28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2003, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

Here you can compair all four Cobra brand TKO's from South Africa.
Shamrock, Venom, Superformance, and Backdraftracing.

http://mail.shamrocksupersnake.com:83/index.html

http://www.shellvalley.com/cobra/venom.asp

http://www.superformance.com/

http://www.backdraftracing.com/
Old 07-04-2003, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boudy,
I am not sure you can get the 4 wheel Wilwood brakes and Bilstein/ H&R spring package for $3,500.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, 351W
Neutral     

I've been meaning to send Reg a letter telling him how much my wife and I are enjoying our Backdraft. I've been looking at Cobra replicas for about 20 years since back in the Artnz days.

We bought the Carbon Black with Bronzemist stripes from Reg at the Knott's show. It has a 351W with 420 hp. It's equipped with Windsor Jr. heads and Windsor Jr intake manifold, a Holley double pumper, K&N air filter, roller rockers, ceramic coated headers, MSD pro billet distributor, MSD 6AL. I have the 17" wheel/tire option with the Nitto's.

I'd driven and priced Factory Five cars and Superformance cars and I really believe the Backdraft Racing product is an incredible value. Put a pencil to it, you'll be surprised! Money aside, it's just a great car. We have over 800 miles on it and the only bad thing is other drivers getting to close trying to get a look.

I'm very impressed with Reg, his dad Frank and Tony from the factory. I would recommend the car and the incredible customer service to anyone!

John and Leeann,
San Diego, CA
Old 07-04-2003, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink Backdraftracing Cobra

I called Backdraftracing in Florida and reached Reg. I found that the car is imported from South Africa to Ft Lauderdale Florida and distributed as a roller less engine and transmission. The car is set up with BMW IRS and front suspension is not so much clone as it is an interpretation of the Cobra. Its wheel base and track width is longer and wider than the Cobra, but make no mistake, it has "the Look"

Reg gave me the name of a contact here in North Texas. I made an appointment to go by and test drive the car and examine the fit and finish. It is a well thought out piece. All components fit well, the quality of the fiberglass was good, the quality of the powder coated square frame was evident in the welds, and the engine bay while simple was all business. The small block 302 was connected to a five speed Tremec. The 345 HP was delivered to the ground smoothly and traction was excellent. There is some cowl shake with the car, but it is a convertible. The BMW suspension is a perfect match for the car. Compliant, progressive and very predictable. The car is setup for street use, but aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades could easily turn this cruiser into a true track monster. Remember the underpinnings are BMW...

The number and types of options is limited with the car, but what they do, they do well. It is definitely worth a hard look. An advantage is the "right now" ownership and driveability potential you have with the car. Just add your choice of engine and drive train. For Chevy lovers, a SBC setup with headers is available if you wisk to wait. There are stock colors but anything can be shot, just choose the paint scheme. Summing up, it isn't a true replica but what it does accomplish with a well thought out suspension, quality workmanship certain makes it a creditable car.

Sam

Last edited by corinthiacobra; 07-04-2003 at 06:32 PM..
Old 07-05-2003, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

Captain,
I agree with you about the market setting the price. That's why you will see BDR's going up when the leadtime starts going up from the 3 or 4 months it is now.
Old 07-05-2003, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Mestizo

Dan, Thanks for the referral. I will check it out.

Rogers, I agree with you I think BDR's are going to be the hottest deal around. That's also part of why I bought one. On a percentage basis I think it will hold its value better than anything out there even if they go up some.

The Backdraft cars will be subject to the same market fluctuations as any other car out there today.... Why should they be any different????? Superformance is a good comparison.... If the Backdraft brand takes off and orders are backed up then the price will go up also...
Sounds like the turnkey price with a motor and trans will be close to 40K? At least that's what I'm coming up with...
Used low mileage Superformance's can be had in the low 40K's.
That was unheard of two years ago....

Buying a Backdraft now probably makes sense because I'm sure they will be on par, pricewise, with the other South African cars very soon...

Just reading all the posts on this thread the Backdraft sounds like the "second coming".

