Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     
Default "Taurus fan" in a Kirkham

It's well known in the cobra and hotrod community that the Taurus/sable/Lincoln two speed fan can keep a snowman cool in hades...

Has anyone ever installed one in a Kirkham? I have a Kirkham that dislikes parade type traffic on hot days and a Taurus fan sitting in my garage. I'd like the two to get together. A quick glance tells me the steering rack may be a problem, but I'm not sure.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's done this install. I'm not particularly interested in hearing about bleeding the cooling system, or drilling a hole in my thermostat or checking my timing or adjusting the mixture or any other of the myriad things that can make an engine run hot. I know all about them.

Thanks.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll be watching this thread, since I haven't heard much at all about cooling issues with Kirkham's.

When I'm caught in traffic on a hot day, the Kirkham-supplied fan does the trick for me. And I also use just distilled water and Redline's "Water Wetter."
Old 10-24-2014, 04:20 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

phil,

I had overheating issues with my motor. All the little tricks didn't do chit. Here's what worked for me:

I installed twin pushers, using the original puller fan wiring for the twins. Looks good but did nothing...

Then I installed a 70A relay with another switch on the dash (might be a problem depending on how you are with accuracy). I replaced the standard Spal puller with a H.O. (high output) Spal 30102113. This did the trick. It's got about 5 more amps of pull and does what the original Spal couldn't, and it's physically a drop in, not muss, no fuss. Just the wiring, which is easy.

Now for the caveat: The fan is recommended not to be operated more than 1 hr at a time. For me, when I'm moving, I'm good. When I'm in traffic, which would NEVER be for more than 20 mins let alone an hour, the fan goes on manually. These fans are used in some older Ferraris, like the 355 or 360, automatically. I haven't heard of any issues with them blowing. I came through the summer with no heat issues at all.

Might want to try it before installing a big shroud. For me, it wasn't an option anyways due to the Paxtons. If you need any help with the wiring, let me know. I though I'd throw this out there as an option for you.
cdnus likes this.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Me too ! for one thing, the circular fan most of us run only pulls air thru about 60% of the radiator, without a proper shroud, which I don't think there's room for.
Definitely have the "traffic/parade syndrome !!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rodney!

An informative and constructive post... I love it!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

They're far and few between but they're in there...

Just for accuracy, I added the twin pusher fans after the puller. So when I turned the twins on in addition to the new Spal, they made no difference at all.

Last edited by rodneym; 10-24-2014 at 06:07 PM..
Old 10-25-2014, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2004 Kirkham 427 S/C, Shelby 496C.I.
Neutral     

What about adding some shrouding around the original fan to force the air movement thru the fan?
Old 10-25-2014, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil, installed the taurus fan on my LSC with the Hollinger road wiring harness. Although not a Kirkham, let me know if you've any non-Kirkham specific questions. It is one hell-of-a fan! It'll suck small pets and children into the nose. I know of no aftermarket fan that'll compete with it.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Yup. When i had my engine in a run-stand, before i got the car, i was using an old junkyard radiator with a spal fan. Can't remember which one. That fan couldn't begin to cool the engine. When i switched to the Taurus fan, the difference was miraculous. Which is why i think it'd work wonders in the kirkham. I like rodney's idea though... I'm so ready to be done fussing with that car!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

philminotti / undy: Which year(s) Taurus fan are you referring to or using? Those are pullers, correct? Dimensions?
Old 10-26-2014, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
philminotti / undy: Which year(s) Taurus fan are you referring to or using? Those are pullers, correct? Dimensions?
As I recall it's 86 through 89, with a 3.8L V6. The fan diameter is 17", contained in a factory shroud. The Lincoln LSC used the same fan, although with a more powerfull 18" fan. I have the Taurus one. Both fans are pullers.

You just "carve" the fan shroud to fit your particular application. Mounting requires the same ingenuity.

As I'd mentioned, I'm using the Hollister Road fan relay/harness kit. I also use two different coolant temp sensors (also Holister provided) that work in conjunction with the harness. The first sensor is 180deg and it energizes low speed. The second sensor, 195deg, pulls in high speed. I have a manual dash toggle swith too, which brings in high speed.

If installed, make sure you have a 100+ amp alternator and adequate wiring as this puppy draws a hard 40+ amps on high.

I had early on cooling "in traffic" nightmares with my big block FE. Going down the road, it was fine. I did a lot of in depth research and nothing seemed to help much. That is, until the Taurus fan install. I now can let it sit in 95deg traffic for hours and watch the temp gauge cycle between 180 and 200.

