Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 08:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

See, chebby guys are in a group all by themselves in the car enthusiast world. I know this is generalizing, but the majority of chebby guys I have met are usually loud mouth bastards.

Yes, there are some Ford guys like this, and Mopar guys, but the majority of chebby guys like to stir the pot.

Just like this very topic. A chebby guy buys a Cobra either with a chebby engine, or he installed it. Why, did the chebby engine make tons more hp than any Ford, No.
Did the chebby engine fit better than any Ford engine, No.

Its all because most chebby guys put their $#%^ engines in Ford bodies to justify owning a Ford, or a replica of a Ford. Oh, and like my neighbor said when he saw my Cobra, "I wanna own one a those, an put a chebby engine in it to piss off the Ford guys".

Never have I even considered buying anything gm, much less owning anything gm with the intentions of installing a Ford engine in it to "piss off the gm guys".

Also, speaking of politically correctness, look how many chebby asshats troll Ford forums. Hell, a few years ago, my last time to post on the Vintage Mustang Forum a chebby guy whined until a political correct mod let him post his chebby into a classic Mustang build.

FTR, I NEVER go to any gm forums as I'm not interested in anything made by gm, and I certainly wouldn't think I would be welcome with open arms trying to post about a BBF in a camero body.

Heck, I don't really hate gm cars that much as all cars are pretty much made from the same stuff, its just the chebby guys with their huge egos, and big mouths that make me want no part of anything gm.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrain2000 View Post
See, chebby guys are in a group all by themselves in the car enthusiast world. I know this is generalizing, but the majority of chebby guys I have met are usually loud mouth bastards.

Yes, there are some Ford guys like this, and Mopar guys, but the majority of chebby guys like to stir the pot.

Just like this very topic. A chebby guy buys a Cobra either with a chebby engine, or he installed it. Why, did the chebby engine make tons more hp than any Ford, No.
Did the chebby engine fit better than any Ford engine, No.

Its all because most chebby guys put their $#%^ engines in Ford bodies to justify owning a Ford, or a replica of a Ford. Oh, and like my neighbor said when he saw my Cobra, "I wanna own one a those, an put a chebby engine in it to piss off the Ford guys".

Never have I even considered buying anything gm, much less owning anything gm with the intentions of installing a Ford engine in it to "piss off the gm guys".

Also, speaking of politically correctness, look how many chebby asshats troll Ford forums. Hell, a few years ago, my last time to post on the Vintage Mustang Forum a chebby guy whined until a political correct mod let him post his chebby into a classic Mustang build.

FTR, I NEVER go to any gm forums as I'm not interested in anything made by gm, and I certainly wouldn't think I would be welcome with open arms trying to post about a BBF in a camero body.

Heck, I don't really hate gm cars that much as all cars are pretty much made from the same stuff, its just the chebby guys with their huge egos, and big mouths that make me want no part of anything gm.

Maybe you should expand your horizons and get out more....Sounds like a rant from a guy who's had his ass kicked by more than one GM product.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

Would have been interesting in 1966-1970 if Shelby had the vision as to the interest in his Cobra .. and started to sell "turnkey minus" packages .. leaving it up to the buyer to install the motor of his choice. Probably would have seen some 327 and 409 powered cobras at that time. Today not everybody who buys a cobra body is necessarily trying to replicate a 65 vintage car.

I personally don't like chevy motors in anything but a chevy. Was at an antique car auction and was looking at a spectacular restoration of a 1939 Packard. Two tone paint, white wall tires, original .. restored dash, steering wheel, upholstery. Opened the hood and low and behold an Edelbrock intake and 350 Chevy. Ouch .. totally ruined the car in my opinion.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd View Post
Was at an antique car auction and was looking at a spectacular restoration of a 1939 Packard. Two tone paint, white wall tires, original .. restored dash, steering wheel, upholstery. Opened the hood and low and behold an Edelbrock intake and 350 Chevy. Ouch .. totally ruined the car in my opinion.
I have less angst about a Chevy in a Packard than I do about a Chevy in a Cobra - primarily because it's been a long time since Packard (or Studebaker) produced an engine. Ford, OTOH, is still kicking around and doing quite well, by most accounts.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
Maybe you should expand your horizons and get out more....Sounds like a rant from a guy who's had his ass kicked by more than one GM product.
I don't know about that, but you sound like a typical chebby nut hugger.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfingrs View Post
The funny thing about all this is the fact if you visit any of the LS forums, guys are yanking their Ford engines out of their Mustangs and putting in LS engines like it is nothing. A couple of companies even make kits for it these days it has become so popular.

I guess when you can buy a junkyard 5.3 liter, throw in some injectors, fuel pump, cam and turbos and get 800 RWHP, you know somebody designed something worthwhile.
Hotfingrs and Thor maine like this.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:19 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Gee, I'll have to inform my little Boss 302 with it's 5.0 that it can't do what its doing by running with C5's and C6's all day long at the track.

I'll will be very disappointed.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Heck, I don't really hate gm cars that much as all cars are pretty much made from the same stuff, its just the chebby guys with their huge egos, and big mouths that make me want no part of anything gm.[/quote]

Your energy would be better spent building a Ford that could spank most Chevy's then you could join the ranks of the huge egos. Chevy guys are by no means any different than Ford or Mopar guys. Install any other engine other than what the original Cobra's came with mention it here and see what response you get.
Thor maine likes this.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Gee, I'll have to inform my little Boss 302 with it's 5.0 that it can't do what its doing by running with C5's and C6's all day long at the track.

