28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2003, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

This has been bugging me for a while now. More than a handful of people ask me this question with no integrity in their voice, so this is what I do.

Hey, how much you pay for this?
OH, You thinkin of buyin one?
NO, I just wanted to know how much you paid.
Well let me ask you, How much do you make?
Huh?
How much do you make... in a year?
. this is the turning point.
Depending on how the poor bastard answers you, depends on how you will answer him. I have had this conversation about 6 times now and it works every time. It always ends like this.
If you save enough over the next 4 years, you should be able to afford it. I'll sell you mine for(insert your selling price).

When you get nosy about his income, esp' in front of other people, watch him squirm.....it's funny.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For every tactless way to ask the question, there's an equally tactless way to answer it.

Q: "How much would I have to write the check out for?"
A: "If you're stupid enough to ask, you don't deserve the answer."
- Bill Cosby
Old 10-29-2003, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

If they ask me what a car like that costs...

I'll tell them exactly what it cost to build the car from the ground up.... the deluxe pallet, the wheel/tires, the paint, the finishing, the personal time invested..whatever they want to know...I don't have any problem giving them the information.... That seems to satisfy them.. and we're all happy.
I don't consider it tactless for someone to ask.. they just seem to blurt out the question... You can see some people thinking about how they can put one in their garage and others realizing that it's out of the question to own one at this time in their lives...but they'll get one someday...

However,
I won't tell them what I paid for it....that's my business...

Last edited by casaleenie; 10-29-2003 at 10:25 AM..
Old 10-29-2003, 08:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default Wayne

If I Just bought a New Dodge Viper, the majority of the sports car nuts out there would pretty much know about how much the car costs. Same as when I board a plane and walk through 1st class. I know what they paid for the seat. With the Cobra, a lot of people have no idea. They here all kinds of numbers on Original cars and never know what to believe. Then the kits can be all over the place. I feel most of the people that want to know kinda size up the owner and wonder why they can't afford one as they are usually jealous.
From an owners standpoint, I feel most kit car owners are into the car for way more than they care to admit. I feel the owns who resent the question are embarrased to tell because they know they are in too deep. When the average 4000 guy was in for around 70K in the beginning of the series, I was in for 85K. I never hesitated to tell anyone. I didn't care what they thought. And, that was before I dropped another $10k in. I then bumped the statement to $95K. I someone had the balls to ask, I had the balls to tell although I didn't walk around with a banner. Then when I sold it for a much bigger number, I didn't have any problem telling that either. Know why? Because people in general would have rather see people lose money so they can have something to snicker at. I just don't live my life that way.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Steve
I believe that you have a great attitude and I understand your opinion. I guess what really bothers me is the way some people ask the question more than anything else. I have told the truth to virtually everyone that appeared to have an interest in the car. However when a twit comes along and right off asks about the cost, it rubs me the wrong way.

I think from now on I am going to tell them to contact my attorney and fellow Cobra nut...........Jamo..........who will be pleased to discuss the cost of my Cobra with them.........OK Jamo, I know, bite me. I can see it coming.

Wayne
Old 10-30-2003, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wayne,

The question that really bothers me is the one that starts....
"is it real". Not really a difficult question but it stops me every time.... There have been extensive threads on this but I'm still stuck for an answer...
I going to refer them to Evan from now on......
Old 10-30-2003, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Actually.....

Any questions Cobra Related or otherwise I usually refer out..

Just the other day I was in confession ans said;
"Forgive me father for I have sinned please allow me to introduce my attorney, Evan Harris. I only speak through him.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Hmmm...a whole new area of practice. Evan and I will confer and notify you of the standardized rates. BSing about your car, of course, costs extra.

Wayne, of course you can see it coming.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Actually.....

[quote]Originally posted by CSX 4027

[b]Any questions Cobra Related or otherwise I usually refer out..

Steve,

And why woundn't you "refer out" Cobra related questions...
You don't own one!!!!!! What do you do, stand out in a parking lot and field questions about a car you used to have????

albert
Old 10-30-2003, 09:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Oh Scalopeenie

Because most know how good mine was because of 15 years of dedicated Cobra study. If you ask any of the larger suppliers of parts like Motorsport International and Kirkham, they weekly get sent photo's of my old car and say, Make it like Steve's. Hey man, I am famous in Cobra Land. There isn't anyone who doesn't know me and respect what I have to say.I arrived baby. Your just one of those angry sarcastic skeptics that like a good joust so you commonly low blow to make a point. You aren't a bad guy, more like rotten to the bone. You Loves a you Fights. How good is your car anyway??

