LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Interesting legal approach with the SAAC suit against Shelby. SAAC states the license agreement was secured through fraud.
In a nutshell, what is SAAC's argument for fraud as it pertains to obtaining the license agreement?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

What did I say about causing a rift ?????
Old 02-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

RodKnock,

I'm assuming that the fraud claim comes from the latest SAAC newsletter, (text below), but I could be wrong...

Dan

Once Shelby became more involved with cars, in the 1980s, the agreement he had with SAAC was based on a handshake. SAAC could use his name and likeness in the promotion and operation of the club. In the 1990s when his licensing company was chasing everyone who produced anything he had trademarked, SAAC received an official 12-page licensing agreement. “Why do we need this?” we asked him. “Don’t worry,” we were told, “it doesn’t change anything. It just keeps my lawyers happy.”

Last edited by Dan Stryffeler; 02-06-2008 at 12:58 PM..
Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

SAAC.

CS and his employees would have done a far better job embracing what SAAC had accomplished then going the route he chose.

The most disappointing aspect is that this lawsuit will drain resources away from both organizations that could provide better services to their respective (and in common) clientele.

What's the phrase ----"some people can't see the forest thru the trees"? I wish SAAC well, as this argument should have been debated in 197(x) while CS could have given 2 craps about Cobra anything, not over 30 years later.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

How are ya doin' Evan?
Old 02-06-2008, 02:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 FE S.O. 484 cu in
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheaton View Post
SAAC.

CS and his employees would have done a far better job embracing what SAAC had accomplished then going the route he chose.
The most disappointing aspect is that this lawsuit will drain resources away from both organizations that could provide better services to their respective (and in common) clientele.

What's the phrase ----"some people can't see the forest thru the trees"? I wish SAAC well, as this argument should have been debated in 197(x) while CS could have given 2 craps about Cobra anything, not over 30 years later.

This is a good point and and has been stated in other threads.
CS's lawyers must not be car guys.

As any P.R. person would agree the more you give away stuff or sell stuff with your name on it the better it is for business.
SAAC has promoted the Shelby label for years with out a dime from him.
That to me is free advertisement.
And pumped up genuine Shelby Mustangs and Cobras value as they have acquired information about and kept track where as many of the original cars are.

It just doesn't make sense.
Is he going to sue all those kids with his name too?
I wonder how the Ferrari club is doing?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatBuckley View Post
How are ya doin' Evan?
roflmao
Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2089
Not Ranked     

Back to topic it appears to me Shelby is paying a lot of people, a lot of money
to destroy his legacy for a freaking nickel.
It is sad, they are destroying the value of his name, dont get it.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
In a nutshell, what is SAAC's argument for fraud as it pertains to obtaining the license agreement?
Basically, from the filing, SAAC feels that C$ enjoined them to sign the agreement as a formality 'jus' ta keep my lawyers happy' and that the enforcement of the contract was to be superceded by the gentlemens agreement that had been in place for 30 years. This is lent credence by the fact that C$ did not seek the $1 per annum fee or financial statements in a timely manner.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
In this day and age of sue happy people a hand shake or Gentleman's Agreement means nothing. Crap, even a signed contract means nothing if one side sees a way to make more by ignoring it. Look at the baseball players who just walk out on multi year contracts, but insist that the team owners be held liable to honor the contracts.

Why can't SAAC and SCCA just get together and agree that the SCCA will continue to handle all of the older and original car records and registry and that SAAC will keep the records and do the registry for any Shelby stuff after his return from Africa? Guess that would make to much sense.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster 351W, T5, Red & White
Not Ranked     

The March edition of Road & Track has a four page article by Peter Egan, Editor-At-Large, starting on Page 87: " Lotus Summit, The Colin Chapman fan club and their cars gather.............."

Lotus, Ltd. Presents Lotus Owners Gathering 2007 in Aspen Snowmass, CO

A comparison can be made to the topic on this Thread on how Lotus/Chapman and the Lotus Owner's Group ( LOG ) have mutually benefitted from a very positive relationship .