I'll will be very disappointed.

Lots of variables in that comment. Drivers are probably a bigger issue than cars.

My buddy races Porsche's and beats Corvettes all the time. He routinely tells me most people driving a Corvette are lucky to figure out how to back out of their driveway nevermind drive competently in a race. Oh..his Porsche is about 1/3 the horsepower of a standard Corvette.
Hotfingrs likes this.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: EM cobra, 450 inch sbc running a best ET of 9.14..so far..ALL MOTOR...approx 800 horse.............ERA with 482 FE..All Aluminum Engine
Send a message via Yahoo to Hotfingrs
Not Ranked     

It's all the gold chains slowing the Vette drivers down......
joyridin' likes this.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

It's interesting how easily people are divided and manipulated, and fall prey to corporate marketing schemes. For someone to actually identify himself as a "Ford guy" or a "Chevy guy" and actually argue about and defend these brands as if there really is some material difference in righteousness between the two is not only hilarious, but it illustrates how the corporate marketers have the consumers dancing to their tunes instead of the other way around.

Why the hell does anyone care so much about what engine another person chooses to cram into their own custom built hobby car? I can see the point of arguing that someone is ruining the pedigree of an original vintage Cobra, but in anything else, it just doesn't matter.

I was very lucky to find a Unique Motorcars Cobra down here on this tiny Caribbean island. It was built with a Chevy engine as presumably that's what the original owner preferred. If I had built it from scratch, I would've used a Ford FE powerplant as a nod to building it the "way it was". At one time I seriously considered making the swap, but then I asked myself what's the point. The car runs like the blazes as is, the motor has been bulletproof, and I could think of no compelling enough reason(s) for me to go through the hassle.

The truth is, I love the looks, shape, character and performance of the Cobra. The history is interesting, but I'm not drawn to it because it's a Ford (well,sort of) that beat Chevy's and Ferrari's, etc. If it had been originally produced by AMC or Studebaker, I'd still love it today.

In the spirit of the original formula, if I were to build a new Cobra today I would do exactly what Shelby did - I would look for the most suitable chassis and pair it with the most suitable powertrain for my needs. I'd stick with fiberglass because I don't want to stress and obsess about people getting too close to my fragile coachwork. I'd have the best of modern suspension, chassis design and brakes that could fit without compromising the beautiful shape and proportions. For an engine it would be between a supercharged Coyote and a supercharged LS. Comparing the two options for example as sold by Edelbrock as crate engines, the Chevy would win hands down. Same price range, more displacement, power and torque in a much more compact package.

So, for me, my perfect Cobra built today would have Chevy power. Not because I'm a Chevy guy, but because I think it's the better option to suit my needs. Shelby didn't give a rat's arse about Ford vs. Chevy back in the day. He did what he had to do and would just as easily have used GM or Dodge or AMC (or whatever) engines if it had suited his objectives to do so.

Stop being a cheerleader for conniving marketing psychologists and feeling invalidated and threatened by different choices that other people make. Just because someone decides to buy a Vette doesn't automatically mean your Mustang sucks. Spend your money, build your Cobra the way you want and quit giving such a big painful shyt about what other people do with theirs.

IT ONLY MATTERS WITH ORIGINALS. ALL (AND I MEAN ALL) OTHERS ARE CUSTOM CARS BUILT TO THE OWNERS' INDIVIDUAL TASTES.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Amen Brother.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Internet troll: An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doing a bit of trolling yourself today, Brent?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nah, just stating the obvious.

There are what I would call "unwritten rules" for Club Cobra posts. These rules involve topics that are initiated to get a rise out of someone.....big block vs. small block.....Ford vs. Chevy....real vs. fake, etc, etc.

This whole thread was started by someone who wished to invoke a rise out of other Club Cobra members. Then it was restarted several months later for no other obvious reason than to brag about putting a Chevy in a Cobra....and to invoke another rise.

And here we are, again, giving witness to a bunch of guys yelling back and forth at each about how far they can pee. It's aggravating.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I'm more concerned with the fact that 7 out of 8 cars at any intersection/traffic lite are foreign--and none of them are chevy or ford powered----------at least in the pick ups and vans with ladder racks and work boxes those percentages change to ford, chev and dodge-----------

Oh, and when peeing keep the wind at your back!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree about the provoking and pissing contests, but there could be some interesting discourse on these hot topics if folks could discuss them without all of the emotion and so much of a personal stake in the issues.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Agreed......
Old 04-21-2015, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
I'm more concerned with the fact that 7 out of 8 cars at any intersection/traffic lite are foreign--and none of them are chevy or ford powered----------at least in the pick ups and vans with ladder racks and work boxes those percentages change to ford, chev and dodge-----------

Oh, and when peeing keep the wind at your back!!!
I had a 1978 Pontiac Sunbird. At 72k miles, a piston let loose and it lost compression in one cylinder.

I also had a 1977 Toyota Celica with remnants of a body, but a good running engine at 145k.

The Toyota engine went in the Sunbird. Probably the best running Sunbird ever made. I drove it for at least another 60k and sold it.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Have you ever seen the Miata with the ford 5.0 in it, now that's a cool car, and it will kick the **** out of Evans, REPLICA SHELBY...