Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think when the Lay person thinks "KitCar", they envision a fiberglass body and a few parts bolted to a donor chassis.
Often, when asked if it was a Kit and I responded "yes", I'd then be asked if it was a Mustang Chassis.
If possible, I'd open the hood and show them the custom manufactured round-tube chassis. They usually liked learning and seeing it.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech View Post
,,,Then some a$$-clown at the counter says "Yeah, but it's just a Kit Car" in a condescending tone. I said "Excuse me, it's a Factory Five, I built it. It has a custom designed chassis and suspension. It's not a Kit". (I could already feel this wasn't going to go well with THIS guy).
He said (again in a demeaning manner "Well, does it have a CSX number?"
I was done and left,,,
It sucks when someone with obvious knowledge on the subject calls it for what it is.

From the FFR website -
"The Factory Five Mk4 base kit is the best selling vintage replica in history. The kit comes with all of the parts you need to build your car except for running gear from a 1987-1993 Ford Mustang donor car. You can also use parts from 1995-2004 Ford Mustangs."

"The Mk4 Complete kit gives you everything you need to build your car, in one big package. The only things you’ll need are the engine/transmission/rear end, wheels/tires, and a paint job. When we say everything, we mean it. We include things like hood hinges and a complete custom chassis wiring harness. We also make it easy for you to use the engine of your choice with a variety of available headers and engine/transmission mount assemblies.
Here’s a list of what comes standard in the Mk4 Complete Kit."

Call it whatever you like, but when the manufacturer labels their product as a "kit" then no amount of parsing of words and spinning semantics will change the fact that what you have came from a kit.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:35 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Wow, I can not believe this thread is going around...AGAIN!!

"Is it real?"

"No, you are on drugs."

Next

"What kit is it?"

"Trularin."

"I haven't heard of that one."

"It's me."

Next

"Is it a kit?"

"There is nothing kit about this car."

Yeah, there is a wide selection of humor that can enter this.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OMG!

I am reading these replies...

REALLY, Jamo says nothing???????

Sorry Jamo, could not resist.

Tru
Old 08-21-2015, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 289 FIA 347 Stroker
Not Ranked     

It doesn't happen often, but sometimes a smart ass comment is made about it not being real, I look around and mention it's as real as the lips and boobs you see around here.....

It gets a laugh, unless the guys wife is plastic.

Dave from SLC.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 Cobra
Not Ranked     

When asked if it's a kit, lately I have answered, "I wish it was. It would have been a lot easier to build." I feel that there are only a few that have the quality to be called a kit, like ERA and FFR. However, in my opinion it took FFR building thousands before they got it to kit quality.
Jaydee likes this.

"Everything is alive. If you get angry at a vehicle or the trans, it won't fix until you apologize and say you are sorry." "The vehicle always knows what it is doing and what the cause of it's bad feeling is. If you ask it humbly what the problem is, it will tell you. Then you and it will both be happy."

Gil Younger
Old 08-23-2015, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

I chuckle inside when someone says "Hey that's at Kit Car Right?" I respond by saying Na...I don't have the brains or time to to put one of these Beasts together....... This one came from South Africa and a year to get here. They look so confused and then ask how much did that car cost? I tell them I'm not sure it my kids car and way more than I could afford. They scratch their heads and continue asking How Old is Your Kid! You can see the smoke coming out of their ears!! LMAO!!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:36 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I tell them I'm not sure it my kids car and way more than I could afford. They scratch their heads and continue asking How Old is Your Kid! You can see the smoke coming out of their ears!! LMAO!!
An excellent reponse - got to remember this one.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 781, 69' 428CJ, PPG BLACK. ERA 3005 Arctic White 331 SBF
Not Ranked     

Think I'm going to go with, it's a replica of a kit car from the mid 60's. Pretty much covers it all.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech View Post
I think when the Lay person thinks "KitCar", they envision a fiberglass body and a few parts bolted to a donor chassis.
Often, when asked if it was a Kit and I responded "yes", I'd then be asked if it was a Mustang Chassis.
If possible, I'd open the hood and show them the custom manufactured round-tube chassis. They usually liked learning and seeing it.
I'm astounded by the number of people who think there's a Mustang (or other) frame under the car - including some of the people responsible in our jurisdiction for vehicle standards and inspections. Yikes.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great thread!! I got a good laugh out of it.. OK have to get back to my original CSX car with an original Shelby alum motor that the wife bought for me cause I am such a great guy!

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 08-27-2015, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I've noticed that over the last decade less and less people recognize what it is (or what it is a replica of). The older guys are slowly dying off, or becoming house-bound, and most of the younger ones have no idea what it is, just that it looks really cool. By the time my son takes over the keys, I doubt he'll ever hear "is that a kit?" More likely he'll just hear "wow, what is that?"
Regardless of age, half the people in our country (Vermont) don't know what it is. 60's must have been good to them!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Was at a Wounded Warrior show a few weeks ago showing my car and an old guy walked up and started looking my car over clearly thinking about adding me to his list of favorite cars. Another guy walks up grabs his arm and says "Ah you don't wanna be looking at that. That's just a kit car." And dragged him away. They weren't quiet and I was sitting a few feet away behind my car. I kept quiet and let em go.

My car is a kit and I'm not ashamed of it. If it weren't for kits I couldn't have a Cobra. I put a lot of hard work into it and I think it's a great car. The fact that I occasionally get lumped in with the myriad of terrible kit cars throughout history is unavoidable. I'll just have to brush it off.

Actually a couple weeks ago I was at our local Friday car gathering when I see a couple looking my car over intently. After a few minutes they ask if it was mine. They recognized it as a FFR and gave some very nice compliments. As we talked I noticed he had his hat secured to his shirt with an alligator clip lanyard so I asked what roadster he had arrived in? Turns out they drove in in an original green 289 Cobra! Nice folks. Gorgeous car.

Mario
Blue66 and REAL 1 like this.
FFR MKIV #7608 Complete kit w/IRS
Dart 427 w/Pro 1 CNC 210cc heads, 490rwhp/459rwtq
http://www.mycobra.build   #7608 Graduation Thread