Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2003, 09:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

CobraEd/Turk-
You both may be right. Turk, if this sale is true, I would think that your car would be worth more in 10 years than a CSX that was sold post- FF5 buying out CSX because it will be one of the last with the royal blood line, if you will. To CobraEd's point, maybe post FF5 sale CSX's will be worth less in the future than current CSXs. Maybe there will be the CSX image will be "tarnished" somehwat or not quite worth the markup that it was before because CS is not at the helm, who knows? Are Jaguars worth less now that Ford took over?

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-21-2003, 09:53 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

I think you have all missed the point.

The REAL reason for any overture like this is the acquisition of the coveted Series 1.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CobraEd,
In reply to your question about more Cobra videos...The only one I'm working on right now is the redo of the FFR marketing video. I had finished it, sent it to Dave Smith for approval, and he promptly sent it back and I was told to hang on to it because there were going to be some "additional changes real soon". I guess I now know what that means.

As for any other videos, I'm still tying to produce a "how to build a FFR" DVD series but that will now have to wait until all the dust settles.

Cheers
Jim
Old 05-21-2003, 10:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Yeah, the real value of the purchase would be the Series I, (hee, hee, snicker, hah, hah, hah)

Thanks, I needed that !

Hey, whatever happens or doesn't happen... these guys bought some great cars (Cobras) built and endorsed by the man himself. Hope they enjoy'em and especially drive'em - looking forward to seeing a bunch of SAI Cobra's at the Spring Fling! From what I've read over the years on these threads, I don't think any of the Shelby buyers would give a hoot if their cars went up or down in value - they are very special to the owners.

- Dan
Old 05-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

I think the second missed point is that Kirkham supplies the bodies to SAI. Where do they stand in a post FFR/SAI world?
Old 05-21-2003, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP/427co
Send a message via AIM to shaps Send a message via MSN to shaps
Not Ranked     

CalMetal,
think you meant Kirkham supplies the ALLOY bodies. Doesn't SAI make their own Fiberglass bodies?

But an important question, however.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Cal-
That's a good question. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't FFR have an aluminum bodied car at Carlisle last year? Maybe FFR will make their own aluminum bodies. Maybe Kirkham's will have to sell aluminums to ERA

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 05-21-2003, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Ron,

"...coveted Series 1."

Oh, yeah .... riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!

Who is John Galt?
Old 05-21-2003, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Depends on what is actually sold I imagine, on how things look a couple of years hence...

Is the "Shelby" name being sold?
Is the "CSX" nominclature being sold? If so, will FFR be able to go back into the 2000 series, or 3000 series of numbers?
Is "Cobra" licensed name being sold; will it survive the agreement upon change in ownership?

Would like to see more details on the SAI balance sheet...assets may be little more than leasehold improvements which in actual fact will be pretty worthless PLUS the value of the trademarks/tradenames. Liabilities could be notes payable to Venture...would the transaction include assumption of liabilities?

Good Luck to FFR if they go through with this.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

Remember that when Ford bought Jaguar, the scenario was totaly different. A Jaguar is a way upscale car and far better than Ford. So if they keep making them true to form, Jaguar will remail a viable assett and remain always a Jaguar.

With the SAI cars relative to the rest of the replica industry, the SAI cars are no better than any of the others cars. Superformance, ERA, kirkham etc. The only thing that made the SAI cars stand out was the name and the legacy behind the name. Hell, Evan has been arguing that point for years. So if the association with the name and history is lost then the only point that differetiates the car from every other car is lost.
________
Old 05-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Chaplin

Cal-
That's a good question. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't FFR have an aluminum bodied car at Carlisle last year? Maybe FFR will make their own aluminum bodies. Maybe Kirkham's will have to sell aluminums to ERA
FFR showed a prototype of an FFR chassis, fitted with an aluminum skin from Kirkham. They subsequently found the effort to do this upgrade would exceed the target price, and "canned" the project. The prototype was sold to a fellow in Florida.

This was well before the recent offering from Kirkham of the body skin, plus the subframe... they had just purchased the skins.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

The argument that Jags arent worth less now that Ford took over doesnt hold water. The mystique lies on one mans shoulders...one man. Not a company name. Who is gonna sign the glovebox after he is gone.

