-2790). I've had larger air filters on my ATV's. It seems like once you get the exhaust breathing better the air intake will be a problem.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Old 09-19-2003, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lots fo different cars that change all of the time
Not Ranked     
Wink FORGIVE HIM PLEASE

YOU GUYS WILL NEED TO FORGIVE SCOTT. I HAD HIM ON THE TRACK FOR THE FIRST TIME LAST WEEK AND WE STILL CAN'T GET THAT GRIN OFF OF HIS FACE

I HAVE CREATED ANOTHER MONSTER!!!!!

BY THE WAY, THERE IS ANOTHER EXCALIBUR CAR FOR SALE ON COBRA COUNTRY. OHECK, YOU GOT THAT ONE?

104 IS STILL FOR SALE HERE, 788 MILES, $30K

JAY

Run & Gun participant 1998-2005
Old 10-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Alas,,,,,,,,,,,,once again I must report my sale of the Excalibur, car #33. I hope the new owner "Mitch" and his lovely wife will be stopping in here soon to tell us all about how things are going! It wasn't really "for sale", sometimes, things just happen. Heck, it wasn't for sale last time either! Whats up with that???

My Classic Roadster at DV's shop in Ohio will soon be done and will be shipping out to Hawaii. Is it better than the Excal? Tough call! In some ways, NO, in some ways, YES. Time will tell. Darn, I miss that car all ready,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a great ride Excals are! The C.R. did not sell and I can't keep both

I hope to be cruising with Mitch and car #33 as soon as the C.R. gets here!

Ernie
Old 10-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default visiting rights?

Ernie,

Not again!

Perhaps Mitch will allow you to visit 'ol #33 once in a while?

I bought an old car from a guy a few years back. He turned down offer after offer until one day I suggested he could have "user rights"! It must've been enough to convince him that I would treat his baby as if it was still his.

Did you keep a spare set of keys?

Last edited by ohekk; 10-05-2003 at 01:26 AM..
Old 10-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

Ernie
The ohio car isn't that bad--heck it was on tv-sell both of them and get a "tincan" dude

PS Mine may be gone in about a week---we'll see--will have a coupe in the works--"IF" the deal goes thru
Old 10-03-2003, 08:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

G.R......I'm weighing all my options thats for sure!

My Excal was on TV too! In the newspaper three times, a magazine in JAPAN, various web sites. Heck, that car is FAMOUS! People tell me the KNOW the car, but who am I??? LOL

Ernie
Old 10-03-2003, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Pretty soon the sales taxes paid will exceed the value of the car.
If it was California, you would be there already.

TURK