Like Tree135Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 11:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Real 1,

The weather forecast for N.J. is looking great for the rest of the week so you need to get away from the keyboard and clear the dust off your Cobra and go for a nice long ride to clear your head!
Fire it up and have some fun!
Old 04-17-2014, 11:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

As has been said before the only question being asked by the gen pop is "is it an original" no matter how they phrase it. My answer is always "No" it's a Superformance Replica.

What anyone else says about theirs is up to them.

I'm just glad I have a Cobra! I'm going to go drive mine right now!

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
... Message to SAAC. You have what appears to be an inconsistent statement in your Registry at page 16 with what is clearly stated in the preponderance of the your Registry. If you like I can provide all the page numbers. Thought you guys might like to know.

P.S.P.S. You also appear to have Continuation Cobras on the cover of your World Registry of Cobras & GT40s. Does that need to be fixed?
Sorry, I had to pen a reply to this one ...

Dear Evan,
As a valued SAAC contributor and avid enthusiast of these cars, thank you for your input. The paragraph you site in the Registry's "Evolution of the Registry", page 16, in fact accurately describes the thought process at the time by SAAC to protect investors of these rare and highly collectible cars from mass production versions by SAI and the ever growing 3rd party manufacturers. The primary purpose of the Registry is to maintain order and legitimacy of the original Cobras, produced in very limited numbers, so that collectors of these cars will continue to see their investment hold value and appreciate over time. As a CSX4000 series owner, you should be proud to own the later SAI version which is faithful to the original and with some 30 years of technological advances. Someday you may have the opportunity to own an original and the SAAC will help protect that investment, thank you for your continued support as a SAAC member.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post

Dear Evan,
As a valued SAAC contributor and avid enthusiast of these cars, thank you for your input. The paragraph you site in the Registry's "Evolution of the Registry", page 16, in fact accurately describes the thought process at the time by SAAC to protect investors of these rare and highly collectible cars from mass production versions by SAI and the ever growing 3rd party manufacturers. The primary purpose of the Registry is to maintain order and legitimacy of the original Cobras, produced in very limited numbers, so that collectors of these cars will continue to see their investment hold value and appreciate over time. As a CSX4000 series owner, you should be proud to own the later SAI version which is faithful to the original and with some 30 years of technological advances. Someday you may have the opportunity to own an original and the SAAC will help protect that investment, thank you for your continued support as a SAAC member.
uh oh -

But it is still a Cobra
Old 04-17-2014, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

There has been some good tidbits and history in this thread sprinkled into the nonsense, but mostly what I've learned is how much I suck at hiding the fact that my car is just a replica

Old 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Take the SAAC Registry off the table and just deal with the question Joe Public is asking "is it real". Either you agree his/her curiosity is focused on "was it built in the 60's" or you don't. Some have a mental block and cant' accept that translation to get to the fundamental right answer. Ironically, all have been asked that question many times, and if you're being honest, it always goes to same place "no, it's not a 60's original but ...".

Now put the SAAC Registry back on the table with definitions below. Everything said above in not in conflict to the registry as some have implied. In fact, the registry provides you guidance on how to answer that question truthfully IF you understand what Joe Public is fundamentally asking.

1. Original Cobra: Those produced between '62 and '68.

2. CSX Continuation Cobras: Current production Cobras built by Shelby to more less original standards delivered without engine and transmission.

3. Kit Car or Replica: Any Car with a body which approximates the original Cobra shape, using any kind frame, suspension, brakes or driveline.

Joe Public is asking if your car is an original cobra and nothing more. How they frame the question should not be viewed as your opportunity to get your foot in the door and steer away from the fundamental right answer. Once answered, if Joe Public decides to walk away so what, why do you care? If more dialogue follows then cool - you've met someone truly interested in the hobby.
Thank you Al,
In the words of our friend who needs help... You nailed it!

So Evan, Why the mental block?

Quote:

Dear Evan,
Oh no!
You've insulted him.