To quote as written by Peter Egan:

" Ever since Colin Chapman conceived the simple yet perfect lines of the Lotus Seven in 1957, home mechanics and small volume car builders have been copying the classic boy-racer concept. Caterham of England can claim the direct blood lines-they acquired the rights to the original Lotus design from Chapman himself and are still building the 7 with various driveline and suspension options-but many others have joined the almost-a-Lotus ranks of 7 builders as well. Westfield, for example, has made both 7 and Lotus II-style kits and these cars, interestingly enough, were openly accepted at LOG27. No snobbery here with Lotuses, the cult of physics and concept is at least as powerful as that of the number plate "

Note: Three of the Concurs Award Classes were Caterham 7, Replica and Extreme Street Modified
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
In this day and age of sue happy people a hand shake or Gentleman's Agreement means nothing. Crap, even a signed contract means nothing if one side sees a way to make more by ignoring it. Look at the baseball players who just walk out on multi year contracts, but insist that the team owners be held liable to honor the contracts.

Why can't SAAC and SCCA just get together and agree that the SCCA will continue to handle all of the older and original car records and registry and that SAAC will keep the records and do the registry for any Shelby stuff after his return from Africa? Guess that would make to much sense.

Ron
When did the Stock Car Club of America get involved with this mess?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well Ron61 is a little older than most of us and I'm sure it's just a typo or a senior moment (SCCA vs SAI) so we should cut him a little slack (or a lot, as the case may be).

By the way, Ford is going after people using the Mustang label, among other names, and has been for a year or so.

Quote:
A source at Ford, who asked to remain anonymous, explained that Ford has decided to "reclaim its legacy" by protecting its trademarks and logos. "The intent is to eliminate the use of trademark names,"
Sounds very much like what Shelby is saying.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

1NTCOBRA,

Sorry, my bad. It was a typo and I never read the post very closely before submitting it. I meant to put the new Team Shelby group and was looking at one of my old SAAC Magazines while posting. It had an article about an SCCA event in it and I just messed up. When you get past your teen years and into the age range I am, it is very difficult to think and read at the same time.

Ernie was correct. At my age you don't have Senior Moments, you have Prehistoric Minutes.

Edited To Correct Magazine name:

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery

Last edited by Ron61; 02-07-2008 at 10:35 AM..
Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

1NTCOBRA,

Sorry, my bad. It was a typo and I never read the post very closely before submitting it. I meant to put the new Team Shelby group and was looking at one of my old SAAC Magazines while posting. It had an article about an SCCA event in it and I just messed up. When you get past your teen years and into the age range I am, it is very difficult to think and read at the same time.

Ernie was correct. At my age you don't have Senior Moments, you have Prehistoric Minutes.

Edited To Correct Magazine name:

Ron
Don't worry about apologizing for confusing me. Sometimes it does not take much.

Your post makes sense to me now if I do the following:
- replace SCCA with SAAC
- replace SAAC with SAI/TeamShelby
Old 02-07-2008, 12:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Gee. Might we learn something from our British friends about how to run a marque club? Lotus is like most of the Brit clubs. Open and welcoming to those in love with the Marque's history, rather than just their own prestige.

Nah! NIH prevails. Not invented here.

Meanwhile, i thought the New (1959) name of the current SCCA was Sports Car Club of America, as before. But, certainly not Stock cars. 'Cause, they certainly aren't very stock at the SCCA Nationals. Then again, the original club membership of "real" sports cars, that is, those refusing to allow chicken'swit roll bars welded into their primo Pakard SpeedTwins, Bugattis, Talbots or Delahayes, became the VINTAGE Sports Car Club of America. THEY are at least sort of stockish, with some period improvements for safety and a little less cheating. Most of them, however, are only barely streetable and not often registered.

Now, Stock Cars, are really USAC and its various spin-offs. They long ago stopped being even CLOSE to stock cars, thanks to Smokey, Junior, Fireball and lots of other real heros.

Perfectly clear, right?

There are nof 'rigging stock cars. (Well, there are a few in time trials and some rallys and gymkanas and a few ice races and ...)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Last edited by What'saCobra?; 02-07-2008 at 12:23 PM..
Old 02-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...just checking in... everything OK here?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Seems OK since Jamo sent a couple of guys to go sit in the corner for a while.

One real Shelby collector and one Shelby wannabe collector.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

...that's good.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby