21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

The only thing I'm worried about is not enough power.

I will only be racing here and there for fun, so being used mainly on the street, I always like a torque motor over a high HP one. Torques gets you there, HP stays you there.

You and I have the same "IDEA".

I like driving downtown at night around the bars, as I get on the loud pipes and scare the CRAP out of people !
Old 06-25-2016, 10:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
We are all driving fake Cobras so who cares about resale value. If I was starting from scratch I would go with a 385 series and I would save my money until I could afford to do it right.
Who cares about resale? I do.

For not much more money, and you'll need different parts for the 385 too, which adds to the final price, you could get a budget 390/428 build. That's the way I'd go. I'd argue, resale over HP. If I'm on a budget, I'd opt for the FE with less HP than the 385 with more HP.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is partly how I do it, my mufflers.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAN-AM cobra, 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
This is partly how I do it, my mufflers.

LOL- same pipes on mine, love setting of the car alarms as I rumble by. And I'd always take horsepower today (and for many years) vs. a few extra bucks at some unforeseen point in time way in the future if/when I sell.... its all about the smiles per mile!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only time I cringed at setting off my neighbors alarms, was leaving at 4:00 in the morning to Kansas to the Good Guys Meet.

I could hear them now,..."GILMORE" !!!
Old 06-25-2016, 01:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Brent, what do you suppose is this engine.
Small block what ?

Sounds incredible !

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJN2diQPpMU[/ame]
Old 06-25-2016, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The only thing I'm worried about is not enough power.

I will only be racing here and there for fun, so being used mainly on the street, I always like a torque motor over a high HP one. Torques gets you there, HP stays you there.

You and I have the same "IDEA".

I like driving downtown at night around the bars, as I get on the loud pipes and scare the CRAP out of people !
Sounds like we have similar uses for our cars. If you have any doubt on not having enough power the 385 would be my choice...especially if you are a TQ guy. Small blocks can make pretty insane TQ as well but most of them aren't going to be capable of making the higher end power if they are setup for the lower TQ....and if they do they will be more high strung. In all honesty the 427 I have now is plenty but I want more....I want to get to a point where I don't want more. I think 700-750hp and 600-650tq would be enough for me.

Last edited by Ace23; 06-25-2016 at 02:04 PM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1867 , KC427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Who cares about resale? I do.

For not much more money, and you'll need different parts for the 385 too, which adds to the final price, you could get a budget 390/428 build. That's the way I'd go. I'd argue, resale over HP. If I'm on a budget, I'd opt for the FE with less HP than the 385 with more HP.
I don't take issue with anythjng your saying. Personally I have yet to have the thought of resale ever enter my mind when driving my car.....the only thing I think about is wow this is a blast and man I sure would like some more power. If you have a nice well taken care of car what's the worse you could hit on resale...10-15k. There is always someone wanting a high hp car and as time goes on the people who grew up when the FE meant something are going to be gone. Hell by that time comes around we may all have worthless undesirable kit cars worth nothing! Put the power in it you want and let it rip .
Old 06-25-2016, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

If I had a pretend cobra, with parts already set up for an FE, and could get 350-400 within budget, I'd put a pretend sideoiler in it. Like a stroked 390(445) or 428 etc.

But that's just me.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey Brent, what do you suppose is this engine.
Small block what ?

Sounds incredible !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJN2diQPpMU
Little high compression small block of some sort. Doesn't take that much power to smoke the tires like that though.

I could build a 390 (not stroked) with some compression and a healthy solid flat tappet and do much more than that.....
Old 06-25-2016, 02:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
I don't take issue with anythjng your saying. Personally I have yet to have the thought of resale ever enter my mind when driving my car.....the only thing I think about is wow this is a blast and man I sure would like some more power. If you have a nice well taken care of car what's the worse you could hit on resale...10-15k. There is always someone wanting a high hp car and as time goes on the people who grew up when the FE meant something are going to be gone. Hell by that time comes around we may all have worthless undesirable kit cars worth nothing! Put the power in it you want and let it rip .
You also have to consider how quickly you could sell your Cobra. As an example, I looked at Cobra with a 460 and decided to walk away. I knew I was going to have to invest $10,000-$20,000 in the future just to get it to where I liked it. And I'd be stuck storing and selling the 460. It's just easier to sell a 427 Cobra with an FE.

