14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft # 91, Black w/White stripes and Red Rookie's, 302 w/AFR 185's.
Not Ranked     

Casaleenie,
What is the most HP you have had under your hood? I listed some of the drawbacks of having that high HP. Also...what is your age? I do think that once you get mid-40's and you find you and your wife driving these...345 HP is more than enough to go from A to B in less than 6 seconds...let your Miata try that. Also how tall are you? A Miata will not accomodate a 6 footer comfortably! Both of the Classics I built were standard suspension. Obviously the Replica industry is not too hot on improving on a 38-year old suspension or they would offer optional front and rear choices. If your set on a true replica thats your thing...I want a head turner that will also feel solid when I drive it.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Rogers

Casaleenie,
What is the most HP you have had under your hood? I listed some of the drawbacks of having that high HP. Also...what is your age? I do think that once you get mid-40's and you find you and your wife driving these...345 HP is more than enough to go from A to B in less than 6 seconds...let your Miata try that. Also how tall are you? A Miata will not accomodate a 6 footer comfortably! Both of the Classics I built were standard suspension. Obviously the Replica industry is not too hot on improving on a 38-year old suspension or they would offer optional front and rear choices. If your set on a true replica thats your thing...I want a head turner that will also feel solid when I drive it.
Rogers,

Southern Automotive claims 410HP
5'10" (overweight)
I'm not "set on a true replica" but I think the FIA Unique is pretty close and it will always look like a Cobra..
It turns heads and feels solid and I think it will go from A to B in better than six seconds...

I posted earlier that 345HP is substantial. Again I'm saying that if I wanted a Corvette,Porsche or a BMW, I would have bought one.. (I've owned two Vettes over the years). I wanted the handling characteristics and noise and Spartan qualities of a Cobra for better or worse. The tinkering and tweaking are all part of the experience.. I'm not sure what you would end up with it you made the Cobra absolutely "user friendly". I'm confident enough in the car to drive anywhere and any distance.... I've found out that the car will take a lot more than I can...

Regards,

al

Last edited by casaleenie; 07-07-2003 at 04:51 PM..
Old 07-07-2003, 07:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     
Default 345 enough? I think so.

UUhhhmm, roughly 345hp is enough to light them up at 30 to 40 mph and slam yourself into a rock wall, Rogers can testify on my behalf. The 8.8 solid live rear axle sucks! My new Backdraft actually has more hp than the cliff smasher I owned. But with the nice independant fully adjustable suspension it does not want to go sideways, it hooks hard and launches if you are already cruising. It can of course put on a nice smokey show for the drunks when required. I do see where my buddy Rogers is coming from. The Backdraft I have has a stage 3 Trick Flow cam and unless you are above 2200 rpms it sounds like it's running on 6 cylinders. This does not make a good evening cruiser or parade driver. Poor Homecoming Queen would get bucked right off the car. Sounds freakin' awsome but can get tiresome to drive at lower speeds. My $.02 and I'm 31. Guess I may be gettin' a Miata at 40. What do you think that little 4 banger will sound like with 4" sidepipes?
Old 07-07-2003, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have been getting some excellent information and feedback about the backdraft cobras since I started this post last week. I really appreciate everyones feedback.

All I know, is that when I am ready to buy a cobra replica I going to purchase one that I will have lots of fun with. I am not concerned about it being an exact replica, I want to have a cobra that looks good, looks similar to an original, handles well, and moves quickly.

In my opinion (and everyone is entitled to their own) the backdraft would best suit me. It seems to be a car that I will be able have a lot of fun with especially with all of the twisty roads around my area. With it having an awsome suspension upgrade, I will be able to take full advantage of the power and handling.
Now all I need to do is buy one.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To all that debate the matter of which is the better Cobra. That is the beauty of this Forum, the car and the opportunity that we all share in. To dream our own dreams, hope that we get what we want and when all the points are added up, we all have won in our own way. In general, I think we all love speed. Huge horsepower numbers in a 2500# car that aerodynamically shouldn't do more that about 120 mph is just there to feed our EGO and make the tire salesman happy. Expectations of 0-60 mph in 3.8 seconds, 4.7 or 5.5 are all relative figures that place demands on driver and machine alike... just as pull'n 1.2 Gs on the skid pad or runn'n the twisties, gett'n 3rd gear scratch or kicking in the secondaries and listening to the wail of a well built engine. That is what it is all about. May you all find something you want out of what you pursue!

Sam
Old 07-07-2003, 09:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to flanker
Not Ranked     

Just got back from putting some more miles on my new engine. Went to the local publix and walgreens for somethings and it took longer than I thought. Gotta answer those questions and love the look on peoples faces when they see her.

Reg just sent me an email saying that they have updated their web site. checked it out and it looks great. There is a 3-D tour of the car and a streaming video of that auesome shop car of his with the stroked 408 burning the tires down the straight-a-ways at Gainseville.

What ever you get, enjoy it 'cause you only die once in life and you just gotta go for it.

Forever Bitten
Frank H
Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The new backdraft website kicks butt. Check it out, its definatly a great improvement.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, 351W
Not Ranked     

EngineerMan,

I agree with Frank. I asked his opinion of his BDR before we bought ours and he was on target with everything he had to say about the car (thanks Frank).

