LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2003, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

KevinR,
Neither is mine registered with SAAC. I don't believe you have to register a car with SAAC for the manufacturer to be able to tell what a car is or isn't.

I bet the folks at SAI can tell you if a car is Anniversary Model or not, they are compiling data for the new registry, and have information on every car they built.

TURK

TURK
Old 05-07-2003, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Misfit41,
Most of us don't understand the hoopla about anyone else's passions.
Some in here are probably giggling over your use of a 9" Ford rear end. They don't say much about things like that fearing offending you and others who chose that as a viable alternative to your drive train.

Can't you be a little more charitable to Mark and others who have paid a handsome price for a handsome car that will forever have only 39 more like it?

TURK
Old 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Allan A,
Go to your room.
Mike is more knowledgable than I and many others on the subject of engines. If he says the CSX Aluminum block is a side oiler, then it must be.

It was my understanding,the aluminum blocks were cast not so. I stand corrected if Mike or others say the CSX blocks are sideoilers.

Then there are the SIDE OILERS. We know what we mean by that, don't we?
Boat anchors, service blocks, Old Iron, deadweights and so on... They are still SIDEOILERS.

TURK
Old 05-08-2003, 12:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Marco,
I never said the car is not worth the asking price. I am in the business, I don't even know what the cars in my inventory are worth from day to day. I know we sell some for far more than they are worth and some for less. Ners should what a car sells for should be confused with what a car is worth.

AN Anniversay Model Shelby Cobra may very well be worth that and more. If it does sell for $145,000 it may still be worth that and more. It just didn't sell.

By the way, Welcome to Club Cobra. I try not to make any derogottary statements about other people's cars. We all love what we got. My questions were merely about the accuracy of claims of an Aluminum Sideoiler.

I realize Genesis had one on the drawing boards, and they may or may not have built some. I still maintain, my limited knowledge of engines rules out Aluminum Sideoilers.
However I stand corrected if there is indeed such an animal.

Enjoy your stay.

TURK
Old 05-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Traveller

....sorry for blasting you so hard, my tone was uncalled and perhpas should not have been directed at you personally.

Heck, I don't even own a CSX car, but I been around Club Cobra long enough to be "real" sensitive when I think someone is putting them or their owners down in some way. OK, maybe it's not "my fight", but I am very passionate about Cobras, ALL Cobras.

I do a little "investing" as a "hobby", on various things. Mostly things I like or find interesting. I study the Cobra re-sale market VERY CLOSELY, I'm pretty sure much closer than the "average" Cobra owner. I have "money" in this "market" if you will.

My thought that this car would not bring a SINGLE bid was right on target! Doesn't mean a thing about the cars potential "worth" now or in the future. E-bay is not something I take "seriously" as setting a "value" on high end cars. It's just not "reliable" enough for my "forecasts" in this area, in my opinion.

I understand where Turk is coming from with the 427 SO iron vs aluminum thing. And regardless of wether or not the "new" alloy block is an SO, I think it is STLL misleading to call it that. Kind of like calling a Kirkham a "real" Cobra,,,,oh so close,,,but NOT "really".

NO QUESTION in my mind when SHELBY is done with a Kirkham, it IS a "Cobra" in every sense of the word!

...and I like a "stripe" on a Cobra, gives it some "flash". I wouldn't want one without it myself. As to how it affects "value" on the anniversery model,,,,hmmmm,,,,maybe it will, maybe it won't. Depends on the buyer I guess. It's STILL an anniversary edition. Does THAT make it worth more? Yeah, the question is, how much more and in WHAT market? Hard to say.

Ernie
Old 05-08-2003, 12:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4141
Not Ranked     

Turk,

Your above post to Kevin R.

I bet the folks at SAI can tell you if a car is Anniversary Model or not, they are compiling data for the new registry, and have information on every car they built.

You really need to get your new baby registered with SAAC. I think you'll find that Kevin R. is the one that is compiling and documenting all the CSX4000 series cars for the SAAC Registry. Uh Oh..........Better start sucking up now.....if you want that entire page dedication.

- Bill -

PS> How is your car coming along??
Old 05-08-2003, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hope to have it all buttoned up this weekend!!
Engine is in place and running and sounding good.
As soon as we address some exhaust leaks, it will be time to re-hang the doors, hood, windshield on and bleed the brakes and clutch and take it out for a spin.

I have my fingers crossed.

I think they probably would prefer my name did not appear anywhere in the Registry.

