21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

And I am pretty sure I remember that David put a body and frame up for sale in the Kirkham Garage Sale thread, but it is odd that thread is only 3 pages now and I think that was a rather long thread back in the day. David had mentioned that he had sold just body and frame before as well in the past. I am not sure if the other companies that make aluminum bodies will do that.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:49 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Now if you think your car may have originated in the 1970s...

Old 10-08-2016, 07:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Take a look at the quick jack body holes in relation to the vent hole in the body. On a Kirkham, they are higher with the top jack home almost in line with the top of the vent.
On an original car, those are more in line with the center of the vent.
I was hoping someone knew of a chassis number on a Kirkham that's placed in an inconspicuous place that Brian could look at on his car.
Larry
Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ntCobra View Post
Now if you think your car may have originated in the 1970s...

so what are the differences in the 289 mk I and mk II bodys?
the "289 sc" are the sebring or lemans bodys i suppose....
Old 10-08-2016, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpjb View Post
so what are the differences in the 289 mk I and mk II bodys?
the "289 sc" are the sebring or lemans bodys i suppose....
Fender flare is approximately 1/2" wider on a "MKII" body.
Larry
Old 10-08-2016, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
Take a look at the quick jack body holes in relation to the vent hole in the body. On a Kirkham, they are higher with the top jack home almost in line with the top of the vent.
I was hoping someone knew of a chassis number on a Kirkham that's placed in an inconspicuous place that Brian could look at on his car.
Larry
I wil climb under mine later today and see if I can find a number anywhere. Mine is new though somethings may have changed.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Larry
Here is a pic on my Kirkham showing the relationship of the quick jack holes to the brake vent openings

Another angle:

Last edited by Phx Mike; 10-08-2016 at 09:46 AM..
Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike! That illustrates exactly what I was pointing out!
Larry
Old 10-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Larry
In the SAAC registry it mentions 3 locations for Kirkham. Shock tower - full number. Door hinge - last 2 or 3 digits. Foot box tag - full number.

Of course the foot box tag is easily removed and replaced.

Is there a 2 or 3 digit number on the door hinge? If you get me that number I can see what it says in the SAAC registry when I get back home tomorrow. The registry may say if it that number is associated with a roller or just a body and frame.
LMH likes this.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

By the way when I was at an open house at Kirkham, one of the Kirkham brothers told me that he reserved the Kirkham serial number 666 for his use for his personal car at a later date.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
In the SAAC registry it mentions 3 locations for Kirkham. Shock tower - full number. Door hinge - last 2 or 3 digits. Foot box tag - full number.

Of course the foot box tag is easily removed and replaced.

Is there a 2 or 3 digit number on the door hinge? If you get me that number I can see what it says in the SAAC registry when I get back home tomorrow. The registry may say if it that number is associated with a roller or just a body and frame.
On the Kirkham the last 3 digits are on the door hinge. See pics below. They are on the hinges on both sides.

LMH likes this.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: owned Kirkham for 11 years
Not Ranked     

1nt cobra,

Your contributions are always very interesting and appreciated.

I remember when Mark Gerisch ( sp.), located in wisc., made an all aluminium replica back in the eighties and I think Jay had to have the second one he made.
Maurice
Old 10-09-2016, 03:28 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Confirmed with Ned (again), this is not an original COB/COX car and/or chassis number. He (and I) have seen this type of thing before, 90% of them from overseas, with buyers insisting they are real/original and found sitting in a warehouse or old dealership basement until they bought it.

Bill S

Quote:
A couple more. The number on the chassis is on the shock tower.
Larry

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Confirmed with Ned (again), this is not an original COB/COX car and/or chassis number. He (and I) have seen this type of thing before, 90% of them from overseas, with buyers insisting they are real/original and found sitting in a warehouse or old dealership basement until they bought it.

Bill S
Bill,

I don't think any of us think this is really a COB/COX car. And it seems highly likely (at least to me) that it is a Kirkham, but I suppose there might be a very, very small chance this was something sourced from say some incarnation of "AC" in the last couple of decades. So figuring this is not really a COB/COX car, do you have an opinion on where it may have come from.

From what I understand it is a bit tricky to get a US sourced Cobra replica registered in Canada (unless it is an existing 20 year old complete car), but some manufacturers like Factory Five have found the right formula for producing something that a Canadian can build and register. Perhaps this started off as a Canadian attempting to get a Kirkham registered a number of years ago. From what I understand there is no way to get a Kirkham roller into Canada and get it registered, but perhaps starting with just a Kirkham frame and body might make it easier. Now lets say a Canadian tried to start that, but might have been trying to short cut the process by replacing the serial number, couldn't that have been a way that we got to the current situation? What do you think?