A 289 Slabside would be a blast to drive too. I'd like more power too, but the cost/benefit ratio of a Cammer makes no sense to me.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

Mine is SPF #705. I don't know how it compares to an FE. It looks bigger to me. Has most all the Cobra Valley upgrades. If you want those valve covers then get them quickly because once the inventory is gone that's it. If you really want a vid of it running them PM me.

Quote:
Cool. Any video of the engine running ?

Is it wider, taller and or longer than an FE ?

What make is your Cobra ?

I know that with the Lone Star, a turkey pan will hit the hood, so I don't know if the 460 would be too tall or not ? (always thought that was a stupid design) !
Old 06-26-2016, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #705, Ford Racing 460 - 514ci
Not Ranked     

I have a Torker II on mine. Holley double pumper, Ford Oval air cleaner, spacer to clear the MSD distributor in between. Clears fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
In a Superformance, you need a Torker intake (very short) to fit it under the hood scoop.

The deck height on an FE is 10.170. A 385 series engine is 10.320-10.360 depending on the year. Heads are much taller as well. Physically, it's a much bigger engine.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

My first ERA (178) was 351w powered. It was strong and sounded mean, but was very hard to sell. Everyone wanted an FE and it took a special buyer to pull the trigger.

My second ERA (755) Cobra was powered by a 428 stroker and I was thinking about selling and it sold in a day. 755 felt no faster than 178.

For me, nothing but an FE goes in my next ERA. A 500hp FE is enough to scare anyone.

We all think we won't sell them, but I can tell you I have made a nice profit on two cars and will be starting number 3 in the near future.

John
Old 06-26-2016, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII (2995), Ford 460/521, Ted Taormina build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Man, what a motor.

What are the specs ?

http://www.picpaste.com/thumbs/Cobra...1466869931.jpg
Crate motor with mechanical roller cam, the only real departure from the normal solutions is the decision to go with Webers. Originally had a single Holley 4-bbl. The Webers are smoother, start easier, shut down without run-on (unlike the Holley, which dieseled like crazy), have quicker throttle response, and my butt dyno says they make more power. Oh, and the look isn't bad either...

PicPaste - CobraSanRow2-txyZXw3k.jpg
Old 06-26-2016, 06:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Beautiful motor and color !

Do you have a link to the crate engine, or what's the specs ?

I've always wanted webber type injection and convert it to electronic, but the price is too much for me.

Do you have any video's ?

"my butt dyno says they make more power"
Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance MkIII (2995), Ford 460/521, Ted Taormina build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Beautiful motor and color !

Do you have a link to the crate engine, or what's the specs ?

I've always wanted webber type injection and convert it to electronic, but the price is too much for me.

Do you have any video's ?

"my butt dyno says they make more power"

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-521FT

These are actual Weber 48IDA's, not injection.

Sorry, no videos
Old 06-26-2016, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The only engine that should go in a 427 Cobra is an FE in my opinion.
jolsen42 likes this.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsed View Post
I have a Torker II on mine. Holley double pumper, Ford Oval air cleaner, spacer to clear the MSD distributor in between. Clears fine.
Yes, a Torker/Torker II is actually one of the shortest intake manifolds for a BBF. Carb pad average height is 3-7/8". Pretty short. Next up is a Performer RPM, average height is ~5-1/2". Victor is 6-1/2". I'm using "average" height because the intakes are actually angled (except for the Victor) and the front of the carb pad is much lower than the front.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star with IRS, 427W with megasquirt, T56 magnum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
You also have to consider how quickly you could sell your Cobra. As an example, I looked at Cobra with a 460 and decided to walk away. I knew I was going to have to invest $10,000-$20,000 in the future just to get it to where I liked it. And I'd be stuck storing and selling the 460. It's just easier to sell a 427 Cobra with an FE.

A 289 Slabside would be a blast to drive too. I'd like more power too, but the cost/benefit ratio of a Cammer makes no sense to me.

Having a FE in a Kirkham will make a big difference on resale, but for us guys with the quieter and more solid sounding interior and 3.5 extra inches of legroom, it doesn't make that big of a difference.

You can't get 500 Cu In plus out of a windsor, but you can get a large looking 427-460 out of a 351 block putting out an easy 550 HP plus and save a few thousand dollars.