LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LSC427, 427DartSHP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You are not stuck. The solution is a quality, tested, 428 block with the extra webbing for the crank. They are getting harder to find, but they're still there, and it will suit your needs -- guaranteed. Just tell blykins or keith or barry that's what you want, and they'll find it for you. Maybe not day after tomorrow, but they'll find it.
I really had the itch for the 427 (I like that bore and stroke combination). I know I can find used 428 blocks. Just had my heart set on a 427. I prefer not to deal with used blocks for this build.

Seasoned is good, but "used" is not in the stars for this build.

I'll freely admin the reasons driving this are purely emotional. Nothing logical about it. I will definitely have a blykins/keith/barry type involved in this one.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 04-05-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Well, alright. But the bore on my build is only .07" less than that of an original sideoiler (and we could have gone further, but I wanted one "freshen up" left in). I went with the longer stroke of 4.125, but not the longest stroke of 4.25 , just for the "quick revving" aspect that made the original sideoilers so much fun. I have driven cars with original sideoilers in them and, between my build and an original SO, you would not be able to tell the difference. And, unless you have mirrors on the tips of your shoes, you can not tell if a SO is in a Cobra or not. But, the choice is yours. Personally, I would much rather have a seasoned iron block, that has been thoroughly measured and tested, than I would a new iron block. No two ways about it.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

About two years ago I started thinking about a FFR Daytona Coupe/Coyote project. The project morphed to a FFR Cobra/Coyote, and then either a Kirkham or ERA with an FE. At first I was going to use a 390 but now the project is settled on an ERA with a Pond aluminum side-oiler with a solid roller and probably 650 HP+.

Would I have been happy with any of those projects? Absolutely. But I settled on the aluminum FE with solid rollers because I think it's cool and this project excites me more. No great rationale - I'm just doing it because I feel like it. Both the FE and Coyote are great options. The Coyote is closer to my daily driver and more reliable while the FE is closer to a 60's race car. See as many cars and engines as you can and figure out what excites you most.

Last edited by lippy; 04-05-2013 at 09:53 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

patrickt, I agree 100% with your logic. I really do.

I just can't seem to the get irrational side of my brain to pay attention.

For 45 years, I have dreamed about having this car. Is that how the rational mind works?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuzzy View Post
patrickt, I agree 100% with your logic. I really do.

I just can't seem to the get irrational side of my brain to pay attention.

For 45 years, I have dreamed about having this car. Is that how the rational mind works?
Go with what your heart cries for. The whole idea of purchasing a Cobra to begin with is irrational.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Personally, I would much rather have a seasoned iron block, that has been thoroughly measured and tested, than I would a new iron block. No two ways about it.
And I would be the polar opposite, assuming you can find a new or used Genesis iron block. I believe most of Barry R's Engine Masters FE builds have used the Genesis iron block. Though it sounds like they're unavailable at this time.

When I first started looking for a nice used FE block, all I saw was junk, near junk and repaired junk. Blech.

As for the Coyote engine in your Cobra (or a 428 for that matter), if you're trying to replicate this experience:

Then I say GO FOR IT.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Go with what your heart cries for. The whole idea of purchasing a Cobra to begin with is irrational.
So true, so true.

John O
Old 04-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
When I first started looking for a nice used FE block, all I saw was junk, near junk and repaired junk. Blech.
Hmmm, I do not know how difficult it is to now get one's hands on a really nice, unmolested 428 block with the crank saddle webbing, suitable for boring out a bit. Eight years ago, it took my builder about six to eight weeks, IIRC, to find something that made us happy. Brent would know better than I on how hard it is now. Maybe you really can't do it anymore except at a cost prohibitive price. And maybe it's just not worth the builder's time to screw with the search anymore -- that's a real possibility.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

Robert Pond told me not too long ago he still casts iron blocks. But, if you can swing the cost, why not go with aluminum? It's a very strong block and weighs as much as a small block.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Isn't that the truth.

After a little time, I may end up going with a 428. I just have to get passed the frustration with being so close to having that Genesis blocked motor in my engine bay.

For my purposes it would have been perfect.

Who knows, maybe one of those engine builders will have something in the shop by the time I am ready to write the check.

In the mean time, I'll keep perusing the catalogs of parts and doing all the math and worrying if the color of the wheels are going to look good with my paint, and visiting my kit in its storage unit....

I passed "nuts" a few miles back and am rolling into full blow crazy. Seems the closer I get, the more the irrational side takes over. At least my Wife has not posted pictures of me sitting (where the seat will be) in my kit going "vroom vroom ba-da-bup ba-da-bup ba-da-bup..." on her Facebook page.

