Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2003, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing, 351W
Not Ranked     

Southernfriedcj,

I asked the same question about the BMW parts. It's my understanding they are remanufactured. All the rotors, pads, seals, bearings are replaced. Items like spindles are checked and used if within spec.

As for comparisons with the Superformance car:
Fit and finish: both are very good, the biggest difference I noticed here was the door hinge, the BDR is flat and large and very comfortable to rest your knee against, the Superformance was actually painful to my knee (I'm 6'2", 250#'s so maybe it was just my build) Also related to size but having nothing to do with fit and finish is the 2" added length of a BDR, by far the way more comfortable for me than either a SPF or a FFR.

Both car really look manufactured. One touch I really like on our BDR is the polished stainless steel expansion tank and radiator hoses.

The large fans and shroud and aluminum radiator look very good in both cars.

The BDR has a powder coated frame, I can't remember if the SPF does.

Both have leather seats and decent carpet.

Both have nicely finished trunks. The trunk is amazing in both. If you carry stuff like beach chairs and a long umbrella, cooler etc, you would be hard pressed to do that in a FFR with it's much narrower trunk.

I had to ask Reg the obvious question: why is the BDR about $10K less than a SPF. One huge reason is the exchange rate has changed from 2.5:1 to 8:1 from the time that SPF started importing to the time BDR started importing. SPF couldn't reduce their price as the exchange rate changed because it would hurt the resale value of their earlier customers cars.

Here's one more $ issue to consider. If you want 17" wheels with a BDR it's an $850 option. Granted they are bolt ons but Team III makes a great looking cover. You can't get 17"'s on a SPF you have to get additional wheels and tires from your dealer. Because they're pin drives you'll spend another $4K.

The SPF comes with a tonneau top and a convertible top standard which are optional on the BDR. I'm lucky enough in Southern California that the car only comes out when the weather is perfect, which is most of the year. In Georgia you may not mind the look of the fasteners that are permanently mounted on the body so you can have a top.

John and Leeann
Old 07-15-2003, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Still Dreaming
Not Ranked     

Could someone enlighten me as to what a scuttle bar is in relationship to the cowl/dash area of the BDR roadster?When all parts are bolted together in that area,is this car rigid enough to eliminate cowl shake,and/or flex in that part of the car.I guess I'm worried about the possibility of stress cracks in the coachwork with time,as well as adequate strength in the event of a side collision in that area.Also,are 16in. Halibrand style(Team Three?) wheels an option?
Old 07-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     
Default side impact protection?

foothills gary,

side impact protection in a Cobra? A few are stronger than others, but these cars are about as safe as driving a motorcycle if you get T-boned in the side. Maybe worse, being strapped in. The only Cobra replica cars I've seen that have completely eliminated cowl shake are the ones that have the body bonded and rivoted to the chassis. I believe BDR is a bolt-on, aren't they? Don't believe a salesperson until they take you over a set of heavy railroad tracks several times. This test eliminates the solid cars from the shakey ones! Good Luck.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Gary: The bar runs across the car under the dash and then down to the frame rails on both sides. It is also attached to the firewall and the doors hinge from it. I'll try to get you some pictures posted.

Your cowl shake question is difficult to answer at best because it's ambiguous. The best I can do is, "No, it doesn't really shake, much." I can tell you that the wind sheild in my 96' Vette, with the top off, bothers me because it shakes so much on bumps and this car doesn't. So then is it rigid? By default, that would be a yes. However, it's not so rigid that every bump beats you and the car into submission.

As for side impacts, we all hope it doesn't happen. None of these cars have DOT side impact specs.

Yes, we can get you 16" wheels.

SoutherfriedCJ: The suspension is rebuilt. Consumables are new as mention above.
Boudy

Last edited by Boudy; 07-16-2003 at 08:07 AM..
Old 07-16-2003, 01:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to tony martin
Not Ranked     

HEY DOC, I AM ALL MOST ON THE PLANE!!! WILL BE DOING ALL 3 EVENTS IN NOVEMBER. ALSO WANT TO FIT IN A WEEKS SNOW SKING. WE ARE HEADS DOWN AND REALLY GETTING INTO GEAR WITH THE NEW CARS. AS U WILL SEE EACH SHIPMENT GETS A LITTLE BETTER. WE HAVE OUR EARS TO THE GROUND, LISTENING TO EVERYTHING, AND ARE STILL FINE TUNING THE CARS TO MAKE THEM "THE BEST IN THE WEST" JOKES ASIDE WE STRIVING TO BUILD U GUYS QUALITY CARS, AND, TO KEEP THEM AFORDABLE.
I LOVE MY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! CATCH U SOON
Old 07-16-2003, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #42, 425HP 347 - NASA TX, CMC #55 Mustang Road Racer - Legends 37' Chevy Coupe #43 Oval Racer - Honda CRF450R(I'm afraid to race it), 95' Black Lighting Daily Scooter
Not Ranked     

Here we are...