Last edited by casaleenie; 07-05-2003 at 10:05 AM..
Old 07-05-2003, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

captain: You are correct, I omitted brakes and springs from my estimate of $3,500 to option a BDR similar to an SPF. I do this because of the ride, handling, and track times of the BDR. The handling of this car equals or surpasses most of what's out there. A false assumption is required to insinuate that a BDR needs $3K to $4K in suspension upgrades to be equal to any other car on the market.(JBL excluded)

We do offer the M3 suspension upgrade for $3K. It is however, an application based upgrade. If a customer wants a 450 HP street car, he can save the money. If he wants a 500+ HP track carver, he can upgrade.

Boudy
Old 07-05-2003, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

[quote]Originally posted by casaleenie

[b]The Backdraft cars will be subject to the same market fluctuations as any other car out there today.... Why should they be any different?????

They're only different because, in my humble opinion, they're rather underpriced. I think that, the ride in general and the Beamer suspension accounts for the enthusiasm.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with Mestizo.

I think that the Backdrafts are under priced now they have increased sales. I ordered mine in April 02, when they were still an "unknown" in the Cobra market. In my opion they are a great car at a fantastic price. I am betting today as I did last April, that as supply and demand may raise their prices. I am also hoping that, with that being the case it will help mine retain it's original value.
I am also hoping that with the new body style changes that there will be people that will still perfer the original shape. If so, that should help stabilize the older used car pricing.
I my be full of it in my assumptions, but I know that it will hold it's valve better than the new C-5 I was considering!!
Bud
Old 07-05-2003, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Mestizo

They're only different because, in my humble opinion, they're rather underpriced. I think that, the ride in general and the Beamer suspension accounts for the enthusiasm. [/b]

Mestizo,,

I agree that the earlier purchasers (Backdraft) will probably benefit from the supply and demand pricing down the road... None of these cars from any manufacturer can be considered an investment...So many variables in these cars... With all the differences with the different brands I'm beginning to believe that accuracy in design has value... I'm starting to sound like Evan... I'm being turned to the "dark side" of the force. I think that Kirkham,ERA,SAI keep the other manufacturers on the straight and narrow... It always comes back to the original design Cobras.

It's a love affair pure and simple....

Well, that was rambling pure and simple... Got carried away...
What the hell were we talking about???
Old 07-05-2003, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul,

Is the M3 suspension the sport suspension upgrade they list for about $3K.....and the 17" whls...I am sure they add to the handling and traction demand that stroked 351 throws out. How is the Tremec handling the torque. I hear that the tranny is limited to about 450 ftlbs.

I've gotta have one of these cars. Got any pictures..pls send.

sam_pas@msn.com

Sam
Old 07-06-2003, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sam,
The M3 suspension is a 3K$ option and the 17" wheels are a $800 upgrade from the standard 15". I am told the 17's are much better on the track and in the rain. I went with the M3 option simply because the upgrade was already on the car and Reg told me its great on the track. I've also driven a friend's M3 quite frequently and I really like the handling. The 17" wheels give the car a great feel..like being glued to the road.
As far as the Tremec TKO goes I haven't owned the car long enough to tell you. I guess I'll know about the torque when I break it. The TKO is a five speed with the fifth being a tall gear for the highway (about 2000 rpm at 75).
I'll post some pictures when I have them. ( I haven't sprung for a digital camera yet...too busy saving up for a Cobra. (Anyone interested in a restored 3000 MK II Healey (63)?))
Old 07-06-2003, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

I consider giving up building a 3rd cobra a step to the next level. I recently sold my #2 car and acually made a profit. This was due to two factors...the popular silver w/black stripes and 425 hp. In this "toy" market timing the color can be difficult but the hp will always increase the market. There will always be the group that wants hp no matter how loud it makes the car at any rpm. I don't care to cruise around town clutching to keep from bucking because the cam is too hot. I noticed lots of questions regarding the suspension...8.8 w/mustang front end. Even though this makes an easily servicable car...for most buyers in todays market its not good enough. They want either a 9" solid axel or a jag IRS w/discs all around. When I looked at Backdraft and the cost of a turn key with 345 hp, I can't build one w/labor. This is why I will be going to the next level with this car. I think the industry will finally bow its head to a better suspension that is not as American as rest of the car. I think the suspension will cause most new owners to give up the high hp for the delight of an evening cruise thru town or hit the winding road just outside town. I'm fortunate to be able to compare cars since this will be my 3rd. If I would recommend a situation that could put you in a Cobra with the least amount of headaches and have the most smiles it would be a purchase of a Backdraft. This car will produce a new breed of owner...one that wants to drive a cobra with reliability and feel confident that you will get your money back if you should ever have to sell.
Now for the kicker...I won't get my car until mid-October. I'm either extremely confident or extremely stupid!
Old 07-06-2003, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The backdraft brand seems to be becoming more popular. do you guys think that the pricing for these cobras will raise dramatically within the next year or so? I hope not anyways or my chances for buying a cobra within the next year will definately not happen.

