Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Myself I'm looking for a set of REAL headers!!! Not those "phony" ones that come stock with the Excals. TO short, anything but smooth inside, crack all the time. They are the worst thing about the Excals.

My "cats" are gone, all smog stuff removed.

I'm thinking I'll have to have some custom built. I "heard" that Classic Roadster headers won't fit. Anybody got any ideas?

Ernie
Old 05-07-2003, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Headers

Scottscobra/Excaliber:
I put a picture of my new headers in my gallerie. They are block-hugger-headers, motor-connections are all ok but they reach down to far, collide with chassis. So this winter IŽll try to use flexible exhaust-connections (used in trucks to minimize vibrations) and connect the headers via them with my sidepipes.
Excaliber, there should be no problems for you using them, you ripped the cat-system out anyway, there should be plenty of room for almost any system.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excalibur Cobra 5.0 FI
Not Ranked     

Well I just had my exhaust put back together again. All the brackets that tie the 2 sides together were broken at the welds which just pulled out of the pipes leaving holes behind. The car sounded better but the fumes were terrible if the top was on. Plus everything rattled a lot. Also one gasket was blown between the header and the splitter.

I left all the cross brackets off but one. Seems to be working fine and all the rattles are gone.

Also, I noticed a lot of noise and rattles coming from the trunk area. If you tap on the bottom of the trunk, at least on mine it hits the gas tank which is only about 1/4" below.

With every bump I think it was hitting and really resonating in the trunk. I pulled up the carpet, drilled a few holes and filled that whole area up with Great Stuff from Dow which is an expanding waterproof foam in a spray can. It sets up soft and has really helped. The car has no more noise coming from the trunk area at all and is just a pleasure to drive.

Spring is here and the Cobra is running great. Life is good. At least for another 4 or 5 months till the Wisconsin winter starts coming back.

You got any jobs out there Ernie?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ha ha,,,jobs are hard to come by here!!!

I'm working with DScott (Don) on ordering a complete set of headers and side pipes for the Excal from a Classic Roadster. You have to get BOTH for them to work, $700 or so for the whole package.

The car is running great! Cranebldr (Allen) is here in Hawaii on buisiness. We just got back from a beautiful drive along the coast. The current sidepipes are burned out "just right", they DO sound good (leak like hell)!

Ernie
Old 05-15-2003, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber, Ford 5.0
Not Ranked     
Default Header breaks - why

I can't say for sure and I haven't been a gear head for many years now so I'm very open to those with more experience. It appears to me that the headers (at least mine) didn't crack due to lack of support and weight on the flange but in inflexibility of connection and the movement of the engine. They sell some ball a socket flanges weld on's but it's unclear if that's really to allow flexibility (of movement) but possibly really only to allow flexability for arrangement. I know they make (or made) of flex exhaust but it was well unpleasent but I ran into this which looks real interesting. It looks like braided hose but it's for exhaust. Anybody ever seen this stuff???

www.mmohindia.com/automotive.htm
Old 05-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sure, and they work IF don't have to support any weight. Pretty common product in various forms, lots of "import" cars use them to isolate vibration from engine to body.

Engine torque and vibration coupled with the short nature of the stock Excal exhaust is what causes the cracks. Support the sidepipes AND isolate from hearders with flex connection and that should solve the problem.

As to "performance", the stock Excal headers and cats should be removed. A real problem with emmisions check areas.

Ernie

Edit: In response to B. Smith below.
I did in fact notice the biggest H.P. gain by "blowing out" the baffles in the side pipes. The car is really LOUD now, but I'm getting used to it,,,,,SAY WHAT????

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-16-2003 at 08:39 AM..
Old 05-16-2003, 07:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default EXHAUST

ERNIE,
I HAVE THE STOCK, WELDED TUBE TYPE HEADERS OF RATHER POOR QUALITY. THEY STILL HAVE SUFFICIENT FLOW FOR STOCK HEADS UP TO 6000 RPM.
I STILL HAVE THE CATS BUT NOW THAT I HAVE REMOVED THE REDICULOUS FACTORY IN-PIPE MUFFLERS (RESTRICTORS) THE PERFORMANCE IMPROVED SO MUCH THAT I AM LEAVING THE CATS IN PLACE.
THE SOUND IS HEAVY BUT IS CALM ENOUGH AT LIGHT THROTTLE FOR NOISE SENSITIVE SITUATIONS.
I HOPE THAT CR PLUMBING WORKS. THAT IS A GREAT REPLACEMENT OPTION FOR EXCAL OWNERS TO HAVE. LET US KNOW.
B. SMITH
Old 05-19-2003, 11:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Cobra #273, 427 S/O, ERA GT-40 #2057, Excalibur Cobra.
Not Ranked     
Default NEW EXCALIBURS

ERNIE, ET AL,

I HAD THE DELIGHTFUL OPPORTUNITY TO MEET THE NEW EXCALIBUR MANUFACTURES AT THE CARLISLE, PA SHOW THIS WEEKEND.

