26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Advice on Which make & options I should Buy?

Hi
I am planning on buying a cobra by the end of the year & am starting to do my research & was hoping to get some advice from current owners.

currently, I am looking at the Superformance, Kirkham & Shelby continuation

I love the GT coupe & GT40 for their originality & style, but prefer convertibles & why I am looking for the more traditional models like the MkIII etc.

I will go over my "wants" & plans for use- could you please tell me what you would recommend based on your experiences.

1. style & accuracy: I want it to look as authentic as possible- especially the dashboard (detail is very important to me)
2. I will be driving this a a "light" everyday car- I work at home developing apps, so I don't leave the home much, but when I do, I would like to have fun driving.
3. I have no intention on racing- with the exception of taking on the track to experience it's full potential. But I do like to have fun on twisting roads
4. must be able to have a top (demand by wife)
5. I would like to be able to put in a stereo
6. I am 6 foot tall
7. quality & ability to service locally (I live in CA)

Previous owner of a Lotus Elise & various British 60's-70's era cars
Your advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

With what you have listed, any of those 3 manufacturers should be able to meet your needs. You should also be considering if you want undercar or side exhaust, rollbar(s), fiberglass or aluminum body construction and type of engine. But those 3 can meet about anything you decide on these subjects. With the exception that Kirkham only offers aluminum body construction.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Scaramanga,
Don't you just hate it when people don't answer your question and offer advice on a topic you didn't ask about? Me too, but here goes anyway.

I get the impression you are looking for a Cobra daily driver. Your best hint at how that will turn out is to think of your 60s-70s era British cars as daily drivers. Like those cars, Cobra replicas generally have little to none of the low maintenance reliability and SAFETY of modern cars. If you are willing to tolerate that, then please continue. But don't think you are getting the best of old and new. You are getting a slightly modern interpretation of a 1960s race car.

Regarding the brands you mentioned, I have one bit of advice. If you don't plan on doing your own maintenance, pick the brand that has a reputable service shop nearest to your home. You'll be seeing them frequently.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 07-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

What's da budget?

Also, if you buy used, buying one with the SB100 exemption already is a plus.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Don't forget the Hurricane offerings.

Their styling and kit is getting more and more like the origiinals, their cross-braced frame is quite sturdy, the factory support is incredible and the kit is complete, no chasing parts from a salvage yard.

It would be my choice if I were to be buying a kit rather than an already completed car.

A few musings:

If you like to do a LOT of the work, a FFR might be the one for you...however, the companies you mentioned are more high end. Is there some reason you did not include the ERA products? Their kits are quite complete, reportedly come with parts in place so you are not confused about where or how things fit, that sort of thing. They are highly respected in the field, not that SP, Shelby or Kirkham aren't. In the past ERA was slow to produce and there was a long wait for delivery, but I have heard that is getting better.

If originality is paramount to you, how about an imported AC product, or perhaps a Hawk replica (British, no U.S. distributors so you would have to import, but very accurate and detailed).

This quest can be quite exhausting...good luck in your search!

Cheers!

Doug

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Make sure you check out the older Hi Tech's
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks-
These are all very helpful

to answer some of the questions asked:
1. I won't be doing any of the work on it myself (I do eventually want to take mechanic classes), but for now I must rely on other people.

2. Price: If I can find a used one with everything I am looking for, I would buy it- I could drive it right away (no waiting) & it will have lost most initial depreciation.
I have seen a variety of prices- most are in my price range (New is in the 80'- used 35-65K ish range I am finding
the exception is the Continuation series- I do not object to the higher price since they seem to hold their value better & it is "shelby", but to keep their value, I might be restricted in my driving & what I can do to the car etc.

3. Yes, this would be a "light daily driver"
4. I am not as concerned about originality in what you don't see- example better suspension is good etc, but a cheap looking/knockoff dashboard is not
5. I like the side pipes
6. fiberglass vs Aluminum- from what I've seen, the aluminum adds about 25K to the price & is actually more fragile than the fibergalss- please let me know f you have experienced differently.

Thanks again
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Price: If I can find a used one with everything I am looking for, I would buy it- I could drive it right away (no waiting) & it will have lost most initial depreciation. I have seen a variety of prices- most are in my price range (New is in the 80'- used 35-65K ish range I am finding the exception is the Continuation series- I do not object to the higher price since they seem to hold their value better & it is "shelby", but to keep their value, I might be restricted in my driving & what I can do to the car etc.

fiberglass vs Aluminum- from what I've seen, the aluminum adds about 25K to the price & is actually more fragile than the fibergalss- please let me know f you have experienced differently.
If you're looking for the most authentic fiberglass replica, by most people's standards, then purchase a Shelby CSX. 2nd place goes to ERA. 3rd place to SPF. All good cars.

As for aluminum being "fragile" or brittle, then you've never owned a Corvette.

For me, in terms of maintenance and strength, it's essentially "six of one, half-dozen of the other."

