Wooo hoooo!
Old 11-15-2019, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeyes View Post
I’m about see it in IMAX. Just looked at my ticket—I swear I didn’t notice the seat number until now!

Wonder if they have a seat number “G40”...

I wonder how many here know what a P4 is, , and how did they procure so many cars for this film? .
Gary
Old 11-15-2019, 04:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Neutral     

The Ferrari replicas in the film were remarkably well done, but clearly replicas. I wonder who built them and what chassis they were built on. I don’t know when the last time a Ferrari P car changed hands was, but with a GTO going for something like $30 million a year or so back I can only imagine how valuable the rarer prototype Ferraris are.

The thing that stood out to me—and I confess I’m one of the guys who notices things like wrong-sized wheels on the Daytonas—was not those things but how many things the filmmakers got right. They clearly went through great pains to duplicate the very, very early Ford GT that Shelby started with, and it was nice to see things like how they used the right color schemes for the “dead heat” 1966 cars.

Curious that Cobras feature prominently, and we see period-correct Cobra jackets and Shelby American signs on buildings, but the word “Cobra” as far as I recall is never spoken once in the 2 1/2 hours.

I wish they would have portrayed more of Remington as the mechanical engineering wizard he was. They allude to it with the quick-change brakes but beyond that he’s kind of portrayed as a salesman type. I also thought his actor (Ray McKinnon) sounded more like Shelby than Damon did, LOL.

Setting all that aside, I genuinely enjoyed it and thought it did about the best job of avoiding being “another racing movie” as you could ever hope a racing movie would be. The portrayal of Miles as a committed husband and father, and not “just” a driver, was great.

About the best compliment I can pay the film is that, after I sat down, a group of about a dozen teens came in and sat down three seats away. Before it started they were unsurprisingly being noisy and messing around on their phones, and I wondered if I was going to end up having to find another seat. About 30 minutes in, however, I realized they were dead silent and looked over to see all of them watching intently. In the last scene with Miles several were literally on the edge of their seats. And, when the credits rolled and I got up to leave, I was really pleased to hear them clapping loudly. That tells me that the film is a winner with a pretty broad audience and gives me some hope that another generation of young people will be interested enough to learn more about the story.

One more thing—am I the only one who wanted to reach into the screen and turn Damon’s cowboy hat around? LOL

Last edited by snakeeyes; 11-15-2019 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-15-2019, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Snakeeyes,
Race Car Replicas out of Detroit (maker of the SL-C kit) made most of the race cars for the movie.

Saw it last night for the premier in Dallas with the Cobra and Ferrari clubs attending. That made for a fun night.

I thought the movie was really well done. Not Oscar stuff, but very enjoyable.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Snakeeyes,
Race Car Replicas out of Detroit (maker of the SL-C kit) made most of the race cars for the movie.

Saw it last night for the premier in Dallas with the Cobra and Ferrari clubs attending. That made for a fun night.

I thought the movie was really well done. Not Oscar stuff, but very enjoyable.
Thanks for that, Dallas. I think that’s the company Fran Hall started; I bought a set of Gurney Weslake valve covers from him years back. He’s a talented guy and it doesn’t surprise me that the movie cars were so good.

I walked out of the theater thinking how much fun it would have been to have driven a bunch of Cobras there. I’ll bet that was great.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

There was one part where Miles talked about adjusting the Holley secondaries, and yet the car has Webers.

Gary
Old 11-15-2019, 06:38 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Promo today on FOX BUSINESS with our 289: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4so6s2xfiv...mance.mov?dl=0
snakeeyes and 1795 like this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 11-15-2019, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks for that, Dallas. I think that’s the company Fran Hall started; I bought a set of Gurney Weslake valve covers from him years back. He’s a talented guy and it doesn’t surprise me that the movie cars were so good.

I walked out of the theater thinking how much fun it would have been to have driven a bunch of Cobras there. I’ll bet that was great.
Yes, it's Fran. I was up there picking up a new chassis and visited with him for a while about it. It was quite an undertaking for them. He said the movie guys were more interested in the originality of the cars than he was expecting, even to the point of getting accurate taillights for the Ferrari's. Not an easy item to source and most people would never notice a detail like that.

edit: oh, and yes, it was fun having the cobras at the event.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Yes, it's Fran. I was up there picking up a new chassis and visited with him for a while about it. It was quite an undertaking for them. He said the movie guys were more interested in the originality of the cars than he was expecting, even to the point of getting accurate taillights for the Ferrari's. Not an easy item to source and most people would never notice a detail like that.

edit: oh, and yes, it was fun having the cobras at the event.
That’s really cool. I’m sure the budget dictated walking the line between some measure of accuracy and not spending millions on a fleet of replicas. They picked a great source to get them from.

