Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kellison Stallion 468 FE
Not Ranked     

hey 450+ HP is nothing to sneeze at.....it will run flawlessly, and you won't have to diddle with it all the time by keeping it conservative.
haven't had the chance to finish mine......hell you might even have your running before me. i want to at least drive mine once this season.
gotta make some time to work on it
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Progress with the engine. First dyno run yesterday, here's a short clip:

Kevin's FE 427 side-oiler dyno run - YouTube

The vacuum secondary wasn't opening, so this run was essentially with a 2 barrel carb. Builder is picking up a spring kit to install a lighter spring. Without the secondaries, it generated 460 hp and 420 ft.lbs. torque, so already met my ask of at least 450 hp. Not sure how much the numbers will change with the secondaries working, but will find out today.

Last edited by kevins2; 09-17-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
Progress with the engine. First dyno run yesterday, here's a short clip:

Kevin's FE 427 side-oiler dyno run - YouTube

The vacuum secondaries weren't opening, so this run was essentially with a 2 barrel carb. Builder is picking up a spring kit to install a lighter spring. Without the secondaries, it generated 460 hp and 420 ft.lbs. torque, so already met my ask of at least 450 hp. Not sure how much the numbers will change with the secondaries working, but will find out today.
Nice. Put in the back of your mind that if you put a lighter secondary spring in to dyno tune it without the typical restrictive Cobra air cleaner in place, then when you put the engine in the car, with the air cleaner, you may now have a bog, or hesitation, off the line because the secondaries are now opening too soon. If so, go up to a stiffer spring. Don't dwell on that point now, just tuck it away in case you need it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Patrick, the builder mentioned that is a possibility and said he'd give me the rest of the spring kit in case I need to diddle with it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:13 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Patrick, the builder mentioned that is a possibility and said he'd give me the rest of the spring kit in case I need to diddle with it.
Ask him to put the quick change fitting on the secondary housing. It costs next to nothing and it will make your life much easier if you need to change the spring. And if you don't need to change the spring, then it won't matter.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Fred,

How did you respond to my post before I posted it? They got out of order somehow...

I still have a lot to do once I get the engine so I doubt that I'll beat you to the road. Can't really see in that clip, but the block is unpainted, so my first project will be to take off what is in the way, etch, prime and paint...
Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update on the engine... I wasn't able to sneak away from work to go to the tuning today but just spoke with the builder and the vacuum secondary is working properly with a lighter spring and they were then able to tweak the timing as well. Final result is 482 hp at 5300 and 502 ft. lbs torque at 4400. I haven't seen the printout yet, but he indicated the torque is above 475 at 3500 and stays up there until north of 5500, so I'm pleased with this.

Regards,

Kevin

Last edited by kevins2; 09-17-2013 at 07:07 PM..
Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Kevin, that sounds plenty healthy for the street. Thanks for posting the dyno run. Should be a nice running engine. I forget the details of the engine. I remember it was a 68 side oiler block with a marine history and you used a hydraulic roller. I don't recall the crank or heads you ended up going with? With the HP peaking at 5300 rpm it looks like you might have a bit of a stroker crank in it and a nice, flexible cam. Very close in rpms to where mine peaked in HP and torque.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Dan,

You are correct, it is a 1968 side-oiler block taken from a Chris Craft. It is now a hydraulic roller motor. I used the original crank and connecting rods, so it is not stroked. Bored to 4.25 so displacement is 429 cu in. Heads and intake are Edelbrock Performer RPM. The builder put different valve springs in - anyone want a new set of Edelbrock valve springs? The cam sheet is below.

Regards,

Kevin
Old 09-22-2013, 07:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Thanks Kevin.

I'm kind of surprised the power didn't peak just a little higher than 5300 rpm with the head, cam and stock stroke combination. But for the street that should be nice and torquey. You should have it ready for it's first drive in no time now.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hi Dan,

You are correct, it is a 1968 side-oiler block taken from a Chris Craft. It is now a hydraulic roller motor. I used the original crank and connecting rods, so it is not stroked. Bored to 4.25 so displacement is 429 cu in. Heads and intake are Edelbrock Performer RPM. The builder put different valve springs in - anyone want a new set of Edelbrock valve springs? The cam sheet is below.

Regards,

Kevin
really nice kevin.......oh, i know someone looking for a set of springs. can i give him your contact info?
Old 09-22-2013, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWB View Post
really nice kevin.......oh, i know someone looking for a set of springs. can i give him your contact info?
Sure, I was going to post them on ebay or Craigslist since I'm not going to use them.

Kevin
Old 09-23-2013, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i gave him your email address.....his name is david....
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Slow, but steady progress

Over the past two weekends I prepped and painted the engine. The timing cover was Ford Corporate Blue, so had to strip that. Then I used Eastwood Fast-Etch, primer and ceramic paint. I decided to paint the oil pan because I had an in-pan oil heater installed and the bung and weld were bare metal. Photos show the progression.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Is there a timing pointer on there that I just can't see?
Old 09-30-2013, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Is there a timing pointer on there that I just can't see?
There is a timing pointer, but I removed it for painting. The tape on the balancer marks the pointer location. There is no play in the pointer when mounting it, but the tape made me feel better
Old 09-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
There is a timing pointer, but I removed it for painting. The tape on the balancer marks the pointer location. There is no play in the pointer when mounting it, but the tape made me feel better
Good enough. It's kind of tricky timing the engine without one....
Old 09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Good enough. It's kind of tricky timing the engine without one....
Yep, I chased the threads with a tap this morning and reinstalled it before getting to work. I hope to get the bellhousing dialed in later this week, schedule allowing. Have a few more small parts on the way - throwout bearing, various bolts, etc. but hope to install it when my son comes home from school for Columbus Day weekend.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got the drivetrain and sidepipes installed Columbus Day weekend.

This past weekend, got a lot installed on the engine.

KevinW and mando s like this.

Last edited by kevins2; 10-21-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It looks like it's almost ready for the first short "quickie" ride around the neighborhood -- just to see if it actually can run under its own power.