Old 04-09-2013, 02:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
Wow, go away for the weekend and look what happens LOL

Anywhooo, thanks for the opinions from all of you. I don't think my build will end up being a faithful reproduction, mainly because I don't think most people are going to care if my windshield has the right decal or the switches are real Lucas switches. My first priority is something that runs well and is safe to operate. Now, from the outside, I do like it to look like a Cobra, at least in the 20/20 test (20 feet, 20 mph). So, 15" rims, Halibrand replicas (because Sunburst rims are rarer than hen's teeth), low back bucket seats, air splitter, etc. The FE idea is just taking the image one step further so that those who know will appreciate the extra details. I agree that I appreciate the builder who puts an FE under the hood. However, I have seen many nice engines that were not FEs. In the end for me, it will be something that will make me satisfied. And if I don't end up liking it, I can change it!
Well LesMurray sounds like your head is on straight, it can be no other way especially since you are paying out the green backs.In the end no matter how faithful you are to originality someone will spout off even those that have no clue.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR..Ford Boss 351 Aluminum "Z" heads
Not Ranked     

I had a Coyote in a new build, 4 months, 300 miles, 4 times back to the builder and 5 major changes and still couldn't get the car to run smoothly...Long story short, better make sure you can sort out the problems if you encounter them, because Ford will not touch the car. Thankfully, the builder gave me a new car with a 427, any mechanic can work out the problems, I would seek out those who have a good working engine, and consider how to fix the problem if you encounter one.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD, other is 67 Mustang GTA 390 Convertible w/air,
Send a message via Skype™ to fostereast
Not Ranked     
Default FE or Coyote

FE: It's very difficult to identify a 390 from a 427, when it's put together and in an engine bay. If you use Aluminum heads and an Aluminum intake, it's not that heavy. The FE is a great engine with lots of history. If you put together an FE with around 350 HP or so, even a 2" under car exhaust will be just about big enough.

Coyote: It will probably look out of place unless you use a FFR kit. I also don't like the idea of needing a computer in a car like an old Mustang or Cobra replica.

My opinion: most guys focus so much on HP that the cars are not very fun to drive as daily drivers. I just helped a shop with some details on a 427 they were building and all the owner wanted was 600 HP for his Cobra replica, no consideration for how he was going to use the car, streetability or any of the normal factors used to build up an engine. A well built modest FE engine regardless of CID will make the car go faster than any of us need to go on the street. Under car exhaust means nobody will ever burn their legs getting in or out of your car. I like the look of the 427 street car w/no hood scoop, no roll bar and no side exhaust the best, I'd even opt for wire wheels to complete the look of yesteryear.

If possible maybe you can find a group of guys in your neck of the woods and go for some rides and see what seems closest to your expectations.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fostereast View Post
FE: It's very difficult to identify a 390 from a 427, when it's put together and in an engine bay. If you use Aluminum heads and an Aluminum intake, it's not that heavy. The FE is a great engine with lots of history. If you put together an FE with around 350 HP or so, even a 2" under car exhaust will be just about big enough.

Coyote: It will probably look out of place unless you use a FFR kit. I also don't like the idea of needing a computer in a car like an old Mustang or Cobra replica.

My opinion: most guys focus so much on HP that the cars are not very fun to drive as daily drivers. I just helped a shop with some details on a 427 they were building and all the owner wanted was 600 HP for his Cobra replica, no consideration for how he was going to use the car, streetability or any of the normal factors used to build up an engine. A well built modest FE engine regardless of CID will make the car go faster than any of us need to go on the street. Under car exhaust means nobody will ever burn their legs getting in or out of your car. I like the look of the 427 street car w/no hood scoop, no roll bar and no side exhaust the best, I'd even opt for wire wheels to complete the look of yesteryear.

If possible maybe you can find a group of guys in your neck of the woods and go for some rides and see what seems closest to your expectations.
And your favorite ice cream is Vanilla and you love the Missionary position!!! Sorry I had to do it!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD, other is 67 Mustang GTA 390 Convertible w/air,
Send a message via Skype™ to fostereast
Not Ranked     
Default Vanilla Build?

Good point, I've ever seen a blue or red Cobra w/stripes, a roll bar, side pipes and a 600 hp motor that requires ear plugs to drive down the road (aka the "vanilla build")

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer0191 View Post
And your favorite ice cream is Vanilla
Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Its real simple in my mind. For the same money which car would have a longer line of guys looking to buy it. A replica with a 5.0 Coyote or an original 427SO? If your honest you know the obvious answer unless aesthetics were low on your priority list.
Yep, pretty basic. It even came down to, IMO, which is going to have a longer guys looking to buy it/future resale...coyote vs sb 427w. I think the Coyote Cobra will have a longer line of people LOOKING at it, but not buyers. The pool of buyers for the magic number 427 is just going to be larger.

Last edited by itstock; 04-22-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Lol I guess I deserve that. I should stop drinking beer while looking at cobras and cobra forums!