It's still a budget question.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks-

I have seen a variety of prices- most are in my price range (New is in the 80'- used 35-65K ish range
You need to be looking at Contemporary, ERA, Hi Tech before you look at a Superformance if you expect it to be close to original in looks and detailing. SPF builds a great car, but they have taken liberties with their designs and engineering. Kirkham and CSX continuation series cars rarely come up used in your price range, so you might as well drop the dream of either of those two companies for now. Add another 20-25K on to your budget and you might find one used and in decent enough shape to call a nice daily driver.

Also, while we are on the subject of daily driver, whatever you decide to buy, make sure it has wipers, heater, and a convertible top. You might not think you need them, but if you plan to use it as a daily driver, eventually, you will need each of those items I have listed.

Finally, forget about looking at these cars as an investment, look at it as the toy it is meant as and you will eventually find the car you so desire.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am not as concerned about originality in what you don't see- example better suspension is good etc, but a cheap looking/knockoff dashboard is not
Oh, if it matters to you, Patrick goes on and on about the pedal setup and upright radiator in the SPF. So, I'm not sure if those less authentic items qualify as "what you don't see" or not.

Obviously, I think many people would say (many might argue too) that the modern billet aluminum suspension on the Kirkham's product is an "upgrade" in terms of modern strength, reliability and weight reduction, but can't be seen until you put it on a lift.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Hi Tech's way ahead than ERA or Contemporary if looking for original details,
in my opinion. But more important is the quality of the build.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi
I am planning on buying a cobra by the end of the year & am starting to do my research & was hoping to get some advice from current owners.
The overwhelming majority of people who post something like this end up coming to their senses and never buy a Cobra. There are a million good reasons to stay away from them -- they're a huge PITA to own, they're about as far from being practical as you can get, they cost a ton of money to buy and maintain, and they break down all the time. If you drive one for an hour on a hot afternoon you'll be exhausted for the rest of the day. Your wife is going to burn her pretty little ankle on your sidepipes and then not want to get in it again. And I could go on and on. Personally, I think you should think about another car or, at a minimum, research it for a year or two before making a move. By then you'll probably come to your senses.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The overwhelming majority of people who post something like this end up coming to their senses and never buy a Cobra.
Well, the OP did own a Lotus Elise. Talk about impractical.

You might as well have said buy a Corvette.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Assuming you do eventually buy a replica Cobra, definitely buy used. Considering roller prices nowadays, which for a Kirkham is on their website at $70,000, I would buy a completed, running and registered car. You will save thousands and thousands of dollars, time and headaches whatever the manufacturer you decide.

Of course, my apologies in advance to all the Cobra distributors, manufacturers, retailers and engine builders on this site.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:55 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

If you are stuck on style and accuracy, get the Shelby CSX.

It's going to burn when you are so stuck on this, and someone asks, "who makes it"?

"kirkham".

or worse...

"superformance".

At least if they ask "is it original", you can get away with a white lie and say "yes, it's original"...and mutter under your breath that it's an original continuation series.

When you get the CSX, you can say that it's a real Shelby.

Anyway, based on your description of how you wish to drive your car, you should really go for a ride in one and decide if it's really something you want as an everyday car. Also, figure out if having a top is actually worth it. If you figure out that it takes a bit of time to put the top on and take it off, plus storage for it, not to mention worrying about scratches, you might not want the top at all. Based on that, you might not even want to consider the Cobra. Maybe something like a viper, or a better "daily" driver, a 911 will fit your needs better.

Last edited by itstock; 07-12-2012 at 02:58 PM..
Old 07-12-2012, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks-
these are great
I am not worried about impractical, I have a jeep for that
what is really helpful is the PITA to own- I am used to PITA cars, some problems are "endearing" others you hate (a BMW I had a few years back constantly needed new electric- expensive & irritating).
let me know the worse of the PITA & every day problems
Old 07-12-2012, 03:18 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

They are simple performance cars. You shouldn't experience any known problems. Maintenance should be as simple as any other "new" car.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstock View Post
You shouldn't experience any known problems.
It's the unknown problems that are the real nuisance. But ITSTOCK is basically right. Most of our cars are just barely street legal race cars. Seriously, if you can be dissuaded from buying one, then you probably shouldn't buy one. The guys that do the best with these cars have generally wanted them for decades and could not be talked out of them come hell or high water. Conversely, this site is replete with stories, heartbreaking stories, of guys who "kind of think the Cobra would be cool to own," and then they buy one... and the nightmare begins. Seriously, take your time, read every post on this site for the last few years, and, above all, don't buy anything until you've driven one.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
let me know the worse of the PITA & every day problems
Pretty much the people who come up to you at gas stations and ask how much you paid for your car or the Prius owners who ask how's the gas mileage.

Otherwise, nothing to worry about.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

And there is a reason that Patrick does not get invited to parties.

I have owned my SPF for 4+ years and it only left me stranded one time. I lost a roll pin in the 3/4 shift fork.

Other than that it's been pretty good. During those 4 years I have put 23,000+ miles on it, and the only thing holding me back from more miles is the crappy weather we get here in Washington state.

They are not a Honda, but they can be pretty reliable if you take care of them, and to me that's part of the fun.