21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2015, 06:16 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
Still no info from either Chebbie sale.

Guess we wont be getting it either.
We need to get RodKnock involved. No one is better at quickly fudging numbers than RodKnock.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Thor on your sale. You sure stirred the pot not surprised at the responses we non purists walk a thin line here. It's a shame really considering so many of us built and own KIT cars. It also amazes me why is it so important to know what the profit margin might be when so wrapped up in the cars non original engine. Could it be for the possible continued borderline bantering maybe.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quite to the contrary the "Ford guys" were being quite gracious in the beginning with congrats given to Thor's sale. Even after a little poking at them with his opening post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
... And don't let the "Ford Only In A Cobra crowd" effect your choice of engine you want in your version of a Cobra! The classic line they use is that you will destroy the resale value if you put anything but a Ford in it. I advertised in a local buy/swap weekly called Uncle Henrys and in just one day started a bidding war and I ended up selling it for $9k more than I was asking. They all loved the drivetrain and wanted to pay extra for it. Long live the Bow Tie in the COBRA.
But the congrats received was not what Thor was trolling for, being the heretic that he is (God love him), he felt compelled to poke the bear again ...

Quote:
The "FORD ONLY in a Cobra" crowd is being awful quiet???? Faced with true evidence that having a Chevy in a Cobra replica does not devalue it, on the contrary to the car guy, the HotRod guy, to the guy who want the highest performance, the Chevy is a bonus.
Ok, if Thor wishes to go down this path (and I'm sure it was 100% premeditated), then the "Ford guys" have every right to flip this little cow pie over and see what's really under it. REAL 1 was up to the task (is he ever not ), and called Thor out on his claim. Well, Thor probably didn't anticipate a "cut to the chase" question which was right on point without the drama Thor was looking for. Thor probably thought "oops, now what do I do?" We now see Thor's solution, to not answer the question, does not bode well for Thor's original claim ... choice of engine does not affect the resale value.

More idle chit-chat posted on the thread, some calling for Thor to "answer the question". Apparently, Thor feeling cornered, pulled out his best "bait and switch" replies - some interesting car history and a Charlie Brown rerun. But like a good mailman*, REAL 1 asked the question again. (*Will not let snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stay the completion of his appointed rounds.) All is well, the thread is going down the path I would expect, until I came across your post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdross1 View Post
Congratulations Thor on your sale. You sure stirred the pot not surprised at the responses we non purists walk a thin line here. It's a shame really considering so many of us built and own KIT cars. It also amazes me why is it so important to know what the profit margin might be when so wrapped up in the cars non original engine. Could it be for the possible continued borderline bantering maybe.
Three things come to mind, 1) you must be a chevy guy, and/or 2) you want to refuel the fire as interest may be waning and you want some drama, and/or 3) you're just not the sharpest knife in the drawer as this thread has been easy to follow up to this point with no "brain teasers" to solve.

Whatever the case may be, the ball is still in Thor's court to answer the question, and if he wants to let it die fine by me. Ok, back to regular scheduled programming ... or change the channel.
FuzzyDiceRide and Al G like this.

Last edited by AL427SBF; 01-08-2015 at 08:22 AM..
Old 01-08-2015, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Nissan
Not Ranked     
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Quite to the contrary the "Ford guys" were being quite gracious in the beginning with congrats given to Thor's sale. Even after a little poking at them with his opening post ...

But the congrats received was not what Thor was trolling for, being the heretic that he is (God love him), he felt compelled to poke the bear again ...

Ok, if Thor wishes to go down this path (and I'm sure it was 100% premeditated), then the "Ford guys" have every right to flip this little cow pie over and see what's really under it. REAL 1 was up to the task (is he ever not ), and called Thor out on his claim. Well, Thor probably didn't anticipate a "cut to the chase" question which was right on point without the drama Thor was looking for. Thor probably thought "oops, now what do I do?" We now see Thor's solution, to not answer the question, does not bode well for Thor's original claim ... choice of engine does not affect the resale value.

More idle chit-chat posted on the thread, some calling for Thor to "answer the question". Apparently, Thor feeling cornered, pulled out his best "bait and switch" replies - some interesting car history and a Charlie Brown rerun. But like a good mailman*, REAL 1 asked the question again. (*Will not let snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stay the completion of his appointed rounds.) All is well, the thread is going down the path I would expect, until I came across your post ...

Three things come to mind, 1) you must be a chevy guy, and/or 2) you want to refuel the fire as interest may be waning and you want some drama, and/or 3) you're just not the sharpest knife in the drawer as this thread has been easy to follow up to this point with no "brain teasers" to solve.

