Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
The problem with the aesthetics/originality argument is that either you are true to the legend or you arbitrarly decide what's important with originality and what is not. How many of you authentic replica owners with an FE are in fact at 427 CID with your motors putting out 425 HP? Not to mention running with 4" main chassis tubes, 4-speed top loader, 1st gen coil suspension and a 3:31 rear end?

The answer is very few if any.
It's not a suspension and trans argument, or debate, it's a power debate against an FE or Coyote with no TQ...
Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
In this economy, hell yes it matters! At least to some of us.

Since I purchased the Cobra:
My company cut all overtime and cut awards - I lost $20K/yr income.
Gasoline has doubled. All my energy cost are up.
Insurance rates up 50%.
Food cost up 30%.
All my benefit costs went up.
The school divided the voters and got a 1% tax on earned income.

I used to have $1000 per month of expendable income to do as I pleased. I no longer can fund my IRA and I look for ways to cut my monthly bills by $20. I have absolutely let the Cobra sit because I didn't have the cash to fill up the tank.

All numbers is based on emotional feelings and are not to be relied on for any valid economic analysis.
You could sell your engine in your car, get a Honda Civic motor with a little turbo charger on it, probably come out ahead in money, get better gas mileage, and with the weight of these cars still have one fun ride, but I doubt your going to do it..
Old 04-07-2013, 02:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
It's not a suspension and trans argument, or debate, it's a power debate against an FE or Coyote with no TQ...
My reply was to REAL 1 who said re Coyote ... does not belong in a Cobra replica IMHO unless you (a) don't care about aesthetics/originality (b) ...

If you want to reduce this to just a power question (dismiss all posts making the authenticity argument), then the answer becomes trivial - just pop in an LS7 and be done with it, makes more sense than going with an existing iron FE boat anchor
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

triple post wtf?

Last edited by scottj; 04-07-2013 at 03:44 PM.. Reason: triple post
Old 04-07-2013, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

Quote:
If you want to reduce this to just a power question (dismiss all posts making the authenticity argument), then the answer becomes trivial - just pop in an LS7 and be done with it, makes more sense than going with an existing iron FE boat anchor

Yep...
Old 04-07-2013, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

double post
Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
My reply was to REAL 1 who said re Coyote ... does not belong in a Cobra replica IMHO unless you (a) don't care about aesthetics/originality (b) ...

Again, that's not the debate, it's FE vs Coyote???????, not LS7 or Ford 460 or 351 Windsor, it's FE vs Coyote?????? I believe that was the title of the thread?????

Last edited by fordracing65; 04-07-2013 at 03:45 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There is hope at Mecum this weekend I saw what appeared to be a five year old with a Cobra model. His dream has begun.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing65 View Post
You could sell your engine in your car, get a Honda Civic motor with a little turbo charger on it, probably come out ahead in money, get better gas mileage, and with the weight of these cars still have one fun ride, but I doubt your going to do it..
Your correct. It will stay.

I hate to whine about my situation when I have had a good life and still have it better than most.

I just get a little annoyed when people argue fuel consumption doesn't matter and it shouldn't be a consideration. Some have stated (in other threads) if your budget is that tight you cannot afford a Cobra. Although both of these points of view may in fact have a lot of truth in them, it seems cruel and heartless to those who are in that situation.

No harm no foul. Still like everyone.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The problem with the aesthetics/originality argument is that either you are true to the legend or you arbitrarly decide what's important with originality and what is not. How many of you authentic replica owners with an FE are in fact at 427 CID with your motors putting out 425 HP? Not to mention running with 4" main chassis tubes, 4-speed top loader, 1st gen coil suspension and a 3:31 rear end?

The arbitrariness of authenticity is irrelevant since the market ultimately determines what is and isn't desirable in terms of aesthethics/originality. Items that aren't obvious departures from the original and generally considered "upgrades" such as aluminum 482's and Tremecs are demanded by the preponderance of CSX, KMP and ERA customers, which are generally considered the closest in terms of originality to the original '60's Cobras.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
The arbitrariness of authenticity is irrelevant since the market ultimately determines what is and isn't desirable in terms of aesthethics/originality. Items that aren't obvious departures from the original and generally considered "upgrades" such as aluminum 482's and Tremecs are demanded by the preponderance of CSX, KMP and ERA customers, which are generally considered the closest in terms of originality to the original '60's Cobras.
Uhhh, so does that mean I'm right?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Uhhh, so does that mean I'm right?
Eh, maybe. I'm not really sure. I stopped reading your posts some time ago.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:

Thats exactly my point. Cars that stay as faithful to the original spec of a Cobra are less in number, more desirable in the resale market and more expensive to build and buy. Thats just the facts plain and simple.

BTW the originals also came with 3.54 rears too in SC and many SC and Comp 427s put out 475hp without a sweat.

Its real simple in my mind. For the same money which car would have a longer line of guys looking to buy it. A replica with a 5.0 Coyote or an original 427SO? If your honest you know the obvious answer unless aesthetics were low on your priority list.

As for those FE "boat anchors" I'll make the same offer to you that Mr. Shelby offered. I'll put a $100.00 bill on the cowl and from 0 to 60 if you can grab it it's yours. If you don't you owe me $100.00. Game?

Last edited by REAL 1; 04-07-2013 at 06:35 PM..
Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
As for those FE "boat anchors" I'll make the same offer to you that Mr. Shelby offered. I'll put a $100.00 bill on the cowl and from 0 to 60 if you can grab it it's yours. If you don't you owe me $100.00. Game?
The "grab" must be with one's teeth, not reaching out with your fingers....
Old 04-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Then I'll up the ante to $500.00.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, go away for the weekend and look what happens LOL

Anywhooo, thanks for the opinions from all of you. I don't think my build will end up being a faithful reproduction, mainly because I don't think most people are going to care if my windshield has the right decal or the switches are real Lucas switches. My first priority is something that runs well and is safe to operate. Now, from the outside, I do like it to look like a Cobra, at least in the 20/20 test (20 feet, 20 mph). So, 15" rims, Halibrand replicas (because Sunburst rims are rarer than hen's teeth), low back bucket seats, air splitter, etc. The FE idea is just taking the image one step further so that those who know will appreciate the extra details. I agree that I appreciate the builder who puts an FE under the hood. However, I have seen many nice engines that were not FEs. In the end for me, it will be something that will make me satisfied. And if I don't end up liking it, I can change it!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Do a 390FE or a 351W. Gives u the classic V8 rumble & look and the price is right .
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK IV/Coyote/PS/PB/ABS/AC
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
Wow, go away for the weekend and look what happens LOL

In the end for me, it will be something that will make me satisfied. And if I don't end up liking it, I can change it!
Ahhh, sanity speaks.....finally. Elegant words, truly.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
Ahhh, sanity speaks.....finally. Elegant words, truly.
But he started this whole thing by asking our opinions which he got.

In the end it's what will make him happy.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five chassis/Mr. Bruce slabside
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Eh, maybe. I'm not really sure. I stopped reading your posts some time ago.
Now THAT'S funny.

John O