Ps. Evan, mine is merely a cobra by anyone definition. Just not a real one!
Just ask any Joe public

PPS: counterfeit as per definition fits yours perfectly. No?
Let google guide you.

counterfeit
ˈkaʊntəfɪt,-fiːt/
adjective
made in exact imitation of something valuable with the intention to deceive or defraud.
"counterfeit $10 note"
"a counterfeit image of reality"

Shoe fits, no?
I think SAAC might agree... Perhaps that's why they included them?
Old 04-17-2014, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA2076 View Post
uh oh -

But it is still a Cobra
Yes, there are Cobras and there are Cobras, I think the SAAC with that "Evolution of the Registry" paragraph is letting us know which ones they care about
Old 04-17-2014, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2607 Roush 427IR 8-stack EFI
Not Ranked     

I see it in the same ways as Coca-Cola, there are a lot of Soda Colas out there, maybe you don't see, feel and taste the diference but that doesn't matter, still a Cola. At the end you see Coca-Cola as original but is the same as the others Colas. So if anyone ask I will just say is a continuation branded SPF. Shelby CSX are the same but Coca-Cola branded

Thank to all the posters, Cheers
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Almac Cobra 427R
Not Ranked     

Wow. Real1 might be pompous, but Ralphy you have a weird mind.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevanWright View Post
Wow. Real1 might be pompous, but Ralphy you have a weird mind.
Thanks I try harder! But I have been battling my voluntary tourettes. One day at a time you know?

Kevins2, be honest, you attach the letters COB in front of the ERA. LOL

Ralphy
Old 04-17-2014, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

Hey Ralphy,

Yes, I do refer to my replica as a Cobra, but in the generic sense as has been discussed in parts of this thread and, obviously, I have no problem answering the question honestly. My point was to add one more vote for the folks that aren't too concerned with all this original or fake stuff. To me, the fact that there are so many replicas is a tribute to the original cars.

Kevin
Nedsel, DRED and Ralphy like this.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - B2Motorsports Dart 331
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins2 View Post
mostly what i've learned is how much i suck at hiding the fact that my car is just a replica :lol:

kevins2 likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Take the SAAC Registry off the table and just deal with the question Joe Public is asking "is it real". Either you agree his/her curiosity is focused on "was it built in the 60's" or you don't. Some have a mental block and cant' accept that translation to get to the fundamental right answer. Ironically, all have been asked that question many times, and if you're being honest, it always goes to same place "no, it's not a 60's original but ...".

Now put the SAAC Registry back on the table with definitions below. Everything said above in not in conflict to the registry as some have implied. In fact, the registry provides you guidance on how to answer that question truthfully IF you understand what Joe Public is fundamentally asking.

1. Original Cobra: Those produced between '62 and '68.

2. CSX Continuation Cobras: Current production Cobras built by Shelby to more less original standards delivered without engine and transmission.

3. Kit Car or Replica: Any Car with a body which approximates the original Cobra shape, using any kind frame, suspension, brakes or driveline.

Joe Public is asking if your car is an original cobra and nothing more. How they frame the question should not be viewed as your opportunity to get your foot in the door and steer away from the fundamental right answer. Once answered, if Joe Public decides to walk away so what, why do you care? If more dialogue follows then cool - you've met someone truly interested in the hobby.
Bingo! We have winner!!!!

Johnny, please tell the man what he won!~

Old 04-17-2014, 02:28 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Real 1,

The weather forecast for N.J. is looking great for the rest of the week so you need to get away from the keyboard and clear the dust off your Cobra and go for a nice long ride to clear your head!
Fire it up and have some fun!
Correcto!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyg View Post
As has been said before the only question being asked by the gen pop is "is it an original" no matter how they phrase it. My answer is always "No" it's a Superformance Replica.

What anyone else says about theirs is up to them.

I'm just glad I have a Cobra! I'm going to go drive mine right now!
That's fine Buddyg. I agree you have a Superformance replica but honestly I personally have no problem with what you call your car or believe your car is. Its fine with me. Go enjoy it.
Ralphy likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Dear Evan,
Assuming that was SAAC's official response and clarification to what the editor in chief meant I could live with that explanation. No issue here.

