Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Patrick,

I'd love nothing more than to keep it coming but, unfortunately, I have a week-long business trip coming up and several days of preparation to get done before next Sunday. It will take all the discipline I can muster to stay out of the garage and get my work done. So, probably not much to post in the near future.

Lippy,

I purchased the seat heaters from cobraheat.com (warmseats is the name of the product) and had them shipped directly to ERA. They inserted the pads in the seats (the pads can be cut to conform to the seat size) and the connectors come out the rear of each seat in the center. There is an upper seat back pad as well as a seat pad, so should be pretty effective. Peter makes a note on the work order for Doug to see and Doug screws the side panels on rather than riveting them in place so you can remove them to route the wiring. He even drilled holes, inserted grommets and suppled some rivets in a little zip lock baggie to put the side panels on! So, when finished, nothing at all will be visible. Doug will also give you a drawing with recommendations for mounting the controls under the dash using the supplied "L" shaped brackets. I chose to cut those brackets in half and use the half that the switches snap into and drill holes to mount them directly in the dash as you can see in the photo. There was a nominal charge for their part, but no big deal.

Regards,

Kevin
Kevin, this is great, thanks! I think I'm going to do this as well. Did you look at other brands as well, like Check (http://www.heatyourseat.com/)?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Hi Lippy,

No I didn't come across that one when I was looking at seat heaters. I read some good reviews on Warmseats and I know they've been used on Cobra replicas before, so I bought them. Obviously, I won't know how well they actually work for some time yet... the wire harness is solidly built and the controls feel like good quality. I never even saw the pads themselves since I shipped directly to ERA and they installed them. As you research this, you'll probably want to choose a product that can be trimmed to fit the seats. Some can be trimmed and some can't, depending on how the heating elements are designed.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

ERA also put seat heaters in my car, but not sure if they were the same ones as you have; I'm sure Peter would know the ones they typically use, and if these are different.

Ray
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Due to work and other commitments, I haven't been able to get out to the garage much to work on the car. However, I did reach another milestone and have the beginnings of an engine. A local Cobra owner - he's active on this site, so I'll let him chime in if he choses to - had a '68 side oiler short block for sale and also told me about an engine builder in the area. I researched the engine builder and he has been building FEs all his life and, although not active on any forums (he doesn't even have a website), he has racked up a number of very positive comments about his work and abilities with FEs. He's been referred to as the "go-to guy" in the area for the racing crowd. Anyway, I picked up the shortblock yesterday and will be taking it to this engine builder to have it magnafluxed for cracks and possibly pressure tested. The motor came out of a Chris Craft and seems to be in very good shape (closed cooling system). There is only a bit of surface rust in one of the cylinders but not an issue.

[img]http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1229&pictureid=9811[img]

Last edited by kevins2; 03-18-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-18-2013, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leery about boat engines but certainly have it sonic-wall tested too. You don't state the bore size but it may have been bored to where it's too thin and have no rebuilds left in it. Or no thrust side face left.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chas,

The motor had not been opened up since new until this week, so still standard bore. The engine builder will check it out thoroughly before committing to a build, so I'm taking it one step at a time.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 03-18-2013, 04:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just remember most boat motors run cold all their lives so bore wear from rings very possible.
Best luck...
Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SAI; '68 427FESO Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Kevin, red Cobras rule! I hope your block comes out clean... are you going for period correct look? Double carbs? Can't wait to see it...

Hector
Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Chas,

Since it's never been bored, I'm assuming there will be room to play with. The engine builder is a machinist and will be able to tell me exactly what I have. Thanks for all the tips.

Hector, my car has aspects of the S/C and street car (double round taillights, street dash layout, for example). So, I didn't pattern my car off of any one original. I'm going with a single carb.

Regards,

Kevin
427 Street likes this.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #472, Previous owner of ERA #677 427, ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Street
Not Ranked     

Kevin...you might want to change the "no engine yet" in your profile I hope it all works out well.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

kevins motor is rather nice, i disassembled her for the first time since ford put it together. it's a 1967 cast date side oiler, std bore , no ridge. as far as running cold most of its life....i doubt it. no sludge on the inside at all, very clean. heads had fresh plugs in it and new wires, it was a running motor. normal rotation......
nice green coolant flowed out of her when i pulled the heads off.
so he's got a good cast crank, 428 rods....really good starting point.