TURK
Old 05-08-2003, 12:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

.....well,,,,maybe they will have a "Gashole" section on the back cover...like "The End". BIG pic of Jamo mooning Turks car. LOL

Ernie
Old 05-08-2003, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you Turk for the welcome,

I wanted to fill you guys in on a little history behind this car. From what I was told this car got it stripes due to the close relationship with who ordered this car. It will be listed in the Registry as a 40th. Anniversary Car. The owner of this car has a vast collection of Shelby classics, and trust me, no shortcuts or budget restrictions on this project. Total number for this 40th car will be 40, this number will be comprised of both Glass Body 289s and Aluminum 427s. The engine and drivetrain were added to the car by Sanderson Sales & Marketing. I will post more info on the car and engine if you guys are interested. I have lots of docs & pictures on this car including engine assembly and finished product.

I will tell you one thing, every time I have the opportunity to hear this car fire-up, I envy all you Cobra owners.

Marko
Old 05-08-2003, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Good Morning to all,,
Turk i didnt intend a dig to anyone,and truthfully didnt notice that Mark owned an anniversary model,,so no offense meant,,it's a great car no matter what color it is.it just seems everyone is cocked and ready to point a finger or ditch someone,maybe I was the same way last night.
I truely like my 9" ford,,my friends car broke the spf ford units like candy,my motor is much strongerthan his, it sits well,,hooks hard,and goes straight,also bullet proof and easy gear change,,thats what i like ,I dont road race,so it works for me,,but to each his own.
The shelby alloy block is most definately a side oiler in the finest form,it is also drilled and plugged for a dry sump,I put one together for a friend here,it's even a better,stronger block than the dove,btw,has anyone seen a genesis yet ?did they actually produce one ?
My intent here is to relay my own thoughts,many times in response to those relayed by other members,forgive me my literary short comings, as content,not context ,is my ultimate goal. {that could well be the only complete sentence you will see from me}
happy hunting,,tk

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 05-08-2003, 05:27 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

The value of anything is set by the market, and the market is just a snapshot in time, i.e it's constantly changing. Turk is right, (as usual), price has very little - if anything to do with cost. Ultimately, what something is worth is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

For a buyer who has $$$ and absolutely has to have a Shelby and doesn't want to wait for it... this car may have been a bargain at the reserve price - or more. For the serious collector, it seems like this car may have had some alterations which would lower its value (don't really know this - just assuming it from reading the earlier posts; stripes, engine, etc.)

In my opinion, ebay is as accurate as anything else going, probably brings the largest quantity of buyers to an auction, although I would expect that for a relatively high-buck car like this, a prospective buyer would probably either send a broker to inspect/appraise the car or do it himself, and then buy it through a private sale.

Evan, I agree that a qualified appraiser is probably one of the best ways to set a value, but my experience has been that it depends who the appraiser is working for; the seller or the buyer... and usually the first question they ask is "How much do you want it to be worth?"

Seems like overall, in this economy, with the large number of Cobra replica's out there, that the market is getting pulled down. Maybe ol'Shel had it right, the value of his cars are being diluted by the replica market.

ON the other hand, one of the big time auctioneers, (think it was Rick Cole), said about car collecting; "You never pay to much for a car, but sometimes you just buy too early."

Sorry, just rambling - have'nt had my coffee yet.

- Dan

Last edited by Dan Stryffeler; 05-08-2003 at 05:33 AM..
Old 05-08-2003, 06:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via ICQ to Trans-Am Jim
Not Ranked     

According to the FE forum, Genesis AL blocks will start shipping the end of May.
I know we've all heard that one before.
We'll see. . .
Old 05-08-2003, 08:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree totally Dan,
I have been in the Auto and Harley sales fields all my life,,any thing is worth what you can get CASH in 24 hrs,I hear over and over,,BUT it is appraised for,,it books for,,books mean nearly nothing to the buyer or seller,,market dictates everything,the only way to know ,is put it up for bid,no reserve,I use ebay a lot as an apprasial tool,since I need everything in inventory at or below true cash value,and thats as close as it gets,funny thing is all most nothing we own is really worth what we think it is,,and tomorrow it could change dependent on many things,,an old saying in the car Biz,"there is an ass for every seat" doesnt fit here,,but I dig saying it,,haha
I will be anxious to see how the 40th cars do,as a long time gun,knive collector and trader,the golden rule is,,any thing that says "collectible" never is,,so far thats true with cars as well,,we will see,,
my thoughts,,Tim

Old 05-08-2003, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Turk

[b]KevinR,
Neither is mine registered with SAAC. I don't believe you have to register a car with SAAC for the manufacturer to be able to tell what a car is or isn't.

TURK
SAI is one of several source's for the registry. The registry is a SAAC document rather than an SAI document. SAI may or may not have complete data or ownership info on a specific car. They are trying to collect that data for their records. However, if those records don't make it to SAAC, then the registry will only show a car number with all other data left blank, since they are not the creator or owner of the registry. SAI is working with SAAC to help complete the data bank, but they can only supply what they know left the factory (including any special editons or options supplied by SAI).

