Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 10:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Excaliber/Ernie,

I feel fortunate to have the car that I do. I would also feel fortunate to own a CSX Cobra as well.

I can also assure you that my satisfaction with either car would not be enhanced one bit by putting down what other people owned and drove.

But that’s me.

I did not make ANY comment about the general attitude of “real” Cobra owners. Like Gary's states above, most of the Cobra owners, real and fake alike, are genuine, nice folks who share a common passion.

I did even comment on my opinion of the value of the 40th anniversary Cobra in question. All I said let was let the market decide.

However, some have questioned its value. Mark Roe has been as critical as anyone on this thread regarding the asking price for this car, AND HE HAPPENS TO OWN A 40th ANNIVERSARY COBRA!

Speaking of being critical, I wonder who said this?

“145K???? No way in this market will bring that. The auction will CLOSE without a SINGLE bid!”

hummmm.............
Old 05-07-2003, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SHELBY GT500...slightly modified. Former owner of CSX4758..a GEM of a ride!
Not Ranked     

Evan.....I'm not talking behind your back. I'm just saying I have read some interesting posts over on Cobra Net when it was active. Might still be as I haven't been there lately. You are the one that they are speaking of as in a bright yellow ERA are'nt you.

Is that what you called your ERA.....it's just a great car. Myself along with ANYONE that walks up to look calls it a Cobra to which I respond that's it's a replica....end of story. Funny thing...when we were at Carroll's ranch a couple of months ago he even called our replicas....Cobras.

Hey...I love them ALL and could care less if it's REAL or NOT. With what Carroll is putting his name with nowdays who knows...Cobras, Eleanors, Guitars.........All I know is that my replica chili is better than his original and if you're ever in Texas you would be more than welcome at my place cause your a car guy and a Cobra guy and that's all that matters to me. Long live the 427SO....yes it's real...and I have one!

Gary
Old 05-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

GaryMorris: I didn't say or imply you were talking behind my back. Yes. I had a yellow ERA. It was awesome. I know who you are talking about over at the other site though. That was years ago. Unless they are still talking behind my back. I rarely go to the CobraNet site. Have 0 interest in that site or the personalities there.

As to the cars. It does get my dander up a little when guys clearly look to knock what someone else has. I just return fire. I can also play very nice too.

As to the chilli, I'd love to try your replica Chilli. I'm sure its great.

I agree with you 100%. Whats really important is your love for the Cobra and a fan of its history. Its not important at all what brand you drive. Thats something we both agree on.

And yes. You are right. The 427SO is King!

Old 05-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

427SO is King? Oh come on, eveyone knows there's nothing better than a well tuned 428 PI. (this should be good)

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

The auction has ended... no bids on this particular car (remember, that's what the thread was about - will it bring/exceed the reserve?).

This market has spoken, (for now anyway).
Old 05-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

428PIs are Queen.

Do you think a well researched appraisal is a good indicator of value?
Old 05-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Hoosier Gashole Emeritus
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Red face

Evan,
Once again you've experienced a cerebral infarct with the statement: "I've seen guys asking close to $65 $70 for a SPF. Gimme a break. The CSX and SPF aren't in the same league."

Clarify, clarify, clarify counselor.. Are you talking alloy verses fiberglass or fit and finish? Certainly if you're talking initial investment, the CSX and SPF aren't even close but in "other" aspects, the ice gets very thin. Come over when you're at the DV Spring Fling and we'll place both side by side!

"In debates on ethically contentious issues, it is never wise nor polite to deride or belittle another person's delusion."
Old 05-07-2003, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2180, second one, Roush 427, first one SPF 746, 514 Big Block Strocker
Not Ranked     

427So good motor but the 427Cammer is the king.

100k+ for an alloy roller????
Old 05-07-2003, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     
Talking

Hold on now, I am tired of Turk and others who claim the aluminum CSX blocks are not side oilers. Look at the post below from Mike a qualified engine builder. The blocks are side oilers and are not crap found in old boats or were originally rejected by Ford. Once again a true CSX 4000 car must have the CSX block in order to be "Real" and original for this time period. Ok, I will not stand behind the last sentence.

