nobody argued about my statement!!!!!!
Nobody cares
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That coyote looks very clean with the stacks.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

and that there lies the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashburn View Post
Nobody cares
Old 01-21-2014, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

considering cost, kc is selling a complete 408 for about $10k to the door, a crate 427 from any of the reputable builders is going to be $12+, an all aluminum LS ready to go is still under the $7k + acc. mark I believe, sorry don't know what the coyote runs.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

My vote is for Coyote! I have one with a phase II Roush supercharger in a 67 Mustang. You just can't beat today's technology for your particular build! Great motor and while i dont particularly like the look of the stock intake, it can be dressed up nicely to look quite stunning! Coyote is best bang for your buck hp and drivability wise. Go for it!

If i wouldn't be beheaded for installing one in my 289FIA Kirkham, id be on board too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5-RfWMasm4

http://youtu.be/m5-RfWMasm4
anthonyL likes this.

Last edited by RestoCreations; 01-22-2014 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 714
Not Ranked     

Having a aluminum 427 BB, I must say I am not disappointed. The sound and HP's are simply amazing. Don't know much about the Coyotes, but they never could catch the Roadrunner, thus I would stay with the 427.

Large Arbor
lovehamr and anthonyL like this.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contempoary
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyL View Post
I'm currently speaking with the builder who built my last backdraft cobra. I am torn between the Ford racing 427 535 hp engine that I had in my last build or the new coyote. I built my last car in 2011 and the coyote was Available but I liked the vintage look of the 427. I have since sold my last car (big mistake) I want to get started on my next build but have been trying to decide on the motor for two weeks going back-and-forth. I like the reliability of the coyote but I am concerned about resale value. Any thoughts?
Vintage look for me all the way. Just fuel inject a old engine and have the old school look. My 2 cents anyway.
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD
Not Ranked     

Hello Anthony,

Here is a link to a build where the owner took out the 427 SOHC motor and installed the Coyote in a Kirkham.....Lots of feedback in the thread and very interesting.

Kirkham Flip-top Coyote Install

Tony R.
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, thousands of track miles, new definition of reliability!! He seams to live at high rpms. Low end torque is not a concern for him. Nice article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ripepi View Post
Hello Anthony,

Here is a link to a build where the owner took out the 427 SOHC motor and installed the Coyote in a Kirkham.....Lots of feedback in the thread and very interesting.

Kirkham Flip-top Coyote Install

Tony R.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

The Coyote will be a nice, reliable, street performer. It will have impressive performance in the upper rpm range and excellent mileage - if that's important to you.

It will not have the low speed torque of a 400+ inch engine, but it will also not buck and fart in fifth gear with 3.31 gears on the highway.

If you want all the drivability of the Coyote and the instantaneous response to your ever so slight movement of the accelerator you need to put a positive displacement blower (KB or Whipple) on the engine.

In blown format you will easily have 580+ ft/lbs of TQ from a very low rpm all the way to redline - table flat and you have 650 to 680 HP for fun and games. As long as you keep you foot out of it you will see low to middle 20's for mileage depending on your tune.

Ed

after thoughts; These engines are not inexpensive to build. For that matter none of the engines we use are inexpensive to build but some find ways to become more expensive than others. A blown version of this engine fits somewhere between a side oiler and a SOHC price-wise, if you do it correctly - something to think about
anthonyL likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok lets put some numbers down roush 427 $14,500 no computer needed standard install $2K (includes trans etc). what a coyote cost and what is the adder over 2k for complete install? How much does blower cost? is hood modifications needed? nobody needs 650 hp!!! is it possible to get blown coyote with max 550 hp and 550 ft-lbs torque hitting at 4krpm?
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:20 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
ok lets put some numbers down roush 427 $14,500 no computer needed standard install $2K (includes trans etc).
Have you priced a TKO-600 in the last 3 years?
Russell9318 likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B cobra (sold), Hurricane HMS1002 (sold), Kirkham 289 FIA, (sold) RCR GT 40(sold) SPF GT40 2122(sold) Hurricane HMS2002, (sold) RCR SLC (sold) GTR on the way!
Not Ranked     

I think things are changing in the cobra market and hobby. I used to think a 427 cobra should have an FE, not a small block. The cobra that was "best" was the one that was the closest to the original that one could afford. Lately I have changed my opinion. This is after building so many cobras I can't quickly add them up. I think the coyote engine is an awesome engine and fits well in a cobra that is built in the spirit of the a 1960's cobra but a new rendition. Backdraft has been the leader in this market. Their cars are no where near original but they are some of the best driving cobras I have ever driven. They appeal to the hot rodder or the street rod guy that might want a something a little different or maybe a younger market. If you want original, then go with the FE and a CSX or ERA or one of the more accurate replicas. But if you want something different, not better or worse, through a coyote in a backdraft and hit the road!
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I think that when I'm done with mine, I'll part it out, will get thousands more for the car and engine separate than as a single sale item---------
joyridin' likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6128 with Shelby 468FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlampe View Post
I think things are changing in the cobra market and hobby. I used to think a 427 cobra should have an FE, not a small block. The cobra that was "best" was the one that was the closest to the original that one could afford. Lately I have changed my opinion. This is after building so many cobras I can't quickly add them up. I think the coyote engine is an awesome engine and fits well in a cobra that is built in the spirit of the a 1960's cobra but a new rendition. Backdraft has been the leader in this market. Their cars are no where near original but they are some of the best driving cobras I have ever driven. They appeal to the hot rodder or the street rod guy that might want a something a little different or maybe a younger market. If you want original, then go with the FE and a CSX or ERA or one of the more accurate replicas. But if you want something different, not better or worse, through a coyote in a backdraft and hit the road!
You hit the nail on the head - well summed up!
anthonyL likes this.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I think that when I'm done with mine, I'll part it out, will get thousands more for the car and engine separate than as a single sale item---------
VERY smart decision. Or spend the extra loot on an old beat up FE engine and you will still make out better than keeping the LSx in it.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, There are some FE's laying around the shop, but what I was implying? was that many more of my old engines and stuff are used as designer/collector coffee tables,etc, than trailer queen powerplants-------
Old 01-25-2014, 11:57 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Oh, There are some FE's laying around the shop, but what I was implying? was that many more of my old engines and stuff are used as designer/collector coffee tables,etc, than trailer queen powerplants-------
Yet the majority of buyers out there still think that the LSx in a Cobra is dumb. No matter how badass of an engine it is, it hurts resale (perhaps not final value, but the amount of time to sell).

Now look at the pro touring 1st gen Camaros's with the LSx. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ That is a good place for the engine and they get the money deserved.

So back to the Coyote, I do believe that the market is extremely thinned out once you go this route as far as resale is concerned. Again, the final dollar may be close to an old(er) school powerplant, but there is little to no doubt that it takes longer to find that special buyer. It certainly steered me away from it, plus I wanted something with a nice cam anyway.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I think that my be related to your fuel of choice (or choice of fuel?) for those old soldiers, Jerry ...

Ed
Jerry Clayton likes this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed

I promise not to use H (hydrazine) never have----------
How come that post about the Elapsed Times magazine doesn't show up on these pages? or is it just my computer???

For Itstock----I intend to take my car to the salt flats and try to run 300 mph with it---will be a first for a cobra bodied car----one of the places where I haven't held a record.
After its over the car and engine can be separated-------