28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2003, 12:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

They get nothing from me but a %hit-eatin' grin.

I waited 35 years to get a cobra. I stopped counting, don't know, don't want to know, how much I have in it.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

I feel sorry for anyone who asks me a question about my car. They are hogtied for about two hours while I take them through the world of Cobradom, from how my car was built in a former MiG factory to descriptions of the Spring Fling and Jenny to the 9-11 car to Boghosian building the motor to being friends with a freeking Turk because of the car to the joys of being able to build one yourself from FFR to ERA to buying them ready to go from SPF and now CS-CAV to arruminum v. fibreglass to BB v. SB to having no gas gauge to what them damn little funny bumpers are to showing them the Jamo-dent (akin to a Gurney Bubble or McLaren Smash) for the fitting of my a$$ to whatever else pops into my head. I'll tell them the costs of my car and approximations of others, to how long they take to build etc. etc. etc.

My opinion is that if you're driving something like this, refusing to answer a question or getting inpatient is no better than a celebrity getting pissed when a fan asks for an autograph. If you don't want the questions, drive a Taurus.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Jamo: Time for your meds again!! lol !! I tnink people ARE rude to ask the "Cost" question; the thread is about what we say to people who ask, and who can give the best answer to the question!

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Edley (will you PLEASE learn to spell your name!)

Why are they rude? People see something out of the ordinary like a Cobra, and you tell them it's a reproduction (which I always do), it seems to me that cost is as obvious a question as how long it takes to build. Folks know what a Vette or a Viper costs from magazines and dealers...they don't have the same readily available info for Cobras.

Now, like others have said, if someone is obviously being a dick for dick's sake, I will patiently cut the conversation short. But if they express at least some half-a$$ed informed interest, what the heck?

I say educate...don't just give them a number. Tell them the whole story.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Total strangers get the grin, I've got no problem with stonewalling any question about finance to a total stranger, but for people I know, they get my standard line "less than a new Corvette, and WAY less than a new Corvette Z06".
Old 10-28-2003, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC w/428 & Richmond 5-speed Car 611.
Not Ranked     

about 4,763 yen per kil for me.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gave it to Russ
Not Ranked     

I was raised to not talk about money. How much I had as a kid in savings or how much money my family made. Of course I never knew the later b/c my parents never talked finances in front of me or anyone else. I believe it to be of a personal nature. To me, asking how much I have invested in this car is not much different than asking what my annual income is. I've chosen to not discuss either. This is just my opinion and the way I was raised. And also maybe why I find it rather rude of some to ask how much I've spent on something. Especially someone in passing or at the gas station. My $.02
Old 10-28-2003, 02:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #644 428 FE
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Here's the definitive answer

Approximately 175 Polish Zloty per kilo, at current exchange rates, excluding tax, title, shipping and spousal bribes.

I think that's responsive!

(I was going to use the Bhutan Ngultrum, but I'm not sure it is traded anymore ... besides I can't pronounce it!)

I'm getting old too fast and smart too slow!
Old 10-28-2003, 02:27 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     
Default Well, so far.......

......... I have about $22,188,342.84 Turkish Lira PER pound in the car. But remember, I did buy it used and with some miles on it!

Rick

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 10-28-2003, 02:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF replica, 351W, about 420 HP
Not Ranked     

Jamo: I was referring to the people being a dick for dick's sake, (lol)! they show no interest in the Cobra as a work of automotive art; I try to deflect the question towards what I think the replacement value would be, such as "I couldnt replace this Cobra for $50,000. Cowtown's quote about "Less than a new Corvette....." is the answer/philosophy that I was trying to convey. Thanks for the chance to clear up my position! Edley (or Edlee, if you so prefer!! think of me with a British accent!!! lol !!!)

"If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, you'll only get just one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playing, if you lose you got to pay, and if you make just one wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY. Expect no mercy.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: blue apparition
Not Ranked     
Default er....its called tact

i think everyone is saying that it depends on how the subject is broached. duh. if i were lucky enough to have one i'm not certain that I'd care to answer it directly. I think I would give an answer in the form of a range much like the idiots that I see ask about how much I paid for my lil 328. I give'em a plus or minus number. If they are really interested they can get the numbers with their own fingers and the internet...
Old 10-28-2003, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 427 Comp Cobra
Not Ranked     

The guys/gals that really want to know the $$ answer, can get all the information needed with just a little research. What I tell them about cost is, "I have dreamed about building and owning this car for 15 years. How much are dreams worth to you?" I'm active duty Air Force and live in base housing. People I run with know down to the penny what I make in the service. Most guys just want to know how I can afford to own it. I tell them I saved for several years and it was paid for before I picked it up.