Allan

"The Shelby 427 (427) IS an FE block. Just as much as Edelbrock heads and manifolds, Blue Thunder manifolds and valve covers, Erson or Dove rockers, etc. are FE. They just don't happen to be cast at a Dearborn Foundry in the 1960s. All of the above mentioned parts are direct (more or less) replacement for stock Ford FE parts.

I would be hanging with a REALLY tough crowd if I have to explain to them why I used a Shelby block!

BTW, my Shelby block is a "side oiler". The main oil galley runs next to the side of the camshaft!
As for the 390/428 FEs, they are good engines but I have sonic checked enough of both to know that they can be just as thin as 427 blocks.
The biggest drawback to a 390 block, and somewhat to the 428 block is the size of the cylinder bores.
While it is true that with the new Scat stoker cranks you can build a 433 ci 390, the bore is too small and the stroke too long unless you want a low rpm truck motor for towing.
The 390 has a bore that equals a .050 289 small block! (4.050)
A bore that small totally limits the valve sizing to a max of 2.09/ 1.66. If one trys bigger valves the cylinder shrouds the valves and actually makes less power. The main reason the 427 block is so desirable for making big power is the larger (4.23) bore. I realize not everyone needs a 550 hp FE and a 390 is more than capable of making respectable Cobra horsepower. But, if you do spend the big bucks for a 427 based engine, you're getting much more than just being "flashy". There ain't a 390 or 428 made that will outrun a 427 if both are properly built using the same quality components.
I cannot imagine why people are willing to pay the ridiculous prices ($5000, 6000, 7000!) for NOS side oiler blocks especially when most of them are service blocks that never were actually avaliable in a car from the factory. I could see if someone found a NOS PRODUCTION block and was restoring a R model Failane, GTE Cougar, R model Galaxie, Cobra or some other ORIGINAL 427 powered car,but to pay that much for a replica, CSX 4000, Kirkham etc. is kind of silly considering the Shelby 427 block is readily available and Genesis is just starting to fill production orderes for their 427 blocks.
As far as 'originality's sake', none of these cars are original.
Sorry guys. If the issue of orignality is to be contended, try taking your CSX 4000 or Kirkham to the Pebble Beach Concours or the next vintage car race at Laguna Seca and tell the people at the gate your car is original.
They will politely show you where the general parking lot is.
Of course, those cars are a lot more "original" than my So. African plastic car!
--Mike"
Old 05-07-2003, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

I saw a deer the other day......
Old 05-07-2003, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by REAL 1

Whats a new Vette today? $50,000+? New Cobra=$100K+. Everything still seems in relative proportion to me. Whats the problem? You guys want a Shelby for SPF/Shell Valley or Hunter Prices? Don't blame ya but I don't think its gonna happen. [/b]

Not really sure that everything still seems in relative proportion...
A 64 Vette and a 64 Cobra were probably not too far apart technically at the time... The Cobra has basically remained the same while the Corvette has evolved to meet government requirements(air bags, pollution control, crash tests, fuel economy,seat belts, etc.) The Cobras have managed to avoid about $12K worth of add ons required on every other car being manufactured. ( I just made up the $12K figure, it sounded good at the time)

Anyone have any thoughts about what will happen if SAI goes under....Will prices go up on built cars or go the opposite direction?
Old 05-07-2003, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR SLC, Graziano 6-spd, LS3
Not Ranked     

SAI go under? No way! I mean, with their vast understanding of economics? If your demand is down, raise prices - the law of supply and demand . If that doesn't work, take any product, from guitars to toilet paper, put "Shelby" on it, and double the price.
Old 05-07-2003, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Allan A

As far as 'originality's sake', none of these cars are original.
Sorry guys. If the issue of orignality is to be contended, try taking your CSX 4000 or Kirkham to the Pebble Beach Concours or the next vintage car race at Laguna Seca and tell the people at the gate your car is original.
They will politely show you where the general parking lot is.
Of course, those cars are a lot more "original" than my So. African plastic car!
--Mike"
[/b]
SAAC defines:

CSX 2000 etc. cars as "original";

CSX 4000 etc. cars as "authentic".