There have been some comments about the extra length of the BDR's. I was concerned that it would be obvious right away. I'm an Architect, and I'm anal about proportions. We've gone to events with FFR cars and a Contemporary. It's very difficult to tell visually, if at all. The most obvious differences to me is how all the cars handle the flare of the rear wheel arches. My BDR is the newer fatter fendered model that takes 11" rear wheels but it still has a very small flare past the fenders. The FFR cars have a slightly smaller fender with a little larger flare. They all look good to me even some of the originals with no flare.

Your choice to go with the M3 suspension, I think is a good move. You get bigger front brakes, bigger axles and CV joints, a bigger diff with 3.54 gears vs. 3.10's and a limited slip. And you're still $7000K less than a Superformance. If you want 17" wheels, the Superformance will cost you about $4400 vs a $850 option on the BDR. Team lll is making very cool looking bolt covers for their wheels, I have the prototype on one of my wheels; very clean!

John and Leeann
Old 07-08-2003, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to flanker
Not Ranked     

John and Leeann congrats on the car. that one you have is absolutely gorgeous. i glad i was able to help. all i can say is that i enjoy and love my car and the company has done nothing but treat me great and with class. there will always be little things that can need fixing and adjusting in a hand made car, but i do not regret my decission and if i could would buy another BDR in a second.

Forever Bitten by the BDR
Frank H
Old 07-08-2003, 08:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Frank, George, John (Congradulations Newbie), Mestizo, Nuke, BlackBDR...

Inquiring would swear that there's not a real BDR among the bunch of you. How about populating your galleries with some eye candy....

misfit41 - BTW: I agree, even though most of us can't tell them apart at first glance anyhow. I said most of us, there are those of you who can...

Boudy
Old 07-08-2003, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

well this has been very interesting reading. :-))

It backs up what I've been hearing about BDR. Thanks to those who I've contacted privately with questions. Put ya hand up Frak H !! :-) CobraDoc ....

Thanks for the offer Boudy - you should have got an email back from me.

some questions ...... easy ones

1. Southern Automotive 406 - would it fit ? This engine is based on the 390FE and is stroked to 406. It looks like a 427, the only way to tell the difference is to read the casting numbers (and know what they mean) :-)

2. If it fits .. 430HP ... to much for the std. BDR rearend ? Do I need to consider the upgrade ?

3. Can I fit the Tremec T56 6sp in there? My other choice would be the Tremec TKO?

4. Right hand drive ? I've been driving right side for 20 years and I'm wondering about swapping sides with a stick shift.

5. What is the new web address of Backdraft? My link died a few days ago .... :-(

6. I saw somewhere above that the rear isn't a limited slip diff but it's a 80/20 - this means what ? It will still smoke both when asked ?

7. The rear discs are inboard (sim. Jag) or outboard?

after 6 months I'm down to 2 I think ... BDR and Unique

I really think I want the 427 and right hand drive.

regards
Doug I
Old 07-09-2003, 07:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Hi Doug: I didn't get your email, try again.
Robert@Hi-PerRods.com

1) FE fits, no problem and no additional cost. We'll provide you with different motor mounts and headers.

2) Standard rear end will take 430 HP pounding all day. Upgrade not required.

3) I'll check on T56. TKO fits fine but used different yoke, driveshaft has to have yoke changed.

4) I'll check on right-hand drive. Never been asked that one before.

5) www.BackdraftRacing.com

6) A locker runs about $600 to $1000. Depends on what available in the salvage world at the time. 80/20 will pull, just less than the other.

Nuke427: You want to comment on the smokin' thing? You have the stock rear end.

7) Outboard brakes.

Thanks,

Boudy
Old 07-09-2003, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

Cool !!!

Thanks for clearing those questions up !!!

Boudy - I'll drop you a note later today.

Thanks again !!!

regards
Doug I
Old 07-09-2003, 08:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

Sorry if I missed it in some post, but where exactly are the Backdraft cars assembled?
Old 07-09-2003, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Doug: The T-56 won't fit and we build right-hand cars often for overseas.

Cowtown: The cars are assembled in South Africa as a Turn-Key Minus. Engine/Trannys are added here in the US.

Boudy
Old 07-09-2003, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Boudy,

Is the Suspension upgrade the BMW E36 Suspension? Can you find out? thanks.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I see you've been doing some homework. Good, you'll be pleased with your findings.

We use E36 on both suspension packages. The M3 upgrade gets a locker, the standard is a non-locker.

Boudy
Old 07-09-2003, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     

hey boudy - can one add the suspension (M3) upgrade after the purchase?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It can be done, though I wouldn't want to. If your reasoning is to save money, you won't. A salvage yard gets up to $800 for the differential alone. They will undoubtably want several thousand for the entire front and rear suspension package from an M3. Then you have to bolt it on and realign everything.

Boudy
Old 07-09-2003, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     

Understood... Just asking.... I think the Stock suspension will be more than enough for what I am going to do with the car.

I want to thank everyone who has been on this board and helped me out with questions, etc...