Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default new guy here with some questions.

so drug this home today and started working on this partial replica today....

now story is the front brake would grab and lock up causing the car to slid into something that caused the damage. Now I know it has the jag brake on the rear on the inside near the diff, the fronts I have 3 different calipers (no complete set of two).

now questions...

any way to ID what kit it is? quick peek under the hood and trunk showed nothing.

what mater cylinder should be on these cars? From what I can tell by the part # is has '60s MG one

I have the frontend torn apart will missing parts, thinking of swapping everything over to mustang and ditching the torsion bar set up, good move? or should I just source parts to put it back?

I'm not looking to dump too much since I need to pay the body shop soon, mostly looking at chasing the problem of too much pressure to the fronts and getting in a road worthy state again.

Thanks for the input, pretty excited to get this back on the road!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley 427
Not Ranked     

There's plenty of knowledgeable people on this forum that cab ID that car for you......but they're going to need pictures of everything in order to do it, under the car, under the hood in the trunk etc.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Welcome new guy

Budski There are only 2 cobras that I know about with torsion bars, Contempory Cobra (out of business) but don't think they used MG parts for front end. I would have to go with Unique Motorcars. They use MG front ends and torsion bars also . Give them a call at 256-546-3708 and see if they can help you. Rick L. Ps Peter B. is still working that owned Contemp at the gauge company next store. Name starts with an N. The kit car show is at Carlisle on May 18-20. You might want to come by if you are in the PA. area and look at cars. This should give you a good idea about whos car it is.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

thanks, I'll get more photos today.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Doesn't look like a Unique from those angles. Rear fender doesn't look the same. I has a forward braced roll bar, which isn't impossible to do ,so you may want to look at companies who did 289 cars also.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

While that forward braced bar looks great.... It is extreamly dangerous to a driver or passenger without a helmet, adding additional danger to the rear hoop for the driver. Just a note to the new owner.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Unique suspension

This is kind of different. It looks like a 427 body, but as mentioned earlier, the forward braced roll bar is more typical of a 289.

Unique does use a Jag rear end with inboard brakes, but I think they have the typical coilovers on the front and Wilwood brakes. Here is a link to their website with good pictures of their front and rear suspension, and under the hood without an engine. You can compare this to what you have and maybe zero in on what yours is by process of elimination.
Kits Page

Also, the VIN tag for Uniques is typically on one of the footboxes and can be easily seen from under the hood. Does yours have a VIN tag? That may shed some light on what yours is as well.
If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different rumble. Let him step to the sidepipes which he hears, however measured or far away. - H.D. Thoreau...if he had owned a Cobra
Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Werk77 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
While that forward braced bar looks great.... It is extreamly dangerous to a driver or passenger without a helmet, adding additional danger to the rear hoop for the driver. Just a note to the new owner.
...a little padding and you ready to go fly

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 05-09-2012, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok few more photos to help with IDing the kit.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC, 1964 289 stroked to 331, toploader
Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Not a Unique... wrong frame.

Is it possible that the damage could be from a tire coming apart?

Paul

Unique Motorcars 289 USRRC
1964 289 5-bolt block
Toploader and 3.31 rear
Old 05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Looks like a Contemporary.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Keep the front end !! The Jag is way better than a mustangsII setup.Just fix the caliper and the body work and you have one of the best out there
Tom Howland likes this.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

well I have the 4pot jag brakes sitting around that may go on if I can find the right spindle needed. Just need to chase down the problem of too much pressure to the fronts
Old 05-11-2012, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I assume you haven't torn anything apart yet, but are you sure the issue is too much pressure to the fronts? Maybe it is not enough to the rear...like one or both of the rear calipers is seized?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just a thought but does it have adjustable brake bias or is it a fixed bias unit? That may be something that you would want to check while you are this far into it.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Notice the doors have a square, flat inner lip at the top of the door. That should be pretty identifying. I thought maybe Midstates, but that upper, inner lip on the doors is not like a Midstates.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like an early Contemporary. Notice the top of the doors, the trans cross member is not removable ,the frame and the type of welding and workmanship.Contemporary.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Notice the the body is chopper gun. Has the right shape,no perky butt, no droop nose, no bug eyed. Just like mine.

Last edited by Thor maine; 05-15-2012 at 08:35 PM..
Old 05-14-2012, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
I assume you haven't torn anything apart yet, but are you sure the issue is too much pressure to the fronts? Maybe it is not enough to the rear...like one or both of the rear calipers is seized?
it was already torn apart and I'm missing one spindle and one caliper, really sucks because I was hoping to trouble shoot the issue, unable to bleed the system all I can tell is that it may have the MG master cylinder that could of been used from a disc/drum setup causing it to sent more pressure to the fronts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Just a thought but does it have adjustable brake bias or is it a fixed bias unit? That may be something that you would want to check while you are this far into it.

Ron
that will be added, but not for a "fix".
Old 05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I don't think Contemporary's had double rear springs.