19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2016, 05:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

... and that's really not anything special. Several of the builders on 332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum like to post vids of their dyno pulls. Here, I pulled up Barry's because he came to mind first: https://www.youtube.com/user/Survival427FE?feature=mhee I think if you had any of those guys build you an engine they'd throw in a fast dyno pull for next to nothing.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
An LS7!? Only some kind of ahole would put an LS7 in a Cobra bodied car.
Scott,
You are a smart guy. You know that if you had to pick a single motor platform that had pushrods and let you have the old school cam sound then an LS7 is about as legit as it comes. Full factory OEM controls and fuel injection....those LS7's are insane when built up and then you can get the benefit of their OEM electronics. Think how sweet it would be if ford had gone this way instead of the coyote. I guess it could be debatable about throwing one in a cobra but not for me.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:26 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

At some point, I was thinking of getting my car chassis-dynoed but it involved drilling the sidepipes and installing some sort of oxygen sensor adapters IIRC. And while I was a bit uncomfortable with the whole installation process, I was told that I didn't have room or an appropriate spot(s) for it with my sidepipes.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default To the OP

To the OP have you driven in a cobra, any cobra to get a feel for power to weight?
Old 06-26-2016, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
At some point, I was thinking of getting my car chassis-dynoed but it involved drilling the sidepipes and installing some sort of oxygen sensor adapters IIRC. And while I was a bit uncomfortable with the whole installation process, I was told that I didn't have room or an appropriate spot(s) for it with my sidepipes.
Chad uses a tube that's inserted into the side pipes that has a sensor. Real easy. With his tune, my MPG was awesome. The best is to add sensors to each collectors. I plan on doing that with this build.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
Scott,
You are a smart guy. You know that if you had to pick a single motor platform that had pushrods and let you have the old school cam sound then an LS7 is about as legit as it comes. Full factory OEM controls and fuel injection....those LS7's are insane when built up and then you can get the benefit of their OEM electronics. Think how sweet it would be if ford had gone this way instead of the coyote. I guess it could be debatable about throwing one in a cobra but not for me.
Yep, that WOULD be sweet...[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqXB8v6k-w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqXB8v6k-w[/ame]

It's better that Ford didn't go that way... then you'd all have them.

Last edited by scottj; 06-26-2016 at 06:55 PM..
Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's just one short block I'm looking at.
I'll see what Brent and Barry, among others have.

I may also get on the list for a block or short block from BBM.

Craft Performance- (A lot of variable's I know,......, but I wonder what the basic HP/TQ range this is made for) ?

428-465 Street/Performance - Craft Performance Engines
Old 06-26-2016, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottj View Post
Yep, that would be sweet...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JqXB8v6k-w

It's better that Ford didn't go that way... then you'd all have them.
Here ya go, dare to be different !

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oa24FVe0fs#t=114[/ame]
Old 06-26-2016, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Craft blocks.

Why is the Pond iron more expensive than the Pond aluminum ?

Pond Ford FE - Craft Performance Engines
Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 434 cid
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
Here ya go, dare to be different !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oa24FVe0fs#t=114
Nah... I don't like the shape of the rollbar.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Theres not much I like about it. Rubber band tires as well.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Read the ad. Don't the cylinders look awfully dark rusty ?

Nice Original 1966 1967 Ford 428 C I D Engine Block AC Cobra Shelby Mustang | eBay
Old 06-27-2016, 02:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

If you want an aftermarket block, you're outta luck.

BBM is expecting a shipment any day, but they are all spoken for. It will be near August before they will have any blocks freed up to sell.

Pond is out of blocks. He has changed foundries and the due date keeps getting pushed back.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Kevin, if I may, I get the impression that with your sprint car background you are more comfortable than most with a "loose" rear... One that slips and slides a little under throttle.

I also get the impression that you are after the biggest baddest engine money can buy, which is why you've raised the topic of a stroked 385 series.

Make no mistake, the 385 is the nastier engine, and could probably produce more bang for buck than an equivalent FE if all was equally.

But from what I'm lead to believe, in your case it's not equal. Is that correct?
If I understand it right, your car is already to go with an FE (ie headers, engine mounts, bell housing, other ancillary parts).

If so salvage what you can out of your current FE, and have a 390 (445) or 428 built with some ported pieces and marginally larger than normal cam.