Boudy whats your take on the future pricing on backdraft cobras?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

2003 saw numerous changes to the BDR that made it a much nicer car without a price increase. Changes are happening all the time, and with changes usually come price increases. We as dealers have not yet been notified of a price increase in the near future, however, improvements are still coming.

Boudy
Old 07-07-2003, 08:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4761, KCR Shelby Alloy 496,760hp
Send a message via AIM to misfit41
Not Ranked     

Hi Boudy
I appreciate your comments,and your tact in making them,I am not digging on the backdraft in any way,and I know we all have different objectives in what our dream car is or should be,My take is first make the car astectically correct,so it LOOKS like what it is supposed to be,then make it as good as possible otherwise,I mean if a quik glance tells you something just isnt right,then it defeats the purpose of a replica ,I mean if it dosent at least "look" authenic ,we may as well all have vettes.but then again,this is how I feel,and it isnt my wallet, thanks,,Tim

"this whole Adult thing just isnt working for me "
Old 07-07-2003, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogers
. There will always be the group that wants hp no matter how loud it makes the car at any rpm. I don't care to cruise around town clutching to keep from bucking because the cam is too hot. I noticed lots of questions regarding the suspension...8.8 w/mustang front end. Even though this makes an easily servicable car...for most buyers in todays market its not good enough. They want either a 9" solid axel or a jag IRS w/discs all around. When I looked at Backdraft and the cost of a turn key with 345 hp, I can't build one w/labor. This is why I will be going to the next level with this car. I think the industry will finally bow its head to a better suspension that is not as American as rest of the car. I think the suspension will cause most new owners to give up the high hp for the delight of an evening cruise thru town or hit the winding road just outside town. I'm fortunate to be able to compare cars since this will be my 3rd. If I would recommend a situation that could put you in a Cobra with the least amount of headaches and have the most smiles it would be a purchase of a Backdraft. This car will produce a new breed of owner...one that wants to drive a cobra with reliability and feel confident that you will get your money back if you should ever have to sell.
Now for the kicker...I won't get my car until mid-October. I'm either extremely confident or extremely stupid! [/b]

Rogers,

New breed of owner, guaranteed resale, give up HP, BMW suspension. You're describing a Mazda Miata... Let Backdraft stray too far from what a Cobra is all about and you'll have a Cobra II or a Cobra lite... It'll have A/C, heater, windows, etc... Why not just buy the BMW Z car or a Boxster???? I'm curious as to who is looking for a docile Cobra???? The new question will be rather than, is it a replica?, to, is it a replica of a replica???
Old 07-07-2003, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

345 HP on 2300 lbs is hardly docile. Please elaborate on your definition of docile. It's not a monster by any means, but very fast none the less.

Robert

Last edited by Boudy; 07-07-2003 at 10:43 AM..
Old 07-07-2003, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Boudy

345 HP on 2300 lbs is hardly docile. Please elaborate on your definition of docile. It's not a monster by any means, but very fast none the less.

Robert

Robert,
Point well taken....

What is the cost of a 345HP Backdraft... with the necessary upgrades?
Old 07-07-2003, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A 345 HP Backdraft with Tremec, roller motor, MSD, and no corners cut would run around $35,000, plus or minus a little. Options and engine/tranny choices would vary price.
For Example:
New or Rebuilt Engine
Tremec or T-5 or Rebuilt T-5

Myself or any of the Backdraft Dealers would be happy to provide an exact quote on request. We all offer any SB and FE engine combo you could ask for. Sorry 460 BB won't fit.

Boudy