Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 12:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ford v Ferrari races into theaters on Nov. 15.

Christian Bale, Matt Damon strap in for Ford v Ferrari first look

Set against the backdrop of 1966’s 24 Hours of Le Mans race in France, the film follows fearless British racer Ken Miles (Bale) and maverick American car designer Carroll Shelby’s (Damon) mission to build a revolutionary car that would allow Ford to challenge the dominating Ferrari brand.

COOL!
1985 CCX and ront49 like this.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA kit on order
Not Ranked     

When I first heard about this movie I was thrilled. When I found put Matt Damon is Carroll Shelby, I found it to be a stretch but realized that it still has the potential to be my all time favorite movie. I mean, Bale might still make a good Ken Miles. When I started seeing on set pictures of the Cobras in this film, including the LAX set with a line of Cobras sporting 17" wheels, I realized the strong possibility that I might actually come to hate this movie.
KevinW likes this.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

oh well, I would love to see it and decide for myself!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwolf View Post
including the LAX set with a line of Cobras sporting 17" wheels, I realized the strong possibility that I might actually come to hate this movie.
We're all not perfect
Old 05-27-2019, 04:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I would not have cast Matt Damon as Carroll. Sometimes the director
has to go with an alternate if the chosen lead simply is not available
during scheduled principle photography.

Director James Mangold has a pretty good record of delivering quality features.
Logan, The Wolverine and Walk The Line (Johnny Cash story) were well made in my book.
Guess I will wait with guarded optimism till the first reviews come out.

Regardless, the film will most likely elevate social awareness and popularity of our little cars.

Last edited by Unique427; 05-28-2019 at 04:36 AM..
Old 05-27-2019, 06:35 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Here are some pictures of units used in filming: https://www.gt40s.com/threads/superf...ferrari.52961/

Purists will find the "Cobras" pictured as early 260 cars have the side vents from the 289s, etc. but remember, this is Hollywood and 98.6% of the people who will see this film have no idea of who the people are or what the cars are.
1985 CCX likes this.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 05-27-2019, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

No doubt the Cobra replica market will surge some if they have enough screen time to peak others interest. The replica GT 40 market may get a boost but with their much higher cost, not sure it will be much.

Still great to have a quality ( hopefully) movie based on our cars and Carroll Shelby.....much overdue.

E5
Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

I'll certainly look forward to seeing the movie. With today's technology, the racing scenes should be spectacular. I'll try to enjoy the movie and story and not worry too much about vents, mirrors, and wheel sizes. Would not think that the entertainment value for 99+% of us will be affected.
my 3 1/3¢ worth.
Jaydee, HTM101 and Trubble like this.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALF View Post
We're all not perfect
I'm not necessarily after absolute perfection, but with the GT40s and Cobras playing such a heavy part in the film I thought they'd put at least a little time into having somewhat accurate cars. I can forgive things like the side vents in the 260 cars, but for the LAX shop to have a line of Cobras with 17" wheels makes me think that no effort will be made on period correctness and makes me realize that the effort put into the actual story might follow suit. Who knows, maybe the film won't pan low enough to catch the 17" wheels, but part of a films job is to transport you back to the timeframe of the film. The Godfather wasn't filmed with hotrodded out cars, because it wouldn't have been accurate. You didn't see a restomodded, big wheel car in Walk the Line because it wouldn't have been able to place you in the right time frame.

There is a good chance that the director / editors know exactly what they are doing and we will not see modern cues such as 17" wheels in the actual film. That being said I am definitely still looking forward to the film and glad they are making it. My statement still stands though. If they don't take effort to stay true to era correct examples of the cars then how much effort will be put into keeping the story accurate instead of Hollywooding it up for ticket sales? Though it could possibly end up being my favorite film of all time, when I see inaccuracies in pics from the sets, I realize that the stories of two of my heros may be mistold or not accurately portrayed . . . in which case I would end up hating the film.
Igofastr and MCoop like this.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 351W
Not Ranked     

Should be a good movie if the producers stick to the true story and not distort it with excess drama or BS. It’s my understanding, even though Henry Ford ll was a key character, his family was never consulted about any of facts.
Old 05-29-2019, 02:20 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

You know this all brings to mind, 2-of my favorite book's. 1-has been turned to into the biggest piece of C--p you would ever see on the screen. That book just happen's to be "Stand on it, Stoker" by William (Bill) Neely, and Bob Ottum, cira 1973, which as we know (we who have read it ) into the movie "Stoker Ace" had nothing to do with the book. What a shame. 2-Which I still have hope for, is "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Grath Stein. Cira 2008. I love this book, not only for us 'car guys' but if your a dog person (Bonus) I have given this book out for Christmas, birthday's, any good reason to give a neat present. My girlfriend at the time showed dogs, we gave those as Christmas gifts to these 'old' lady's, that she showed with the look on their faces were priceless, till one read the book. She GOT IT. And now many more Dog show households have that book in their bookcase's. Let's hope if they make that one, it doesn't disappoint. I will wait (to Judge) and see if this one (Ford Vs Ferrari) is a hit or miss with us Cobra guy's Finger's crossed. Cheers Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 05-29-2019 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: changed a letter
Old 05-29-2019, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Grath Stein.

https://youtu.be/Dp2ufFO4QGg

Comes out in August....

Blas
Alfa02 likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 05-29-2019, 05:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

We'll see if it as good as The 24 Hour War & the Cobra Ferrari Wars movies.

I hope the stunt director didn't buy a couple of tankers of gasoline.

I'm with Bearwolf, small details can make or break a movie.

I mean a napalm like explosion in cowboy movie. Come on, give me a break
Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

It's not as if it is reasonable to use real cobras and GTs with their value today.

I look forward to seeing it.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Grath Stein.

https://youtu.be/Dp2ufFO4QGg

Comes out in August....

Blas
I really liked the book. I had no idea that this was going to be a movie. With Ford v Ferrari, this and John Wick 3 this has the potential to be a really good year for car / dog / movie fans.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwolf View Post
There is a good chance that the director / editors know exactly what they are doing and we will not see modern cues such as 17" wheels in the actual film. That being said I am definitely still looking forward to the film and glad they are making it. My statement still stands though. If they don't take effort to stay true to era correct examples of the cars then how much effort will be put into keeping the story accurate instead of Hollywooding it up for ticket sales? Though it could possibly end up being my favorite film of all time, when I see inaccuracies in pics from the sets, I realize that the stories of two of my heros may be mistold or not accurately portrayed . . . in which case I would end up hating the film.
The producers / director don't know much about cars, or even care about being true to history. They are clueless about cars, or car history. They are "artsy" people, not car guys. Their purpose is to entertain the general public, and make money doing it. They are not making a movie to specifically entertain the cobra crowd. I know, I own a movie car.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."
Old 05-29-2019, 12:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

I think I saw these cars in prep in CA last I was out there. SPF should get a bump from this...
Old 06-02-2019, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The movie trailer is out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyYgDtY2AMY
1985 CCX and Jaydee like this.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for posting the trailer link. Looks good to me

Cheers!
Glen
Old 06-03-2019, 05:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Its a must see, looks like two as a matter of fact.