Old 06-21-2018, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post

So my advice is "buy a finished Kirkham and drive it."
But he won't. He already doesn't drive the one he has. A change in color and composition probably won't change that.
Blue66 likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:59 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
But he won't. He already doesn't drive the one he has. A change in color and composition probably won't change that.
... yep, anymore than if I went out and bought a new pair of cleats, glove, bat, and cap. Those days have passed me by... just like a warm summer's day. You just have to let 'em go.
Blue66 likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoy View Post
No, Dave Brookes (DB) makes his own cars and they are very, very good. They're not quite to Kirkham standard, by his own admission, but you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference.

Kirkhams have become more of a "custom" Cobra in recent years, whereas Dave stays true to the original. He is also a really decent and honest guy. I know a number of people with Dave's Cobras and they love them.

I've never understood the "delicate aluminium" comments when it comes to Kirkhams. Mine is over 10-years old and done well over 30,000 miles and I think the bodies are very tough. The front apron on mine has a good smattering of gravel rash, but then so would anything. I've done a good number of charity track-days on an old military air-base with concrete runways that are constantly shedding grit, which has caused most of the "rash".

If you really want a Kirkham and if you can afford it, I'd say go for it and give that particular itch a good scratch. You can always sell it again later on. You don't want to be saying "I wish... or "if only..." in later years.

ATB
Paul
More memories, fewer regrets.
FatBoy likes this.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
... yep, anymore than if I went out and bought a new pair of cleats, glove, bat, and cap. Those days have passed me by... just like a warm summer's day. You just have to let 'em go.
Geezus, it's the 1st day of Summer, go out an buy a new pair of cleats, glove, bat and cap and join a "beer league." You guys sound like you're ready to buy some burial plots right about now.

Personally, I'd like to "go out" running thru the tape at a finish line of a race and I'll probably work until I croak, just like everyone in my family. What's so great about retirement anyway? Buy a motorhome and go see faces carved into a rock? Fly to Paris to see a really big tower or an oil painting in a museum?

BTW, whatever happened to the other guy who was debating between buying a Cobra or a motorhome?

Work the extra year and buy the Kirkham. You can always sell it, there are so few on the market.
FatBoy likes this.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Yeah, if you want a kirkham, then i would buy one, used maybe, as time is money. If/when you sell, maybe you may lose a little, break even, or even make a little profit. If you buy a new vette, keep it 5 years and sell, you will lose.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 06-22-2018, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Buy any good running, well assembled. Cobra. Needs sidepipe covers ? get them. Different seats ? Ge them.

Drive the dog**** out of it.
To the store. To church. To work.
It ll make work even more enjoyable to go to.

Good Luck.

The Nut
Old 06-22-2018, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If you buy a new vette, keep it 5 years and sell, you will lose.
That is the one fact that I see clearly. Almost all cars depreciate rapidly. Some start to appreciate again, given time, but not all. You are not going to do well investing in Vegas, Chevettes, and Pacers. Muscle cars that have a nostalgia to them have gone up in value.

Kit cars and replicas, as a whole, have not been as successful as Cobra replicas, and the Kirkham is the top of that heap. When a Kirkham sold for $50K you could drop a nice FE drive train in one for less than $15K. It was not all that hard to finish one with nice upgrades for less than $75K. Go find one of those cars for sale today for less than $75K. I haven't found any. You will find them for sale asking north of $100K. As I said earlier, they are more like a house than a car. They are definitely keeping pace with inflation. I do think a big part of that is because the price of a new Kirkham has went up so much.

When the Kirkhams get old and decide to retire or sell or close shop, as inevitably will happen some day. What will happen to these cars value? When all that will ever be built, has been built?????
Old 06-22-2018, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ex owner of a polished Kirkham 427 S/C. Now Cobra-less and driving a mid-engine German hot rod.
Not Ranked     

Even though the Kirkham's have seemed to hold their value reasonably well I would not count on it as an investment. It seems to me that most folks interested in Cobras are 55 plus today and the market for these cars is going to start getting smaller in the next 5-10 yrs. Most folks under 35 that I run into at car shows don't know what a Cobra is.

Buy the funnest car to drive that you can afford (and still retire) and that your wife will ride in, and then have fun. At the end of the day it's about the driving and friendships (and a happy wife!) not the car.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #812 427/482 FE
Not Ranked     

I see the value of these cars driven higher by Shelby American with the continuation cars, not Kirkham. SAI will continue to do this. A rising tide lifts all boats.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post
It seems to me that most folks interested in Cobras are 55 plus today and the market for these cars is going to start getting smaller in the next 5-10 yrs.
Agreed, but also realize that 50ish is the magic age. It is when the nest is empty, people are making the most they have ever made, and the house is paid for. So after making all the sacrifices for the kids, they are finally free to buy and do what they want. If you would have asked most of us, when we were 30 or 40, what we were interested in, most would not have answered getting a Cobra. We had other priorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx Mike View Post
Most folks under 35 that I run into at car shows don't know what a Cobra is.
True, but I have seen the eyes light up when they see my Cobra. From 6 yrs old on up, people who have no idea what it is, instantly fall in love with this car. I never had a clue how many women are actually as much car guy as any man, until I bought the Cobra. How can you look at Cobra and not fall in love at first sight? If I Cobra doesn't float your boat, then no car ever will.

All that said yes it is not an investment.

Oh yea one more thought. The super muscle cars being built today, and even 20yr ago, will not be operable, when they are 50 yrs old. They are piling so much technology onto new cars that is obsolete by the time you pay them off, it is mind boggling. See if you can get someone to fix an Atari (a video game made in the 80's). In 2068, you will be able to buy parts for a Model A Ford, before you would be able to make a 2018 anything run again. At least that is my prediction.

Last edited by olddog; 06-22-2018 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: one more thought
Old 06-23-2018, 06:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Well, I have a couple teenaged grandsons and their friends and the other boys that I might encounter all know what a Cobra is....because they have seen it in a video game or games that are very popular.

It is very surprising , at least to me, that only about 30% of 16 year old's have a drivers license . How do they expect to get laid without a drivers license.....???

I will add that some of you "kids" in here need to show some respect for your elders....and get the hell off my lawn !
Gaz64, g8rnbft and ACHiPo like this.

Last edited by Bartruff1; 06-23-2018 at 06:08 AM..
Old 06-23-2018, 12:15 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartruff1 View Post
How do they expect to get laid without a drivers license.....???
The better question is how do you get laid IN a Cobra?
Maybe I'm asking for too much. Like George Constanza flying too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates/Shell Valley Street Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
The better question is how do you get laid IN a Cobra?
Maybe I'm asking for too much. Like George Constanza flying too close to the sun on wings of pastrami.
That would not be a problem for a sixteen year old.....heck....I had a 41 Jeep..
Old 06-23-2018, 02:43 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Hopefully you did't damage your Willys.

These jokes write themselves.
Bartruff1 likes this.