28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The difference in weight, based on the bronze versus aluminium body is not a lot.
Assuming you need 4 sheets per car. That's before you cut and shape it.

Also assuming the material thickness is the same, which we don't know.

Did all four cars have period correct engines?
Old 01-23-2020, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 599 Polished Bronze
Not Ranked     

Thank you for the article, Mike. I had never seen that. The bronze car has a 482 aluminum engine built by Keith Craft and the Copper has an aluminum SOHC motor. I believe the aluminum car has a 482 Keith Craft engine, also. The FIA 289 car has a 427 small block. If I was outbid on mine, I was going for that one, but my limit was way, way below what it sold for.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the engine update. So one can say those were "full spec/loaded" versions of their kind destined to fetch highest prices. Good benchmarking!

Now let me save up for a cast iron top oiler 427/428 Kirkham Street with 4-speed and tubular suspension - and 16" steering wheel :-)
Old 01-28-2020, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You described a nearly perfect Cobra, the street versions are beautiful.

I liked the non-roll bar look of the bronze car.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

427 street cars are pure eye candy....
Attached Images

Buzz, snakeeyes, bwcobra15 and 2 others like this.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner: JCF 289 slabside, ERA #329 and 424, GTD "Essex Wire" GT40; currently enjoying Hi-Tech 427 #147
Not Ranked     

+1 on that. When I was a teen, long before replicas became so common, the first Cobra I ever saw was a real one. It was a silver street version with undercar exhaust and Sunburst wheels, and it was gorgeous. I was recently licensed and out cruising when it blasted past me at the intersection of two country roads. I gave chase but it wasn’t long before the driver got tired of being tailed. With a waive of his hand he opened up the dual 4-barrels and disappeared in the distance. I’ve been in love ever since and the street versions are some of my favorites.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG427 View Post
I'm the one that ended up with the Bronze Kirkham. My wife and I saw it at a show a few years back and we both loved it. I had sold a CSX4000 Cobra about a year ago when I retired and figured I would never have another Cobra. When I saw this one going through the auction, I figured I'd make an effort to buy it. This is my fourth Kirkham built Cobra that I've had in my garage one at a time. I set my maximum limit going in never thinking it would be high enough, if someone had bid one dollar higher after my final bid, I wouldn't own it. I hope I'll be a good owner for the car.
I have a few items to address. The first are the tires and the second are fender protectors for the rear. If anyone knows of someone that sells good spats, please let me know. Since I don't have a trailer any more, I will drive this car on occasion, I drive everything I own.
I emailed David Kirkham yesterday and he responded right away with congratulations, he also provided some much needed information about the build. Its good to be back in the Cobra loop.

Bring that Bronze Beauty out to the Texas Cobra Meet in San Marcos this year!! Texas Cobra Club Spring Meet
Dwight likes this.

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 01-29-2020, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm the Texas Chapter Judging Chairman for NCRS and we have a meet in Houston that weekend that I'm in charge of. I may swing by on Thursday to view the cars on the way to Houston for my event.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm glad the site is up and running. Quick update on the bronze Cobra. The mileage was at 20 when the car arrived, it's now up to 80. I'm still driving sparingly until I get the spats from H.R.E. The car needed lots of polishing as there were handprints all over from transit. There was no damage, just tons of handprints. I've got many hours of polishing in already and the car looks great. I lifted the rear up a bit as I thought is was way too low. A wooden steering wheel is on order, too. The car runs like a banshee, it is very well sorted out, Kirkham makes a wonderful car.
Attached Images

Mike I, Gaz64 and Alfa02 like this.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX6128 with Shelby 468FE
Not Ranked     

