Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2016, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

Sierra Club well known here in the Pacific NW. Tree huggers driving Priuses in the left lane going 50mph on the freeway.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Write your Congressman also (I just did). Although as a regulation this wouldn't normally go through a House/Senate vote they can bring a lot of pressure on EPA.

Fortunately we have a Freshman Senator here is Arkansas that loves nothing better than throwing road blocks in front of stupid, progressive Government actions. I think he was the sole Senate vote against the plan last year to allow the House/Senate to vote on the Iran deal (a simple majority vote). Everyone criticized him and questioned how he could be against Congress voting on Obama's agreement. His comment - it's a treaty - should be voted on as a treaty. And we all know how that all turned out.
Pete Munroe likes this.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
I'm glad people spend tax dollars to go after insignificant hobbyists. I suppose we are just an easy target? Signed
Let me tell you why they do that. I live in northern Ohio and we have to have our cars emissions checked. Our state capital, Columbus, which is now bigger than Cleveland does not.

See, here is how it works. The EPA is required to keep the air, water, etc clean. There really isn't a defined way they have to do it, they just have to do it. So our state decides to exempt the largest polluters from emissions. Now, the air is still dirty, so the EPA has to keep moving down the totem pole to get the air clean. Next thing you know, they are attacking your BBQ grill in the back yard while the smokestack from the steel processing plant a mile away blankets your house with soot is still exempt.

Ohio is ranked #1 in toxic air pollution from coal fired power plants. I have to have my car checked for emissions because our state representatives get huge campaign donations from the utilities. The state says my 2010 car pollutes too much. But the coal plant? Not so much.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Tell me about it We have beautiful lakes that have gone dead from acid rain coming this way from Ohio coal fired plants
joyridin' likes this.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It is the same out here in California. We have a fiberglass plant here that no one wanted and voted against it. They went to our crooked politicians and paid them and they made the county let them put it in, also free of any taxes for two years. It puts out more pollution every year than all of the cars in half of the state put together and people get sick that live close to it. They tried to sue to make them fix the filters and the Govts. answer was for them to move away and then they sold them, the right last year to increase the amount of crap they can dump into the sir by 5 times. Cleaning up the air in this state has nothing to do with the EPA or any other outfit. It is all about how much money they will pay our politicians to let them keep on dumping more into the air.

Ron
joyridin' likes this.

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-13-2016, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Let me tell you why they do that. I live in northern Ohio and we have to have our cars emissions checked. Our state capital, Columbus, which is now bigger than Cleveland does not.

See, here is how it works. The EPA is required to keep the air, water, etc clean. There really isn't a defined way they have to do it, they just have to do it. So our state decides to exempt the largest polluters from emissions. Now, the air is still dirty, so the EPA has to keep moving down the totem pole to get the air clean. Next thing you know, they are attacking your BBQ grill in the back yard while the smokestack from the steel processing plant a mile away blankets your house with soot is still exempt.

Ohio is ranked #1 in toxic air pollution from coal fired power plants. I have to have my car checked for emissions because our state representatives get huge campaign donations from the utilities. The state says my 2010 car pollutes too much. But the coal plant? Not so much.
Oh yes, I'm well aware. I worked for a Foundry in Los Angeles. ever hear of SB100 ? . If that state doesn't have messed up priorities, I don't know who's does...
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

This is ridiculous.......politicians creating jobs. This would destroy people like Summit, and every job related to the aftermarket.This is like a traitor undermining our lives......
Old 02-13-2016, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Be it known that the only way this crap happens is because the people who dreamed it up were appointed by the people who were elected. That would be the same crowd that has deemed coal to be an inappropriate fuel and will eliminate an entire industry in the next 10 years. This can be fixed in November.
Ron61 and Pete Munroe like this.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Judge Scalia passed away today. About the worst thing I can think of happening this year, at least up until the election. If the EPA final rule ends up in the courts now - could be a bad outcome for our hobby.
Ron61 and Pete Munroe like this.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: lae/b&b
Not Ranked     

With this administration no one should be surprised & with Judge Scalia passing Katie bar the door. I agree it could be a bad outcome for our hobby and for those of us who loves our guns, better hold on to them tight.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes, we (America) lost a great one with his passing. It could be bad for our hobby for sure!
Larry
Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHANMADD View Post
This is ridiculous.......politicians creating jobs. This would destroy people like Summit, and every job related to the aftermarket.This is like a traitor undermining our lives......
How so? I visit another web site and these guys are modifying their street engines like there is no tomorrow. Technically, it is illegal to tamper with any emissions equipment, but they have no problem doing it on street driven vehicles. And these are new cars. Not old stuff.

