21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hand built CAN-AM Motor car replica, built in British Columbia Canada, motor is an original Ford 427 Lemans side oiler with Shelby aluminum heads and weber intake.
Not Ranked     

Hi Larry yes the photo I sent is of the passenger side top of shock tower, there is nothing stamped on the drivers side top of shock tower, it is perfectly smooth and nothing looks altered.
Bill S is looking for pictures of the door hinges and trunk latches etc, I will take those tomorrow and send them to Larry.
BK

Last edited by adv-ent; 10-10-2016 at 09:54 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 04:01 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv-ent View Post
Hi Larry yes the photo I sent is of the passenger side top of shock tower, there is nothing stamped on the drivers side top of shock tower, it is perfectly smooth and nothing looks altered.
Bill S is looking for pictures of the door hinges and trunk latches etc, I will take those tomorrow and send them to Larry.
BK
Also send a shot of the drivers side of the shock tower

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Just wondering...since there is so much about this car that reminds many of the knowledgable members of a Kirkham, could this body have been sourced directly from the European company (can't remember which country---Poland?) that produces them for Kirkham and the numbers added at a later date?

Just a thought...

Cheers!

Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 10-11-2016, 09:42 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Just wondering...since there is so much about this car that reminds many of the knowledgable members of a Kirkham, could this body have been sourced directly from the European company (can't remember which country---Poland?) that produces them for Kirkham and the numbers added at a later date?

Just a thought...

Cheers!

Dugly
According to the SAAC registry Kirkham bought the factory and the land it is on in Poland. But it sounded like they did not do that at first. But once they owned the factory I doubt the Polish factory would supply anyone else.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
From what I understand it is a bit tricky to get a US sourced Cobra replica registered in Canada (unless it is an existing 20 year old complete car)
Tricky, yes, and at times a bit of a mine field.

For the record, ANY car (replica or OEM manufactured) at least 15 years old (not 20) can be imported into Canada. The '15 year test' is based upon when the car was completed and proof of completion in one form or another is required. Title descriptions (e.g. FFR roadster titled as a 1965 Cobra) are irrelevant and are not accepted as proof for the 15 year test.

BTW, the above is based upon my research and experience in importing a car in 2014.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
According to the SAAC registry Kirkham bought the factory and the land it is on in Poland. But it sounded like they did not do that at first. But once they owned the factory I doubt the Polish factory would supply anyone else.
I had heard that at one time when they were first starting to produce the bodies and frames for Kirkham anyone could buy products directly from the factory. I'm sure the Kirkhams stopped that once they bought the land and the factory.

What are the chances this could have been purchased before the Kirkhams bought the property and factory?

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 10-11-2016, 04:52 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

What do you know, I have a picture of a Kirkham shock tower with a serial number on it.

Kirkham flip top cobra under construction:

Zoomed in on driver's side shock tower showing serial number and tapped holes to right of serial number.

Jaydee likes this.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here's some more photo's Brian sent. Bolts on the door hinge mount look to be the same as Kirkham, though mounting tabs are not rounded.

Larry
Old 10-12-2016, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, it looks like there may be progress...now to address the issue of that VIN.

Slueth on, guys!!! This is getting even more interesting!

Cheers!

Dugly

Old 10-12-2016, 08:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I'm leaning towards an early Kirkham but I don't know why the COB number or why it doesn't have a Kirkham number. As a "COB" chassis, it should be right hand drive and this chassis was made left hand drive. Interesting for sure!
Larry
Old 10-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

In viewing all the pictures, I really don't think that's the work (and hinges, bolts, aluminum work, etc.) of KMP. In my mind, the work done on that car just doesn't meet the standard KMP level of excellence. No chance.

I'd guess a one-off by a talented amateur.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

After days of looking over the OP's pictures (thanks Larry), my conclusion is as follows:

Kimmin's (sp) body and frame

Not ever legally imported to Canada, but in Canada just the same, rumors of one that was brought over the border supposedly in a truck filled with snow blowers back in the mid to late 90's have been quietly floating around, but have never been substantiated, could this be that chassis?

Regardless, COB 0666 or COB 666 is an invalid/false/fake/illegally stamped chassis number and by someone doing so, risks the confiscation and disposal of said chassis by TransCanada and/or it's judicial arm.

