21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree93Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Anybody that would buy in to a Cobra replica manufacturing company is a moron.
Grubby likes this.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Classic Roadsters had 80 people working in the factory I was impressed it was cool.
It’s taking lots of time just to to chop, chrome and toast the hardtop.
The thing to do is develop a bolt in state of the art battery kit for let’s say the Classic Roadsters.
Sunman is Sunbelt Electronics TV Serviceman shortened.
I’ve been playing with electricity all my life.
800 ft lbs on, the tires and copilot screaming, Led Zep Immigrant Song pumping on the stereo holding on to the steering wheel in terror…
Sounds like fun.

Last edited by sunman; 09-02-2022 at 10:05 AM..
Old 09-02-2022, 10:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Hi Sunman, please don't take anything I say here personal, it not meant to be. As I loved my Classic Roadster (Being my first Cobra). If I were to buy a new Classic Roadster roller kit, exactly where would that come from? who makes them now?? The final nail in the coffin, for our Beloved Classic Roadsters, the piece of (using the nicest term I can) "Crap" Ryan Martiens put there, he promised the "Moon" and delivered JACK. His last "customer" was HighPlaindrifter (Perry) if you'd like to talk to him, I have his phone and Email, spend a couple hours listening what Perry thinks of Mr. Martiens. Look him up here on our site, Perry & I aren't the only one with that opinion, or better still see what the Canadian Govt. thinks of his business practices. Sometimes it's best to let things go quietly away. Again, no intent to hurt yours or anyone else's feeling. Cheers Tom.
Harpoon PV2 likes this.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I’m making a new style top with clips on the inside to eliminate the over 55mph gap above windshield problem. Drip rails of some sort are planed. The back window is now one piece and a vent to match the hood scoop is on the roof.
Moonroof if it fits and looks good.
If I like the way it looks I’ll sell it and make another.
Thats it for me.
Someone can buy the Classic 427 cheap like Robert bought the Sebring.
He’s shipping tops and hoods worldwide.
Bob Bennett said he would share the Excalibur chassis and jig prints. Photos are on Bob Bennett Coachworks.
The steel shop that bent the chassis main rails is still in business.
I’ve got every steel part needed to copy in boxes and all the factory shipping tickets.
I’m your age Tom all I wanna do is put a line lock on the left front brake and post YouTube videos doing donuts with my hands in the air…
With a EV West Tesla motor. Ya heard rite? 800 ft lb dammmm

Last edited by sunman; 09-02-2022 at 11:13 AM..
Old 09-02-2022, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Tommy has jumped on it. Both the Cobra building companies, and the custom engine builders that support them, are not necessarily marked for extinction, but they will be relegated to boutique status.
And the result will be attrition - in the end only a few will remain. Like I said, I even think Shelby American is at risk. Superformance will remain as will one or two of the "some assembly required" kit guys.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Alloy Shelby CSX 8057/Kirkham 1010, 289 Vintage Lykins Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
And the result will be attrition - in the end only a few will remain. Like I said, I even think Shelby American is at risk. Superformance will remain as will one or two of the "some assembly required" kit guys.
Why do you say Shelby American is at risk? They don't make replica (continuation) Cobras anymore. Only license them. Superformance/Shelby Legendary Cars is responsible for making Cobras.

Shelby American instead is concentrated on current model Shelby Mustangs and Shelby Trucks.

Superformance/Shelby Legendary, both headed/owned by Lance Stander, look to be quite solid compared to the rest of the Cobra replica suppliers. If any replica makers are left standing with the EV onslaught it will probably be them.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

One of my business professors commented that before the arrival of the horseless carriage, there were likely hundreds if not thousands of successful buggy whip manufacturers. Several decades later when it was down to less than ten, you can be sure that they were the very best buggy whip manufacturing companies ever. But even that wasn't good enough.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-02-2022, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I think we need more Government control ...

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
One of my business professors commented that before the arrival of the horseless carriage, there were likely hundreds if not thousands of successful buggy whip manufacturers. Several decades later when it was down to less than ten, you can be sure that they were the very best buggy whip manufacturing companies ever. But even that wasn't good enough.
I think Buggy Whips are a poor example, https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...iABEgLIUfD_BwE it is still a thriving business! Cheers, Dennis
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
So, you bought a car from a moron. I'm sure Bob appreciates that sentiment.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five
Not Ranked     

If for nothing more than continuing to highlight my specific issue that I’ve posted before:

Considering the recent annual $1500 vehicle property tax hike levied on my Factory Five, I would favor buying a vintage car over a replica if I had to make the choice today. CT provides no tax protection for replicas, but does for vintage vehicles. The towns can assess a replica at whatever they want, and my town did.

Prospective replica buyers need to consider this in the total ownership costs, at least if you live in (Middletown) CT.

If you live in Connecticut, you need to read this thread on registration and taxation BEFORE purchasing a replica:
http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/regi...re-beware.html
Old 09-03-2022, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Elections matter. Issues matter. Voting matters. Choose wisely. Eventually we get the government we deserve.
RAZOR, ERA174, Grubby and 1 others like this.

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yes, that's partly true. I'll make a subtle correction:

Anybody that would buy in to a Cobra replica manufacturing company with the belief that it will be a profitable long term business is a moron.

Sure, someone could ressurect Classic (although the history makes that really difficult to overcome, having totally flushed all goodwill - it's only worth the value of the parts, and those parts have no value as noone is going to start up a new Cobra business). Any piece of this that continues is a hobby business.

If someone picks up EM and continues to operate it it will be because it is a passion and it'll operate under "hobby business" rules of profitability. It won't be a multi-generational concern. As will ultimately be the fate of some of the current manufacturers as their ownership wants to wind down their personal involvement.

As to the original question, "What is the future of the Cobra Replica Industry?" the answer is, sorry to say, pretty bleak... I would agree that "boutique" is a pretty applicable term.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:52 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I would agree that "boutique" is a pretty applicable term.
It's like purchasing a Dress Shop for your wife and daughter to run. It may end up being an overall positive experience, but it'll never make money.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Some of us are buying up factory moulds just because we want to.
All of the Classic Roadsters Sebring moulds are in Oregon and I’ve got the top for the Classic 427.
I’ve also got the moulds for the standard dash, the small reinforcement pieces and the rear wheel inner shields.
In the future nobody will remember Ryan.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:02 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
Other than he couldn't keep his dress shop up and running.
sunman and Alfa02 like this.
Old 09-03-2022, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post

Many people are doing their best to forget Ryan.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 09-03-2022, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am looking into it, I may have to rethink it though I wouldn't want that stigma.
Old 09-05-2022, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think for many of us that are trying to hold on to our youthful memories with cars that we loved the future for them is academic. We'll age out of driving before these cars are swept away. I thought this was a very interesting video on electrifying classics:https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...electric-video but it does make me sad to see the sights of an engine compartment, the sounds and smells of the cars torn from those cars. I'll stick with my old school stuff, but I'm not going to try to control what anyone does with them after I'm done.
Buzz and JTMCOBRA like this.

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Old 09-05-2022, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I would agree that "boutique" is a pretty applicable term.
That is kind of funny, since AC was known as the "Savile Row" of automobiles! Of course, Derek and Dennis Hurlock were incredibly wealthy, and AC was just a hobby! Cheers, Dennis