This law potentially states you cannot take a street car and remove the emissions to turn it into a race car. Do you REALLY think all the engines, intakes, cams, heads, etc are all going on race cars converted from street cars? My car is titled as a 2000 model and it is 100% exempt from emissions.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Be it known that the only way this crap happens is because the people who dreamed it up were appointed by the people who were elected. That would be the same crowd that has deemed coal to be an inappropriate fuel and will eliminate an entire industry in the next 10 years. This can be fixed in November.
What you are hearing is the ramifications of cheap clean natural gas taking over the coal industry. Logistically speaking, getting coal from the ground to the power plant is a huge undertaking. Compare that to NG where you pop a hole in the ground, hook the gas line up to the main, and it is ready to go. Add to that Europe was a huge buyer of US coal, but in the last few years, they have stopped buying due to the air quality issues. What you are hearing about has more to do with the coal industry asking for massive handouts from the government to prop up their industry so market forces don't put them out of business. Coal production has dropped in the last 7 years, but that is more related to natural gas production being up. We are still putting out more coal that we did 20 years ago.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Joyridin,

I am not trying to start anything just asking a question, so please don't a bunch jump in with opinions. How do you get a 2000 car that you don't have to have pass emissions? Out here we have to have them checked every other year if they are 1975 or newer and any changes they will fail even if they meet the tailpipe requirements. On the other hand, the cars that are changed over for racing can't be registered or driven on the street. A chrome aftermarket air cleaner can cause you to be failed it the referee is in a bad mood.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-14-2016, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Anyone who thinks these new regulations won't effect a hobby like ours because they don't race their cars should read this article:
EPA's Real Target: The Automotive Aftermarket - Motor Trend
Larry
Old 02-14-2016, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII Roadster
Not Ranked     

So...let's get back to the SEMA link and get out there to sign the the opposition letter...

Last edited by JohnnyRay; 02-14-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
How so? I visit another web site and these guys are modifying their street engines like there is no tomorrow. Technically, it is illegal to tamper with any emissions equipment, but they have no problem doing it on street driven vehicles. And these are new cars. Not old stuff.

This law potentially states you cannot take a street car and remove the emissions to turn it into a race car. Do you REALLY think all the engines, intakes, cams, heads, etc are all going on race cars converted from street cars? My car is titled as a 2000 model and it is 100% exempt from emissions.
If they pass what they want ....no one will be modifying any race car engines. You will be racing factory sealed smog legal with cats or you will not get on the track...that's what I read.....
Old 02-14-2016, 08:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Sounds to me like the real benefactors of this would be the Auto manufacturers. By, in effect, outlawing aftermarket engine parts, the manufacturers would have the market on performance cars & be able to raise the prices exponentially of performance based models.
joyridin' likes this.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
What you are hearing is the ramifications of cheap clean natural gas taking over the coal industry. Logistically speaking, getting coal from the ground to the power plant is a huge undertaking. Compare that to NG where you pop a hole in the ground, hook the gas line up to the main, and it is ready to go. Add to that Europe was a huge buyer of US coal, but in the last few years, they have stopped buying due to the air quality issues. What you are hearing about has more to do with the coal industry asking for massive handouts from the government to prop up their industry so market forces don't put them out of business. Coal production has dropped in the last 7 years, but that is more related to natural gas production being up. We are still putting out more coal that we did 20 years ago.
Yep......and this "natural"gas you just stick a pipe in the ground for.......straight destroys the underground water and not to mention how destabilizing it is for the earths surface........that's the part we live on.
.Every where there is fracking......the locals have to move ........or die........lovely....
Politicians at their best.......!!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tree huggers don't think further than the hug.......