19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
Thank you for finding the typo (the sentence doesn't make sense as written--the roller couldn't be built up with Shelby parts if we delivered it as a roller). We have contacted Curt Scott to clarify the ad. This frame and body was delivered to Shelby as a frame and body only.

Just for clarification: we sold two rollers to Carroll Shelby personally. We have never sold a roller to the company Shelby American.

David
So Carroll owned 2 Kirkhams. I wonder if at some point in time he changed the serial numbers to make them csx4000 cars or if they still have their Kirkham serial numbers.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
So Carroll owned 2 Kirkhams.
Kirkham never supplied a roller to the Shelby American company, but he personally purchased two Kirkham rollers. That speaks volumes in it of itself.

Even The Man preferred Kirkham over CSX's or he was too frugal to pay the CSX premium for a less desirable Cobra.
D111 likes this.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Kirkham never supplied a roller to the Shelby American company, but he personally purchased two Kirkham rollers. That speaks volumes in it of itself.

Even The Man preferred Kirkham over CSX's or he was too frugal to pay the CSX premium for a less desirable Cobra.
Sure, that's what that means. he preferred a Kirkham over his own CSX's.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA#520, Roush 427SR
Not Ranked     

This is a f^&$##@ time out for me. If this site is here to promote or allow this petty BS, then you are not car guys. I went to a LA Dodgers game three/four years ago and my Cub 1st baseman was run over and broke a hand. There was a cheer and garbage thrown down on my daughter and me..................I do not go to LA Dodger games anymore. This is our sport and life style and it requires respect!!!!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427
Not Ranked     
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post
This is a f^&$##@ time out for me. If this site is here to promote or allow this petty BS, then you are not car guys. I went to a LA Dodgers game three/four years ago and my Cub 1st baseman was run over and broke a hand. There was a cheer and garbage thrown down on my daughter and me..................I do not go to LA Dodger games anymore. This is our sport and life style and it requires respect!!!!
I think you're a kook :-)
Old 08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by D111 View Post
I think you're a kook :-)
Well, they shouldn't have done that. But, to this day, if you wear a Dallas jersey to a Skins home game you are taking your life in your hands.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

OK, boys and girls....take it down a notch.

Thanks
Ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4017 View Post

I know guys using POS about others autos. WOW I thought car guys got along.

Bro don't go to a Yankees game in the Bronx, even for a Yankee fan it could be an experience. Were another shirt and it's like a target on you.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slither View Post
Sure, that's what that means. he preferred a Kirkham over his own CSX's.
In a humorous tone (see ROTFL emoticon), I made a or one logical conclusion and/or inference from the fact that Carroll Shelby had his own Cobra manufacturing company (SAI) and decided to buy two rollers from another Cobra manufacturer with his own personal money. Why would CS need two MORE Cobras in his empire that weren't his own?
Old 08-22-2013, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alum bodied CSX4266, fuel injected alloy 472, 663 hp Engine built by Dralle. Suspension by Tom Barnard
Not Ranked     

Quote:
In a humorous tone (see ROTFL emoticon), I made a or one logical conclusion and/or inference from the fact that Carroll Shelby had his own Cobra manufacturing company (SAI) and decided to buy two rollers from another Cobra manufacturer with his own personal money. Why would CS need two MORE Cobras in his empire that weren't his own?
I agree with you!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Well this makes me feel a little better. You guys don't need me around to start a food fight.

CSX4017 is correct. It should be about respect which is sorely lacking around here.

Rodknock: I am sure CS acquired those Kirkham rollers for conversion to CSXs.

Allen: You stole my old sig line. CSX 4206 was the most accurately detailed to original specs since the demise of CSX 4027 from about 2003 to maybe 2009. I was personally familiar with CSX4027 and friendly with it's former owner who helped and guided me with many details on CSX4206 and friendly with Bill Andrews who did the final assembly on CSX4027. Do you know Steve Sunshine??
Since the demise of CSX4027 there have been several other very detailed Continuation Cobras constructed so I was no longer comfortable in saying CSX4206 was the most highly detailed but likely is one of the most or more highly detailed ones out their today.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Maybe Shelby purchased them to give away as gifts and he did not want to give expensive real Shelby's away.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Rodknock: I am sure CS acquired those Kirkham rollers for conversion to CSXs.
Yep, sure. He bought Kirkham rollers to take off the suspension, brakes, etc. in order to convert them into CSX's. That makes total sense, especially when you consider his company already buys Kirkham bodies and chassis' from Kirkham. Oy vey.

Razorwire's explanation is far more plausible unless you consider that the folks receiving these Kirkham roller gifts would probably be insulted that they're not receiving REAL and GENUINE Shelby Cobra's.

I think he just wanted to buy a couple rollers from a company with a product that is considered the industry standard bearer and has excellent customer service.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Instead of speculating why don't you have a medium ask him and report back.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Carroll may have wanted to compare Kirkham's billet suspension with his own.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
That's possible too, but then, why wouldn't he just visit the Kirkham's shop, as he had in the past. They have several there that they could have put on a lift or taken to Miller Motorsports Park. Or alternatively, buy just one, or maybe even just borrow one. The Kirkham's are a pretty customer service-driven business and they likely would have done virtually anything for The Legend.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...He bought Kirkham rollers to take off the suspension, brakes, etc. in order to convert them into CSX's. That makes total sense, especially when you consider his company already buys Kirkham bodies and chassis' from Kirkham...
The cars were delivered as complete rollers with original, tubular suspensions, Girling brakes, and original parts. Carroll wanted them to original specification. The cars were sold directly to Carroll. We still make cars like that today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
At one time Shelby (or it may have been Venture) drew our entire billet suspension in CAD. I saw the drawings. However, by the time they had it all drawn, we had made at least five major revisions to the suspension. We still revise our suspensions even now. For example, yesterday we improved our rotor hats. We are constantly improving.

Quote:
That's possible too, but then, why wouldn't he just visit the Kirkham's shop, as he had in the past. They have several there that they could have put on a lift or taken to Miller Motorsports Park. Or alternatively, buy just one, or maybe even just borrow one. The Kirkham's are a pretty customer service-driven business and they likely would have done virtually anything for The Legend.
Carroll was

Thank you for your kind words

David
cobrakiwi likes this.
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirkham View Post
The cars were delivered as complete rollers with original, tubular suspensions, Girling brakes, and original parts. Carroll wanted them to original specification. The cars were sold directly to Carroll. We still make cars like that today.
David
Now I'm curious why he would order two original-spec Kirkham's and not have Shelby MSO's. Save money? Hmmm.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now I'm curious why he would order two original-spec Kirkham's and not have Shelby MSO's. Save money? Hmmm.
Who says they didn't have Shelby MSO's? Carroll licensed CSX numbers to Shelby American. Carroll could always issue CSX numbers on his own as well. Carroll didn't have to get CSX numbers from Shelby American.

David
cobrakiwi likes this.
"Fear is the thief of dreams."
Old 08-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Forgive my curiousness, but to finish the story, what did CS finally do with them?