SAI will have the data on each car as it left SAI. However, they may not have the data on the car as completed by a dealer or individual owner.

Btw, your requested form is in the mail.

Bill, thanks.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just a quick observation. Seems to me that:

-SAI, Kirkham, ERA, and SPF owners as a group respect others and their cars. They have a ton of cash invested in their cars and they are very secure in their decisions.

-Many of the negative posts directed towards SAI are from garage builders who think anyone who chooses to invest a large sum into a quality Shelby product is an idiot. They believe they can do a better job themselves for far less. In rare cases where ability and desire meet these guys end up with fantastic cars. In most cases their cars look and drive "home made" and they have double the $$$ invested in their cars than they tell anyone.

Evan, Turk and the other SAI guys don't go out of their way rip on others but many others love to rip on SAI. Guys rip on Evan and others for investing their hard earned $$$ into a fantastic SAI 427 Cobra and see nothing wrong with it. Let's start a post -"HUNTER FOR $30K?" and then start stating the reasons it is really on worth $20K.

Like it or not SAI products are worth more! Lots of car guys and collectors view 4000 series COBRAS as COBRAS and everything else as a KIT CAR!
Old 05-08-2003, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I need to turn off my email notification,,other wise i may get nothing done today,,hehe
i agree with you HIQ,,although i didnt see anyone getting blasted for having a csx car,but on the same token,,some of the high priced owners can be a bit arroggant too,,no doubt you can build a cobra for under 20k,if thats what you want,,ok,,but if u get it too look close to right,,you will have 40 to 50 in it,,good stuff adds up,snd there is no free ride,,
I still think the only REAL cobra is a 65-67 csx3000,the rest are replicas,some by SAI ,some by others,,I say this in taking nothing away from anyone,,it is just plain truth,no longer do the little ace bodies come across the ocean to southern california to become cobras,I will never spend 135k for any car,,even though I could maybe swing it,taking nothing away from those who do,the guy who scrapes knuckles,scrounges junk yards,and works in a hot garage at nights is the true meaning of street rods,grass roots,I think there is more charactor there,if I didnt build it,,or at least remodel it,,I would just as soon drive my humble Avalon,,
I dig hot rodders,,the same guys who called them rednecks years ago,,are now spending a mint to buy what the true rodders always had,,on a weekly pay check,,works the same with cobras,,
custom bikes,and about everything else,,big money and billet aluminum ruins the meaning to a point,not to say,,everyone isnt entitled,I say we just all pay homage to the sport,,and just get a long,it's all good,,Tim
now I realy am going to work,,

Old 05-08-2003, 09:48 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Where the heck have I been!

I am really slacking. How did I let this one go for so long

I would love to be in a position to buy a CSX. Doubt I would buy an original unless it was purely as an investment. I would be to afraid some thing would happen to the car. Once its gone, its gone. A new CSX, order another so if I was going to buy a Shelby, that is the route I would go.

But since I am not in the position to buy a CSX (just can't afford it!) I will make do with my old Unique

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 05-08-2003, 09:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

rdorman,
I would love to have your Unique! I am a young guy with a young family that does not leave me the $$$ to spend on a Cobra at this time. I just find it ironic that starting a post SLAMMING the value of SAI cars is accepted by most here at CC.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I missed the csx bashing thing,,all i saw was someone questioning whether one on ebay was authentic,I havent seen any one ditch them in any way,I too love the csx cars and the kirkhams,,taking nothing away,,I do think some built cars are as good,,but most for sure arent,,mine included,,
it's all good,,Tim

Old 05-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

HIQ,

I'm not saying one car is worth more than another, or better/worse, or any of the other hundred arguments that get played out here on Club Cobra... all I was saying is that worth is only really determined when a buyer and seller agree on a price; - that - is the market value for - that - product at - that - point in time.

We can all argue all day about what a car should fetch compared to a different car, but it's all kinda meaningless. As long as that person is satisfied with the deal, then they are doing pretty good in my book.

For my purposes; worth=value=dollars - they all mean the same thing, at least in the context of this thread... remember the topic was "will this car bring this price?" it wasn't; "is somebody paying too much or too little for their cars?"

Any other value, (other than dollars), we put on 'stuff' is purely subjective. I've got more cash in my car than I should, largely because of bad decisions I made while building it. What's it worth to a buyer? who knows - compared to a SPF, ERA or Shelby (all three of which I love btw) probably not much. If you are talking pride and/or sweat equity, I can't put a price on the car.

In terms of rarity, I should score pretty well considering there's about 3 of us in Club Cobra that have Everett-Morrison's (just kidding, actually I think there are 4)

- Thanks for listening to my rant

Dan