Ken
Old 10-09-2016, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hand built CAN-AM Motor car replica, built in British Columbia Canada, motor is an original Ford 427 Lemans side oiler with Shelby aluminum heads and weber intake.
Not Ranked     

Hi, I resent the latest post, nobody is trying to deceive anybody or try to fool anybody with this chassis number.
I simply was asking if anybody could help me identify the manufacturer, I personally don't care if it is a AC, Kirkham or built by Billy Bob I was just hoping someone could help identify who actually manufactured it and maybe when. It is exactly as it was purchased so what ever or who ever stamped any kind of numbers on it, I have no idea. It is exactly how I received it from the US and from a US seller. It was cleared into Canada years ago as parts only by a local Cobra builder so please let me worry how it will be registered.
Thanks for all your help and especially to Larry for all his comments to me and for posting the pictures.
BK
Old 10-09-2016, 05:29 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv-ent View Post
Hi, I resent the latest post, nobody is trying to deceive anybody or try to fool anybody with this chassis number.
I simply was asking if anybody could help me identify the manufacturer, I personally don't care if it is a AC, Kirkham or built by Billy Bob I was just hoping someone could help identify who actually manufactured it and maybe when. It is exactly as it was purchased so what ever or who ever stamped any kind of numbers on it, I have no idea. It is exactly how I received it from the US and from a US seller. It was cleared into Canada years ago as parts only by a local Cobra builder so please let me worry how it will be registered.
Thanks for all your help and especially to Larry for all his comments to me and for posting the pictures.
BK
I did not intend to insult you and I am sorry if I did. I don't know the whole story, I assumed that you acquired this car from someone else in Canada in its present state and some earlier Canadian owner might have tried to take a short cut with the serial number for some reason. I did not realize that you brought the car in from the US from a US seller. Perhaps going back through the chain of ownership from the US seller backwards might be the best way to figure out what you really have.

Is there a 2 or 3 digit number on the door hinge in the location where Kirkham have their serial number?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hand built CAN-AM Motor car replica, built in British Columbia Canada, motor is an original Ford 427 Lemans side oiler with Shelby aluminum heads and weber intake.
Not Ranked     

1ntCobra, OK, thanks no problem.
I have checked everywhere, there are no numbers on the door hinges, I was even asked to check the drivers side rear frame rail end cap where I was told Kirkham sometimes stamps there numbers. There are no numbers anywhere other than the 0666 on the inside of the trunk clasp that I can find.
I even looked very closely to see if maybe original number have been removed but the paint seems original and is in very good condition and nothing seems out of place.
The biggest mystery is why anybody would use the COB 0666 number if it is a known fact that this number never existed and especially when all the original cars chassis numbers seemed to start with 6. Seems like a pretty stupid choice.
I have collected WW2 militaria for years and run into fakes all the time but most fakes encountered are at least not so obvious.
Unfortunately there is no longer any information of the previous owner, I traded the car away and never thought I would ever have a chance to get it back so until a couple of weeks ago it was lost to me. This is why I now am looking for info on who made it because it is now mine again. I can't even remember exactly when the car was purchased, my car is now over seven years old and the aluminum body was purchased before my car was started.
I do know it was not purchased from any kind of manufacturer but from an individual. It was picked up in Malibu Beach from a storage facility.
BK
Old 10-10-2016, 05:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Before I comment any further, I need to see full size shots of the door hinges, trunk hinges and latch, and the welds of the front "X" member

Bill S

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 10-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was just looking at this picture of the shock tower:

And then comparing it with the picture of the Kirkham shock tower on page 851 of the SAAC registry.

Unlike the above picture, which has the number going from top to bottom, the Kirkham number runs left to right closer to the bottom than the middle.

The Kirkham shock tower plate also has 2 threaded holes on the right side (could be mounting a horn?), which are not found above.

If the picture in the SAAC registry is typical of where Kirkham stamps their serial number, then this does NOT appear to be a Kirkham shock tower bracket with the number ground off and replaced.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

VvERY
Quote:
I was just looking at this picture of the shock tower:

And then comparing it with the picture of the Kirkham shock tower on page 851 of the SAAC registry.

Unlike the above picture, which has the number going from top to bottom, the Kirkham number runs left to right closer to the bottom than the middle.

The Kirkham shock tower plate also has 2 threaded holes on the right side (could be mounting a horn?), which are not found above.

If the picture in the SAAC registry is typical of where Kirkham stamps their serial number, then this does NOT appear to be a Kirkham shock tower bracket with the number ground off and replaced.

That's very interesting, thanks for posting that! I notice the registry also says the Kirkham number is on the drivers side shock tower. Brian can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the photo is of the passengers side.
Larry