Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2021, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Want to buy a Shelby Cobra!!!

As title say, i am looking for a shelby cobra on the 30k-40k budget, If you have any for sale please let me know

Thanks
Old 09-10-2021, 04:20 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Try looking at Bring A Trailer.

https://bringatrailer.com/shelby/cobra-replica/

There you can see a history of auction prices from the sales.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Everyone is thinking it but noone will say it so I will.

You will be disappointed in a 30-40K Cobra. There is one here that is built on a Corvette that might be had for that.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Everyone is thinking it but noone will say it so I will.

You will be disappointed in a 30-40K Cobra. There is one here that is built on a Corvette that might be had for that.
I know for a fact that not "everyone" here is thinking what you're thinking. ... My OPINION is that the OP may be disappointed if his is the least authentic looking replica at car gatherings in his area and if that is the main reason he wants one. But if his is one of the few fiberglass replicas where he lives, it is likely that few people will know or care how close to original it is. ... Most of the people who approached me back when I had my Cobra replica were interested because they wanted to get into a Cobra they could build themselves. Perhaps that is because I live in a rural area where both wages and the cost of living are far lower than in booming metro areas. But my bottom line is that there are many different reasons people buy Cobra replicas, so there are many different cars that might be the right fit.
cycleguy55 likes this.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-10-2021, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Originally posted in your other thread about the Elegant Motors Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenis83 View Post
To be honest Im really new on this topic about shelby cobras, I own a 1969 bronco, a desert prerunner truck (offroad lover). Everytime I go to big car shows I see the shelby cobras and man I love them. I have been doing my homework, I really like Factory five replicas ( something I may afford) Im in the budget of $30k-38k maybe 40k, dont have to be a showroom car i can be fixing it while i have it.
If you're patient, in your price range (and particularly if you go up a couple of grand to $40K +), you will eventually be able to find a deal you can live with in a more mainstream brand like an FFR MK IV or an older Unique Motorcars or Hurricane, etc.
As a basic guide, the conventionally desirable features in Cobra replicas that tend to impact desirability and value are:

*Accurate body shape with 90" wheelbase.
*Basically accurate interior layout and gauges
*Ford drivetrain
*Manual transmission

Some other features that are typical on higher value brands;

*Independent rear suspension
*True knock-off wheels

And at the top of the pecking order:

*Big Block FE (427/428) Ford engine (in 427 replicas)
* Correct round tube chassis
* Aluminum body

Other members may add or subtract but its a very simple basic guide.

One can go crazy chasing the "holy grail" of authenticity if that's your thing, but many, many others are very happy with a close enough interpretation powered by your choice of engine and transmission and even longer wheelbases for the taller drivers.
As said above, learn as much as you can, decide what matters to you and make an informed choice when you pull the trigger.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Tommy likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 09-10-2021, 09:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's a decent-looking Hurricane Cobra right here in the Club Cobra For Sale section:

It even has a Southern Automotive 428 FE dressed up to look like a 427 Side Oiler.

PhotoPost Classifieds - Hurricane Motorsports Cobra NJ Title/Reg - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 09-10-2021, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The above referenced replica looks like a respectable deal, if you're interested in a 428. (not for me). The one thing that would be a deal breaker, for me, is the top loader which are good transmissions, but if you want to do much highway cruising, you'll soon be wishing for a 5 or 6 speed transmission to go a long way in reducing RPMs at cruising speed. Just my 2¢ worth.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:01 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argenis83 View Post
As title say, i am looking for a shelby cobra on the 30k-40k budget, If you have any for sale please let me know
Don't. All this hobby will do is drain your wallet and then end up killing you when you put your Cobra in to the tree and the steering column puts a big fat hole through your chest. Do yourself a favor and buy a Corvette instead.
Alfa02 and bbbad2dabone like this.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley-408
Not Ranked     

If you didn't live in CA (most likely too far from Iowa) I heard of a guy that has one available, possibly in that price range. I was talking to a guy at a Ford showthat told me about this guy (I never met) has one. I do have his contact info if interested.I never talked to the owner and know nothing about the Cobra.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshoe View Post
I was talking to a guy ... that told me about this guy....
Reminds me of this SpongeBob clip.

Tommy likes this.
Old 09-10-2021, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Ford
Not Ranked     

I recently bought a FF MKII 347 5spd with in your budget , It needed minor work and its fun to drive and has not let me down , They are out there Be patient , Ed
Old 09-10-2021, 08:01 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Buzz, Good luck trying to track the guy in NJ down, I've emailed, PM'ed asked any and everyone if they knew how to contact the owner, nothing but Crickets. Cheers TommyRot
Old 09-11-2021, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Tom - that's too bad, but it's a good example of the type of Cobra that the OP may find with a little patience and a lot of looking.
It may not be an alloy-bodied Kirkham or a 50th Anniversary Shelby, but then it doesn't need to be because that's not what the buyer is looking for. What it is, is a nice looking car from a reputable manufacturer that will need a bit of TLC to get it up and running just right. Most importantly, it's within the stated budget.
Alfa02 likes this.

Old 09-11-2021, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlzEE Bebout View Post
The above referenced replica looks like a respectable deal, if you're interested in a 428. (not for me). The one thing that would be a deal breaker, for me, is the top loader which are good transmissions, but if you want to do much highway cruising, you'll soon be wishing for a 5 or 6 speed transmission to go a long way in reducing RPMs at cruising speed. Just my 2¢ worth.
Good point about the 4 speed Toploader, however almost all Cobra replica owners - especially those with higher end brands (not to mention owners of REAL Cobras) - made do with them for decades until Tremec rolled out the 3550 and TKO. A few opted for Richmond 5 speeds, but those had the same 1:1 top gear ratio.

The ad doesn't specify what the final drive ratio is but a 2000-odd pound Cobra (as opposed to a 2+ ton muscle car) doesn't need a 4:11 gear to pull hard out of the hole. A low 3 series ratio combined with enough torque from a strong V8 works just fine and can be tolerable at highway speeds. But it's still not quite like having that 6th gear overdrive to quiet things down on a long cruise. One more significant item to consider when shopping.

Old 09-11-2021, 05:23 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Don't. All this hobby will do is drain your wallet and then end up killing you when you put your Cobra in to the tree and the steering column puts a big fat hole through your chest. Do yourself a favor and buy a Corvette instead.
So what do you think about this one that sold for $34,000?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ing-cobra-4-2/

An FFR with a 302. Sure its not a big block and the wheels aren't my style, but that looks like it could be a fun not so expensive Cobra replica.

The only obvious thing that would concern me is the BF Goodrich tires. From hanging out on this forum for years, one of the few messages I have gotten is that those tires are dangerous on a Cobra replica. Your best bet seems to be Avon tires, but there are other less expensive tire choices as well.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:41 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This one sold for a bit over the 40K budget at $42,750.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...elby-cobra-34/

But that looks like a reasonable car.

Actually when I looked at the name of the winning bid, I was like no, it can't be. The name is NYCarGuy. And I thought, is that the name of the Nissan Leaf guy?

But no, I was just looking and that guy's name here was NewYorkGuy.
Old 09-11-2021, 06:07 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The danger with BaT and FFRs is that it's hard to tell the build quality from just a bunch of photos. The three areas that are particularly critical to safety (steering, suspension and brakes) usually require an in-person inspection. Now, if you're just going to drive the car slowly and gently it doesn't matter as much. If any of the other systems fail, at speed, then it's just going to be an inconvenience, not a life threatening event. If either of those two cars were put together by someone like me, when I was 17 years old and keeping my roadster on the road with coat hanger wire and duct tape (along with other moronic repairs), then they're potential death traps. OTOH, they could be nice basic well-built FFRs with Grade 8 bolts throughout -- you just can't tell from pics.
1ntCobra likes this.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

There’s a difference between a 30k car cobbled together with junkyard parts and a well built car that’s been rode hard and put up wet. One car is an unending money pit , the other can turn out to be a great car with some TLC. But yes, a 30k Cobra is not for the faint of heart. Keep looking, if you can double your budget you will be dollars ahead in the long run.
Patrick, you made me laugh, I rebuilt a 930 once that had the shifter held together with bailing wire!
twobjshelbys likes this.

Last edited by RUFdriver; 09-11-2021 at 09:40 AM..
Old 09-11-2021, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

OK, I'll put it another way. As others have mentioned, in this space, cheap usually means cheap although there can be exceptions. Don't buy a 30K car unless you get it inspected by a professional. For sure don't buy it sight unseen unless you personally know the history or it has block chain level tracking with individuals you trust. There are deals to be had but don't let first time buyer's enthusiasm get in the way of proper vetting of the car.

Good luck.
1ntCobra and RUFdriver like this.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-11-2021 at 12:14 PM..
Old 09-13-2021, 04:19 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
OK, I'll put it another way. As others have mentioned, in this space, cheap usually means cheap although there can be exceptions. Don't buy a 30K car unless you get it inspected by a professional. For sure don't buy it sight unseen unless you personally know the history or it has block chain level tracking with individuals you trust. There are deals to be had but don't let first time buyer's enthusiasm get in the way of proper vetting of the car.

Good luck.
Of course you would want to have a Cobra replica inspected by someone before buying it. In the case of buying one off a "Bring A Trailer" auction, you would be wise to be looking at something local enough to inspect in person and bring along another Cobra enthusiast who has worked on or built one of these. Or maybe consider one for sale in another area where you know another Cobra enthusiast who could look at it for you.

The OP mentioned a budget of 30K to 40K. In terms of pricing for some recently selling FFRs on "Bring A Trailer", it seems that 40K to 45K might get a nice looking car, but you should still get someone to look at it before bidding.

I don't see anything selling around 30K though. Now consider this car that sold for 37K:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ac-cobra-6/

That car looks scary to me. I wouldn't even bother asking another Cobra enthusiast to look at it for me.

30K doesn't seem realistic unless you want an unfinished project.