Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2019, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

427SSS,

I have worked with people with physical disabilities, including people in wheelchairs for over 30 years. Where there is a will there is a way. Can you fetch out some of the things that you are considering and post them? It might help in getting suggestions. One suggestion that comes to me right now is that the person who will be transferring from their wheelchair to the adapted seat in the car will need grab devices to assist in the transfer. The roll hoop behind the drivers door could be used as one, having a cross bar in it may help. The windshield will need substantial bracing if it is to be considered as another. Another option for a forward brace would be to develop a locking bracket that would lock the steering wheel in place, kind of like one of those old anti car theft devices. That would enable the person to use the steering wheel as a support through negating the steering wheel from turning when under pressure.

Jim
Old 10-26-2019, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

I have no idea what I'm doing, it's100% seat of my pants, out of my garbage head, (fritz Perils, "in and out of the garbage pail book)

I'm hoping that the wheelchair will be a part of the Cobra, maybe later, one could use ones own chair, but this is a one of a kind, prototype.

This will happen even if I have to design/build custom wheelchair to work, cut out 4" + of cowl, install removable steering wheel, whatever, it can/will be done.

I even at first thought about doing this with VW chassis, low profile, cheep, etc.
once I realized Bennett cobra is three inches lower(FLOOR PAN 2' LOWER) than "regular" cobra, it got me thinking, MJCH BETTER. LESS SLOPE FOR WHEELCHAIR RAMP ACCESS.

I have wheelchair from Walgreens on hold, found, on craigslist chair with 14" wheels, much better, hope I get it, if not, I will buy new. All removable wheels, arm rest.

Now, I discovered FORD has a automatic/stick shift transmission, I'm looking into it.

If you want something done, just tell me it cant be done, that's my challenge, that's what's fun in life, what else is there?

I may not succeed every time, but you can bet your sister's virginity, I will give it my best/fun/dumb/stupid/ out of the box, different view try. Succeed or not.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-26-2019 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-26-2019, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-tech body/frame, 427engined FF5/302engined FF5 Bennett 289 & 427 rolling chassis
Not Ranked     

I loved it when a plan comes together:

on cragslist, $4500.00 wheel chair for $500.00, in Fresno, he will take to FedEx, I phone them, give credit card numbers, and they ship it, no need to drive 5 hours round trip.
Perfect chair, removable 16" wheels, (more room)removable arm rests, just perfect!

https://www.kimobility.com/Product.a...tName=Focus+CR

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Old 10-26-2019, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Before investing in a wheelchair for the car, consider this. People who are in wheelchairs and drive cars typically use the drivers seat that comes with the car. When at a restaurant if they donate stay in their wheelchair they will transfer to a chair there. The only people who would need a custom wheelchair installed in the cobra probably wold not be able to drive it anyway if they need the trunk support it might suggest that they would lack the motor skills to effectively drive. People who are non-ambulatory and drive will use steering wheel mounted devices for braking and accelerator. If you want, you can use a racing seat to provide additional trunk support.

Before investing any money I would suggest that you talk to some people at the local VA and see what the typical needs are for the people who you would like to benefit are. You cannot make a car that anybody with severe motor deficits can drive, that is not possible. What you can do is identify a population that you can serve and adapt a car to meet their needs.

There re some rehab facilities that adapt vehicles for people with disabilities so that they can drive, you might want to check with them as well.
Gaz64 and Jaydee like this.

Last edited by 1795; 10-26-2019 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 10-27-2019, 12:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

spdbrake
Got it, the color! Standard blue with white stripes, and...long story, I ended up with a pair of RED seats.
So, RED/WHITE/BLUE Cobra, perfect.

from your earlier post at 9:32PM: ( have worked with people with physical disabilities, including people in wheelchairs for over 30 years...), great ideas, input, thank you very much.
Steering wheel will be removable.
(...person who will be transferring from their wheelchair to the adapted seat in the car will need grab devices to assist in the transfer...)
No transfer, the chair will be "part" of the Cobra, first lower the ramp, wheel up the ramp, push button to raise chair 1" with 12V scissors jack, remove the wheels and arm rests, place in "cut out" behind passenger seat. swivel chair 90 degrees counterclockwise, press button, lower chair to drive height. Raise the ramp, drive away.

(I would suggest that you talk to some people at the local VA) nope, I did my time in the military, I would not go to anyone associated with it or VA for anything that requires intelligence.

( Before investing in a wheelchair) You posted yesterday at 11:53, I had already bought the wheelchair about an hour before, again, I running by the seat of my pants, bull in a china shop, give me a bigger hammer attack.

I'm not trying to build a car that works for everyone, just 1 in 10, no, for 1 in 100, or 1 in a 1,000 someone with more smarts/time/money is welcome to build a car for the other 999 chair bound people

Thank you for your input/suggestions, Im open to any and all, ...well maybe not all.

Anyone know anything about Ford having an automatic/stick shift, my Dad had one in his 67 Porsche, it worked well and was fun to drive; not my cup of tea, but might just be the ticket in this situation. Doubt I would be able to bolt up Porsche tranny to 289 ford engine..

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-27-2019 at 01:56 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 01:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here goes:

https://www.facebook.com/wayne.mcall...5046770600323/

dang computers, can't download from my tablet to my email, or to here, so had to send to FB and then to here.