Whatever the case may be, the ball is still in Thor's court to answer the question, and if he wants to let it die fine by me. Ok, back to regular scheduled programming ... or change the channel.
are you auditioning for a moderator job?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:30 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
are you auditioning for a moderator job?
See that? I told you all! NYG isn't real. He's one of 'us' cleverly disguised as a sneaker collecting, Leaf driving swizzle stick. Only a moderator would say that. I still stay it's Jamo

And a tag line that quotes one of the worst movies of all time [Scarface].
Pure genius.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

On Feb. 5th, 2014 a replica with a BB Chevy sold for over $73K at RM Auctions. The roller was manufactured by Everett-Morrison w/C4 Vette suspension. In this case I'd say the engine added significant value. An FE 427SO isn't going to get $73K in that chassis. An FE would put it in the replica market and there are much better replicas at that price.
Thor maine likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Ok , for what it is worth, in 1980 I paid Contemporary Classic Motor Car Co. of 5-7 Tecumseh ave Mt Vernon N.Y $11695 for the body/frame and other misc parts ,of that $989 for "back ordered"parts never received. (Still waiting Peter) No shipping I picked it up at the factory. Next $2694 to British Auto Wreckers 2938 S.W. Avalon Way Seattle Wa. for Jaguar XKE suspension front and rear, pedal assembly , steering column ,master cylinders, 2- 1967 e type seats, misc other parts, and a MGB convertible top assembly( I hoped to modify it to fit, it did not) plus $300 shipping . Next $1900 plus $200 shipping to Performance Automotive Wholesale Unit 129 19441 Center Drive Northridge Ca. for their "427 Chevy SUPER SPECIAL" package. Plus $400 to a local machine shop in Saco Maine for special work to the heads. Next Summit racing $300 for Holley 750 dbl pumper carb and Edelbrock intake and $980 for BFG tire and "HurricaneII " wheel package Free shipping. Next Hews Company of Westbrook Maine $131 drive shaft no shipping I picked it up. Next West Street Auto Salvage in Biddeford Maine $525 Muncie 4 speed, bellhousing and factory iron flywheel, no shipping I picked it up. Next Northeast Performance Kittery Maine $545 Hurst shifter and Auto Rod Control wiring harness. That's just the big stuff I still have receipts for Plus $thousands in misc parts and rebuild kits, plus a couple of thousand to Beals Autobody in Kennebunk Maine for work that was never completed(Beals went out of business). Plus $ 1200 in legal fees for the probate mess PLUS The price of Beating the crap out the two brothers who thought they should own my car,,,PRICELESS!!!! I sold the car for just under what Jeff CCX1985 said in post #16 , so from October 1980 to January2015 did I lose money or make money?? I don't know. But what I do know is that the sale price of my car would be competitive with a similar package with a comparable motor in FORD. There is a market for Cobra replicas with Chevy Engines and if you are a Chevy guy, a HotRod Guy, A Durability guy, Highest performance guy, put a Chevy in and don't let the FORD ONLY IN A COBRA crowd sway you from your choice.

Last edited by Thor maine; 01-08-2015 at 02:31 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 02:20 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
On Feb. 5th, 2014 a replica with a BB Chevy sold for over $73K at RM Auctions. The roller was manufactured by Everett-Morrison w/C4 Vette suspension. In this case I'd say the engine added significant value. An FE 427SO isn't going to get $73K in that chassis. An FE would put it in the replica market and there are much better replicas at that price.
Post the link to that one! Wow! If accurate there really is one born every minute.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:24 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ok , for what it is worth, in 1980 I paid Contemporary Classic Motor Car Co. of 5-7 Tecumseh ave Mt Vernon N.Y $11695 for the body/frame and other misc parts ,of that $989 for "back ordered"parts never received. (Still waiting Peter) No shipping I pick it up at the factory. Next $2694 to British Auto Wreckers 2938 S.W. Avalon Way Seattle Wa. for Jaguar XKE suspension front and rear, pedal assembly , steering column ,master cylinders, 2- 1967 e type seats, misc other parts, and a MGB convertible top assembly( I hoped to modify it to fit, it did not) plus $300 shipping . Next $1900 plus $200 shipping to Performance Automotive Wholesale Unit 129 19441 Center Drive Northridge Ca. for their "427 Chevy SUPER SPECIAL" package. Plus $400 to a local machine shop in Saco Maine for special work to the heads. Next Summit racing $300 for Holley 750 dbl pumper carb and Edelbrock intake and $980 for BFG tire and "HurricaneII " wheel package Free shipping. Next Hews Company of Westbrook Maine $131 drive shaft no shipping I pick it up. Next West Street Auto Salvage in Biddeford Maine $525 Muncie 4 speed, bellhousing and factory iron flywheel, no shipping I pick it up. Next Northeast Performance Kittery Maine $545 Hurst shifter and Auto Rod Control wiring harness. That's just the big stuff I still have receipts for Plus $thousands in misc parts and rebuild kits, plus a couple of thousand to Beals Autobody in Kennebunk Maine for work that was never completed(Beals went out of business). Plus $ 1200 in legal fees for the probate mess PLUS The price of Beating the crap out the two brothers who thought they should own my car,,,PRICELESS!!!! I sold the car for just under what Jeff CCX1985 said in post #16 , so from October 1980 to January2015 did I lose money or make money?? I don't know. But what I do know is that the sale price of my car would be competitive with a similar package with a comparable motor in FORD. There is a market for Cobra replicas with Chevy Engines and if you are a Chevy guy, a HotRod Guy, A Durability guy, Highest performance guy, put a Chevy in and don't let the FORD ONLY IN A COBRA crowd sway you from your choice.
Time and labor to complete?
Final Sale #?
We will adjust for inflation. Not to worry.
Old 01-08-2015, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Post the link to that one! Wow! If accurate there really is one born every minute.
It's not accurate; the Euro/USD exchange rate at the time would make it $84K+... I stand corrected.

