Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree268Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only revision I would like to see is "... limit the SAAC registry to cars from the 60's that were actually built then ..."

Figuring out new ways to partition the various "classes" and including them is just another update to what already exists, still makes the registry a fat catch-all Ford/replica car mag.
Nedsel likes this.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
And the SAAC Cobra Registrar, a leading expert in this area, states for the record something else. Dare I go there?

As far as I'm concerned the SAAC Registry is full of human input, which is subject to change over time. The next version of human input may (hopefully) change.
And Ned said what? That the Continuations are replicas? Ok. Continuations are not included with the originals or historic cars. And so?

Further, not that I disagree with what he said but Ned doesn't speak for SAAC here. He is the registrar for the originals. So? As you said

Again, couldn't care less about the replica issue or the kit issue. To me irrelevant to the real issue.

Sigh.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
The only revision I would like to see is "... limit the SAAC registry to cars from the 60's that were actually built then ..."

Figuring out new ways to partition the various "classes" and including them is just another update to what already exists, still makes the registry a fat catch-all Ford/replica car mag.
I'm sure you would like to see that revision. You would refer to it non stop.

Unfortunately for you the Registry says what it clearly says.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Part II
The AC Cobra 427 is a convertible/cabriolet designed by John Tojeiro with 2 doors and a front mounted engine which transmits its power to the rear wheels.

After being paid a fee for the first 100 Aces sold John Tojeiro and AC more or less went their separate ways. Tojeiro continued to manufacture one-off racing specials in a wide variety until well in the 1960s and was even commissioned to build a special racing version of the Ace by AC in 1958, which finished second in its class at the Le Mans race that year. In later years Tojeiro switched to running a plastics business and it wasn't until the 1980s and the Cobra replica and kit-car boom that he really came to regret his naive deal with AC, which dissociated the creator from his creation that became an automotive icon and obscured his rightful place in car history.

Education over.
You need to go back to school there Joe. Tojeiro didn't design the 427 body shape.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
And Ned said what? That the Continuations are replicas? Ok. Continuations are not included with the originals or historic cars. And so?

Further, not that I disagree with what he said but Ned doesn't speak for SAAC here. He is the registrar for the originals. So? As you said

Again, couldn't care less about the replica issue or the kit issue. To me irrelevant to the real issue.

Sigh.
Here's where the term "replica" is relevant to me and maybe others.

If your Shelby Cobra is a replica, which you admit it is, and I think it is, then as a duplicate of an original Shelby Cobra, how could it be a genuine Shelby Cobra?

By definition a "replica" cannot be genuine,, unless it's a genuine replica.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAL 1 View Post
You need to go back to school there Joe. Tojeiro didn't design the 427 body shape.
Yeah, ok flunkee lol.

1966 AC Cobra 427 specifications, information, data, photos 51678

AC Shelby Cobra: the serpent icon - page 2 of 7

... NEXT
Old 09-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
As for watches, anything larger in physical size than a Tag Aqua

is just the owner of such watches making up for his "shortcomings"

Bill S.
Well, isn't that just the cutest little thing. 1,000 feet...that is best described as damp. For those of us with no shortcomings but in need of something that emphasizes impeccable taste and the unquestionable need for big blocks, there is truly only one...the Omega PloProf. Cousteau had a hand in its design back in the day.

Last edited by Jamo; 09-23-2015 at 01:42 PM..
Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
And with this being said, please don't allow this thread to become a Watch Talk Forum either. Watches are superfluous and boring.
Oh bite me...at least as interesting at what else is being talked about here.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Oh bite me...at least as interesting at what else is being talked about here.
Talking about watches is like watching grass turn brown, since there's not enough water due to water rationing.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Part II
The AC Cobra 427 is a convertible/cabriolet designed by John Tojeiro with 2 doors and a front mounted engine which transmits its power to the rear wheels.