BILL BEGALLA AND NICK PETRELLA AND THEIR ASSOCIATES ARE A REALLY NICE BUNCH OF FOLKS. THEIR FACILITY IS IN YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO - - PHONE 330-629-7933.

THEY WERE ABLE TO "SEPARATE OUT" THE COBRA PORTION FROM THE REST OF THE COMPANYS REMAINING OPERATIONS.

THE ONLY CHANGES THAT I COULD SEE - AND THEY CONFIRMED AS MUCH - WERE THE ADDITION OF A THUNDERBIRD I.R.S. (VERY NICE INSTALLATION) AND ELECTRIC DOOR LATCHES - VERY CONVENIENT. ALL OF THE CHARACTERISTICS THAT MAKE THE EXCALS SO SPECIAL ARE STILL THERE.

THE CARS WILL BE SOLD AS A FINISHED "ROLLING CHASSIS" AND IF THE BUYER SO CHOOSES - - HE CAN ROLL IT RIGHT ACCROSS THE STREET AND HAVE THE ENGINE OF CHOICE INSTALLED.

THE BEST NEWS FOR US IS THAT PARTS FOR OUR CARS WILL BE AVAILABLE AGAIN.

AS STATED - - THEY SEEM TO BE GREAT GUYS AND I WISH THEM THE VERY BEST OF LUCK WITH "THE NEW EXCALIBUR".

Y'ALL HAVE A REALLY GREAT DAY,

BLACKJACK
Old 05-19-2003, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default NEW EXCALS

THAT IS SOME GREAT NEWS.
B. SMITH
Old 05-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh yeah!!!! That IS some great news!!!

Ernie
Old 07-02-2003, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default My Excalibur Cobra

Hi....My name is Mark and I recently purchased an Excaliber 66 Cobra replica....the last 3 numbers on my vin is 101....I was wondering if you could help me....the car came with no owners manual or electrical schematic...my mechanic is having trouble figuring out the wiring as well as the type of brakes on the car...please let me know if there is anyway you can point me in the right direction....thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 09:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rear brakes are probably stock Ford units. BUT what year, model, etc. remains a mystery!

Front brakes are probably 79 Granada disc. When my calipers went out I was surprised to find that Wilwood had an EXACT match and bolt in replacement. I got the calipers and pads from them. There is a "template" on their website that shows how to "measure" your calipers to match them up.

The wiring under the hood appears to be "standard" issue Mustang style EFI kind of stuff. Inside the car the wiring is pretty straight forward. Don't count on EVER getting a wiring diagram, but it REALLY shouldn't be "that" necessary as it is "generic" as heck!

Owners manual is pretty much worthless.

Your best bet on these issues? Start at the BEGINNING of this thread and TAKE NOTES while you READ every post. Theres a LOT of good stuff in here!

Ernie

Last edited by Excaliber; 10-02-2003 at 09:43 AM..
Old 07-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Custom built Excalibur 351C
Not Ranked     
Default Gumball61: Welcome to Club Cobra!

...and congratulations on your Excalibur! You are one lucky man!
(My wife tells me that everyday!)

So Mark...where abouts do you live?

My research indicates that #101 is Giallo Fly Yellow with black stripe and black interior. That is an excellent color combination(Same as mine! )

Follow Ernie's advice: Read this thread and we will help where we can. As for the owners manual, he's right! there isn't much in it. The wire harness is pretty much standard issue. Keep in mind that the drivetrain was warranteed by Ford and can be serviced by most Ford dealerships.

Keep in touch!

Tom
Old 07-03-2003, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HI, MARK - -

WELCOME TO THE "GANG".

WHAT I HAVE SEEN OF AN EXCALIBUR "OWNERS MANUAL" IS RELATIVLY WORTHLESS - - - AS POINTED OUT EARLIER.

HOWEVER - - I HAVE FOUND A LOT OF GOOD INFORMATION IN THE "CLASSIC ROADSTERS" MANUAL WHICH IS ALMOST THE SAME SIZE AS THE FIRST VOLUME OF BRITANICA.

ALTHOUGH THE CARS ARE NOT "IDENTICLE" THERE IS A GREAT DEAL OF SIMILARITY BETWEEN THE EXCALIBUR AND THE CLASSIC ROADSTERS. I HAVE FOUND IT TO BE A LOT OF HELP IN SEVERAL AREAS.

BLACKJACK
Old 07-03-2003, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Excalibur Cobra

Thanks for all of this useful information fellas...I can see that this is a tight fraternity and will prove to be an invaluable source for me.