This will ensure you have the "correct" looking engine, with the cheapest buy in price, that will have more than enough power to scare the sh!t out of you if you mashed the pedal down for more than 2 full seconds.

At least that's what my logic is telling me to do in your shoes. It's WINS all round.
Either way fun and exciting times ahead for you.

Good luck man!

Last edited by Dimis; 06-27-2016 at 03:15 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
If you want an aftermarket block, you're outta luck.

BBM is expecting a shipment any day, but they are all spoken for. It will be near August before they will have any blocks freed up to sell.

Pond is out of blocks. He has changed foundries and the due date keeps getting pushed back.

Not, really. I'm not ready right now anyway.

I can call them, but I wonder how long the line is ?

Do they ask for a deposit ?
Old 06-27-2016, 05:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Dimis;1396450]Kevin, if I may, I get the impression that with your sprint car background you are more comfortable than most with a "loose" rear... One that slips and slides a little under throttle.

I also get the impression that you are after the biggest baddest engine money can buy, which is why you've raised the topic of a stroked 385 series.

Make no mistake, the 385 is the nastier engine, and could probably produce more bang for buck than an equivalent FE if all was equally.

But from what I'm lead to believe, in your case it's not equal. Is that correct?
If I understand it right, your car is already to go with an FE (ie headers, engine mounts, bell housing, other ancillary parts).

If so salvage what you can out of your current FE, and have a 390 (445) or 428 built with some ported pieces and marginally larger than normal cam.

This will ensure you have the "correct" looking engine, with the cheapest buy in price, that will have more than enough power to scare the sh!t out of you if you mashed the pedal down for more than 2 full seconds.

At least that's what my logic is telling me to do in your shoes. It's WINS all round.
Either way fun and exciting times ahead for you.

Good luck man![/QU

I could not have explained myself better ! Lol...

I started racing Briggs Go-Karts at age 7, moved up to 100cc Karts, mini winged sprints then was fired to drive a 360 dirt winged sprints at age 15. Drove for the owner for 4 years and winning a championship the third year. The we bought our own sprint.

I broke my neck and fused 3 bones. At race speed or on a smooth track, I was ok, but the joilting at slow speeds or a real rough track, it was very painful, so we hired a driver out of Knoxville Iowa. We retired when the stock market crashed, then the owner of the business where my wife has worked for 30 years, sold and the new owner changed the GREAT insurance to just Blue Cross and it sucks. With our bad health, very expensive medications, and the big hit,..... my hospital bills.

So, we don't have the money we used to.

Anyway, yes, I still love getting sideways, fish tailing etc. Going straight is boring !
I miss the days at short tracks like at our home track, 1/3 high bank oval, turn left at 100 MPH, or like at Knoxville's 1/2 mile, 140 MPH to 150.

Yes, I want a 428 or better, a Side Oiler, nasty sounding and gobbs of power, epecially down low.
Like the video I posted of the assumned, small block Cobra, is nasty !

But you got it bud, I'm not worried about gettin loose !

Last edited by FUNFER2; 06-27-2016 at 06:06 AM..
Old 06-27-2016, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

I ran a 514 in my superformance and it was a beast. More real world torque than my Roush Fe based 511 in my csx. I never raced them side by side but it would of been a very close race and I could of put about $25K in my pocket savings
Ron
Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
I ran a 514 in my superformance and it was a beast. More real world torque than my Roush Fe based 511 in my csx. I never raced them side by side but it would of been a very close race and I could of put about $25K in my pocket savings
Ron
That's what I'm talking about! It is far and in between but when the 385 series owners chime in I always see descriptions that include words like "beast, insane". The usual FE topics include words like "expensive and leaking". I think both can be great motors but I couldn't help myself. Heck I'm the asshol* who came out of the closet on how cool an LS7 would be so everyone had to see this coming.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by csx4910 View Post
Ron
Is it the crate 514 with 625 HP or the bit lower HP version ?
Old 06-27-2016, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #684, 482FE, Mike Mccluskey build
Send a message via Skype™ to fordracing65
Not Ranked     

Get a block from Brent when they arrive. Get an intake from Brent. get some heads and a camshaft from Blykins. Get valve covers and spark plugs and pullies and wires and a carb etc from him also. Let him build you a motor and be done with it. He is a premier engine builder.