It looks great Tim and it has good company in your garage too!
Old 02-13-2020, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Tim...well bought. Enjoy the hell out of it!
Old 02-13-2020, 09:58 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Beautiful Cobra Tim, much better looking already then it did going across the block on TV I don't know what you're using on the body (Polish) to get the fingerprints, swirl's, etc. off, but I collect vintage stereo's from the 70's with brushed or polished bare alum. faces, the lettering is paint, so you rub too hard, the lettering comes off, and it go's from a perfect vintage stereo, to a garage stereo real quick I have tried EVERY Alum. polish out there, and what I use on all my alum (Bare) piece's is 'Blue Magic' blue Metal polish, cleans Alum stereo faces without removing the lettering, also great for alum. wheel's, valve covers, even my plastic turntable covers, newer plastic headlights (Remove's fine scratches). Might be worth a try, if you haven't tried it. Hope this help's. Glad to see your driving her Cheers Tom.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom, thank you for the tip. I've used various polishes including Flitz and Mothers. I'll certainly try Blue Magic. From the beltline down on the front and rear was really neglected as were all the areas on the top of the doors. I've got about 10 hours of polishing in the bronze portions and the trunk. The stripes look much better, also. No tarnished shadows on the sides and in-between. I think it's time to drive the darn thing tomorrow and get the miles well over 100.
bwcobra15 and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by TimG427; 02-14-2020 at 03:32 PM..
Old 02-19-2020, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I am very impressed that you are driving this rare car! Good for you! A little tail high rake looks good on a car and is compensation for the additional weight of a driver and passenger.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The bronze Cobra keeps accumulating miles, to date I've brought it from 20 miles to 250 miles. The Spats are in place and are removable in about 45 seconds. Someone was kind enough to recommend I go over the entire car and check for anything loose. While on my lift I noticed that there was no plug in a threaded hole for an oxygen sensor. I should have been more aware of exhaust coming out of this hole, but the darn car is pretty loud to start with, so I let it go. This is now plugged and the car operates much smoother while warming up. This thing is pretty addicting to drive, what a blast. My next chore is to get a set of AVONS for the car. Traction with the MT's is pretty limited, especially with a 4.11 gear. Hope to see some other Cobra owners on the road when everything gets back to normal.
Attached Images

Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane 427 Cobra #HM2008, Craft Performance 427w 600hp/600tq, TKO-600 close ratio, original Smiths gauges, lucas switches
Send a message via Yahoo to bwcobra15 Send a message via Skype™ to bwcobra15
Not Ranked     

please bring it out to the Texas Cobra Meet in San Marcos Oct 7-11, 2020 !!

I love it and I need it I bleed it ~ Yeah it's a wild hurricane ~ Alright, hold tight, I'm a highway star!!
Old 04-10-2020, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I forgot about putting on a correct steering wheel. I'll be around for the rescheduled show.
Attached Images

bwcobra15 likes this.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

Tim,

Nice to see that you are driving it. These cars should not be garage queens. When I bought my used ERA I doubled the milage that the prior two owner had put on in 7 years in one year.

Wow, with a 4:11 rear end you are going to be putting a lot of torque to the road. I would suggest taking a close look at the rear diff and shafts, those Avons are going to grip a lot more that the MT's and if they do not break loose, something else may give. Remember, there is no perfect solution to anything, with all good comes some bad. Even if nothing breaks, with that gearing and power it will probably thrust you forward a lot faster than you currently are experiencing. So, take it a little slow at first.

Enjoy.

Jim
Old 04-11-2020, 05:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, everything looks good with the rear end, I checked all the bolts.
Your advice is something I will remember. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2020, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG427 View Post
The bronze Cobra keeps accumulating miles, to date I've brought it from 20 miles to 250 miles. The Spats are in place and are removable in about 45 seconds. Someone was kind enough to recommend I go over the entire car and check for anything loose. While on my lift I noticed that there was no plug in a threaded hole for an oxygen sensor. I should have been more aware of exhaust coming out of this hole, but the darn car is pretty loud to start with, so I let it go. This is now plugged and the car operates much smoother while warming up. This thing is pretty addicting to drive, what a blast. My next chore is to get a set of AVONS for the car. Traction with the MT's is pretty limited, especially with a 4.11 gear. Hope to see some other Cobra owners on the road when everything gets back to normal.
Where did you get those spats tim?