now to get rid of about 2 tons of marine cast iron i pulled off of it

the side oiler part was unusual normally they are just hydraulic blocks, but the oil galley is there and has the relief valve.
once its built and painted, you'll never know it came from a boat.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Assuming it passes the tests, a minimal "clean up" of the bore, and then stroke it out, and you will have a wonderful engine for that car.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 Street View Post
Kevin...you might want to change the "no engine yet" in your profile I hope it all works out well.
I would come back at you about the profile change because I just brought the block home last night! But, I probably wouldn't have thought to update it, so good catch. Thanks for the well wishes - I'm looking forward to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Assuming it passes the tests, a minimal "clean up" of the bore, and then stroke it out, and you will have a wonderful engine for that car.
Patrick, if the original crank and rods are in good condition and can be made "good as new", it would be cool to use them. Will discuss that in detail with the engine builder at the appropriate time.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 05-06-2013, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Making a bit of progress on the car...

Flaming River battery switch behind passenger seat.

Heated seat wiring harness - relay and fuse blocks mounted on chassis rail behind dash. Wires to seats fished through side panel and out a grommet. Will wait until the carpet goes in to solder the seat connectors on so I can make a smaller hole in the carpet. I'm about 90% done with the wiring. After reading Dan's thread, I have my fingers crossed that it will all work!

Insulated tunnel and front tunnel cover.

Undercoating is done. Came out real nice. I didn't want to chance any overspray, so covered the entire car. Second photo is rear wheel well. I coated the side of the fuel tank as well, so all visible areas will be black.

Installed front and rear sway bars. Labeled the installed sway bar because I have some friends following my build who wouldn't find it otherwise

Mounted rear wheels and made first attempt at safety wiring. After seeing scratches on a couple cars apparently from the safety wire, I used microtubing where it touches the wheels and spinners. Safety wire is .031" and the tubing has an inside diameter of .032", so it fits like a glove. Overkill perhaps, but so what...

Old 05-06-2013, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Kevin, what shade of red is that? Beautiful.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcobra15 View Post
Kevin, what shade of red is that? Beautiful.
Thank you. It is a standard GM color used for many years on everything from Corvettes to trucks. Jewel Red. Available in both a 2 and 3 stage formula. At the advice of the painter, I kept it simple and went with the 2 stage formula - supposedly easier to fix if needed.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 05-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

That's pretty good progress. Keep the pics coming.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Kevin - it's coming along well. You may pass me up as I haven't touched mine in about 6 weeks. What did you use for undercoating - Looks good.

It's interesting that your foot boxes are beige resin - mine arrived with red resin.

I wouldn't worry too much about the electrical. I'm actually slightly more capabler at electrical than I say - but I just don't like to troubleshoot it because it forces me to think harder than I want to. I would rather groan and gripe and ask for help than sit down with a wiring diagram and multi-meter and figure it out myself from scratch. Just don't get in a big hurry to secure all the wiring bundles up under the dash until you have checked everything out, because if there is a glitch you will be pulling it all back down to verity conductior to conductor match at the big plug connections.

Looks great!

Dan
Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEC View Post
Kevin - it's coming along well. You may pass me up as I haven't touched mine in about 6 weeks. What did you use for undercoating - Looks good.

It's interesting that your foot boxes are beige resin - mine arrived with red resin.

I wouldn't worry too much about the electrical. I'm actually slightly more capabler at electrical than I say - but I just don't like to troubleshoot it because it forces me to think harder than I want to. I would rather groan and gripe and ask for help than sit down with a wiring diagram and multi-meter and figure it out myself from scratch. Just don't get in a big hurry to secure all the wiring bundles up under the dash until you have checked everything out, because if there is a glitch you will be pulling it all back down to verity conductior to conductor match at the big plug connections.

Looks great!

Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks, it is coming along slower than I'd like, but making some progress. The undercoating is 3M Professional Grade rubberized undercoating. There is an old thread on this forum where a member put this on his car 5 or 6 years ago. I pm'd him and he responded that it held up well and still looks good, so I decided to use the same product. I roughed up the aluminum panels with 60 grit and wiped everything down with rubbing alcohol as part of the surface prep. Probably not necessary, but I definitely gave it something to bite into. Good advice on the electrical. I actually tested the heated seats using a battery and they work. Don't know about the rest of the electronics but I'll deal with that as it comes.

Ordering the front tires today and will get them mounted as soon as I can. It will be good to see it sitting on its own feet for the first time - I'll post pics when I get there. Have a week-long business trip coming up next week, so that will stop me for a bit. I'll be seeing Peter, Doug and whoever else from ERA Saturday after next at the Carlisle Import and kit car nationals.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 05-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Nice work. Beautiful and meticulous progress.