Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2019, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is Jamo the current moderator? I haven't seen a moderator post anything in quite a while.

Couple guys on Facebook said they can't seem to join the site. No one sending them confirmation emails once they sign up.
Larry
Old 09-01-2019, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMH View Post
...Couple guys on Facebook said they can't seem to join the site. No one sending them confirmation emails once they sign up.
Larry
Not that long ago, I couldn't login to CC for days at a time, so I tried adding a second login, "xb-60_2". If I search for that ID, it's there, but it's not activated.
Sounds like nobody's steering the ship.
Happy to be contradicted....

Cheers!
Glen
Old 09-10-2019, 07:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

I have been unable to log in for a couple of weeks using www.clubcobra.com. This is the link that I have always used. Now, I can only log on going to the forums section and then backing into the other sections. Is anyone else having this problem? I tried clearing the browser history with no change. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

From all appearances the site is crippled with errors and headed for a major crash once again.
I'd like to thank all who have made this site what it is through their experiences & knowledge. (I say this now as I'm not sure I will be able to log in again as it gets worse per day and today could be crash day.)

Sad as this is a great site with a priceless lode of Cobra lore and tech data.

I hope to hell I'm wrong.
MaSnaka likes this.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Please fix this site. It's too valuable to lose

This morning's 'welcome' message to me from Club Cobra at startup....
"PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 0182B597"
....and that was my second try after it timed out and gave me a different error message.
Third try, I sneaked in

In the absence of any comment or information from the site owner / administrator / moderator, who is actually responsible for this site and its operation?
I do actually make a small yearly contribution to the site's .....what? running costs / maintenance?....but of course the site's store of information and the access to that information is available to absolutely anybody, whether a signed-in member or not. (When I say "available", that's not been an entirely accurate description of the state of the site for some time now).

So....I'm looking for suggestions here....is there anything that we as members of this forum can do to ensure that this facility and all of the information that it contains remains accessible?

If the moderator reads my rant and wants to throw me out for a time of 'reflection'....fine. Just fix the site please.

Regards,
Glen

edit: can't get to the portal page at all this morning. This is the message I get
PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 0182B2AF
Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 120 seconds exceeded in F:\Inetpub\wwwroot\clubcobra\forums\includes\class _core.php on line 3181

Last edited by xb-60; 09-13-2019 at 05:21 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 06:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I do actually make a small yearly contribution to the site's .....what? running costs / maintenance?....but of course the site's store of information and the access to that information is available to absolutely anybody, whether a signed-in member or not. (When I say "available", that's not been an entirely accurate description of the state of the site for some time now).

So....I'm looking for suggestions here....is there anything that we as members of this forum can do to ensure that this facility and all of the information that it contains remains accessible?

If the moderator reads my rant and wants to throw me out for a time of 'reflection'....fine. Just fix the site please.
First, I'd suggest you stop contributing. Do you think it has gotten you anything? I considered it but decided to see what improvements if any would happen from those who did. Either (1) such contributions were of an amount that didn't help with capital and recurring expenses so all we get is status quo or (2) the money went somewhere else.

As far as improving it, the owners have spoken. By their lack of action they simply don't care.

I expect we'll try to sign on some day soon and find that the lease on the domain name has expired and the site disappears into the Internet Black Hole.

Make them an offer to buy it from them! I know of several other forums that this has happened. But honestly, it didn't work for them either. It's like chemotherapy with stage 4 cancer - you might live a little longer before the inevitable happens, but inevitably, inevitably happens. None ever came close to recouping their costs, some shut down and others continue because the owner absorbs the costs.

Properly monetizing the site with ads can help. Not the kind of ads you see here but the random Amazon and other ads that actually generate a revenue stream when clicked on.

Also, it was mentioned here that the owner of this site has several other sites, and they do not suffer from neglect. That alone ought to tell you something.

Just who IS the owner? I mean the one who writes the checks. There are several that seem to claim such status, but there is a difference between a moderator and an owner. Feel free to correct me but I'll assert that the current state of things speaks for itself.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-13-2019 at 06:05 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
.....the current state of things speaks for itself.
Unfortunately, Tony, you are likely to be correct. It's the access (ie potential lack of access) to the massive amount of information here that concerns me.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 09-14-2019, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Is Jamo the current moderator? I haven't seen a moderator post anything in quite a while.