Dreams do come true with a little time.
Charleston AFB SC

Load Clear!
Old 10-28-2003, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former Owner/Builder of KMP142 427 Sideoiler, Tunnel Wedge, Aluminum heads, etc.
Not Ranked     

I'm confused...........

Whatever happened to

None of your f-----g business!

Bud
Old 10-28-2003, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree with Jamo about educating the ignorant masses right up until the subject turns to money. I'll talk somebodies ear off about how these cars are built, what parts are in them, who the different manufacturers are, etc, etc. But NUKE427 said it well, its just the way I was raised.

My $0.02
Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 396 CI
Not Ranked     

I get asked occasionally too, but can't recall any insulting way guys have inquired how much my SPF cost. So i tell them with no hesitation "about $50K as it sits here."

I tend to wonder when they are admiring my car "is there any way i could ever manage to get one like this?", so the question is not offensive to me.

I guess in my profession, i ask folks really personal questions all day long, so i am not likely to be offended by anyones else's personal question of me.
IV Corps 71-72, Gulf War
Old 10-28-2003, 06:35 PM
(An All-Around Nice Guy)
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars (sold)
Not Ranked     

Bud Man says it pretty well, too.

I get the feeling that my response on a previous thread is what prompted Wayne to start this one. It is indeed one of the very few bad things (to me) about the Cobra ownership experience. Just as others have said, I have instances in which the individual expresses a true interest in possibly acquiring such a car and, in those cases, I answer honestly (unless my wife is nearby - then I reduce it a little ).

But seriously, I had a guy come out of a gas station the other day who obviously had no interest in the car except wanting to know how many Quicky-Marts he would need to rob to buy one. And of course he had the audacity to ask me how much I paid in front of two other perfect strangers. I don't remember exactly what I said but (a) I was polite and (b) I didn't tell him the answer.

It would be (slightly) better if they would at least add, "If you don't mind me asking..." or "I hate to ask you this but..." in front of the question. It would at least show some tact. Instead they just walk right up out of the blue and ask, "How much did you pay for that?"

It's a small price to pay for the ride, but it does get bothersome.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP286, Shelby 482, Webers, 593HP
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent Mills
Not Ranked     

I am often asked this...Aside frome being a bit rude, it makes me uncomfortable for a couple reasons.....I am very modest by nature, and although some who ask "how much" can afford it, most couldn't, so I don't like people to feel badly that some young ass like me can drive this thing around and they can't (probably something I need to get over). Secondly, you just never know who might be asking for the really wrong reasons (theft, etc)..... Paranoid? Nothing some drugs can't fix.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I understand where Jamo is coming from! If a person shows a sincere interest in the car, pull up a chair! I can talk "Cobra" for hours and LOVE to do so, EVERY aspect of it. But not with everybody, some folks are just to wierd. They won't get the price from me!

Ernie
Old 10-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 FIA, 347 stroker with Weber 48's, building a '48 Anglia gasser, driving a '55 Chevy resto-rod
Send a message via Yahoo to G.R.
Not Ranked     

My response is somewhat like Jamo's--unless it is a dickhead approach--the casual questioners gets a response of you can get into a replica for about 15-20k, if you do all the build yourself, or something like this for about 50k, if you're not a mechanic/builder--really depends--I think they're better than an 'vette, boxster, or z-3--if they are real interesested I'll go off on basically the same Jamo does--nothing like spending an hour at the pump talking cobra--lol
Old 10-29-2003, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I agree with Jamo, I don't see the big deal, alot of people have dreams, maybe they are trying to see if something like this can possibly fit in theirs, I would love to have a sailboat, G.R. has a sailboat, if I was talking with him, I might inquire what a nice 38 footer might cost but I am not going to ask is it financed, how much a month,what did you put down and so on, but if some dickhead told me "If you have to ask you can't afford it" I'd tell him to get Fu*&ed in no uncertain terms, that sounds like something some a$$hole snob would say, for gods sake lighten up, as Jamo said your darn near a celebrity in these things!!

If you can't afford what you want to buy, pick up a book and learn how to make it.