Boudy
Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the great pictures,Boudy.they helped alot to clear up my confusion on the frame tie-in.The Corvette illustration was the perfect comparison!(I'll say no more on that!)
Old 07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey, no problem. Actually, Tony scuttled em' over to me in a hurry from the factory. (there it is again, I said scuttle...)

Boudy
Old 07-16-2003, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

isn't scuttle what you do to a ship to sink it ?
Old 07-16-2003, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

they say a boat is a hole in the water that you shovel money into.I can see some parallels here.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug I

and the colour is?
inquiring minds wish to know

Finally got my color code. My all Silver BDR is VW Reflex Silver, PPG code - A7W. And my car is #54.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to Mestizo
Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
Anyone shopping absolutely should drive a BDR. I looked at SPF, FFR, Unique, LA Exotic (?), Lonestar and Emerson before making up my mind. Now after the first 100 miles driven I am happy to say that the car is holding up to my best expectations in regards to handling etc. I'm 6'1"/250 and used to a Healey. This car is just as comfortable even if you do have to bend your legs a little to the left. Still getting used to the power though. I had a Pantera some years ago and it always wanted to start flying too. With the top off you really think it will! And I haven't even floored it yet.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mestizo,
I have the same problem. We are the same size also. I did bend the gas pedel forward. I bent it below the pedel stop, so as not to distort the throttle cable alignment or length. It helped alot, but still would be nice to have it farther front!

There is a ton of room in the foot box in front of the pedels. It would seem that installing a florr mounted gas pedel assembly may cure our problem.

Take care,

Bud
Old 07-27-2003, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #69, 351W, T5
Send a message via AIM to brainbugnj Send a message via Yahoo to brainbugnj
Not Ranked     

Hey Boudy -
was looking @ your tunkey options,do you guys provide any other engine options, possibly for someone looking to have an early casting block? I unfortunately may be moving back to NJ from here in San Diego (SUCK!) but will have to try and register there under engine year (for emission).....

let me know.
Steve
Old 07-27-2003, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure, we can find you an early model block. I offer numerous engine combos. Those on the site reference Ford Crate engines for ease of pricing reference. The site will be updated soon to reflect the full line.

BTW: We had a great time at Texas Motor Speedway on Friday.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question I live in PA, Emissions issues?

I am considering a BDR Cobra. but have a few questions:

1) Can the DBR cobra fit a LS1 (Camaro/vette) with the GM T56 6 speed tranny?
2) Will this work with the BMW rear?
3) I live in PA where emissions is needed if the car is driven more than 5K a year (which I doubt I will do but...)
4) My local dealer for BDR is
Tri State Motorsport
33 Industrial Road
P.O. Box 39
Brownstown, PA 17508

Anyone have experience with them?

6) Can we opt out of the wheel package and supply a set of our own?

I guess these are questions for the dealer/builder? but I am still trying to convince the wife I NEED a Cobra. hehehe
Thanks
Vinny
Old 07-27-2003, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Waiting to Order a BDR, engine to be a SA C408. TKO to hook it up.
Not Ranked     

I can just see Boudy going ........

"Ohh my god ..... there's that T56 again. What has Doug done to me ......"

accompanied by a gentle banging of forehead on desk.

Vinny - I don't think the T56 will ft - I asked a while back and it won't.

Look like you did have a good time there Boudy - Let me know when the next time will be and we'll try again to get over there. I like the red in that photo :-)

regards
Doug I
Old 07-27-2003, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My question is this? Can't you Guys just put a model of Tremec behind that LS-1? I am curious.
I do like the idea of the LS-1 installed in a Backdraft. I would like to see a completed install.
bud
Old 07-27-2003, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2009 Solbra
Not Ranked     

You guys should have been in Ohio last month at the DVSFIII, there was a Superformance with a Corvette engine installed.
Dan