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 10-30-2003, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

And so freeking modest.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

When I was looking at these cars as something I would like to own one day, I had everything from sincerity to curiosity in my voice when I was the one asking those questions.
I tried to ask it as tactfully as I could, and I am glad no one gave me an answer similar to some mentioned in here.
Not once did I hear.

-Why do you ask?
-If you have to ask you can't afford it.
-$3.00 a pound.
-$20-$100K
-How much do you make a year?

Thank god, everyone whose car I was interested in was as interested in answering my question cordially as I was in asking them.

I would pitty the poor bastard who gave me one of the cute answers above.

My responses to each may have been more colorful that their answers.

-I want to see your purdy lips move that's all.
-If I am a mute, does that make me a millionaire?
-Really? I didn't think you could a dime over $2.10 for a pound of turd.
-Math major?
-Including what your old lady turns in everynight? Enough!

TURK
Old 10-31-2003, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

Dont pity me buddy. If I once heard any sincerity in anyone voice I would have had a nice conversation but I never do. Its always the first thing out of their mouth. Its not the right way to start a conversation.

And if anyone brought my wife or family into it they be on their ass. Thats pushin it.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: Oh Scalopeenie

Quote:
Originally posted by CSX 4027

Because most know how good mine was because of 15 years of dedicated Cobra study. If you ask any of the larger suppliers of parts like Motorsport International and Kirkham, they weekly get sent photo's of my old car and say, Make it like Steve's. Hey man, I am famous in Cobra Land. There isn't anyone who doesn't know me and respect what I have to say.I arrived baby. Your just one of those angry sarcastic skeptics that like a good joust so you commonly low blow to make a point. You aren't a bad guy, more like rotten to the bone. You Loves a you Fights. How good is your car anyway??

Living Legend,

My car is just average...and I bought it from someone else and the Cobra you had is someone elses.
And you're correct, I do like a good joust.. Unfortunately you come unarmed in a battle of wits... and there are people who "don't know you and respect what you have to say".

You're a legend in your own mind.

"You Loves a you Fights"???

____

and Ron,

I'm done..
Old 10-31-2003, 06:58 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     

Turk
There are two very different types of people that ask questions about these cars. Those that are interested in them (even just slightly interested) and those that are just rude. As you know, I am an easy going person and I always try to honestly and fully answer the questions that come from someone that appears to be interested in the car, never mine if they will ever own one or not. The guys that get under my skin are those that just walk up, don't even look at the car but want to know how much I paid for it. I'm sure that when you were looking at Cobras while doing your research, you exhibited a genuine interest in the cars and you probably asked many questions, some of which would have to do with the cost. No one objects to that, at least I sure don't.

Jamo

To all:
I was just wondering if you were also getting this question asked of you and how you were replying to it. I didn't want to start a war, it's not like I said that small blocks are much better than big blocks or anything like that.

Regards,
Wayne
Old 10-31-2003, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I am not offended by any question about the car. I try and answer easch question as honestly, directly, and completely as possible. Sometimes I ask questions of the questioner to get a better understanding of what they are really asking or trying to ask. The car gets attention. Anyone owning one must be prepared to deal with the attention generated by the car. If you do not like people and are uncomfortable with the attention, get a less attention generating car. I love the car. I like the attention that it generates. I like the opportunity to share the excitement of the car with others.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maybe it's just Hawaii, but the number of people who seemed to be "rude" when asking or commenting on my Excal has been 2, maybe 3 tops. I just ignored them.

Ernie
Old 10-31-2003, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Next time, punch their lights out.

TURK
Old 10-31-2003, 08:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast. 514 / 6 speed Richmond overdrive
Not Ranked     
Red face If telling the rude ones "If you have to ask you can't afford it" ...

Does not get rid of them, I allow Clovis (see my photo gallery) to deal with 'em. Don't want to dirty myself by resorting to fisticuffs with one of the peasants.. They're revolting, don't you know...
James Madison, father of the Constitution, said, "If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." He also said, "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.standdown.net/index.htm
Old 10-31-2003, 08:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Turk ,

I'm sure ,that if you had told me your "old ladies" nightly take was in your pocket,..... I would have been able to sell it to you on the spot!..

KK