Hey, any of you guys in Jersey want to meet up for a cup of coffee and talk Cobras and Cobra replicas? I'll buy the coffee

Cheers.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #1309 www.spfowners.freeforums.net
Not Ranked     

Just got back from taking my daughter and then my wife for a drive! Then some solo time, man is that a lot more fun than all of us and our dribble.

It's Cobra weather baby!
Ralphy likes this.

http://spfowners.freeforums.net/
Old 04-18-2014, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

[
Gee Mdross1 I am not the one throwing aspersions. I am merely pointing to the definitions and categories used by SAAC when addressing the issue. The way it see it the aspersions being hurled in my direction and toward the current production Cobras.

Well Real one like you throwing aspersions are not meant to be taken literally. Your long winded speeches about the authenticity of our Cobras has long since worn some of us out. You can have the last word since you are so intent on having it.

We are a lot alike in the end both dedicated, me for my creation whatever it is supposed to be referred to as, yours is easy it is spelled out in bold print we get it. If your needing to be on that pedestal is so important that you have dedicated all this time then sir step up. That SAAC registry and it's definitions is important to you we certainly get it.

Please do not forget there are a lot of hot rodders on this forum that love these cars as much as we do. Owning a real one is more important to some boy is that obvious. You have to see that all these other hot rodders are as dedicated and when we read something posted the way you word it expect confrontation. I'm certain this is not your first time on the defense.

Thankfully most of the owners of CSX cars I have met over the years are much easier to get along with. Really curious what kind of a person you are away from this forum.
MDRoss One
Thor maine and Ralphy like this.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Real1=Troll!

http://americablog.com/2014/02/dark-...et-trolls.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
[
Gee Mdross1 I am not the one throwing aspersions. I am merely pointing to the definitions and categories used by SAAC when addressing the issue. The way it see it the aspersions being hurled in my direction and toward the current production Cobras.

Well Real one like you throwing aspersions are not meant to be taken literally. Your long winded speeches about the authenticity of our Cobras has long since worn some of us out. You can have the last word since you are so intent on having it.

We are a lot alike in the end both dedicated, me for my creation whatever it is supposed to be referred to as, yours is easy it is spelled out in bold print we get it. If your needing to be on that pedestal is so important that you have dedicated all this time then sir step up. That SAAC registry and it's definitions is important to you we certainly get it.

Please do not forget there are a lot of hot rodders on this forum that love these cars as much as we do. Owning a real one is more important to some boy is that obvious. You have to see that all these other hot rodders are as dedicated and when we read something posted the way you word it expect confrontation. I'm certain this is not your first time on the defense.

Thankfully most of the owners of CSX cars I have met over the years are much easier to get along with. Really curious what kind of a person you are away from this forum.
MDRoss One
Ralphy
Old 04-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
[

MDRoss One
Actually, my mom told me I'm a great guy. However, I appear to be widely misunderstood here.

Seriously, I have no problem with anyone personally. I only have problems with personal attacks. People are entitled to their personal views if that's what it is.

I have owned Excalibur replica Cobras and ERA replica cobras. Both wonderful cars. I would own an ERA again. The Cobra owes much to the hot rodder. We all know that. More importantly the Cobra itself owes much to the replica and the guys who buy them and build them. I think SAAC should show more recognition of that IMHO. Without replicas and the replica industry I believe the Cobra would fade in history and the public mind and be forgotten to a large extent. No doubt in my mind about it. If the Cobra fades in the mind of the public SAAC fades away and disappears to a large extent. It becomes nothing more than a mutual admiration club limited to those included in the "fraternity" like the Oscars where actors gather to give each other awards.

There is nothing pejorative in owning a "replica" of a Cobra as defined by SAAC. Not in my mind and not in my usage of the word. Many here read into my words. They are cars that pay homage to something we all love and they help keep the hobby alive and as such the Cobra alive in many many ways. Replicas, many of which are better built, faster, better designed, and safer and are what keep this hobby alive and the Cobra alive. As Peter Portante' of ERA once said to me when talking about the tubing on the original Cobra "he has seen better tubing on lawn chairs". I agree based on what I have seen over the many years I have been involved in this hobby.

Cheers.