Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2005, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

Clay - Don can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the photo of 3047 in its blue & white color scheme was when it still had the 8.5" FIA wheels at the rear. The narrower wheel/ tire combination might make the flares look peculiar, but to me they look pretty correct for an S/C. Of course, that covers a lot of ground, as the width of the extra lip on the rear S/C flares differes from car to car. One might conclude several different people at Shelby American were assigned to modify the rear fenders to this configuration.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Thanks Ron........as usual, you always have "the answer," and I'm sure you're right given all your exhaustive research over the years.

Ned, I thought about the narrower wheel possibility, but the overall shape just looks different, especially at the rear from the angle on the blue version.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I like the gold. The fact it came that way originally would make it a no brainer as to what I would do....
Old 04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

If this was originally a blue car I would paint it the gold.

Problem with painting it Gold is matching the correct color. If that can be managed than great if not it could turn out not looking good.

Ron - you haven't upgraded to Platinum yet?
Old 04-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

gold.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 04-24-2005, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Gold is one of my least favorite colors on any car, but I have to agree with a couple of others, blue with white stripes is just so pervasive on modern replicas and continuation cars that it actually adds to the originality of this car to go back to the Hertz color. And to my surprise, it actually looks cool in the photo. Of course the new owner absolutely MUST sport mutton-chop sideburns and greased back hair to complete the "period original" look.

One reason the stripes may look wide, (if I recall correctly from a previous post) the former owner added those to the blue with a spray can.

Steve, if you would, please regale us with some details of your Delaware to NJ road trip. For most of us, we can only dream to sit in a parked original. What roads did you take, what were the reactions to the car, how did she run?

thanks for sharing

MT
Old 04-24-2005, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold 3047 & 3002 in 2012
Not Ranked     
Default 3047 Road Trip

I had the opportunity to drive it most of the way from Edgewater Maryland to a town in Southern, NJ covering a distance of 140 total miles. The little time I did not drive it, I was at the wheel of a Hennessy Daytona Viper Coupe which was a nice car but had a terrible exhaust note that could would make your head rattle at cruising RPM's. That part wasn't fun unless you were deaf.

CSX 3047 has always been a car the owner was not only proud to drive but in fact, did drive to many long distance events on a regular basis. He is the type of Cobra owner we should all aspire to be. Never worried about sweating the small stuff like paint chips and just drove the pants off the car that yielded a smile that took up 2 lanes. And rightfully so...
The car drove really well and didn't miss a beat. Even in traffic in the tunnel on route 95, no problem. I was actually surprised how predictable it felt for a well worn patina'd original.
It was neat watching the onlookers gawking and almost banging in to the car s in front of them when screaming out, "IS IT AN ORIGINAL REAL ONE"?
I stoped at a rest stop for a bite and had a crowd around the car. It was an event I will never forget.

www.competitionlife.com

"Hurry Up And Live"
Old 04-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

CSX 4027,

I bet you will never forget that drive. What an opportunity.
As far as color - my vote is for the gold and go with black pipes.
And just maybe, while we're at it, switch the quick jacks back to
the bumperettes. One benefit of the gold is that it doesn't show
dust nearly as much as most other colors. What, this car get dusty?
Right!
Old 04-25-2005, 04:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Steve, oh it's THAT car. I knew there was one over there, but never had a chance to see it. I live just on the other side of the river............you should have waved.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Original 427 S/C #CSX3047
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedsel

Clay - Don can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the photo of 3047 in its blue & white color scheme was when it still had the 8.5" FIA wheels at the rear. The narrower wheel/ tire combination might make the flares look peculiar, but to me they look pretty correct for an S/C.
The photo of 3047 in blue/white stripes was taken in 1989, when I drove it from Annapolis, Maryland to the 25th Anniversary GT40 Reunion at Watkins Glen, New York. In the photo, my friend and I are about to leave the motel for the Corning Center, where a dinner was being held for GT40 owners. The car had the standard SC rim package of 7-1/2 inch fronts and 9-1/2 inch rears. I think the tires were Hoosiers but am not sure.

The photo of the car in gold was sent to me in a color slide by Carter Gette. I also have two more from him, but the quality isn't very good, as apparently the slides were scorched a bit in a house fire that Carter had. I had the slides scanned and printed and then returned the slides to him. I really wish I had made an effort to get more information on the car from Carter before his death. The owners prior to Carter are a real mystery. I do have Richard Reventlow's telephone number and will scout him out one day to see what he can tell me about what happened to the car during his brief ownership. I have heard stories about a blowm motor.

Ned, I will send a 2MB file to you of the gold photo for use in the next SAAC Registry.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC BAGGED 427 SC,GUARDSMAN BLUE , WHITE STRIPES .
Not Ranked     

GOLD ..........BLING THAT THING ........id shoot its period colour with matt agent in the laquer to give it that paintina .. a car so unique requires preservation ......
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hawk 289FiA with Le Mans hardtop. AC CS(X)2131,289 (my father owned it from `67-`73)
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by HI Cobra
.... my vote is for the gold and go with black pipes.....Right!
I was starting to foam at the mouth when I read this.....
BLACK STRIPES.......ARE YOU MAD????????????
Ooops. then I re-read it. Oh, PIPES

Is the original paint salvageable? I would have thought the chances of stripping away and leaving any sort of usable finish would be low to none.

I think we definitely need more owners who are ballsy enough to do the least and retain the most....Cobras should look like they have LIVED!

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- Anna Sato-Williams.

"If I plagiarize, it's only because I like someone else's idea better than mine and I want credit for it."- nikbj68
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have pictures of an original gold car from a AAC convention in Dearborn. I think he was the original owner.I think his name was Bill Turner. Had a green 289 also.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Hoo-boy! Can you share those pictures?

If you send them to

ron.computerworks@gmail.com

I will get them up on this thread.

thanks much
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 12-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Steve it reminds me of a time when a friend asked me to to help him drive two original cars for an hour long trip. He gave me the choise of the 427 S/C (guardsman w/stripes) or the street 427 (green). I took the S/C. We stopped to fill up and had a crowd gathering to check out the cars. Kids in cars going crazy all kind of people checking out the cars while driving....fun time I'll never forget. Thankfully no issues or breakdowns!

Forgot to mention I would like to see it in Gold. As a lot have already stated for resale value alone you have to go gold!

Last edited by Sal Gerace; 12-04-2007 at 08:36 PM..
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

Ron I can't read all the numbers on that card. Can you do it again.........

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........