My guess is that csx4xxx will go up in value after CS goes to racing heaven, and if FFR makes a FFR5xxx they will never command the same price as any csx.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I used to fix them for a living
Not Ranked     

One big difference in their respective values is originality. The more original a cobra replica is, the more it is worth. The car with the FE will be worth more than the small block version of the exact same car. The CSX cars are built darn near exactly like the originals, down to the base components of the car. That will be worth more money than a cobra that has been redesigned to use more modern parts such as from a mustang or T-bird. Even when the performance of the modernized version is superior, the original style versions are more valuable at the time of sale. This is a generality, there are exceptions, and having Shelby's name attached to a replica certainly doens't hurt it's perceived value at the time of sale.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

I suspect that if it is true that the CSX 4XXX cars will increase in value.

FFR is according to what others are saying on the other sites, supposedly, again would be acquiring just some jigs and other hardware. The rights to the coveted "Cobra" name supposedly will not be part of the deal nor is the right to use CSX vin #'s. In essence they would only be buying the equipmnent and some tooling. It will as some others speculate end up in the FFR attic with the Contemporary jigs and molds.

FFR will not be able to market and sell Shelby Cobras. They will supposedly not have the right to use CSX vin #'s. They will in all probability keep on selling FFRs.

Again the above is just more speculation about the "supposed sale" spouted by others that I've read.

If this rumor is true (which its NOT according to my sources connected to SAI) it would truly be sad to see SAI disappear. They brought us the Cobra to begin with.

As to value of the existing CSX 4000's. I think they will increase if such a sale took place.

They would then be the last of the breed and become rare in and of themselves.

In actuality whoever started and perpetuated the rumor are blowing smoke up our butts if they started this rumor. I don't know who started this rumor. Maybe it wasn't the Smith brothers/FFR who started this rumor, I don't know but whoever did is definitely jerking your chains IMHO. I don't buy it for a minute. If they did start the rumor, and I don't know who started it really, but if they did they are either doing it to be vindictive IMHO towards SAI or as an effort to creating great publicity for themselves. Look. One little post on suggesting the "rumor" and look whats going on. The last entity SAI would sell to would be FFR.

I don't know who started this "rumor". Maybe the guy who said he heard it at Carlisle or who said he heard from one of the Smith brothers is not being honest. Who Knows.

I would suspect that the SAI dealers and/or other investors would buy the assets before FFR. Makes more sense doesn't it.

By the way. Where is the proof and numbers that SAI is not doing good sales wise. Is this just another rumor?

Oh, enough with the rumors. Others have claimed to hear it directly from the Smiths. Well, why haven't the Smiths come on and told us about their new acquisition. Its public now. SAI posted here and said it ain't true.

Well, where are the Smith brothers? They supposedly have told others according to what some have said here. Let them say its true here. They've posted here before. Whats the problem?

Last edited by REAL 1; 05-21-2003 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Good point about SAI profit or not, I been wanting to comment on that.

Don't confuse the Bankruptcy thing as having anything to do with SAI's financial state, two different company things going on here.

The both have some impact on each other, but are not dependant on each other for their own bottom line as to profitability.

Ernie
Old 05-21-2003, 12:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

[quote]Originally posted by REAL 1

[b]I suspect that if it is true that the CSX 4XXX cars will increase in value.

Geez, Evan,

You're sticking your neck out on this one...

IT'S GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to Specialk Send a message via Skype™ to Specialk
Not Ranked     

Fellas,

IT AIN'T HAPPENING!
Old 05-21-2003, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraEd

It is not about FFR cheapening the name. That is not the issue at all. Even if they maintain two distinct product lines as I'm sure they will, the current SAI line would no longer be associated with Shelby, his name or his legacy and would just be another replica line. The whole marketing mystique of "Shelby" would be gone.
Ed

I'm betting that there will not be two distinct product lines..
Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX Cars
Not Ranked     

Time will tell, and I am betting the price will increase over what I paid. Anyone one willing to make a $1,000 bet on the value of a CSX 4000 car 5 years from now. I will send the papers and set up the escrow accounts asap. I love taking money from guys with an attitude.

Allan
Old 05-21-2003, 12:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA, Ford 428 SCJ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Specialk

Fellas,

IT AIN'T HAPPENING!
Kris,

Can't you tell by now that it really doesn't matter