After being paid a fee for the first 100 Aces sold John Tojeiro and AC more or less went their separate ways. Tojeiro continued to manufacture one-off racing specials in a wide variety until well in the 1960s and was even commissioned to build a special racing version of the Ace by AC in 1958, which finished second in its class at the Le Mans race that year. In later years Tojeiro switched to running a plastics business and it wasn't until the 1980s and the Cobra replica and kit-car boom that he really came to regret his naive deal with AC, which dissociated the creator from his creation that became an automotive icon and obscured his rightful place in car history.

Education over.

BS. You're trying to make a case, again, that AC made the Cobra and that Shelby had nothing to do with it and that AC would have become a world class auto supplier and race car manufacturer and that we'd be celebrating the AC Ace today without Carroll Shelby. Shelby made the Cobra what it was. AC was a component supplier to Shelby American. Carroll Shelby put the Cobra moniker on the Ace. Shelby made it into a legend.

Could AC have done it? Absolutely, there is no shortage of talent when combined with enough money can't accomplish anything. [The impossible just takes a little longer and costs more money].

But They Didn't!!! Shelby Did!

Without Shelby the AC Ace would have become another Euro sports car with a nominal following (remember the Berkeley?) but noone would have ever considered "replicating" it were it not for Shelby.

Education over.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not true. John Tojeiro left AC after designing the Ace. Alan Turner did some redesigning of the Ace and the Ace 2.6. The Cobra was basically a 2.6 Ace with fender flares for the then new Dunlop 5.5" wheels. Shelby did not design the Cobra but did develop the racing versions. Alan Turner is pretty much responsible for the design of the Cobra.
Larry
Old 09-23-2015, 02:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     
Wink

I prefer the SeaMaster, less ostentatious, shows the owner has good taste

Then again, for vacations in Cancun, I prefer a simple Expedition

Shows I can care less if it gets lost or stolen

Quote:
Well, isn't that just the cutest little thing. 1,000 feet...that is best described as damp. For those of us with no shortcomings but in need of something that emphasizes impeccable taste and the unquestionable need for big blocks, there is truly only one...the Omega PloProf. Cousteau had a hand in its design back in the day.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 09-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Big guy, nice time piece,but if by chance you fall in a lake, you'll drown left wrist first with that thing on.......

David
Old 09-23-2015, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
Big guy, nice time piece,but if by chance you fall in a lake, you'll drown left wrist first with that thing on.......

David
...or swim in circles
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You apparently rely on the internet way too much. The first article is inaccurate and wrong as to Tojeiro and the 427. The second article is a better article historically and does not say what you want it to say.

Calling others names doesn't help your cause.

Cheers
Old 09-23-2015, 03:56 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
BS. You're trying to make a case, again, that AC made the Cobra and that Shelby had nothing to do with it and that AC would have become a world class auto supplier and race car manufacturer and that we'd be celebrating the AC Ace today without Carroll Shelby. Shelby made the Cobra what it was. AC was a component supplier to Shelby American. Carroll Shelby put the Cobra moniker on the Ace. Shelby made it into a legend.

Could AC have done it? Absolutely, there is no shortage of talent when combined with enough money can't accomplish anything. [The impossible just takes a little longer and costs more money].

But They Didn't!!! Shelby Did!

Without Shelby the AC Ace would have become another Euro sports car with a nominal following (remember the Berkeley?) but noone would have ever considered "replicating" it were it not for Shelby.

Education over.
Tony: Don't bother. He's always right and he'll just start calling you names.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Not true. John Tojeiro left AC after designing the Ace. Alan Turner did some redesigning of the Ace and the Ace 2.6. The Cobra was basically a 2.6 Ace with fender flares for the then new Dunlop 5.5" wheels. Shelby did not design the Cobra but did develop the racing versions. Alan Turner is pretty much responsible for the design of the Cobra.
Larry
Larry. Good post. Bingo.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Neat watch. I have an Omega Sea Master. Big by my standards but very nice.

Also, just had some creamed herring for break the fast. It was good.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You guys got it all wrong... THIS is THE watch:

Larry
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked