Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2021, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Need help picking steering wheel quick disconnect hub

My car is an early Contemporary Cobra. It has your typical Cobra style Moto Lita wheel, with a MG steering column as Contemporary delivered it. It's a bit tight getting into the car as the bottom of the wheel is tough to get my thighs under when getting in, it's kind of close to the seat cushion. Once in, the location of the seat and wheel seems perfect, so I don't want to do anything to try to raise the wheel or lower the seat. I really like the driving position as it is now.
In order to make it easier to get in and out I would like to put a quick release on the steering wheel hub. Can anyone recommend an available high quality quick release hub that will fit the Moto Lita as well as the MG column? The car isn't here with me, it's at the interior shop, so I can't measure diameter and spline on the steering column. I was hoping maybe one of ytou guys had done something similar and know what will work. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2021, 09:14 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
My car is an early Contemporary Cobra. It has your typical Cobra style Moto Lita wheel, with a MG steering column as Contemporary delivered it.
My QR hub from Bob P. at ERA is a work of art and goes with my MotoLita perfectly. Older ERAs used a Triumph column (which is at least on the same continent as MG) and the ERA-made columns are at least similar, kinda. One solution would be to switch out the entire column along with the QR hub. That would work nicely. I would estimate the all-in cost to be somewhere around a grand to maybe $1500, but it would be exactly what you want.. I will tell you that I was under the driver side of my dash just a couple of weeks ago and if I did not have the QR hub on there I'm not sure how I would have done it. If nobody comes up with a really easy plug and play QR for an MG/ML combo, then give Bob a call. It might be easier than I think.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Sweet is high quality and splines can be bolted to shaft....
Old 11-23-2021, 05:51 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

A really nice looking Sweet goes for a hundred bucks or so. The QR from ERA is listed at $850. Options list I might explore that Sweet option....
Old 11-23-2021, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate the info.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

767 Jockey,

Patrick's ERA model is simply the cleanest, well thought out and inconspicuous implementation I have ever seen, anywhere. It is pricey but it is exceptional.

If you are motivated and have some machinery available to you you can do a good approximation. You will need the drawing for your existing steering hub. Mine is an SPF and the drawing below is for an SPF. That may or may not represent how your hub looks.

The bolt pattern in the hub is Moto-Lita. If your steering wheel is not Moto-Lita you will need to get the bolt pattern for your wheel.

The quick Release hub is an NRG short height zero play Quick Release. The NRG part number is SRK-400 followed by two letters for the color code. A black unit, for example, would have the part number SRK-400BK.

The NRG style short height zero play Quick release can be purchased on eBay for about $80 less than the NRG units retail through distribution. This is the link to the eBay source =>https://www.ebay.com/itm/254427400111

This is the link to the NGR branded equivalent => https://getnrg.com/products/srk-400. I have bought both. The two are indistinguishable other than no logo on the eBay part.

You will machine your steering column hub down by the height of the quick release. and redrill the attaching holes to match the back side of the Quick Release gizmo. The top side of the quick release hub will bolt to your steering wheel. Moto Lita is not the bolt pattern so you will need to rotate it slightly and drill the Moto Lita pattern from the drawing I provided.

When you are done it will look like this;

A slightly different view with wheel off;

Another view with wheel off and visible;

And of course the Moto-Lita PCD (dimensioned in millimeters);

And the SPF version of the steering column hub (again in millimeters);

Enjoy,

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 11-23-2021 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 11-23-2021, 09:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Ed. You obviously put a lot of time and effort into all that and I greatly appreciate it. The biggest problem I have now is that the car isn't here with me just yet. I can't visualize how all that would fit together and look, as my column is very different than the column you show in your photos. You can see in your photo that the column rises up from the dash as a relatively thin column then bells out to a much larger diamter where it meets the wheel. Mine is narrow and stays that way all the way up to the wheel. It is (I believe) a MGB column that Contemporary supplied with all their kits at the time. I tried to attach a picture from the internet of what the MGB column looks like but for some reason this forum can't upload images the images right now, the upload keeps showing as failed.

My steering wheel is a genuine wood rimmed Moto Lita, but for the life of me I can't recall how they make the skinny column mount to the back of the large wheel hub diameter. Once I see that then it'll all make sense. Looking at the quick release hub you suggested, It would appear that the splined center shaft of the column would not mount to that hub using the splines and center nut, as there is no menton at all about spline count and diameter. I'm guessing that the part of the quick release hub that mounts to the column gets welded to the center shaft of the column? I suppose all of this will make more sense to me when I actually have the car here in hopefully a couple of weeks when it's finally released from interior shop prison. I've seen photos of it and it's coming out really nicely, I do occasionally get to go visit and see it when I'm in town and not working. The guy does really nice work. After all these years it'll be nice to have it finally done.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ah, I remember now. It uses either this or something very similar to mount my Moto Lita steering wheel to my MGB column. Hopefully this photo will upload.

EDIT: Ok, seeing how this picture upload finally worked, I guess I'd need to figure out how to get the quick release to mount to the face of this column to wheel hub as pictured. That's the part I guess I'm havng a hard time visualizing. Assuming I am correct that thhe quick release you showed fits between the steering wheel and this column to wheel adapter hub, how does the part of the quick release that stays in the car mount to this hub? I assume it bolts to the face of this hub, and if the bolt pattern doesn't match I could just redrill the correct pattern to the hub that is pictured here?
Attached Images

Last edited by 767Jockey; 11-23-2021 at 10:04 PM..
Old 11-24-2021, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

I believe I have a spare Superformance hub somewhere that’s for a Moto-Lita wheel. Contact me directly if interested.
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 11-24-2021, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Ah, I remember now. It uses either this or something very similar to mount my Moto Lita steering wheel to my MGB column. Hopefully this photo will upload.

EDIT: Ok, seeing how this picture upload finally worked, I guess I'd need to figure out how to get the quick release to mount to the face of this column to wheel hub as pictured. That's the part I guess I'm havng a hard time visualizing. Assuming I am correct that thhe quick release you showed fits between the steering wheel and this column to wheel adapter hub, how does the part of the quick release that stays in the car mount to this hub? I assume it bolts to the face of this hub, and if the bolt pattern doesn't match I could just redrill the correct pattern to the hub that is pictured here?
Nothing needs to be welded, everything is a bolt together deal.

The hub in your picture needs to be machined down by the thickness of the QR hub (about a half inch) to maintain original steering wheel location, if that is important to you. The portion of the QR hub that rests agains the original steering hub is then bolted to your mofdified hub. You will likely need to drill and tap new attaching holes.

The portion that is next to the steering wheel is bolted to the steering wheel. Again the QR hub does not have the Moto-Lita bolt pattern so you will need to add it for attachment purposes.

The two QR pieces engage with a rotary bayonet style of engagement with no slop in the connection. While driving the car you will not know you have a QR steering wheel and most eyes will not recognize the device for what it is.

The narrow column will represent more of a visual aesthetic offense than an operational problem. Worth noting, the QR hub is very close to the diameter of most steering hubs so it may not be particularly apparent in the finished condition.

Ed
Dominik likes this.

Old 11-24-2021, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

Are removable steering wheels legal everywhere for street cars?
Hopefully not another “Billboard” tires insurance related issue issue. Polycarbonate windshields are another questionable street use item I think. Also unfluted lenses on driving lights. (Lucas SLR576 “Flamethrowers”)
Blas

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net

Last edited by Blas; 11-24-2021 at 01:18 PM..
Old 11-24-2021, 01:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Here's a couple of photos that may help you out....

and

and

Old 11-24-2021, 01:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
I believe I have a spare Superformance hub somewhere that’s for a Moto-Lita wheel. Contact me directly if interested.
Blas
Thanks Blas, I appreciate the offer. After reading all the info below I think I get it now and have it covered.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Nothing needs to be welded, everything is a bolt together deal.

The hub in your picture needs to be machined down by the thickness of the QR hub (about a half inch) to maintain original steering wheel location, if that is important to you. The portion of the QR hub that rests agains the original steering hub is then bolted to your mofdified hub. You will likely need to drill and tap new attaching holes.

The portion that is next to the steering wheel is bolted to the steering wheel. Again the QR hub does not have the Moto-Lita bolt pattern so you will need to add it for attachment purposes.

The two QR pieces engage with a rotary bayonet style of engagement with no slop in the connection. While driving the car you will not know you have a QR steering wheel and most eyes will not recognize the device for what it is.

The narrow column will represent more of a visual aesthetic offense than an operational problem. Worth noting, the QR hub is very close to the diameter of most steering hubs so it may not be particularly apparent in the finished condition.

Ed
Thanks Ed, now it all makes perfect sense. I'll keep an eye on the eBay seller to see if he lists a black one in the next few days and if not I'll pick one up from the manufacturer. I appreciate all your help.
Old 11-24-2021, 01:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post

Here's a couple of photos that may help you out....

and

and

Thanks Morris, that setup looks good too. Hopefully I can get the thin QR hub that Ed taked about going, and if not I'll try to piece something together like you show.
Old 11-24-2021, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Ed, now it all makes perfect sense. I'll keep an eye on the eBay seller to see if he lists a black one in the next few days and if not I'll pick one up from the manufacturer. I appreciate all your help.
The eBay guy used to have them in black. Check out his store and ask him for black. He might just still have them.

Ed

Old 11-24-2021, 04:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I found what I think (?) is the same thing on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GW7CY...JZXXR0AJR7C54F
Old 11-24-2021, 04:44 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I found what I think (?) is the same thing on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07GW7CY...JZXXR0AJR7C54F
Anything that only costs $23.84 can't work.
Old 11-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The first review says: "...quality is absolute crap! I would never install this on a car. The metal is very poor quality and half the holes needed drilling to complete them. I would hope no one ever puts this on a car."
Old 11-24-2021, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was about to declare Winner! Winner! Chicken Dinner! but I noticed something missing.

There is a thumb grip on the easier to open and close versions. It looks like the one in the red circle in the pic below;

If you don't have it, these gems are impressively difficult to release to remove the steering wheel.

The release procedure is to place your thumb in the thumb rest, depress the release lock button (180˚ opposite) with your second index finger and twist counter clockwise a quarter turn. Then you can lift the wheel off.

Without the thumb grip you need impressively strong fingers to release the steering wheel.

The guys who offer the versions with the thumb grip add the princely sum of $10 to the selling price.

Ed

p.s. If you decide to go this way let me know and I will send you an XL speed sheet to help position any new fastener holes you need to create. If you give the spreadsheet the bolt circle diameter and the number of holes it will give you X/Y coordinates for each hole so you are dead on target. There is also an offset function, if you want to get fancy, that will allow you to offset all holes by what ever amount you need for proper alignment.

Last edited by eschaider; 11-24-2021 at 05:13 PM..