2005 Weineck Cobra 780 CUI Limited Edition | Paris 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

Although, it may have been the dual roll bars that garnered the exorbitant price.

Last edited by scottj; 01-08-2015 at 02:46 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Real 1 are you a Certified Public Accountant? More important do you have a hat the say's "LION TAMER"??? Do you think Lions are short little animals with bushy tails and long ,long noses and they like to eat ants???? Just asking??? ( Reference YouTube- Monty Python "Lion Tamer)
Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
See that? I told you all! NYG isn't real. He's one of 'us' cleverly disguised as a sneaker collecting, Leaf driving swizzle stick. Only a moderator would say that. I still stay it's Jamo

And a tag line that quotes one of the worst movies of all time [Scarface].
Pure genius.
You might be on to something...

I'm mightily impressed with how thick his skin is...
Poor bugger takes a beating almost every time he posts.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Real 1 are you a Certified Public Accountant? More important do you have a hat the say's "LION TAMER"??? Do you think Lions are short little animals with bushy tails and long ,long noses and they like to eat ants???? Just asking??? ( Reference YouTube- Monty Python "Lion Tamer)
No, however I was a Newt once but I got better. (Reference Monty Python and the Holy Grail).

My partner is a CPA too. We can do the numbers. Post 'em up. Not to worry.
Thor maine likes this.

Last edited by REAL 1; 01-08-2015 at 03:38 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
It's not accurate; the Euro/USD exchange rate at the time would make it $84K+... I stand corrected.

2005 Weineck Cobra 780 CUI Limited Edition | Paris 2014 | RM AUCTIONS

Although, it may have been the dual roll bars that garnered the exorbitant price.
It was likely the liquor that garnered the exorbitant price for that monstrosity. Ugh. Clearly not your average Chebbie modder though. Clearly he overpaid by a just a wee tad IMHO.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
It was likely the liquor that garnered the exorbitant price for that monstrosity. Ugh. Clearly not your average Chebbie modder though. Clearly he overpaid by a just a wee tad IMHO.
Overpaid? Come on, those cars were $743,000 new.

As far as the HP, let's just say I'm skeptical. They also claim a curb weight of under 2200 lbs... that's a lie. If they used the same "correction factor" for the HP as the weight, it would actually have about 750 HP.

Last edited by scottj; 01-08-2015 at 04:22 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Clearly he overpaid by a just a wee tad IMHO.
Have others perhaps said this you in the past...?

By the way, CPA?! I'd have sworn you were a sermon...
PLDRIVE likes this.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
... so from October 1980 to January2015 did I lose money or make money?? I don't know ...
Run the numbers, it doesn't take a CPA to correct for inflation.

$11695
$2694
$300
$1900
$200
$400
$300
$980
$131
$525
$545
$3000 (misc parts & rebuild kits, you said "thousands" spent)
$2000 (Beals Autobody)
$1200 (legal fees)

Total in 1980 dollars = $25,870, let's say $25,000 to make it simple.
I sold the car for just under what Jeff CCX1985 said in post #16
Post #16: if you sold you car for 9k more than we discussed you net upwards of $25k

So that means a $25K profit (or you sold for $50,000)? I don't think so but Jeff did say net upwards of so I'll run with it.

$25,000 in 1980 = $75,961.21 in 2014
Annual Inflation: 3.32%
Total Inflation: 203.84%
Calculate the value of $25000 in 1980 - Inflation on 25000 dollars - DollarTimes.com

This means you took an "inflation corrected" $25,961.21 loss if you sold your chevy powered cobra for $50,000. Of course only you and your hairdresser know for sure what it sold for, but it's pretty clear inflation will eat you alive over time.
Old 01-08-2015, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL427SBF View Post
Run the numbers, it doesn't take a CPA to correct for inflation.

$11695
$2694
etc,
etc,
etc...

You're complicating it...
He got rid of a chevy turd and someone paid him $9k more than he ever thought possible.

Last edited by Dimis; 01-08-2015 at 05:51 PM..
Old 01-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Tom

What is a comparable Ford motor? 427FE? 390FE?

Can you still bench 225? I remember it crushing you like Thor's hammer on Lokee's chest......

Congrats on the sale. I am done with this thread.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Allied, 428 Ford
Not Ranked     

Somehow, I think you would have a different opinion if you saw a '63 Split Window Vette with a Roush motor in it.