I live in Maryland, not too far from Annapolis and I must tell you that in the past 2 weeks since I got this car from Vegas I have logged 650 miles....I'm definetly bitten! Now I can die a happy man.

As far as my wiring dilema, it is mostly concerned with the bundle of white and black wires underneath the dash....I am experiencing some sort of power drain and would like to locate it. My car stalls when I have the headlamps on at the same time that the radiater fan is operating... the previous owner must have installed a manual switch for the fan...I don't know why. I t would seem that this is part of my problem....any advice would be most appreciated....again, many thanks to you all.
Mark
Old 07-03-2003, 09:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Manual switch for the fan was "standard" issue. Now that you mention my cig lighter quit working recently (not the fuse). I guess I to will have to go under the dash. I wonder whats under there??? LOL

Ernie
Old 07-04-2003, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

HEY, MARK - - -

LIVING IN MARYLAND YOU MIGHT WANT TO "CHECK-OUT" YOUR LOCAL GANG. THE CAPITAL AREA COBRA CLUB. CACC IS A VERY ACTIVE GROUP OF 60 + MEMBERS WITH NEARLY 40 COBRAS/ GT-40S ETC.

I THINK WE HAVE MORE FUN PER GALLON THAT JUST ABOUT ANYONE.

CHECK US OUT AT www.capitalareacobraclub.com WE MEET EVERY SATURDAY MORNING AT THE VIENNA INN FOR THE "GREASE-UP". A WEEKS WORTH OF CHOLESTEROL AT ONE SITTING.
WE GATHER AROUND 07:45, HAVE BREAKFAST UNTIL ABOUT 10:00 AND - IF THE WEATHERS DECENT (DOESN'T HAVE TO BE "NICE"), WE TAKE OFF ON AN IMPROMPTU CRUISE TO "ANYWHERE" - - OR WE JUST HANG OUT AT THE VIENNA INN AND THE AUTO PARTS STORE BEHIND IT.

WE HAVE FOLKS DRIVING IN EVERY SATURDAY MORNING FROM ALL OVER MARYLAND, DC AND VIRGINIA.

COME VISIT US.

BLACKJACK

PS::::: MY NAME ON CACC IS "SUNDANCE" - - - DON'T ASK, IT'S ABOUT A 3 BEER STORY. AT CLUB COBRA YOU GET TO PICK YOUR OWN "NAME" AT CACC YOU "EARN IT". ONE EARNS A NAME BY DOING SOMETHING EITHER REALLY GOOD, REALLY COOL OR REALLY STUPID. THEN THE NAME IS "ASSIGNED".
Old 07-04-2003, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber, Ford 5.0
Not Ranked     

I've cranked quite a few miles on mine, I drive it to work everyday when weather permits, I didn't buy it to make the next person who owns it happy
I wonder if the previous owner was twidling with the fan due to the heat? Mine typically will run the 210-215 and possible into the 220 in stop and go, that just seems hot to me but ford said that was normal. However after I shut it off, I know it will climb up maybe to 230. If I start it, it jumps right back down but runs rugged for about a minute.
As for the power drain you did the p... alternator test? Start, disconnect the battery and turn on the lights?
Another thing I used to just Bi... at the convertable top. I finanally took the time to really adjust it right. What a moron I should have done that long ago....
I've also just finished the final, at this point cosmetic welding on my new headers. I think I have good support and stress relief plan so these ones won't crack.
Old 07-04-2003, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'M NOT CERTAIN WHERE I READ THIS BUT SOMEONE STATED THAT THE VDO TEMP. GAUGE READS ABOUT 15 TO 20 DEGREES HIGH.

MY TEMP - ON A HOT DAY - WOULD GET UP TO 215 TO 220. WHEN WE CHECKED IT - WHILE READING 215 THE ACTUAL TEMP WAS 195.

I'VE SINCE INSTALLED A HYPERTECH PERFORMANCE CHIP AND THE ACCOMPANYING 165 DEGREE T-STAT. THE ACTUAL COOLANT TEMP STAYS (ALMOST FOREVER) AT 165 WHILE THE GAUGE READS 185.

BLACKJACK
Old 07-04-2003, 09:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I didn't buy it to make the next person who owns it happy
Aint that the truth!!!! I'm second owner on mine, the first owner rarely drove it. And that is typical of MANY of the Cobras. I drive mine every chance I get, it is for ME, not the next guy!

Mine runs about 210-220 (as shown by the gauge).

Cracked headers? Whew, I've had mine welded 3 or 4 times over the last two years, and they need welding AGAIN!

I'm buying Headers and Side pipes from Don Scott (Classic Roadster). Of course I don't have to run catalytic converters here so thats why I can do that.

Ernie