Last edited by Skuzzy; 04-05-2013 at 11:41 AM..
Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
Robert Pond told me not too long ago he still casts iron blocks. But, if you can swing the cost, why not go with aluminum?
Aluminum termites. sr20 block termites? : 240sx General Discussion
Old 04-05-2013, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

With my idea of a street version, insane power (more than 400 HP) doesn't make sense for me. A really well done FE, especially a nice aluminum Pond, would be really sweet especially if I was doing an S/C or pure competition. But the cost and unused potential doesn't fit with my vision and budget.

And I have heard Coyotes really roar when you step on them. Someone had a '12 Mustang Cobra ripping up and down my street for a couple of weeks. (then suddenly nothing lol). I was at the FFR Spring get together one year and I remember a dark blue MK IV with a Coyote in the engine bay. What the owner did was basically hide all the wiring so it was a very clean look. I thought that setup looked really nice - especially when compared to the 4.6 mod motors and the 302s pulled out of old Mustangs.

However, I do agree that when you look at a well done replica and open the hood and not see a traditional motor under there it is a disappointment. That is why if I do a street 427, the 390 FE is so appealing. And the costs seem to be somewhat competative across the board - stock Coyote, mild 390, mild SBF. They all come out in the $6k - $8k range.

The biggest drawback I see with the Coyote is that most of the kit manufacturers haven't quite figured out how to make it fit. I hear stories on FFR about trying to get headers fitting, how the foot boxes are smaller, and that you basically need a shoehorn to get them in.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
However, I do agree that when you look at a well done replica and open the hood and not see a traditional motor under there it is a disappointment.
Yep, I have personally witnessed children break down and cry when they saw a SBF in a car touted as having a "427" in it. Now that I think about it, grown men as well.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:21 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

If u want to "replicate" a Cobra the FE is the only choice.

To Patricks point..I always laugh to myself and just roll my eyes when I see a SB and the guy is telling everybody it's a 427 because its stroked to a 427.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not going the "replicate" route, but there are some things that just seem like the right thing to do.

I will violate the original in many ways and I know the purists will cringe, but when I raise the hood/bonnet, all the cringing will stop,...well,..mostly stop. The puke tank will be my own design and I will probably go with a complete electronic ignition system. I will stick with the twin 4bbl carburetors.

As far as what others do to their car. It is your car. Do what you want and be happy with it. I'll never judge. Truth be told, I will not have any room to do that.

At the end of the day, if driving it puts a smile on your face, then you did good.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
If u want to "replicate" a Cobra the FE is the only choice.

To Patricks point..I always laugh to myself and just roll my eyes when I see a SB and the guy is telling everybody it's a 427 because its stroked to a 427.
so you tell 'em you have a fe? and they say what is that? a ford edsel!

pffft, not even a big block.

The Ford FE engine is a Ford V8 engine used in vehicles sold in the North American market between 1958 and 1976. A related engine, the Ford FT engine, was used in medium and heavy trucks from 1964 through 1978. The FE filled the need for a relatively lightweight medium block engine between the small block Ford Y-block and the big block 385 series engine, to form a larger family of V8 engines than its competitors fielded.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That's it, I'll just do a slabside and put my SBF in there and be done. No kids will be crying.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
That's it, I'll just do a slabside and put my SBF in there and be done. No kids will be crying.
LOL!

It's all good.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm all for the original look and to most that look at our cars they see it.Have to say that if the badge says 427 always hope to see at least some form of big block when the hood is lifted.
Honestly when it comes to our Cobras it is all about the performance a lot of us are after fortunately there are a lot of choices,thankfully with our kit cars we have that freedom and do not have to worry about hurting a collectable.
Originality was my focus, stuck to it as much as functionally possible at least with a big block Ford.
These cars are an excellent way to express our ourselves and to show the world our passion for vintage muscle.There will never be an other car that excites me like a door shaking big block Cobra.Sure anxious for the days to warm up and get the car out of storage.
Whatever engine you choose make it what you want and enjoy the rush.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

FE Vs Coyote?

This is like comparing a T-Rex to an Elephant. One is a warm blooded, vegetarian, mammal. The other a cold blooded, meat eating, dinosaur. They are nothing alike, other than they both breathed air.

No one asked why the original OP had narrowed his choice to these two. I have to assume that the OP has had absolutely no interest in engines in his past. By the things he is considering, he knows he needs one to make his Cobra go, but does not understand the huge difference between these too engines. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Based on this assumption, I have to think the OP will be much happier with the Coyote. Decent power, modern day reliability, and good manors will make him happy. Remember it is what would make the OP happy, not what would make me or you happy!

Last edited by olddog; 04-06-2013 at 06:39 AM..