I’d be curious to know how the front suspension was set up on the blue 289 that Damon drives throughout the film. Every time the car goes over a bump it bounces like a AA/Altered funny car with a solid front axle. I’ve never seen a Cobra replica from any manufacturer set up that stiff.

Gaz, that’s funny about the carburetor comment. I remember that scene but I think I was taking a sip from the Bass Ale I was enjoying during the movie during that part
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

The movie was entertaining and has me itching to get back out on the track for next years race season. I will be thing of it every time I hit 7,000 rpms on the track.
peterpjb likes this.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Just got back. A lot of details wrong. A lot of good details too. Racing action not overly convincing to me. Many details of the Ford interaction with Ferrari and then Shelby I have never heard before so I wonder if it is true.

The most glaring error is showing Ferrari at the Lemans race. He never attended the races. Included no doubt to add interest.

I did enjoy it very much. Definitely worth seeing though.

I did very much appreciate that the movie made Miles the central character.

I also liked the fact that Henry 2 even though a hardened dictator could be smart enough to change his mind.
Robert Day, KevinW and Gaz64 like this.

Last edited by t walgamuth; 11-16-2019 at 05:08 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
Just got back. A lot of details wrong. Racing action not overly convincing to me. Many details of the Ford interaction with Ferrari and then Shelby I have never heard before so I wonder if it is true. The most glaring error is showing Ferrari at the Lemans race. He never attended the races.

Worth seeing though.
Yes, I decided before going that I was going to abstain from inaccuracies and just enjoy seeing a film I never dreamed would be made. They diverted from history a fair amount though. Miles did race at Le Mans in ‘65. Leo Beebe wasn’t quite the villain he is in the film. Etc. But it’s very enjoyable regardless.

Anyone interested in the history should check out “The 24-Hour War”, a documentary about the Ford-Ferrari battle for Le Mans. It’s on Amazon Prime, iTunes, and other platforms. 1 hr 39 minutes of historical footage and rated 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

The movie plays LEO Bebbie ( I'm guessing at the spelling) the number two in Ford corporate ladder, was a real pain to Shelby and Ken Miles I can see why Shelby pulled his own plug in 69 and went to Africa for 12 years. I thought it was the Ford meddling with Shelby inner workings. I also greatly enjoyed the lost 1:38 interview with Shelby. Shelby did all this by the age of 46 years old.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I was yesterday watching the movie.
It is a great film and I like it as it is, from my point of view, an Hommage to Ken Miles.

Best sceen is when Enzo Ferrari is showing his respect to my hero
Old 11-16-2019, 04:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz64 View Post
There was one part where Miles talked about adjusting the Holley secondaries, and yet the car has Webers.

Gary
I thought that at first too, but they had both cobras and GT40s in there. Some of the GTs had Holley carbs so I concluded that he was talking about one of them.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I thought that at first too, but they had both cobras and GT40s in there. Some of the GTs had Holley carbs so I concluded that he was talking about one of them.
Yes, the small block cars had Webers and the 427s had Holleys. I can’t recall which variant was in that scene (see my earlier beer comment ).
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I enjoyed the opening scenes with Shel winning the ‘59 Le Mans in the Aston DBR1. The fire part was a fiction but I know the director was trying to establish how dangerous racing can be for the five or six people out there who don’t know it. At any rate I appreciated the scenes and the fact that they either used a period Aston or took the time to obtain a replica.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I enjoyed the opening scenes with Shel winning the ‘59 Le Mans in the Aston DBR1. The fire part was a fiction but I know the director was trying to establish how dangerous racing can be for the five or six people out there who don’t know it. At any rate I appreciated the scenes and the fact that they either used a period Aston or took the time to obtain a replica.
I wondered about that fire.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     

I'd have thought that they may have changed to the Webers later , they kept changing everything trying to get perfection. I thought I saw the FE with dual four Holleys. I've seen so many videos this last week, it might have been a seen from a video. In that time frame it would have been dual fours or Webbers to get 1200 CFM or more. Now a single large four could do it. I didn't see any intake filters on any race engines. Nascar uses filters now and are only going 500 miles in about four hours around the same loop not 24 hours out in the country side.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael C Henry View Post
I'd have thought that they may have changed to the Webers later , they kept changing everything trying to get perfection. I thought I saw the FE with dual four Holleys. I've seen so many videos this last week, it might have been a seen from a video. In that time frame it would have been dual fours or Webbers to get 1200 CFM or more. Now a single large four could do it. I didn't see any intake filters on any race engines. Nascar uses filters now and are only going 500 miles in about four hours around the same loop not 24 hours out in the country side.
The MkII (427-powered) cars went to twin carbs for ‘67. They ran them without filters, like they ran the Weber-powered cars. Wonder how much dirt and sand those engines ingested in a 24-hour race, especially at Florida tracks like Daytona and Sebring.