Best mod I ever did to the car!!
cdnus likes this.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

The KISS method for cooling a Cobra (Keep it simple stupid), Ford Taurus 2 spd. fan. 2500CFM low speed & 4500 CFM on high speed.
Amazon: Dorman OE 620-101 Solutions rad. Fan assembly. - approximately $100.00
Hollisterroad.com - Mark VIII Relay Kit FA70113 - approximately $75.00.
Get the exact measurements of Amazon - approx. 20" x22"
That's all you need. Bill
Old 10-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Then I installed a 70A relay with another switch on the dash (might be a problem depending on how you are with accuracy). I replaced the standard Spal puller with a H.O. (high output) Spal 30102113. This did the trick. It's got about 5 more amps of pull and does what the original Spal couldn't, and it's physically a drop in, not muss, no fuss. Just the wiring, which is easy.

Now for the caveat: The fan is recommended not to be operated more than 1 hr at a time. For me, when I'm moving, I'm good. When I'm in traffic, which would NEVER be for more than 20 mins let alone an hour, the fan goes on manually. These fans are used in some older Ferraris, like the 355 or 360, automatically. I haven't heard of any issues with them blowing. I came through the summer with no heat issues at all.
That fan (the Spal 30102113) is a workhorse of a fan -- 3000 CFM. I use its "little brother" the Spal 30102120 -- it pulls just under 2000 CFM and I have no problem with my FE and heat. Users should note that the 30102113, in addition to having the goofy one hour limit, has a motor that is not sealed. Keep that in mind if you drive your car in the rain, or in high-dust (which most of us don't do anyway).
Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So I completed my retrofit of Spal's high output fan to my Kirkham and have so far been pleased with the results. Mind you, it's not the intense heat of summer around here yet, but I have noticed a big difference. Required drilling out some rivets, but overall, not a big deal at all. I recommend it for anyone who needs more airflow through the radiator at low speeds. I'm sure a fully shrouded fan would be even better, but that would require major surgery on my car. Thanks go out to Rodney for the suggestion.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Glad to hear it, phil.
Allow me to reserve the right to say that it does help, but not perfect.

My latest is using a smaller W/P pulley but didn't get to really test it due to turning the car in to McCluskey's for paint. It should be done in a couple weeks, just in time for the heat.

Report back any news and I will too.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC #437, 408ci
Not Ranked     

I know this is an old thread but it never hurts to add. The Volvo 2-speed fan from 90's 740/850/950 works great and it is thinner than the Taurus fan. The shroud is 16" high and 23" wide.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

As long as this thread came up....

Just yesterday I emailed David Kirkham because I found an old photo of one of the billet cars with a 16" fan mounted in front of the radiator, as a pusher.
They use a standard 16" Spal that's pulling (behind radiator) and the another mounted in front as a pusher. Also, I believe he overdrives the W/P and the alternator with an oversized crank pulley (you can also use the Powermaster pulley part# 111). He said he's had great results with that combo in Arizona and Dubai heat.

I'm already overdriving the alternator but I'm suspecting that I'm not charging sufficiently (my 18 month old battery went dead! That's roughly the same time I added the High Output Spal .
When it's time to redo the cooling system, I'm trying David's setup and maybe a higher output alternator.

Last edited by rodneym; 03-10-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Old 09-22-2017, 10:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Just ordered the Taurus fan today, but the relay kit mentioned earlier in this thread seems to be unavailable. I need a kit with a 50 amp relay that will switch the b+ from the "low" speed wire to the "hi" speed wire, this may require 2 relays and a 3 position sw, but not the same as a 2 fan kit. I'm guessing that when power is applied to one speed, it is removed from the other. Or not ? Plus a temp sensor sw would be nice. Been looking thru Summit and amazon till my eyes cross ! just can't be sure which kit will work. Lots of dual fan kits, no dual SPEED kits. Any help appreciated !

Ted
Old 09-22-2017, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD View Post
Just ordered the Taurus fan today, but the relay kit mentioned earlier in this thread seems to be unavailable. I need a kit with a 50 amp relay that will switch the b+ from the "low" speed wire to the "hi" speed wire, this may require 2 relays and a 3 position sw, but not the same as a 2 fan kit. I'm guessing that when power is applied to one speed, it is removed from the other. Or not ? Plus a temp sensor sw would be nice. Been looking thru Summit and amazon till my eyes cross ! just can't be sure which kit will work. Lots of dual fan kits, no dual SPEED kits. Any help appreciated !

Ted
I just talked to Mr. Hollister and his setup is most definitely available for the 2 speed Taurus fan. It comes with the relay pack, both temperature sending units, instructions and all needed wiring. This is the same setup I installed in mine around 10 years ago. Here's the link...

https://www.hollisterroad.com/prodde...prod=TM8BA1820
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'll be back down in Port Charlotte next month and you're welcome to look at my setup.