When CS and/or SAI go under, my guess is that both original and authentic will go up, but original will go up more. Maybe not. 1957 Testarossa's went up, but 1980 328's didn't go up much, and only temporarily. But, a 328 is not a very desirable car. Not very fast compared to current standards (Cobras still are), and not too attractive a shape (Cobras are). Just a guess (and a hope).
Old 05-07-2003, 06:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     
Default anniversary cobra

I really dont understand the hoopla on this car,,it is straight up first of all,I got a brochure in the mail and I to think it is a little much,,ugly all over it,,,or ,I assume the stripes were the choice of the dealer,,who is a Shelby dealer I believe,the 80k was only the min bid of course,,and it is a 62 because it is to commemorate the 40th ann. of the shelby cobra,,not the 427 cobra,it just happens to be a 427 I suppose since it is more popular,,and who would know about cobras,,and not know about the all aluminium shelby 427 ?someone will buy the car,,it isnt my taste,,but there are lots of people with more money than the aforementioned,,I do love you arm chair cowboys though,,,:}~ Tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 05-07-2003, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4039 427 FE 1966- SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Re: anniversary cobra

[quote]Originally posted by misfit41

[b]I really dont understand the hoopla on this car

I agree. It won't bring much, if any more than the usual SAI cars over time, if "special" anniversary limited edition, or pace car Corvette's are any indication...
and IMO adding the aftermarket stripes was a mistake, resale-wise. It is now a "Swoose". (Not a swan, and not a goose).
Old 05-07-2003, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

maybe the vette and the cobra were simular in technology,,,but the cobra was a race car made steet legal,the vettes were a street car that was often made into a racer,,thats the difference,,the vette is actually a pretty friendly car,,as much as they make my heart pound,,the cobra will never be ,{friendly}
the loop hole is that cobras are titled as 66 models,and they still cost 100k ? without emissions or dot ?wow,,talk about profit margin,,but I suppose low volume makes up for it,, I agree that only the first 330 or so cars,,3000's are legit,,all the rest are replicas,some better than others,but copies,
I read a while back lots of guys bashing CS over the replica trade mark law suit,,someone said all he did was put a big motor in a small car,,CS was/is an ICON,,he did what every one else dreamed about,,and made it work,,he is the fuel for all of our dreams,,otherwise we wouldnt be on this site,,hell the site wouldnt exsist,,I urge anyone who hasnt get a cobra registry and read it cover to cover,,it gave me a new appreciation for the car and mostly the man,{explains the lawsuit too},CS was the ****,,still is,,I think he should get paid,,and he is correct in saying most of these cars are embarrassments in comparison,,mine most definately included,,we're all fakers,no different from a fake rolex,like i said,,some are better than others,,but I would sure hate to give my fake up,,so,,lets get on our knees and wave our arms now to the shelby GOD,,and not forget our maker,,,IMHO,,Tk

Old 05-07-2003, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default anniversary cobra

I really dont understand the hoopla on this car,,it is straight up first of all,I got a brochure in the mail and I to think it is a little much,,ugly all over it,,,or ,I assume the stripes were the choice of the dealer,,who is a Shelby dealer I believe,the 80k was only the min bid of course,,and it is a 62 because it is to commemorate the 40th ann. of the shelby cobra,,not the 427 cobra,it just happens to be a 427 I suppose since it is more popular,,and who would know about cobras,,and not know about the all aluminium shelby 427 ?someone will buy the car,,it isnt my taste,,but there are lots of people with more money than the aforementioned,,I do love you arm chair cowboys though,,,:}~ Tk

Old 05-07-2003, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

Marko,
Whether the car is a 40th. Anniversary or not. Shelby Registry records will tell the buyer what it is

TURK
This car is has not been registered with SAAC.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4285, Shelby aluminum block 427, 40th Anniversary Model # 5
Not Ranked     
Default 40th Ann Car

OK guys--

This was my original complaint----

1) Automatic trans--but I didn't read further that it is a four speed top loader--an original--a good thing.

2) The strpies---these ARE NOT part of the original 40th Ann. offerings---they put this car in the class of other CSX's--great cars but not true to the 40th Ann. model. Though it does have all the other goodies that a 40th Ann model has--the stripes--IMHO--does it in as a collectable 40th Ann model.

So, I'll stick with my original view--$145k for something that is NOT a 40th Ann. offering in its ORIGINAL (without stripes) form will not (IMHO) be worth this sum..............

Mark
Old 05-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

misfit41

Any chance of at least one complete sentence? Just for sh!ts and giggles, you understand.