Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 06:45 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Johnex 427 S/C, 351W, 472 HP, 444 lbs. torque
Not Ranked     
Angry "What did it cost?"

Since I didn't want to hijack another thread, I decided to start one looking for how you answer that dreaded question "What did it cost?"

I don't remember strangers coming up to me a couple of years ago and coming right out and asking what the cost of my Cobra was. This past summer, it became the number one question and frankly I am finding in quite rude.

It is one thing for a car guy to spend a half hour talking about the Cobra then to say something like "How much ya got in it?". It is another thing for a complete stranger to start off by asking about the cost. The first few times I was asked, I gave an honest answer then I started to become more vaque saying something like "More than $20,000" or "How much do you think it costs?"

Is it only me that is getting the "cost" question on a regular basis or are others getting asked also. What is your favorite reply?

Wayne
Old 10-28-2003, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

I don't have a problem telling people what I've got in it (only the wife!!! YIKES!) Some are interested in building one and are curious about what the cost might be. I think it's different than asking what you've paid for something.

I guess it comes down to the attitude of the guy and how he asks the question. If it's one of those 'is it real' guys then I would agree with you and give him a vague answer.

Roscoe

Last edited by Roscoe; 10-28-2003 at 06:53 AM..
Old 10-28-2003, 07:09 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

If it is someone that appears to have a real interest in Cobras I will tell them that they can get into a Cobra for about $ 30,000 and UP.

If it is some one that comes off as just nosey and rude;I let them know that I will tell them if they can afford it if they will tell me their net worth,last years net income and how much equity they have in their house.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: shell valley
Not Ranked     

My stock answer is "Not as mutch as it could and more than it should" but if they show a justifiable interest in the car I will open up some.
Ken
Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6079 482CI CSX cross ram
Not Ranked     

"if you have to ask you cant afford it"
Old 10-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My answer is similar to Freds,

" How much do you make a year?"...usually I just get a surprised look....if they answer.......over 50K ..I just say "You can afford it"

KK
Old 10-28-2003, 08:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2229K, Vortech-blown 306 (446rwhp, 442 rwtq)
Not Ranked     

If somebody is genuinely interested, I'll tell them straight up what I have into it. If they're just being nosey I tell them "About $15 a pound".
Old 10-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

My FIRST answer is:

"The replica cars vary widely in cost. From as little as 20K to 120K. Mine falls somewhere in the middle. The original cars sell for several hundred thousand or more."

If you really want to "shock" them I mention the Coupes which sell for several MILLION dollars.

Ernie
Old 10-28-2003, 09:08 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

I usually tell 'em it costs about the same as a new Corvette.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

I second what Roscoe said. Often they are looking to see if they can afford it. I typically give a range with an average. 25-100+ for the range, 40-60 for the average. I do not tell them exactly what I have spent.

If they have a real bad attitude, I ask them if there girlfriend wife swallows. Normally I am told that is none of my business to which I responsd "exactly"!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-28-2003, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2086, 302/320 HP, Dart heads, hydraulic
Not Ranked     

"13 years of bringing my wife coffee in bed."

Worth every penny.

Juan Valdez
Old 10-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR2479K, 351W yellow/black stripes
Not Ranked     

I'm right there with Excaliber. I say "They can go for $25-$100K depending on what you put in it, mine is between those two". But as everyone said, if they are really serious, then I'll talk about it.

I like Wade's response though. My car is about $15 per pound too.

I find that I get a lot of kids asking that. Between 12-16 years old. I usually tell them that it costs a lot of paper routes, so they need to get crackin'.

Steve

No, it ain't "real", but it's real fast....

Some people choose to rattle their windows with stereos and speakers... I choose to rattle windows with my right foot.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 AM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great answers guys.

I have told quite a few that is is between $20,000 and $100,000 some get the point, some don't. I have also told some that it is worth about half a house.

I really like the $15 per pound answer. While I have never related the cost to a new Vette, I have told a few that it is somewhere between a Civic and a Ferrari. When they ask if it is an original I simply ask if I look like a millionaire.

Don't get me wrong, if someone is genuinely interested in building a Cobra replica and wants to know what they are getting into, I spend a lot of time explaining the cost of the various components and how it all adds up. The people I get pi$$ed at are ones that don't know a Cobra from a Vette but they seem to think it is perfectly OK to ask about the cost right off the bat.

I'm glad to hear that I am not the only Cobra owner that is having to answer this rude question.

Regards
Wayne
Old 10-28-2003, 10:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I was expecting a lot of questions about the car, and frankly I enjoy talking about it, so I usually am quite patient with people. But, I too have been surprised by how many people ask how much my Cobra costs, and I find it annoying.

I've used the "range" answer a few times. I also like the "per pound" response, but I think I'll make it a little more challenging by quoting per kilo. (...now where's that conversion chart?...)

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 10-28-2003, 11:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

I get that alot. Of course, myself and my buddy Rogers are out here in the middle of no where. We also get alot of, "is that a Viper", or "is that a Corvette". I normally just tell them it wasn't cheap. It doesn't matter if it was $15k - $100k, to me neither of those values is cheap for a "fun" toy car. I like the dollars per lb. or kilo answer, I may have to use that.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:49 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Default Too Much

Damn, now I know I spent too much.

I had to make my wife breakfast as well as coffee.

I just say, "A lot."

If someone pressed the issue I direct them to check the net.

There is the comment of, "Looks expensive."

Just a thought

Old 10-28-2003, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For several years, I've attended shows, cruise nights or just been at the local ice cream stand. Many times, I'm asked how much it costs right off the bat. I don't have any issues with telling anyone what I've go in it. In a great many cases, after this question and several more, the curious person lets me know that they're about to start or are in the middle of a Cobra build. It does seem that the more surprised they are about the price, the more likely that they are nearing the end of their own build. (many have gotten carried away during the build, added up their expenses and nearly fallen over)

My Cobra IS real....just not old!
Old 10-28-2003, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

I like to answer that question, "I couldnt replace this Cobra for under $50,000." Probably true.

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I purchased a Cobra a few months ago and the question has come up a lot. It's really not deserving of a straight up answer and the cost is relative - not much if you have or make a reasonable amount of money - one hell of a lot if you don't.

The cool people don't ask that question, but the people that do are the same one's that ask people about their educational background when that is not an issue

Perhaps a good way to handle the question, quote the cost in Japan Yen, for example, $35,000 would be 3,789,694 Japan Yen.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Canadian Gashole
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick
2.2 lbs = 1 Kg.

Now the tough question would be how many yen to the Kg.?

Jack FFR1846
I too enjoy shooting the breeze with car guys. Dollars, HP, torque, anything goes. It is the twit that knows nothing about cars but asks about the cost that gets to me.

Wayne