Couple guys on Facebook said they can't seem to join the site. No one sending them confirmation emails once they sign up.
Larry

Missed seeing this. Yes. I've been cloaked for several years (you don't see when I'm online). I rarely post, but I'm here near daily fixing stuff when I see it or it's been reported...spam, etc....and helping folks when I can. Patrick's correct...I do not have any administrator functions, so any b!tching to me is not really going to help. I pass on issues to Brent. CW left years ago...just left. I've been it. Folks don't squabble much anymore so I rarely have to police anyone, but it still happens...and it is done quietly and without patience or discussion (one of the reasons I stay cloaked...not interested in everyone's opinion).

If I get questions regarding anything I just explained, they'll be ignored. Read.

Personal opinion...Facebook groups have had a huge effect on forums. I collect watches...there are few watch forums left since most have gone to Facebook groups. That said, we have rather unusual cars...different mfgs, different builds, different issues than other car collecting folks have. This forum still contains a wealth of information you simply are not going to find in Facebook groups. Ever tried to research "threads" in a Facebook group? They compliment each other. Our Gasholes group remains alive and well (nobody's died) and yet we all use Facebook to annoy each other ("we don't like us either")...but we can still have long discussions on our forum about how fvcked up democrats are or the fact Turk has a gopher problem or Wilf can advise someone about the electrical problem on his Cobra. I think having all of the various types of online discussions is great...but that's just me. I just wish I could get my wife and girls to answer the dam phone when I call!

And that's all I have to say 'bout that. Nice talking to me.
LMH likes this.

Last edited by Jamo; 09-14-2019 at 03:31 AM..
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M 427 Top Oiler stroked to 482 by KC, Stage 2 heads, a Quikfuel and Voila, 640 hp
Not Ranked     

Been two weeks of not getting access for me as well. Got in through the forum route this morning after checking on Google to see if the site still existed.
The right guy to figure this out is Brent. He's the dude for keeping this thing running. Hope he chimes in soon. He will be tough to replace.

Douglas Adams - Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
Old 09-23-2019, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just saw your post Jamo, thank you! I got on through “All Cobra Talk” but the main www.clubcobra.com is a no-go. Same thing, computer or phone.
You’re definitely right about FB taking a lot of business and I’m guilty of it myself but there isn’t the info there and there’s a whole new crop of uninformed “experts” handing out Cobra advice! Hopefully Brent can get this site fixed and we’ll be back to yelling at each other like normal!
Larry
Old 09-23-2019, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
...I pass on issues to Brent...
So....the access issue has been passed on to Brett....and....?

Glen
Old 09-23-2019, 05:23 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
So....the access issue has been passed on to Brett....and....?

Glen
… and totally ignored. But for years Brent was reasonably responsive. He never just ignored the site for weeks at a time. Very strange. It makes you wonder if he hasn't had some sort of health issue or something else going on in his life (meaning, something "bad") that has taken up virtually 100% of his time.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
…It makes you wonder if he hasn't had some sort of health issue or something else going on....
but
Quote:
....Our Gasholes group remains alive and well....we can still have long discussions ...
and
Quote:
...Nice talking to me.
Yep, draw your own conclusion

Cheers
Glen

Last edited by xb-60; 09-24-2019 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: edited my editing
Old 09-24-2019, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     
Default Newb: Search

If the front door of Club Cobra is closed, I'm not all that concerned.

For ages, doing a Google search and linking to Club Cobra content is much more efficient. Create shortcuts to Forums you frequent.

It would be nice to have these defects resolved, but it's the content we should be up in arms about. I can't imagine owning a Cobra-like-object and not having the collective wisdom of everyone that faced all the challenges before me.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hope it continues to be that simple. My fear, however, is that the website will fall over completely and none of us will have access to any of the information here.
That would be most unfortunate.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft SBF-302
Not Ranked     

most unfortunate to be sure
Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Be careful searching google for Club Cobra! You could end up in Hollywood at a place you might not want to be!
Larry
Old 09-24-2019, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Be careful searching google for Club Cobra! You could end up in Hollywood at a place you might not want to be!
Larry
LOL. Yeah, quite the shocker when that happens ! Make sure to do the google search with site:www.clubcobra.com on the end.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Just got into the site. The main web address is not working for me. I'm still around, but I haven't been able to get to the site until now.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR, 302
Not Ranked     

I don’t think this bodes well for the future of this site and more importantly all the collective knowledge and information located here.