LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Mk3.1 / 347
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Awesome dedication to the hobby CCRsAC, you truly have a 98 point counterfeit of the highest quality. I will put my thinking cap on to see how you can snap up 2 more points! How many man-hours do you figure you've spent over the last 5 years tweaking that beauty, must be in the thousands.
It's sort of like receipts - I don't want to know.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRsAC View Post
It's sort of like receipts - I don't want to know.
I trust most of it was fun + pride involved in doing it yourself = well worth the time expended.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

All kidding aside, it's been a wonderful journey and worth every bit of time and money invested. It would have certainly been more economical to buy a Superformance or comparable roller at the outset. But, as you pointed out, there's more to it. The missing variable in that equation are the skills I developed and the friendships I established during this project.

Sure, it's not quite right in proportion, equipment, or pedigree, but then again - like any other Cobra (original, continuation, or replica), it's just a thing. In the end, it's the intangibles that count. My life, and the lives of all the other builders of fakeydoos out there, are better for having walked our journey.

That's what this hobby means to me.
Dimis likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
All kidding aside, it's been a wonderful journey and worth every bit of time and money invested. It would have certainly been more economical to buy a Superformance or comparable roller at the outset. But, as you pointed out, there's more to it. The missing variable in that equation are the skills I developed and the friendships I established during this project.

Sure, it's not quite right in proportion, equipment, or pedigree, but then again - like any other Cobra (original, continuation, or replica), it's just a thing. In the end, it's the intangibles that count. My life, and the lives of all the other builders of fakeydoos out there, are better for having walked our journey.

That's what this hobby means to me.
Yep, I get it - built a 20' Gar Wood Deluxe Utility boat (30's era) years ago and had a blast doing it, took 6 years but I was employed full time. Recently retired and have all the time in the world now, double-deep two car garage and most hand & power tools. I was looking at your punch list of mods and curious what the time and materials came to - maybe I'll go down that path? I already have a feeler out on Chrome Paint but don't intend to do that myself.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CCRsAC, do you have one of these waiting for install, it's worth a point.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

C'mon, guys, share the pics of your creative interpretation of the legend!!!!

Remember, these cars are like boobs - real or fake, they're still fun to play with.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
CCRsAC, do you have one of these waiting for install, it's worth a point.
No, I didn't get one of those when he was still with us, but having one done by SAI via "autopen" now would really be in keeping with the overall fakiness of my car. I would think that'd be worth two points!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
No, I didn't get one of those when he was still with us, but having one done by SAI via "autopen" now would really be in keeping with the overall fakiness of my car. I would think that'd be worth two points!
I concur, 1 point because it's an auto-pen and 1 point because it came from SAI for an FFR install. There's your 100 point fakeydoo, post order confirmation and the fine folks here I'm sure will grant you 100 point status now
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #795 427 S/C completed Jan. '14 - '68 FE 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

This thread has been a real hoot. Although my car, other than the paint scheme, closely resembles an original, that was just part of the hobby to me not an obsession. I'm not an originality buff and, to those that are, nothing wrong with that but clearly we all enjoy these cars for our own reasons. In fact, if the original Cobras never existed and, yes I know that would mean our cars wouldn't exist either, but imagine if you will that they didn't but your car somehow exists. Would you enjoy it any less? I think not.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well yes and no, the male psyche is a funny thing. When the obsessed CCRsAC gets into his 100 point fake, he will be immersed in the 60's era environment just like original owners were. From wood grain steering wheel, to flat-top 4-speed shift knob, to smith gauges and so on. As he motors away, just being in that period correct cockpit will teleport him back to the 60's and the whole visceral experience richer imo.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Ok I'll jump in on this thread. 289 stripes on a 427 ? Does that get me points? I love to see that big vein pop out on the purists forehead when they see them.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Oh, yeah. That will just ruin any purist's day all right.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #408, 302 crate motor, 425 HP.
Not Ranked     

Extremely nice fakey, fake! Love the color! It will stand on its own next to all the , white, red, silver & blue fakey, fake!

Regards,

Mike
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky781 View Post
Ok I'll jump in on this thread. 289 stripes on a 427 ? Does that get me points? I love to see that big vein pop out on the purists forehead when they see them.
As a fake, that car is a fail... it looks way too nice! Love the not-right stripe, too. Sure doesn't look like you guys are enjoying it... too bad it's fakeness is sucking all the fun out of it for you.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well yes and no, the male psyche is a funny thing. When the obsessed CCRsAC gets into his 100 point fake, he will be immersed in the 60's era environment just like original owners were. From wood grain steering wheel, to flat-top 4-speed shift knob, to smith gauges and so on. As he motors away, just being in that period correct cockpit will teleport him back to the 60's and the whole visceral experience richer imo.

Yep - that pretty much sums up the approach to my car also.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
As a fake, that car is a fail... it looks way too nice! Love the not-right stripe, too. Sure doesn't look like you guys are enjoying it... too bad it's fakeness is sucking all the fun out of it for you.
Hold on there just one minute Skippy. Lets be consistent and fair if your going to do this right.

Is a 100 point Fakeydoo fake aesthetically accurate to what it is Faking to be i.e. a Shelby Cobra as your foundational OP stakes out? or....

Is a 100 point Fakeydoo fake the least aesthetically accurate to what it is Faking to be i.e. a Shelby Cobra as your foundational OP stakes out? .....

In one post you seem to want aesthetic accuracy in your Fakeydoos yet in another you want to see all the "interpretative" work.

Seems to me you need a rule clarification for your membership.

BTW if aesthetic accuracy is the ticket to a 100 point fakeydoo where did you place your battery? I am concerned based on the photos you posted on the first page. Depending on your answer it could result in a another point deduction for you. Hmmm.

Cheers
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

CCRsA thank you for your kind words. I will admit I have not read every post in this thread, and my sense of humor often gets me in hot water, so I was only having fun. Driving that car is the most fun I have with my clothes on or off !! Fakeydoo, replica, kit or original these cars are only second to the ones that THAT guy, at the car shows, who's brother, cousin, uncle or whatever distant family member, found in a barn, off a craigslist ad, that he paid $50 dollars for and is the last of the "original" 10,000 cobras that were made and is worth $10,000,000, so he knows EVERYTHING about cobras!!! I hope the weather gets warmer, everyone ties down their knockoffs, and we got burn up some dinosaurs!!!! Enjoy
Old 04-24-2014, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     

Evan,

I would propose that in keeping with the fakeydoo concept, the membership and rules should be just as fake, therefore warranting no clarification in the fake eye of the fake beholder.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

http://gatewayclassiccars.com/images.../LOU/57/57.jpg
Remember this one?

I was sort of thinking like Evan, oh ****! I'm thinking awards ought to be given at both ends of the scale. Okay not quit like Evan, relief..... What about the guy who takes an MG and practices his art? Real bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItBites View Post
Evan,

I would propose that in keeping with the fakeydoo concept, the membership and rules should be just as fake, therefore warranting no clarification in the fake eye of the fake beholder.

Ralphy
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There does appear to be inconsistent criteria for the participants. Does a SBF dressed up to appear like a BB FE carry more weight than an unaltered chevy in its' place? Seems to me the more blasphemous the fakery the better. Sort of proof in the putting that you really could give a rat's ass about what others think lol.