Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2016, 09:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

These threads are always a good time....
Old 12-21-2016, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
... But we all know that it's NOT 1960's anymore. With the Shelby Cobra replicas, there's a gap of around 30 years between production and the cars NOT made in the 1960's are "kit cars," "component cars" or "specially constructed vehicles."

We've really beaten this dead horse a 1,000,000 times already. Let's move on.

but its your hobby to copy and paste the same phrases always,

this phrase:

But we all know that it's NOT 1960's anymore. With the Shelby Cobra replicas, there's a gap of around 30 years between production and the cars NOT made in the 1960's are "kit cars," "component cars" or "specially constructed vehicles.

isn't controversial at all, but you repeat it again and again
BigGuy and cdnus like this.

Last edited by peterpjb; 12-21-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
but its your hobby to copy and paste the same phrases again and again,

this phrase:

But we all know that it's NOT 1960's anymore. With the Shelby Cobra replicas, there's a gap of around 30 years between production and the cars NOT made in the 1960's are "kit cars," "component cars" or "specially constructed vehicles.

isnt't controversial at all, but you repeat it again and again
I'll repeat THIS again..."We've really beaten this dead horse a 1,000,000 times already. Let's move on."
Old 12-21-2016, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5USMC View Post
These threads are always a good time....
Hey it is WINTER !!! This will keep us goin !

Now ... The dogs car
Mercedes E63S station wagon. 603hp
Old 12-24-2016, 10:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Continuation Cars And The Market
Bartruff1 likes this.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Very well stated....
Old 12-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, peterpjb, you're repeating yourself.

I hope you're not pinning all your hopes and dreams on the author from this Internet article. If you click on Andy Reid's link at the bottom, there's this article:

https://news.classiccars.com/author/andy-reid/

And he writes: "The CSX 4000-series cars were built by Shelby on 427 Cobra frames reputedly left over from the original 1960s production run. Whether or not this car sits on an actual leftover frame, it definitely represents an amazing value when compared with period-built Cobras, which nowadays change hands north of a million dollars."

This was posted on 12/21/2016. Did the guy do even a little research? Oy vey. I think Andy Reid should stick to coaching the Kansas City Chiefs.

In CA, Shelby, Kirkham, Backdraft, ERA, Superformance, etc. are all legally called kit cars (no engine and trans, right?) or specially constructed vehicles and are only legal on our roads here with an exemption.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

The original Shelby Cobras were "kit cars" too.
BigGuy and peterpjb like this.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antny View Post
The original Shelby Cobras were "kit cars" too.
No, that's wrong. At least by CA law.

The 1960's Cobras were sold as completed cars from dealers lots with engines, transmissions, clutches, headers already installed, etc., passed emissions and with warranties. Just like any other new Ford, Chevy or Chrysler, even today, license and registration were handled by the dealership and the new owner received their license plates and registration in the mail. No special legal exemptions necessary to have a 1960's Cobra comply with current (of the day) motor vehicle law.

I'd post some more articles by people who have not a clue about Carroll Shelby and the Shelby Cobra's history.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

Quote:
In CA, Shelby, Kirkham, Backdraft, ERA, Superformance, etc. are all legally called kit cars (no engine and trans, right?) or specially constructed vehicles and are only legal on our roads here with an exemption.
CA law rules..
Old 12-28-2016, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

The 1960's Cobras were sold as completed cars from dealers lots with engines, transmissions, clutches, headers already installed, etc., passed emissions and with warranties. Just like any other new Ford, Chevy or Chrysler, even today, license and registration were handled by the dealership and the new owner received their license plates and registration in the mail. No special legal exemptions necessary to have a 1960's Cobra comply with current (of the day) motor vehicle law.

I'd post some more articles by people who have not a clue about Carroll Shelby and the Shelby Cobra's history.
What I mean is: I believe that Shelby received the rollers from AC, and added the drivetrains in his shop here in the USA, no? Just like, say a Superformance today.
BigGuy likes this.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
What I mean is: I believe that Shelby received the rollers from AC, and added the drivetrains in his shop here in the USA, no? Just like, say a Superformance today.
You do understand the difference right?

Today the buyer buys an incomplete car from Shelby or SPF. The buyer completes the car. In the 1960's, they weren't sold as kits (component, same thing). They were sold as legal driveable cars right from the dealer's lot with engine, trans, clutch and an alignment already done. You got a warranty and the car registration was handled by the selling dealer.

I had to register my Kirkham. I had to go to the CHP and BAR. I had to hire a shop to do the install and sorting. My Kirkham requires a special exemption so that my Cobra passes an emissions test, which I would otherwise miserably fail. My Kirkham did not meet modern federal safety standards at time of sale.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
CA law rules..
Pick a different state. How about New York or New Jersey? Do those states work better for you?

I'd find more internet articles where the author doesn't have his or her head up their rear ends.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:

I'd find more internet articles where the author doesn't have his or her head up their rear ends.
Is that rear end a Ford 8.8" or 9", Jaguar, BMW, or something else?
Old 12-28-2016, 01:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
Is that rear end a Ford 8.8" or 9", Jaguar, BMW, or something else?
Salisbury if your kit car (or rear end) is "proper."
Old 12-28-2016, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
You do understand the difference right?

Today the buyer buys an incomplete car from Shelby or SPF. The buyer completes the car. In the 1960's, they weren't sold as kits (component, same thing). They were sold as legal driveable cars right from the dealer's lot with engine, trans, clutch and an alignment already done. You got a warranty and the car registration was handled by the selling dealer.

I had to register my Kirkham. I had to go to the CHP and BAR. I had to hire a shop to do the install and sorting. My Kirkham requires a special exemption so that my Cobra passes an emissions test, which I would otherwise miserably fail. My Kirkham did not meet modern federal safety standards at time of sale.
Yeah, I understand the difference. But I'm simply talking about how these cars came to be. Shelby bought rollers and stuffed engines into them. Much the way most of our cars came to be. So in a sense, all of these cars, including the originals, are "kit" cars...or whatever term makes us sleep better at night. :-)
Old 12-28-2016, 02:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yeah, I understand the difference. But I'm simply talking about how these cars came to be. Shelby bought rollers and stuffed engines into them. Much the way most of our cars came to be. So in a sense, all of these cars, including the originals, are "kit" cars...or whatever term makes us sleep better at night. :-)
Pre-sale manufacturing process, performed by the OEM and its subcontractor(s), versus a post-sale manufacturing process, performed by the buyer and/or the independent shop that they hire to install the tranny, engine, clutch, exhaust, alignment, etc.

In fact, the early 4000 series could have been purchased in a much more incomplete form, where the buyer could actually do most of the assembly process. I looked at Bernica's CSX4250 before buying my Kirkham and I actually still have pictures of the original owner assembling the car from nearly the ground-up like an ERA, if you want to build your ERA and not have them do the work.

But you guys can see it differently than I and never will the two (opinions) meet.

All I'm hoping here is that Internet articles that get posted here on Club Cobra actually know the history of subject matter that it purports to know and write about. And not pass along BS stories like Shelby CSX4000's use original frames.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
All I'm hoping here is that Internet articles that get posted here on Club Cobra actually know the history of subject matter that it purports to know and write about. And not pass along BS stories like Shelby CSX4000's use original frames.
but no one else than you posted the internet article with the original frame bs story
Old 12-28-2016, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2660, FE-406
Not Ranked     

Groundhog day....cobra version.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I'll shut up now.....