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-27-2019 at 01:45 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival
Not Ranked     

My 2 cents worth... surely as fellow Cobra owners we can all accept that we all like a challenge. Otherwise we would all be driving around in Hyundais (not that there's anything wrong with that). If someone wants to build something different, then "good on the them!"
I say...My philosophy is you don't know until you try.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

willandrache

THANK YOU SIR!

Ok, I think I found a Ford "selectshift transmission".. now, will it bolt up to a 289?

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-t...nsmission.html

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-27-2019 at 03:19 AM..
Old 10-27-2019, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427SSSS View Post

(Is this lower cut going to be a separate flip down door section or are you going to have it grafted to the door panel to end up with an enlarged and lower threshold door and door opening when completed?)

That's a mouthful, I've read it three times and still not 100% sure what you are saying.
Piano hinge at bottom of 2' cut out, door is 28"+/- height, second piano hinge at top of door, drop door, unfold second 28" panel, have 5'-6" long ramp, to reach 5-1/2"" height of Bennett cobra floor, didn't take time to do exact math, but it's damn close to ADA requirements.
OK - I think I get it. The original front hinged door goes completely away replaced by a two-piece, hinged at the bottom door panel that folds down like a PU tailgate and then the inner door panel section unfolds out on a top hinge and extends further out making a ramp. That's going to take some thought and structural consideration to support possibly 225 lbs or more and still fold up compact enough to allow torso and shoulder room.

Good luck
Old 10-27-2019, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yup, you get it, although I plan on epoxying in existing door, and using the 2'+/- wide cut out as first/main door panel.

(That's going to take some thought and structural consideration to support possibly 225 lbs or more and still fold up compact enough to allow torso and shoulder room.)

The top hinge...somehow, don't know yet how, I'll need to place "legs"/supports, actually outside the door, to support the two panels where the hinge is, which would mean I'll only have a 28"+/- span for each panel.

Similar to this:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4019

Yup, fun, love a challenge, one step at a time.

Photo shows one more step I took yesterday, 2008 Toy Hauler. Web photo, similar.
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-27-2019 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: add photo
Old 10-27-2019, 03:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Or you could have cables or restraints on the sides similarly to a pickup bed tailgate, that would be attached at the mid-point hinge between the two ramp/door sections and towards the top of the body. It would take a bit of thought on how to get them to fold back in out of the way and maybe some frame reinforcement at the top on the body.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would check with your DMV to verify that the way that you want to mount the wheelchair in the cobra will meet their requirements. I have no idea, but it will be easier to address now, then later when you go to register the car and have it inspected. They may have some helpful suggestions as well. Probably not the first time that an adaptive vehicle has come their way.

Since you do not want to use the VA, you could check with a local rehab hospital/clinic as they will have plenty of experience assisting people who hav lost motor ability in being able to adapt a vehicle so that they can drive.

I am looking forward to seeing the completed car, including a happy driver inside.

Last edited by 1795; 10-27-2019 at 04:43 PM..
Old 10-28-2019, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

DanEC

Great idea, the way the back ramp drops in a toy hauler...similar, thanks.

As always, good suggestions, and helpful ideas, thank you.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One option:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c96LK0zmCo

I've also contacted these people for an estimate for a custom ramp:

https://www.handiramp.com/wheel-chair-ramp.htm

Old 10-28-2019, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Got braver,real saws all.

And handiramp is designing/building me custom ramp!
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2019, 11:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On second thought.... maybe I'm going about this the wrong way, don't get me wrong, I intend to make this one work, no matter what.

BUT, THE NEXT ONE....on second thought, no ramp, no cutting out side of Cobra. Drivers door gets one of those swing up, out of the way weird hinges. A hoist, crane, if you will, that can be attached to roll bar. Lifts the Vet, out of HIS chair, swings him into regular, seat of regular Cobra. He can then reach out, pull arm rests, wheels off chair, lift rest of chair, and store, where, maybe no passenger seat, no passenger??? I'm not doing this for the passenger, as long as a Vet can drive a Cobra, who cares? And if he really wants a passenger, the right seat could be removable/and replaceable and locked down, and the passenger could disassemble the chair and the hoist and put in trunk.The hoist/crane would be a problem, how to dis-assemble it (maybe just arm) and store it so it doesn't look stupid sticking up in the air. but the "arm" would not have to be any higher than a regular roll bar.

BTW, I have a 289 Bennett body and chassis begging to get on road...#2?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-28-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-28-2019, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Why diddnt you guys tell me I was using wrong saw? Grinder with cut off blade, 10 time faster, 10 times more control, cut out done in 10 minutes!

Politically incorect, but who cares, WTF, she looks like someone from the Ozarks missing two front teeth.😊
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-28-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Old 10-29-2019, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

Clearly you are not yanking anybodies chains.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yee ha! Progress!

Now that we have the actual real thing, I guess we can use it to do a waste of time set of drawings.
Attached Images

Last edited by 427SSSS; 10-30-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique , FE428
Not Ranked     

My wife and I met a gentleman down in Gatlinburg Tenn. It was during Shades of the past . He had a construction business and got paralyzed in an industrial accident . The Weavers , at Unique cobra knew him . He has since passed away . Maurice Weaver told me this and he told me that the guy didn't let the accident keep him out of his cobra . This was probably 25 years ago . I'll never forget him . I bet the Weavers at Unique could give a lot of information and answer a lot of questions . Bob
RB60 likes this.