OP's major problem is that there is no MSO/MCO, therefore he will not be able to legally explain it's lineage or prove it's actual age to TransCanada. If there is a MSO/MCO, then OP has a little more disclosure/explaining to do, past his "amnesia" as to how he came upon the chassis/body years ago, and just now was able to secure it in his garage again. No offense, but I can remember 95% of the 300+ cars that have come through my personal collection over the years, and I'm the guy with ADHD.

Bill S.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coombe, Shelby Block 496
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
After days of looking over the OP's pictures (thanks Larry), my conclusion is as follows:

Bill S.

How did you come to that conclusion? (Kimmin's built)
Please give details of the workmanship or items that support your findings!
Old 10-13-2016, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hand built CAN-AM Motor car replica, built in British Columbia Canada, motor is an original Ford 427 Lemans side oiler with Shelby aluminum heads and weber intake.
Not Ranked     

Bill S, why does this thread now need to turned into some kind of conspiracy. This thread was supposed to be all about if the actual manufacture could be identified. and no, it didn't come across the boarder with snow blowers.
Amnesia????? I explained in previous posts and have had numerous private conversations with forum members on how I became in possession of it.
I purchased it in the US, it is only a body and chassis, it was cleared by a local Cobra manufacture, I traded it for work towards the Cobra you see in my avatar and now I bought it back. Like I said it was in storage here for over 7 years.
I can't make you believe me so lets move onto to what the thread is supposed to be about. If I was a Cobra expert like yourself I wouldn't have need to start this thread, I am only looking for information and as I stated earlier it doesn't mater to me who made it but I thought it would be nice to know and also I thought it would be of some interest to others.
As far as Cobra's coming into Canada, a few years back there was a complete Kirkham roller, pained blue on E-Bay and the car was on Vancouver Island BC Canada?
BK
Old 10-13-2016, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Could one of you Kirkham guys post the height measurement of your roll bar from the body to the top?
Larry
Old 10-13-2016, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

Presumably Bruce Kimmins and his brother Colin - Kimmins Coach Craft. Lake Havasu City, AZ. Telephone: 520‑680‑0515

Are they still in business?
Old 10-13-2016, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi cycleguy55, I phoned the number and it is not in service?
Brian
Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

As far as I know, Bruce did panel beating but didn't build frames. Repaired yes but not from scratch anyway. He did a number of Hi Tech bodies but this car isn't a Hi Tech.
Larry
Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakiwi View Post
How did you come to that conclusion? (Kimmin's built)
Please give details of the workmanship or items that support your findings!
To do so would advertise the differences in frame/body/attachment (those are your hints), something I'm not willing to do, sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv-ent View Post
Bill S, why does this thread now need to turned into some kind of conspiracy. This thread was supposed to be all about if the actual manufacture could be identified. and no, it didn't come across the boarder with snow blowers.
Amnesia????? I explained in previous posts and have had numerous private conversations with forum members on how I became in possession of it.
I purchased it in the US, it is only a body and chassis, it was cleared by a local Cobra manufacture, I traded it for work towards the Cobra you see in my avatar and now I bought it back. Like I said it was in storage here for over 7 years.
I can't make you believe me so lets move onto to what the thread is supposed to be about. If I was a Cobra expert like yourself I wouldn't have need to start this thread, I am only looking for information and as I stated earlier it doesn't mater to me who made it but I thought it would be nice to know and also I thought it would be of some interest to others.
As far as Cobra's coming into Canada, a few years back there was a complete Kirkham roller, pained blue on E-Bay and the car was on Vancouver Island BC Canada?
BK
So you bought it new from a US manufacturer, then you would have a MSO/MCO, shipping records, your "local Cobra manufacture" who cleared it (cleared it how, through TransCanada, if that is the case, they hold their records for 25 years, a simple call to them could garner the information you seek, or open Pandora's Box which you should be worried about) or some record of payment to them, why not just say that, and post that in the first place. Your lack of transparency, your withholding of vital information, when you are asking for our assistance, seems a bit questionable at best. Further, no conspiracy on my part, I think I spent quite a bit of time going over your photographs, digging through my 20+ file boxes, comparing countless other photographs, of other aluminum body/chassis manufacturers (both commercial and private in nature), along with going over all of your previous posts on the subject and spelled it out, as I now see it, quite clearly. Sorry if that stings a little, but I am blunt when it comes to such things, preferring the facts, as laid out, by you, to speak for themselves.

Or, I guess our time, energy, and efforts are not as important as the time it took for you to ask for our free assistance.

Bill S.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:03 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Brian said the paint was ground away to expose the number better.
Larry
Would you use 80 grit (those are what the sanding scratches show) to take paint off, I think not